Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager Cooling System (radiator, fan, etc.)

2»

Comments

• My 2001 had the relay between the front of the radiator and the grill on the cross bar, drivers side. Take the six screws off the top of the grill and you can spread it enough to get a hand on the relay to pull out the plugs. Helps also if you remove bolt on top of cover, driver side of radiator that holds down the plastic cover. Gives you more room without taking out the whole grill. Could not find the right part anywhere on line or at Local auto supply shops(Autozone and Murrays).. Best bet is to go to Dodge or Chrysler dealer for the part and they will also help you locate and give tips at getting to the part.

Hope this helps. I just replaced mine last week. My problem was that the fans would not shut off, so I had to pull the 40A relay in the fuse box.
  • crackorncrackorn Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 99 voyager got the o rings changed $ 250 still leaking I need to take it back but the weird thing is it seem to leak when there is no pressure when it's cold as it just empties what's above the I guess that o ring that was changed
    When it's hot there is nothing.........
  • tecguytecguy Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge caravan and the radiator fans are coming on all on their own, even with no keys in the ignition.Error code (P1491-Radiator fan control relay circuit) I suspect it is the relay myself. any help is ... :sick:
  • jrcaraccijrcaracci Posts: 3
    Same happened to my daughters 2001 Town&Country. Answer should be in #38 on this list and the answer I got in #31. The relay is between the radiator and the grill in the 2001 and probably on your 2003. Could only find the right relay at a Chrysler/dodge dealer. It costs about $65 if you install it yourself. Check with your dealer to make sure the relay is located the same as my 2001 model.
  • dmainsdmains Posts: 4
    the headlights on my 99 voyager do not seem bright enough on high beam. I just replaced them with the sylvania ultra lights but it made little differance. Any suggestions?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,445
    Could be a combination of things. If the wiring is okay (receiving full wattage), then it may be adjustment or be due to yellowing of the lens cover. The covers on my '98 DGC are quite hazed and the lights are quite inadequate. But, I have a set of PIAA driving lights mounted to the front bumper, so brights are, well, just that. :D

There are, apparently, products on the market to remove the hazing/yellowing, but doing so tends to cause them to yellow more quickly in the future. Still, that might be better than replacing them outright!
  • Hi All...

I had a air compressor put in my 1999 Plymouth Voyager and the freon was not replace. Can you tell me how many cans of freon to put in. The mechanic told me to get three cans for him to put in and bring 50.00 but my son knows how to put in and have added 1 and a half cans but car is not cool enough . Is three cans sufficient?? We don't want to put too much so please advise.

Thanks so very much....
  • I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with 85k and seems to be leaking antifreeze. Is this common?

Will leak stop fix it?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Is this common?" No.

"Will leak stop fix it?" Maybe, maybe not, it depends upon what's leaking.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,445
    Any idea from where your leak is coming? As Shipo said, it depends on what is leaking. Also, depending on what is leaking, it may be easier/preferable to fix the leak rather than put an additive in the coolant.
  • I have an 02 caravan with error code p1491, I replaced the fuses and the relay but the fans keep coming on even with the ignition off until eventually the battery is drained. Does anyone have a fix for this?
  • pmarypmary Posts: 14
    Hi,
    I used to get the P1491 code on my 01 Caravan before I changed my leaky engine cooling radiator. It seemed that coolant was draining on to the wire leading to the far fan motor creating a grounding short. Some of the wire insulation was cracked so I graffted in a new section. The old rad looked okay until I took it out and and the the hot side tank was corroded along the fins. There is 2 other small rads (tranny& AC) that hang off the front of the engine rad and 2 electric fans. It took me a couple hours and a 6 pack of beer to fix it! The fan relay was behind the rad on top of the cross beam on the driver's side. I had to remove the head lamp module to access it.
  • pmarypmary Posts: 14
    On my 01 caravan the fan relay is behind the rad on top of a cross beam on the driver's side. You have to remove the driver's side headlamp module to acess it.
  • schampioschampio Posts: 1
    The service manual for 1998 T&C LXi 3.8L is a bit misleading on this. Its still on the drivers side at the bottom inside of the radiator mount just above the inlet hose. No need to pull the headlight as it doesn't buy you anything. You'll have to pull the air cleaner hose and aircleaner holder to get at it. Mine wasn't riveted (thank goodness) and dropped below the the lower bumper flare for easier access after I pulled the 2x 8mm machine screws. The interlock was pesky (slide the orange lock plate near the seal lip to the left and it will release without breaking. I found a $52 Niehoff Ignition Relay RL38851 OE at Kragen/Oreilly's that fit perfect, considerably cheaper than the $96 the dealer wanted for the same thing. Chrysler really needs to rework their design for ease of access. Its one thing to put it here for cooling (theoretically) but really, right above the hotter than heck radiator return hose and down where every puddle can splash it? According to the service department this is a frequently failing item.
  • i have a Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager 96 just wondering where does the return hose go into the rad mine seems to be missing so i gotta replace it. look at the jug today and was leaking out cause no hose
  • jnapperjnapper Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Plymouth Voyager with the 3.3 engine. I have a problem with the cooling system leaking antifreeze. I replace the cap and the thermostat. The problem seems to be on the drivers side of the vehicle. There was no wetness on the top of the motor. What should I be looking for?
  • i done mine and at 3 cans it got cold 4 it got better
  • I have a 1999 Ply Voyager with a 2.4 that I bought brand new. In the last two weeks it has been running hot whenever I turn on the AC.
    I have replaced the fan assembly, coolant temperature sensor, and the radiator fan fuse. It still runs hot with the AC on. For some reason the fans are not coming on when they are suppose to. The fans are working because I tested them before I put them in. The new sensor gives the correct temp reading on the dash. Suggestions for what I may have missed, thanks.
2»