Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uplander/Montana/Relay/Terraza TSBs and Problem Codes

Comments

• The head lights continue to give trouble but I have found that by exercising the switch back and forth between Auto and Manual the will work properly again. I suspect the exposed manual contact on the switch becomes oxidized from leaving it in the Auto position.Additional resistance probably doesn't signal the computer constantly.
    Last GM car for me after 50 years.
  • apparently the 2006 montanas are the only ones that code to the ecbm before the check engine light, even if its not a braking issue. Ours ended up being a fuel trim reading issue. We had a wheel bearing replaced, but the fuel trim kept making it set it off even after that. the technician put a clamp on the air intake to keep it from bulging and setting the fuel to air ratio wrong.
  • derekjayderekjay Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with a 2006 uplander. I have to take it in with the light on. They diagnosed my left wheel speed sensor. That could mean the hub, the harnest, the speed sensor. I had this problem corrected in 2006 under warranty, however when there was a problem with my steering rack, they replaced it, and the light started to come on.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,139
    derekjay,

Have you had the chance to speak to your dealership regarding these issues? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • susanssv6susanssv6 Posts: 2
    I am taking this van in for the 3rd time tomorrow because of problems with the ABS and also the traction control & engine lights. We have already had parts replaced two times at a cost of $1200 (the first time). Auto shop thought the parts must have been faulty the 2nd time but now I'm not so sure. I was driving the other day, exiting a ramp off the highway and breaking when the break pedal jumped and I did not think I could stop the van. It was the ABS. Really scary!

Anyone know if I have any recourse since Pontiac went under? Auto shop thinks this should be a recall but since Pontiac is no more that will not happen. They have seen this ALOT. I'm never buying GM again. Bought this as a 1 year old dealer driven van and I have no idea if I have any recourse.

Help please?!
    susanssv6,

Are you taking your vehicle to an independent shop or an authorized GM dealership?

Thank you,
  • I am having the same problems. I just got my 2006 Pontaic Montana SV6 out the yesterday for the THIRD TIME!! and the ABS, Traction Control, Service Stability lights came back on and the ABS started engaging as usual. What do I do? :mad: :cry:
  • max5841max5841 Posts: 4
    Your having problems to,one of my customers and I had same problem.the wiring harness has to be re-routed,Chuck my customer had his fixed yesterday at gm dealer there is a dock number for the chevy uplander 2362549 not sure if it's the same number for your pontiac but same problem.It cost him 50.00 for the re-routing,called my Gm dealer and said they would do it for same price.Gm should be taking care of this at no charge,it is a problem many of us are having.hope thi helps you.Max
    ceeceediva,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having the vehicle fixed at the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • We had intermittent lights on for service abs and traction control on our 08 uplander. After reading clubsudz post, I did the same. The sensor wires were not clicked in completely and there was unraveled electrical tape. We haven't had a problem since although it's only been about 100 miles and 12 starts.
    Hope this helps.
    Other than that we've had no problems except rear wiper motor is out.
  • Does anyone know if there were any recalls on the Uplander 08? I keep reading horror stories about the abs locking up on the highway
    cameron012,
    If you email me your VIN and current mileage I will look into recall information for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Caron,

No, an independent shop. I'm afraid if I go to a GM dealership now that I will have to spend the $1300 again. Replaced the hub and after taking it in the 3rd time I am still having the same problems with traction/abs control. Engine light is on also but apparently the engine is ok. I have been happy with the shop. They have replaced the part/s 3 times with no extra charge. 2nd time they thought the part may have been faulty but I think it's the van. Still having the same problems. Oh....and the last time the abs went out on me when I was exiting the highway. VERY scary!!

Other problem is the gas gage does not work properly. Tells me I am on empty after I fill up. Goes away after several starts. My rear window wiper went out early. We are not buying another GM vehicle after this one. Love my van but too many problems and no recalls.

Thanks for replying. Let me know if you have any ideas that are free. I'm not spending any more money on this van.
    Susan
    Susan,

I completely understand. If you are happy with the current shop you are working with, I would encourage you to keep working with them. If you have any future questions please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,
  • rriprrip Posts: 4
    My ABS light came on when I had the transmission rebuilt (at 60987 miles - just out of warranty). The transmission shop took the blame and tried replacing the ABS pump/module several times without any improvement. After they had the car about 5 times, the light was finally off. However, it is back, and now comes back on intermittently. When you first start the car it either stays off or on for the entire drive. It is like the computer gives up if there is a problem with the ABS in the beginning.

However, when it is working it has never done anything weird.
  • Caron,
    My van has 107,000 miles on it. At first that may sound great but I've spent a ton of money keeping this thing on the road. Since 38,000 miles I've gotten the "Service ABS System", "Service Traction Control", and "Service Stability Control" messages all at the same time (same as Susanssv7). The messages are on about 90% of the time and nobody can figure out the root cause. This van had a $29,000 sticker price and I would have expected more. The van was my company car for 19 months then I purchased it when my company was sold. It was still under warrenty then and the vast majority of my problems occured after the warranty had run out. I've taken it to two independent garages and two Chevrolet dealerships. The dealerships gave zero effort, the independent garages were left guessing as these are soft codes and dissappear everytime you turn off the van. This van has also eaten 5 sets of rotors and pads, the power doors stopped working 2 years ago (won't close so I had to pull the fuse and manually close them), I have a whistling sound coming through the front window at 65 mph, my headlamps and dash lights used to flicker and still do but to a lesser extent thanks to a TSB, the rear suspension has been repaired twice and finally I've had to have the rear wiper motor replaced. I bought a 2004 Toyota Camry 8 months before I took delivery of this van. It now has 105,000 miles on it and I've done nothing but routine maintenance. I'm just amazed by the poor quality of the Uplander. I've purchased 2 new Chevys, a new Saturn and a new Pontiac in addition to the van during the past 15 years. I doubt I will consider a GM purchase again because of this van.
  • I'm sorry that you've had so many frustrations with your Uplander. If I'm understanding your post correctly, the current concern is with the "Service" messages? Have the other concerns been resolved?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but I have one more just so I can better understand your situation: have you worked with Customer Assistance before, and if so, could you provide us with your Service Request numbers? If you would like to start a Service Request on a current concern, please email us more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your involved dealership).

Thank you so much,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Caron,

These issues we are all having should be recalls. The shop I have been using...which has replaced my ABS hub 3 times just shook their head when I came in the first time because they have replaced so many of these on these vehicles.

Like Van Man, I am having the same issues with the ABS and Service Stability warnings, back windshield wiper and now the headlights dimming. I've chucked it all up to the poor quality of this van. Funny but my dealership is bugging the heck out of me to buy it back. Tempting as that is I'm keeping it another year after it's paid off just to get my monies worth...then buying a Toyota. This experience with this van has really discouraged me from buying GM ever again. I do appreciate your willingness to help though Caron.

Van Man...we bought a 1996 Toyota Camry for our daughter and it's still going strong.
  • After reading these post I am curious if some can help and let me know wether or not it's worth the money chev wants to fix my van. I also am having issues with the stability and traction control system after having it in the first time I was told it was a connection in the steering column and the second time the said it was the speed sensor code that came up and they fixed that. Now they are telling me it's the ABS pump or something. As I didn't tell them right away about this problem and now are warranty is out the best they say the can do is charge me $1000 and that will fix it. If I need to spend the money to have it fixed I am ok with it I just am really unsure that this will fix the problem and I will only be out the money. Has anyone done this and does it work?
    Our ABS first went out when the transmission was rebuilt. The transmission shop took responsibility and changed the ABS pump/module twice with no success. Eventually after they tinkered with it enough and bled the brakes the problem went away, only to come back again after a few weeks. Now the indicator light comes on and off every few days.

The wheel bearings are whining pretty bad now, so I am going to change them. It is my understanding the ABS sensors are built into the bearing assembly so they will be replaced with the bearing. Will post an update after this gets done.
  • I just had something similar happen. My 2005 Relay has had the left hub replaced 3 times and the right 2 times. ABS light is almost always on. Once it gets replaced, it only stays off for 6 months. On Saturday (Dec 31), I took it to the shop to have them work on the brakes and get it inspected, it cost me $1,500. While at the shop, they disconnected the battery leads to reset the computer. While in the shop the Relay went into a power saving mode and when I picked up the car, the air and heat don't work. The fan speed works but I cannot select where the air is to come out and if I turn it to cold, it is cold but no AC and if I turn it to hot, I get cold (20 degrees in January). The only position I get any warmth is by putting the knob to the middle of hot and cold. ABS light is finally off, but I need my heat and air location back.

The back windshield wiper has been replaced twice and now it doesn't work anymore. I got it fixed both times under warranty but with about 105,000 miles, it is out of warranty. 33,000 for a wiper motor is WAY TOO SHORT of a lifespan. Especially for a part that is used not even 1/3 of the time.

I am disappointed with GM and what happened to Saturn. The problems with the Relay are definitely making me reconsider GM cars and trucks in the future. I have been buying them since I was in high school but now I may be looking elsewhere.

If anyone has any insight into how to resolve heat and air issue I would greatly appreciate it.
    When you had the hub replaced, did they put on a GM part, or aftermarket, such as Timken?
  • It's a cold time of the year to be without heat! I see that you have been working with a shop - is this a GM dealership? If we can set up a Customer Assistance case to further evaluate the situation, please send us an email including the following information: your name and Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Susan,

Front driver side 3 times (Once for bearing and twice for sensor) and passenger front twice. I think the first time for both sides and GM part, all the other were aftermarket. Ironically, the most recent have lasted the longest.

Sarah,

Look for an email.
  • I have a 2008 Uplander with a similar problem. The ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control lights came on at approximately 30,000 miles and was covered under warranty. This time (at 85,000 miles) I'm getting a warning light for the Traction and Stability Control, but no ABS light. Doug Chevrolet told me it might still be covered under the powertrain warranty; if not then $109 to diagnose. Of course the diagnosis was not a warranty fix and the estimate is $1,200. Their diagnosis is a bad EBCM, which actuates both the TC/SC and ABS. I told them logically it couldn't be the ABS, as it still works. I took it to another shop, paid them $450 for a new EBCM and of course the light is still on because as I said, the EBCM is not the problem.

I've also taken this to four different Chevrolet dealers (Sims, now closed; Classic and Pat O'Brien) for a service engine light that has been on intermittently since 24,000 miles, and three dealers for a clunk in the front suspension which O'Brien wrote me a note they'd extend the warranty. Here's a good one - the indicator for the turn signals quit clicking (lights still work) and three technicians in 45 minutes couldn't figure out where the indicator is at. I've spoken with GM Customer Service, who seem oblivious to the real issue - I can't keep taking off from work and doing without a vehicle, for nothing to get fixed.

BTW, my mother's 2006 Montana has same problem with Traction Control/Stability Control warning light. She can write her own post, I have enough problems to deal with on this piece of crap.

If anyone has any idea why the TC/SC light would come on intermittently, the service engine light comes on intermittently, the turn signals don't work, etc. etc. I'd love to hear them. BTW Sarah - don't suggest I take it back to the dealer. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get a different outcome. As I told the dealer (the third time they cleaned/replaced the fuel injectors) - if you bought a house and the faucet clogged up, and the builder replaced it over and over every month for a year; you might eventually come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with the faucet... :lemon:
  • 4boysmom4boysmom Posts: 1
    I too have a 2008 Chevy Uplander and it is also plagued with ABS, traction control, stability control warning lights coming on. About a year ago (after several months of the lights coming on and off intermittently), I finally broke down and took it in and spent over $2000 to supposedly fix the problem. The lights did go off for a while, but every so often when I would brake, the van would shudder and make a terrible sound (one of my children compared it to going over the rough pavement that is put down so that you know that you are about to see a stop sign and need to prepare to stop). I took it back to the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now my warning lights are back on all the time and the van makes the terrible sound/shuddering the vast majority of the time that I use the brakes. On the bright side, I am prettty sure that the other drivers around me are too scared of my grinding, shuddering car to follow too closely. In addition, my turn signal also doesn't make a sound--except for when I forget to turn it off and the alarm goes off after I have gone several miles. This occurred earlier in the first year of ownership and was fixed under the warranty. Now that I am at 57,000, I am told that it will cost right around $500 to fix. And finally, my AC went out in August--for the second time. I live in Georgia and AC is a good thing, especially in a van where my children can't open the windows enough to get a breeze. I bought this van because I really wanted to support the "Made in America" movement, but I am so incredibly frustrated and disappointed. I am now trying to decide if it is time to cut my losses and buy a Toyota! In the mean time, does anyone know if I am risking my life--and that of my children--by driving this vehicle?
  • mkauz52mkauz52 Posts: 6
    Well I have previously commented in this thread and am still an owner of a 2005 Buick Terraza. My terraza has had pages of problems that I have had to fix. Since I commented last I have changed both front hub assemblies, and had two more sets of tires put on, and brakes twice. I now have 141,000 miles on my van. (the deathtrap-as my kids call it) Has my life or my childrens life been in danger????? I felt really uncomfortable when traveling down the interstate at 65 miles an hour and the brakes would randomly lock up for a split second. I had to always be ready for anything because most often if you would hit a bump in the road you could predict it but then it got completely random. If you can afford it-Get RID of it. I have mine paid off and am saving $$ for a new vehicle....(didn't even bother with the American made lots when deciding on my new car)

They can't fix it!!! They can do something to the computer to take away the messages but they will return because I believe there is no fix. You can open a case with GM but you will take it to the dealership they will make the message go away for about a week longer than your case complaint is open. Been there done that. I know I sound jaded but that hunk of junk took me 5 years to pay off 5 long years!!!!.....Sell it, trade it, RUN and don't look back!!!!!
  • max5841max5841 Posts: 4
    this is a problem with many uplanders including mine,there needs to be a class action law suit to get this repaired,there has been no recall on this and gm has to know there is a problem,as there is also a problem filling the tank,you can get another three gallons in the tank if you take the time to keep clicking pump and let the gas subside in the tank after 3 or 4 minutes of repeating fill.My 2008 uplander is great other than stated above,my light has been going off for 40,000 miles I decided not to get it fixed.I know there is a problem with the harness for the stabilty control and yet no recall what does that tell you about G/M.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning 4boysmom,

Although your experience hasn't been as smooth as it could have been, thank you for supporting the "Made in America" movement. If we can look into this further with you, please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • acdmumacdmum Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Uplander with 99007 miles on it. The service ABS light is on again. It just came on tonight. Conveniently, my warranty I purchased through Carmax has just expired about 200 miles ago. Approximately 7 months ago I had it in to Carmax for the same issue. It was in the shop for 3.5 out of a 5 week period due to the same problem. The first time I picked it up from repair I drove away, and had problems within a few miles. Strange noises, pedal sinking to the floor, brakes not grabbing etc. Eventually it was fixed after being taken back to Carmax, and then sent to the Chevy dealership, where they had to replace the computer that controls the ABS sytem. I would expect that since it was just fixed 7 months ago that I would not experience the same problem. I am constantly having to repair the brakes on this van due to vibrations and a feeling of them not functioning properly at freeway speeds, or on downhills. Now that the light is on, I'm assuming it is the same problem.

I've already had the van in for brake sensors to be replaced a few times. It has also had the transmission rebuilt at 55000 miles, and the passenger power door was opening on it's own, refusing to close, making chime noises and opening while driving, etc. The driver's side power door is now starting to have the same problems. The interior light controller had to be replaced, the backlights on the dashboard went out at night in the rain on the freeway, those were fixed. I don't think we've gotten through an entire year without this van needed some major repair work.

To say it is the worst car I've ever owned would be an understatement. We were the proud owners of an 01 Venture that we got 137000 miles out of with no issues. Unfortunately it was totaled in a rollover accident. We decided to purchase another Chevy minivan since we had a great experience with our Venture (purchased new). We purchased the Uplander from Carmax. They have been wonderful and have stood behind the vehicle they sold us with their MaxCare extended warranty. I am grateful to Carmax for the way they have handled this lemon they sold us. When we purchased it, it only had 8900 miles on it, and was in phenomenal shape. We felt we had made another good solid purchase buying a Chevy minivan. What a huge mistake. It is doubtful we will EVER purchase another American vehicle. Least of all a Chevy. This van is an absolute piece of crap, and I don't feel safe driving our daughters in it. Unfortunately we are stuck with it for at least another 9 months while we save up to replace it. My question for all of you; What can I do about this ABS light message? Would that system really need repair again after such a short period of time? If it does, why is GM not standing behind what they've built? Why hasn't this van been recalled for all of these issues? I came across this forum tonight and am blown away by how many people have the EXACT same problems with these vans. I realize this van is a 2006 but it has been one headache after the other since we purchased in Jan 2007! Seriously disappointed. :lemon: