Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS Tires and Wheels

billdavbilldav Posts: 18
Has anyone had their dealer offer to replace all the tires?

I have GS300 AWD and have about 27,000km (16,900 miles) on them and dealer is replacing them next week.

Original were Dunlop and replacement will be Michelin.

Comments

• chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    Isn't it too early to replace the tires at 17K miles?
    The tires should last at least 35K miles with rotation.
  • I have put on winter tires without tire pressure sensors and I am getting a "Check System" error message along with assorted flashing error messages. Lexus dealership says nothing they can do, put black tape over the flashing warning light.
    Does anyone have any ideas??
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Buy a trailer so you can have the properly inflated summer tires in range of the reciever.
  • Should have but for some reason wearing faster than expected. I had the "CAM612(SSC)" done on the steering. Something to do with the slow speed turning and electric motor cutting out. At that time a wheel alignment was done as part of this campaign, the tires looked OK but wear was at 6 or 7 mm and I think they should be replaced at 2 - 3 mm remaining.

Anyway, they offered and I accepted the replacement. By the way I did not see any uneven wear or damage.

I had a similar wear problem on my previous LS400 with factory Goodyear - softer tires and replaced with Michelin.
  • The dealer installed 4 new Michelin "Pilot Primacy 94W" as a goodwill gesture. What a difference from the Dunlops.
  • Is your GS still running well with the Michelin's? I bought a 2006 GS300 in July and I have 17,000 miles and the tire sound is really loud and annoying. I drive a lot of highway miles and rotate regularly. I loved the car and it's my 3rd Lexus but this shouldn't be happening on such an expensive car. How did you get the dealer to do this for you? I took to a tire shop and they said there is plenty of life left in the tires. My Lexus dealer said it was about time to replace tires. Doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    What Type and size Michelin's are you running? I'm on my 4th set of Michelin's on three GS 300's. 1998 - 2000 - 2002. No noise, no problems. Average life about 65K / 75K depending on how bad the kids need the take-offs. Currently running the 90,000 mile Michelin HydroEdge (it rains occasionally in AZ) (225 60 R16) @ 36 psi. Went to 19" Michelin 255 45 19 Pilot Sport SRX something on my 04 A8L. Smooth and great traction. I'd make really good friends with the tire shop manager and the Michelin rep. Your right, it should not be. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the input. I don't have Michelin's yet but I'm going to get them once I find out if my Lexus dealer is going to do anything about the problem I'm having. The tires that came on the 2006 GS are Yokohama's?? 17,000 miles and the noise is almost unbearable! I'm in Central Florida so a lot of rain in summer. Thanks again for suggestions. I really like the GS and want to stay with Lexus.
  • I bought an '06 GS 300 used w/ 22K miles from Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX last May. Tire noise was awful. Service rep said they'd had trouble with the tires "cupping". Since they were more than half way used up when I bought the car, they paid for two and I paid for two new Michelin Primacy's. Solved the problem instantly.
  • I have a 2006 GS430 (great car by the way). I got a low tire pressure warning this morning for the first time. I checked the levels and none are low. We had a freeze this morning (in houston). The car had been parked in freezing weather for a little over an hour just before the warning came on. Could the weather have caused the warning?
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    You need to pump more air into your tires. Cold weather results in lower tire pressure, thus triggering the warning. Check with an accurate tire gauge when the tires are cold, and make sure you have at least the specified PSI in each tire.
  • Thanks; in Houston we don't deal with freezing weather a lot and I've never had a low pressure warning system. The indicated tire pressure is 33, and the tires had between 30.5 and 32.5. I put additional air and the indicator seems to have gone off, although it took a while. Is the system supposed to be that sensitive, ie to indicate trouble when the pressure gets to 30.5? I would have thought it would require the pressure to go lower before indicating trouble but maybe not. The owner's manual does not provide any guidance on this. Thanks again.
    I don't know how sensitive the tire pressure monitor system is, but they sure are a royal pain in the neck for the most part. You can call the dealer or Lexus customer support and they will be able to give you an answer.
  • I'm getting all four tires replaced this Friday. I have an 06 GS300 AWD, 11k miles. It was out of alignment during my first scheduled maintenance and during my 10k maintenance, they informed me that my tires were cupped. This was the reason my car was veering to the right and the wheel was jerking when I braked. So, I asked for four new tires and they said ok. I have Dunlops, I'm wondering if I should ask them to be replaced with Michelins instead. Anybody have any suggestions?
    I put Yokohama Avid V4S on my GS4. They are phenomenal.
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    I'd go for the top Michelin one size over original equipment. 225 x 16 I think. You may have larger diameter rims. I currently run Michelin HydroEdge a 90,000 mile tire. The Pilot may be the next step up.
  • Is it true that ride is a little bumpy with run flat tires in GS, compared to regular tires? And, do they have a regular size spare in GS?
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    A bit stiff, not bumpy. The spare tire is not a regular size.
  • donbldonbl Posts: 42
    I have always been taught that cupping is not normally the fault of the tire unless it is maintained at the wrong pressure. The cupping is normally caused by mechanical problems or jerky driving:

Shock absorbers on an old car, or
    Steering system on a new car.

I suspect there is some sort of handling problem in the car.

I am at 7.5K miles on car (Yoko tires) and the tires are a "little" louder. Will replace with Michelins when the time comes.
  • donbldonbl Posts: 42
    Well, the Yoko's now have about 10K on them. They were so quiet until about 9000. Lexus says it is "normal".

They are beginning to make a whining noise when at speed.

The Jag had similar problems until I changed to Michelin Sport A/S. The Michelins also drive better.