Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (up to 1996)

mjankmjank Posts: 1
I just purchased a used windshield frame for my 88 Wrangler. The glass was bad but the frame was good. Removal was tough due to the glass being caulked in. Are all of the 88 Wrangler windshields caulked in? Would you advise me to take both the new frame and my old one with the good glass to a pro to switch them?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,927
    There's a recent similar thread about this over in the Wrangler Problems discussion:

newjack1, "Jeep Wrangler: Problems and Solutions" #343, 19 Jun 2006 2:31 pm

Check it out while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ufmikeufmike Posts: 4
    After I changed my oil I checked the dipstick and it still read "Add Oil". I even used 6 quarts instead of 5.5 quarts. I checked all over and could not find any leakages. I have a 1996 wrangler with 230,000 miles and the 4.0L six cylinder engine. Any ideas why all of sudden the oil is coming up short?
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    If you have not had the Jeep since new, there is the possibility that the original dipstick was lost and replaced with the incorrect one. Also make sure nothing is causing the dipstick to hang up so that it doesn't go down all the way. My 1997 Jeep with the 4.0L takes a full 6 quarts each oil change, as it should with a filter change, and reads full when I am done.
  • ufmikeufmike Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah it could be that the dipstick was a little bent or something. Or maybe I should add 6.5 quarts because the mileage is so high. I haven't had my jeep since new, but I have had it for the last 110K miles, and I have changed the oil numerous times without incident.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I realize that I am replying to a post that was made five months ago, but, in case someone else comes along... no, the crankcase capacity does not change as the vehicle gets older. If it took six quarts of oil to fill the crankcase when the vehicle was new, it shoud STILL take six quarts.

There must be something wrong with the dipstick, or maybe someone has altered the oil filtering system in some way, so that more oil is required to fill the system.

Over-filling too much is definitely NOT good for the engine, so be careful.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • trying to sell. need a fair asking price. 1990 wrangler. hardtop. automatic. 6 cylinder. kc lights on top. problems: needs new flywheel. new ring and pinion. small leak in transfer case. and a bearing broke where the gas pedal attaches to the cable that it controls. not trying to rip anybody off, so i'm wondering what it's worth. also, pioneer am/fm/cd face off. guard rails all around as well. thanx to anybody that can please help me.
  • so i was coming out of a neiborhood and my jeep that i just got yesterday for christmas started ticking and im new to driving a stick so i down shifted and slowed down and it still ticked as i was pulling of the road i put it into nuetral and it died then white smoke started coming out and a "highlighter" green color liquid was every ware so i called my dad n grandad and they said i had i had a blown hose so me and my dad went to the auto store and went back and replaced it i cranked it and its started right up but when i put it into reverse it got hot fast and then stalled and now it wont crank so i left it and were gonna go back any suggestions on whats wrong and preventatives id appresiate it greatly!

thanks
    Littleredjeep
    Hope some more mechanically inclined folks will jump in here and offer their suggestions, but here's all that I know to tell you, Littlered:

Your coolant is either not circulating, or else, if it IS circulating, its heat is not being dissipated.

Possible causes for coolant not circulating would include:

1. Thermostat stuck closed
    2. Water pump not working
    3. Air pocket in the cooling system somewhere, preventing circulation
    4. Radiator clogged

About the only possible cause for the heat in your coolant not being dissipated that I can think of would be that your radiator fan is not working. (Your coolant circulates through the jacket surrounding the cylinders in your engine block and absorbs the heat from the combustion of the gasoline vapor when the cylinders fire. The hot coolant is then supposed to circulate to the radiator, where the radiator fan is supposed to cool it back down, before it returns to the engine to once again take the heat away from the cylinders.)

There is another possibility for the heat not being dissipated by the radiator, and that would be due to mud covering the radiator fins. This would have an insulating effect and keep the water from cooling as the fan blows cool air across the fins.

Good luck.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • i appriciate you help i fixed it i changed the termostat and put a new radiator in it well a rebuilt but its running alright i think my trany might be slipping when its in 1st it kinda jumps and all this is my first stick but im getting the hang of it i just have to concentrate and not talk or smoke or listen to the radio loudly which i like to do all of them while driving but hope it works out tommarrow im taking it to get a shock re welded it was broke when i bought it and i think me and my grandad are gonna clean out the battery tray its rusted over but once again i thank you for you help! so what kind of jeep do you have?? any problems?

thanks
    Lilredjeep :confuse:
    Lilred:

I have a 2001 Wrangler Sport. She has been pretty much trouble free, except for things that have happened while I was off roading her.

She has seen many, many hours on the trails, and considering what she has been through, it is truly amazing how few things have "broken."

Hey, you should join us over at the "Jeep Wrangler" forum. That's where folks get together and discuss anything pertaining to Jeeps or Jeepin'. There are over 22,000 posts in there.

What's your first name?

Tom
  • boobahboobah Posts: 18
    I have a 87 Jeep Wrangler in perfect condition, except for a bad engine knock. I need to know how and where and whats a resonable price for a new engine. Because of the age of the car, and the fact that I'm a woman, auto shops see dollar signs when I walk in. I'm in northern NJ, and am getting desperate. Thank you!!!! ">
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    To get an idea of the cost for the engine itself use the internet. Check also with auto parts stores like NAPA and Autozone. Pricing varies throughout the country for both parts and labor so you need to check locally as well.

What you say about being a woman is unfortunately true, so have a male friend make any phone calls. It should be possible to get an accurate quote over the phone, as removing and replacing a Jeep engine is pretty straightforward. There should be no hidden surprises, but expect to have to renew hoses, clips, odd nuts and bolts, and consider having a new clutch installed as well.
    Thanks for the info..found a place in NC called NYBlock..he said an engine is 1575..Jasper is higher..I have a friend who can make the calls..my estimates have run from 1500-4200....Even Jeep said the latter was way too high...It's a huge pain in the butt, but well worth the effort..the Jeeps in great shape, and I admit to being a little Jeep crazy:) SO Thanks!
    I'd do that..have had my 87 replaced 2x's..second because the first was not done properly and the guy left town..make sure the caulking is done right, also....water leaks...have had to recaulk mine a couple of times. Good luck..
  • how much should I plan on spending for a clutch repair?
  • governgovern Posts: 1
    just bought my first wrangler two days ago....now i find when i turn on the heating only cold air will blow....help
  • Hello, looking for a little insight. I have a 1988 wrangler and it is making a popping sound in the front drivers side wheel whenever I make a turn. Does anyone have any ideal what that would be coming from? Thank you
  • hi, did u get a reply for this yet? i have a 95 wrangler and the same thing happened to me. there's a latch right below the passenger seat that allows heat from the engine to flow in. when u go over bumps n stuff this latch pops out. it's hard to explain, you just need to pop it back into the slot. i can show u if you want.
  • Thank you for the reply, had not heard anything from anyone on the issue. I have to talked some local people and so far the information I recieved is that it could be the cvc joint. Thank you for the response. If you let know the information you have on the latch you were talking about I will check it out.
  • ladyramladyram Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 jeep wrangler and the engine turns over but wont start. the engine light does not come on right a way. I have to turn the key on and off for about five mints. Or untill i hear a clicking noise under the hood then the light comes on and i can start it.
  • jeeptwojeeptwo Posts: 8
    I have a 93 Wrangler with a 4cyl....I want to put a 305 V8 with a 700R Transmission...I am sure I would have to replace the front and rear ends...what about the transfer case?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Any time you go to a larger output engine, you really need to address the strength of your transmission and components. Even with the TJ, they used different transmissions.

As for the t-case, you MAY be able to get away with using the same one, but you may want to consider something with a stronger rating to handle the power from the engine.

-Paul
  • jeeptwojeeptwo Posts: 8
    I was contemplating putting a v8 in my 93 jeep; however I found a Chevy 4.3L V-6 that has been rebuilt and ready to put into a '81-86 CJ7...are there considerable differences between the CJ7 and my Wrangler. Would this 4.3 be a good fit for my 93 Wrangler?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Honestly, don't know.

But I'd check for basic fitment and see how the motor mounts would mate up.

-Paul
    I am looking for a black in dash ashtray for an 87 jeep wrangler..impossible to find...engine is rebuilt..body perfect, just need the ashtray to complete the picture for myself, and for insurance purposes..THANKS javajive@aol.com
  • babe8256babe8256 Posts: 6
    Hi There

I hope someone can help me. This is very urgent. I have purchased a new theromostat housing unit for my Jeep Wrangler 1989 2.5 4cl. However it does not have the plug that I require (it didnt come with it) I am in the UK and the company I bought it from are not being very helpful they said that they think the part is no longer available. Please see pictures below and advise where I could buy this plug? I need to sell my Jeep asap as I am no longer permitted to park it where it is and without the plug it does not start.

Thank you so much for your help.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • burntupburntup Posts: 64
    It looks like this is simply a pipe plug.
    You might find what you need at the hardware store.
    Brass plugs are usually a good choice for this as they are less likely to be over tightened.
    Use teflon tape on the threads and you should be OK.
    Sounds like the supplier is not willing to take a little time to help a guy out. Jerks.
  • babe8256babe8256 Posts: 6
    Thanks very much for your great advise burntup.
    I had my 258 engine rebuilt...got it out and it continually missed...a new ignition switch was put in, carb rebuilt, plugs,wires rotor and distributor cap....got it out and it missed and bucked...brought it back & he's saying the the ignition switch was bad..3000 dollars later...could it be anything else he is overlooking? I'm desperate..javajive@aol.com