Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestar Electrical Problems

Comments

• OK.. We have had the same issues as all of you... tire light not going off.. radio going crazy... car jurking forword when starting... starting van, and when the car is put into drive.. it stalls....
    So far we have replaced the PCM.. and no the van won't even start..

Ford needs to answer to this...
  • nakay14nakay14 Posts: 1
    Hi, I had a similar issue, which came down to a loose vacuum hose :) . There are quite a few, so you may just want to check them to make sure they are connected properly. Also may want to check for any damaged ones. I have a 2004 Freestar & I have to say it is a tank & we really like it. The only problem we have had so far is that the passenger side window won't roll down or up. I'm thinking it might be a fuse, but so far haven't located it. The owner's manual has been no help. Anyone have any ideas? Any help help would be much appreaciated, as I don't want to take a simple problem into the dealership, because we just can't afford that right now. Thanks & everyone have a wonderful day!
  • tdoughartytdougharty Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my van but with the drivers side window. It turned out that it wasn't an electrical problem at all. I took the door panel off and moved the window motor with my hand and it started working. I noticed that when the window got all the way to the top or bottom, the motor would torque and then it would quit working again. If I held the motor with my hand towards the inside of the vehicle, It would work every time. I took some wire ties and wrapped around the motor to the inside of the door frame (there is a hole in the door panel frame right by the very bottom of the motor). This held the motor towards the inside of the car when it hit top or bottom and fixed the problem. So far its been working for about a month.
  • djcriddledjcriddle Posts: 6
    Yeah, we still don't know exactly what it is. All the vacuum hoses have either been replaced or checked over thoroughly. One time when it was acting up I wiggled things and when I jiggled the Mass Airflow Sensor just right it started running normal. Since we had previously changed that MAF sensor out we just cleaned it and the connector and it still gave us problems. So for the time being we are driving the van without the MAF in and it's been running just fine. lol It's like $180 part so we'll change it out when we get the extra money and hope that's what it was, just another faulty MAF sensor. I'll keep posted once we replace it though. thanks
  • bassman66bassman66 Posts: 1
    It is amazing. We seem to have exactly the same problems that everyone has listed. The passenger window has supposedly been fixed twice...as soon as the work is out of warranty, it seems to break again. We have had alot of the same problems. The tire light would not go off, radio going crazy, the car "was" jurking forword when starting and stall. It stopped and would not start again. The cam sensor, the computer, and one other major item have all been replaced...and we are told that it still will not start...Is the 2004 Freestar under any types of recalls for all the recurring problems?
  • robitzerrobitzer Posts: 4
    I have had many of these WIndstar/Freestar vans....AND problems. Just disvicered yesterday....pull the PCM out (under Pass side cowel in engine compartment...all the way to left (when facing motor) and and right under Windshield. The Pcm has a plug that screws on...remove plug....LOOK AT plug. Any green pins or green areas? 100% of these vehicles get a wet PCm- pulll the PCM out and replace it and I bet your problems awill end IF IF you seal the PCm and plug with diaelectric grease. I just ordered a new PCM yesterday...ebay at $80.00. Good luck!
  • dayspringdayspring Posts: 7
    I fixed the problem by giving the vehicle back to the dealership under the lemon law.
    Bought a Toyota instead. I will never buy a ford again
  • bodsbods Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,I`m in the UK trying to help out my wifes sister in Virginia,her Ford Free Star developed a fault when she ran it low on gas,she did`nt run out but the engine management light came up on the dash. When she got it checked apparently the fault code read as, high fuel pressure. The mechanic checked the pressure and it was normal,so he reset the system,a few days later the lamp came on again,she took it back to the garage and had it re checked, again the fuel pressure was normal,so the mechanic said its just one of those things,dont worry to much about it. The problem I can see is,what if something else goes wrong,the lamp is already lit.I`m wondering could it be a faulty sensor,the mechanic says they about $180.. to change but wont gaurenttee that it would cure the problem. Anybody had this problem?
    I would suggest reading about PCM faults (other related messages) and mis-diagnosis of problems due to PCm getting wet. Good Luck~
    Thanks on the Info for where to look for the PCM. We pulled off the cowls and got to the PCM unscrewed it and it is just fine. No signs on either the PCM or the plug that there is or was a moisture problem. So onto the next item, the Ignition control Module. But not quite sure where it is on our 2004 Freestar. The Haynes manual only gives the location of the windstar ICM not the Freestar. lol
    Since we have had both O2 sensor checked this only leaves the MAF, the ICM, the Fuel pump or that reset switch. Will get the ICM checked by next weekend for sure.
    Will keep posted.
    This is purely a guess but...the WIndstar and Freestar are basically the same vehicle with some minor trim changes and a different engine (same AX4N Trans). I suspect an ICM on the Freestar is in the same location as the WIndstar
    We checked. The Haynes manual says passenger side fender wall, between the coolant reservoir and the right strut tower. We didn't see it. guess we're blind. lol :D
  • ffemt451ffemt451 Posts: 1
    My family has a 2004 Freestar we were at the store the other day after a 10 mile drive and the van died it initially restarted without any problems so we parked it and went in the store when we came back out and tried to start it it would click only once like the starter couldn't turn the flywheel anyone else ever have this problem? We had the starter tested and it came back fine but I can't get it to start!
  • Where do I start...purchased a 2004 Freestar privately and after a week the transmission and computer went out. My wife turned it on one day and it wouldn't go anywhere. Had it towed to Ford dealer and they replaced both items. Brought it home and after a week or two the van stalled and coasted to the side of a gravel road. Again would not go into drive or reverse and it happened after a heavy rain which I thought was interesting. Had it towed back to Ford dealer and after a month or so of troubleshooting they thought it was a bad PCM from Ford and they replaced it. (Ford covered it apparently) I expressed from the get go that I thought water was getting into the PCM due to forums like these and they disagreed with me. So I took the van home after the different PCM was installed and the next morning the battery was dead. After troubleshooting, I found out that the van was turning on the radio and listening to 590 AM w/out the keys in the ignition. Again this confirmed my idea about water getting into the PCM. Took it back to dealer and they again disagreed with me and after a couple months of troubleshooting on their part finally found water in the PCM. Except this time they want me to cover the new PCM!! Unbelieveable. They will not back down from this and I even called Ford and complained to them about this whole situation and engineering problem on their end. Nothing...and let it be known that i am a FORD guy! This has really left me wondering if I will purchase another Ford. Very upset. I have spent 3500 on it already and if i have to pay for the PCM it will be another 700. I found a post about a guy finding a firewall support column full of water and drilling a hole in it but the dealer won't even try to find this column. Have tried to pick it up twice and both times the service engine light comes on before going more than 10 miles. This time it is saying the cam sensor. I think water is still getting into the computer even though they claim to have siliconed the heck out of it. The TSB 6-10-14 has already been done apparently.
  • zildzild Posts: 1
    I too have had my PCM "fixed"....for $500....about 3 years ago. It ran fine after that. Now a new problem and I was hoping to get some opinions here.

1. In the last 2 months I've had my AC "recharged" and the transmission rebuilt. Does anybody know if the guys doing any of that work would have reason to access the PCM? If so, they probably didn't re-seal it properly and I should do it. My electrical problem seems to happen more in wet weather.....or maybe it's coincidence.

I suspect I have a short:

2. Sometimes when trying to start the van it just goes 'click', 'click', 'click', etc. So I lightly jiggle the positive battery cable and it will start. Sometimes it takes 1-2 tries...sometimes it takes 7-9 tries.....but always worked for last few weeks. Had it checked at Autozone.....Starter is good, Alternator is good, battery was bad so I replaced it 2 weeks ago and still have the problem. Went to leave for work today and it won't start. Tried the jiggle wire trick 25-30 times.....no deal.

a. All the connections are tight: Battery terminal, starter, ground.
    b. When it does not start, I still have power.....windows work, lights work, bell goes ding, ding with door open.
    c. One time the van will go click, click, click, etc. Jiggle cable and maybe it will just go click (once) and then dead. Jiggle cable again and maybe get absolutely nothing--no click, completely dead (but still have lights, bell, etc.) Every time I jiggle the cable I get one of these responses....completely random.

For the last 2 weeks it hasn't been too bad. Like I said, usually only 2 or 3 jiggles and I would find the "sweet spot" and the van would start.

Do these symptoms sound like water in the PCM?

I suspect that a short developed somewhere in the positive cable over time but never reared it's ugly head until somebody got under there and moved stuff around while working on the van. Does this sound to anyone like I'm on the right track?
  • rosco804rosco804 Posts: 6
    hello farmtech31 and ffemt451:

please read my posting, I believe its # 11, (re the 2005 freestar with 90,000...)

Sounds like the trouble I had could be what you went through... I was lucky enough to spend less than $10 to get it fixed...

Sorry you already spent the money, but hopefully this info will find you... go after Ford... thats ridiculous what they did to you..

Rosco
  • I am currently having an electrical problem with my 05 Freestar. My light out indicator is coming on occasionally and when it does, the van will not shift from park into any gear, the passenger side headlight is out, no brake lights, no driver side rear turn signal or tail light and my driver side cornering light is on even when the turn signal is not on. Has anyone had any issues like this? If so what is the fix? I've tried the brake on off switch, also replaced the smart junction box or internal fuse box. Neither of these took care of the problem.
  • Google "PCM problems with WIndstar/Freestar vans. I suspect you have a corrosion problem with your PCM which can cause your problems.
  • I believe your problem is your PCM. It is getting wet and shorting out, It is a design flaw. Mine caused me all kinds of grief. Wipers would turn on without me touching the switch, The Radio would pop on and off. the windows stopped working. they replaced the window motor. but personally I beleive it fried because of the PCM.
    same with the Air conditioner compressor. after the Pmc shorted out three times within 40 days leaving me stranded. I turned it in to the dealership as a voluntary Repo. I'm in court next week being sued for 15 grand by the bank. because the dealership could not fix the problem.
  • jimmybaby2jimmybaby2 Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I have a headlight issue with my '05 Ford Freestar SE. Headlights work fine on low beam, but when switched to highbeam, headlights go out entirely. Have changed bulbs and all fuses are intact. Any ideas? PS this problem is on both sides.