Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Electrical Problems

mrcatmrcat Posts: 1
I have an 04 Monterey minivan an I am experiencing serious electrical problems. The battery light comes on and stays on for about 30 seconds then goes off. After this, the dash lights and radio go off. Most of the time they come back on within a few seconds. Recently I noticed that if I turn the headlights off and then back on, the dash lights and the radio come back on right away. Sometimes when this happens, the display states to "Check braking system" and then goes to "Check traction control." The dealer thought this was related to the aftermarket remote starter I had installed, the starter was in the van for about 18 months before these problems began. I had a new remote starter installed and things were fine for about three months. The exterior lights remain on when this happens and the van runs fine otherwise. Has anyone else experienced any problem like this? Any ideas on what the problem might be? I plan on taking it to a different dealer next week. Thanks

Comments

• We have the same vehicle but, to the best of my knowledge (my wife drives it mostly), we have not had this happen. However, I had to drive it about a week ago and I noticed the display on the radio was flashing and was totally frozen and would not play. I couldn't switch to CD, change stations, nothing. I forgot to ask my wife about it but the next time I used the van (a couple days later) it was fine and hasn't happened since. Not sure if could be similar/related electrical issues causing that as well.

Another thing I noticed is that the cruise control no longer works either. Does anyone know what I could check there? Is there a fuse controlling that which may need to be replaced?

:confuse:
  • gjgjgjgj Posts: 1
    had a '93 sable wagon. different animal I know. fought electrical problems for a while. tuffy (up the street) fixed it for a couple of hundred $ or so. it was the (let me get this right) steering wheel electrical rotating connections. they have an acronym for it. mechanic also told me to replace another gizmo near the base of the steering wheel and firewall at the same time (done). I thought he was trying to drum up business by replacing the gizmo at the same time. -turns out he was right! an ole timer had to redo his connector as well, but did not replace the gizz. cost him much more $$$. IF you DO NOT replace this other gizmo along w/ the circular connector assy, shame sham sha sh.
    as you turn the steering wheel (thousands of times), horns, lights, bags, cruises, etc all go through this electrical box of rotating contacts. sound controls too?? it gets wooorrrn out. 125k for me. also all this stuff is plugged into the Friggin 'puter. = disaster dollars! ford knows about this issue, and the motors manuals even have a specific time code for this operation. software at tuffy shows this too....

trying to replace my 93 sable wagon, but having a hell of a time finding the same features. ... tall guy's tilt wheel (no knee bashing), cornering lights, instruments that a blind guy can see, low deck (so the two old arthritic labradors can get in easily), ability to tow my boat, plenty of trip/luggage/tools/stuff/ room and oh yes--- keep the fiance happy too (not so hard to do).

enjoy your F O R D.
  • Not sure if my problem is electrical or not.....checking to see if anyone else has had this happen. I was driving to Ohio from Northern Michigan last night about 11 pm...doing about 75 mph on a two-lane highway in the left lane, with my four children (ages 13, 10, 8 and most complicating....15 months) when my van simply "died". No sputtering, jerking, or anything else...it was as if I had pulled out the key. Blinkers and windows still worked, but no steering abiltiy (minimal), no brakes, no gas....Thank God the highway was not crowded, and I was able to use all of my strength to turn the wheel about a centimeter, and "coast" over the the shoulder. Luckily, no one was hurt. The van would start again, but "die" after 5 seconds. We were towed to Jackson, Mi. where I had to leave the van until they can see it on Monday. Has this happened to anyone else? Noticed lots of transmission issues with the freestar on this blog. It was really frightening.

Thanks,
    Mother of four.
  • Arolwing,
    I just bought a used 07' Freestar with less than 30k. (Less than 5 days ago in fact). I have been reading posts like yours and I'm curious to see how your story ended or what caused this? I have 3 young kids in the van now, and will take my oldest back to Florida from Georgia on the 13th...so I'm concerned.
  • Hi....

Our problem was quickly identified and remedied....apparently a vaccuum hose came loose, and detached from some area near the fuel pump, causing either too much or too little air (I forget) to circulate with the fuel, which caused the vehicle to stall. They reportedly re-attached the hose and "double-wrapped" it, in hopes it won't happen again. Our van has 17,000 miles on it....clearly it should have been wrapped tighter to begin with. I'd have them check this vaccuum hose and make sure it is secure. It was quite scary. Good luck and safe travels!
  • This same thing happened to me today, luckily I did not have my kids with me and safely pulled over. There was no warning. I was driving about 45 mph and it just stalled. No power stearing, no brakes, nothing. I tried to start it a few times afterwards and nothing. The Ford dealership said that later they drove it right into the shop and can't find anything wrong with it. If it was a loose vacuum hose I don't think it would have been able to start back up later. Anyone else have this happen?They said there is nothing on the Ford website that comes up as a problem. My BIL is a Ford mechanic and he said they were telling the truth, there is nothing on Fords website. He is trying to do some research and see if he can find the problem. I told him about everyone on this site. I have had this van in the shop almost every month in the 2 years we have had it for various problems, but this is the first time I have been stranded. I am sick of this lemon!!!
  • mmccain1mmccain1 Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 freestar with a wierd problem i can't figure out..my when the car is parked -- not running the inside and outside lights will come on at random ..stay on for a random amount of time and go back off..this keeps draining my battery after a night of it..it will stop doing it for months and then do it for weeks???? i called the dealership but they said they never heard of this kind of problem..disconnected the headlight switch to try to isolate the problem but that just makes the headlights stay on all the time...so frustrated and poor...was hoping somebody has seen this before and can steer me in the right direction...thank you....
  • momtobcltmomtobclt Posts: 19
    I had this problem among many others. Recently I had (someone correct me if this isn't the correct term) the power control module replaced. Moisture was getting in there and causing havoc with my van. Since it has been replaced I haven't had any issues.
  • rosco804rosco804 Posts: 6
    i have a 2005 Ford Freestar, with about 90,000km's on it... very long story short.. my wife had it quit on her while driving in a rain storm... the thing would not start... it would turn over, but thats it... after the rain stopped and a while later it would start again, run for a short distance and then quite again, and I mean quit... just like someone turned the key off while driving.. so I blogged the problem and also read about the PCM (power control module) getting wet... I also found Fords Technical Bulletin 06-10-14 on line.. its convered by warranty if you still have one.. I didnt so I bought a really good tube of 100% silicone rubber ($4.00) and following the instructions... I removed the PCM module which had signs of water on it.. the 40 pin connector was also damp inside... left a room fan on both of these for about 4 days straight... put it back in, siliconed the heck out of the recessed connectors (as stated in the tech bulletin), did not use the weather stripping as suggested, as silicone works better... put the thing back together and its perfect (knock on wood, its been two weeks now and about 500kms)... ford dealership wanted $300 to fix it... what bothers me is that they know there is a problem, hence the tech bulletin, but are unwilling to pay for it to get fixed... crazy!!!... anyways, best $4 I have ever spent... now, after all the blogging, I am afraid of my tranny quitting on me... ce le vie!!
  • mok1mok1 Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 04 Mercury Monterey, basically the Freestar. I am also having the stalling/restarting issue. For about a year, it has every once in a while not started after I drove for a long time and the engine was hot. It would always start back up after it sat for 15 to 30 minutes. Then it started doing it all the time. The last 3 times I have driven, it has stalled while driving just like you and other s on this post. It will leave me stranded depending on if i am on a hill or not. Again, I have always gotten it started, but the last time, it took over 1 hour. I asked several car sites for help. they all have said it was the fuel pump. it sort of made sense. After is cools down a bit, it starts, but now I am thinking it has more to do with the vacuum line being loose. I haven't had time to mess with it yet. This will be my first step before I drop the cash on the new pump. Have you had any luck getting it diagnosed and/or fixed? Just curious.
  • mok1mok1 Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 04 Mercury Monterey, basically the Freestar. I am also having the stalling/restarting issue. For about a year, it has every once in a while not started after I drove for a long time and the engine was hot. It would always start back up after it sat for 15 to 30 minutes. Then it started doing it all the time. The last 3 times I have driven, it has stalled while driving just like you and other s on this post. It will leave me stranded depending on if i am on a hill or not. Again, I have always gotten it started, but the last time, it took over 1 hour. I asked several car sites for help. they all have said it was the fuel pump. it sort of made sense. After is cools down a bit, it starts, but now I am thinking it has more to do with the vacuum line being loose. I haven't had time to mess with it yet. This will be my first step before I drop the cash on the new pump. Have you had any luck getting it diagnosed and/or fixed? Just curious. Thanks, Mok
    I did get it figured out, thanks to this site! It is the Power Control Module (PCM). It was getting moisture in there and messing with all of the electrical components of my van. Since being fixed I haven't had any problems. There is a Ford service bulletin for this. If you look back a few pages of posts you will find it. I hope you can get it fixed. There is a pp who dried his out himself and put silicone on it and it has been fine. If it is under warranty, print off the bulletin and take it in. That's what I did.
  • mercmontymercmonty Posts: 9
    2004 Monterey can't get the warning light to go off, but the tires are fine. Also the traction control will shut off for no reason. The van will buck once in a while going down the hwy like a tranny slip or a misfire. Help please :sick:
  • rsc3rsc3 Posts: 1
    What would cause a 2005 freestar to stop suddenly on the highway going 65 mile an hour. NO warning. It just stopped. thankfully I went from the far left lane across 3 lanes of traffic with .no power steering.The electrical system still worked as the lights, windows , radio etc work. I couldn't get the van to restart. We noted in the week or two prior to this that when the air conditioner was turned on it seemed to pull power from the engine...it took longer to go from 30 mph to 50 etc. Once the air conditioner was turned off , then it was easier to get the speed up faster. This was not happening last summer so I know it isn't something that just "happens" when the air is used. It was also raining. It is being service now and they say they were able to drive it into the shop and the computer didn't show any codes & they don't know what it is. So far two days in the service dept. This has scared the crap out of me. I did tell the service manager that I would be dealing with Ford if this wasn't figured out. We were almost killed.
    I'm sure it is the power control module (PCM). Most of us have had the same problem. It happened twice to me before we had the PCM replaced. Moisture gets in because the seal is not good and causes all kinds of electrical problems. The reason the computer doesn't show any codes is because it is a complete power failure. The exact same thing happened with me.
  • I know exactly whats going on with this Vehicle. The computer is getting wet and shorting out. My 2005 Ford freestar did the same thing and was in the shop three times within 40 days, It had to be towed to the dealer on two occasions. First time they replaced the computer. Second time they replaced the shroud that disperses the
    water away from computer supposedly and dried out the computer. the third time they said it was a design flaw and said that the computer was still wet from last time.
    I put 30,000 miles a year on my car. This car was 3 years old and out of warranty.
    this time I gave them the keys. And bought a Toyota. This was a dangerous situation losing power in the middle of the Highway. I'm being sued by Marine Federal for the balance of 15,000.00 owed on Vehicle after auction sold it for $5,000
    roughly $4,000 under value. by the way this is a lemon. electric windows don't work sometimes, Door locks pop up and down by themselves or sometimes don't work at all. door ajar lights and chime refuse to go off. Windshield wipers and radio would come on and off without being turned on. and air conditioner compressor fried within second year of ownership. I believe this was all caused by the same thing, Rain and moisture getting into the computer. a design flaw that the dealer said it had after they could not fix it they had the audasity to tell me to take it to a body shop. I wish I had to money to sue the crap out of Ford for ruining my credit and almost putting me out of business. If I were you I would see what kind of Lemon law you have in your state. and by all means when it comes to cars, Stay away from American made. I love America But our cars are crap
  • So since we all agree on the PCM being the problem and I know there are actually 3 of them in the Freestar, can anyone tell me where they are located in the Van. Maybe I should check them out before winter really sents in!
  • 2004 ford freestar sel 4.2L
    I'm having problems with rough/stalling engine while idle. This is not good when you're waiting at a stop light and frustrating when you're in a drive thru. It occasionally pulses when going down the highway threatening to stall. It has done it once I believe while on the highway, but a few times while in motion in town. It sometimes starts back up and other times I've had to let it sit before I could restart it. The other part of it is that when I press on the gas at times there is a sound like a coin rattling in a can coming from the engine. Could I be right that it's the PCM or is it the fuel pump? :confuse:

Other info: the transmission was replaced in Sept 09 and the vacuum hose in Feb
    there were previously codes that banks 1 and 2 were running lean, but there is no check engine light coming on now. Any suggestions are appreciated! :D
  • dcreekdcreek Posts: 2
    My van has had me stranded several times, the first two times I had to have the van towed to my mechanic. It took the second time for him to figure out it was the fuel reset button. The fuel pump would shut off for no reason and the engine would stop due to no fuel. I have to open the back panel in the van where the jack is and push the red button (fuel pump switch) and the van will start right on up. I have called ford and it is not under a recall, maybe we should pressure them since this can cost us our lives on the road. It will cost too much money for me to repair it. Always check this button first before calling the tow company. If you do not have a smart or honest mechanic it may cost you dearly...
  • dcreekdcreek Posts: 2
    check the fuel resest button, push the button if the van stalls and will not start. the button is located in the trunk area behind the right panel behind the tail lights.