Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS Tires and Wheels

Comments

• I know you wrote that messaage in July, but do you still have your 17's. I am looking to buy some.
  • Yes, I do still have those wheels. The wheels are in mint condition with no scratches, dents, etc.
  • I am looking at a 2007 GS350. How has yours been driving since you had them change the tires to Michelins? I saw your posting in July and just wanted to see what your thoughts were now. Any other thoughts I should consider before I talk with the salesperson about buying this car?
    Thanks.
  • On my GS300 2006 I had issues with my tires Yokohama after 15000 km. They were making to much sound. In my understanding the tire material was to hard. Yokohama inspected the tires at 30'000 km, yes I had to wait quite a long time, and they were very surprised about the low wear of the tires. They accepted the case and offered me to replace the original mounted tires by a new series still within the same model. It seems that they are aware of the issue. Due to the km I have to pay around 30% of the standard list price.
  • :sick: Do I have to pull the tranny to replace the starter on a 1998 gs 400. Are they any schematic sites available online to veiw.? Is this a couple hour weekend job or better left to the pro's Thanks in advance Mark
  • Hello Mark,
    Since the starter located in the V bank so You would have to remove the intake plenum to again access to the starter. There is 2 14mm bolts hold the starter in place. This is not an easy task. I would leave it to lexus Certified tech peform this job. You are looking at 7-8 hrs of labor and the price of a starter.
    Regards,
    Dallas Independent Lexus and Toyota
    www.jpimportz.org
  • jeffl3jeffl3 Posts: 3
    I was looking at a Lexus in comparison to a 4 motion Passat or Cadillac STS. The tire problems seem to be a real issue. My brothers AWD Toyota van suffers from the same problem. At about 10 to 15K miles they cup and are really loud. Seems like a run flat tire issue. I'm not sure I want to consider a Lexus if they can't pick the right tires for it. Seems to simple of an item to miss so that the owner has to come in each year for new tires or listen to the noise.

Has anybody had good luck with run flats on a GS350 and wore them out without them cupping and generating noise?
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    At 14K miles my 07GS350 AWD Run flat tires are still OK.
    One thing I notice is I don't think the tires can last over 25K miles.
    They wear out faster than conventional tires.
    The tires were rotates every 5K miles.
  • kcwleekcwlee Posts: 2
    I didn't know how bad the Run flat tires on my 08GS350 AWD until yesterday. I got a screw at RR. My car is only 10 days old with 300 miles. How unlucky I am! At the near local tire store, they can't fix it because of run flat tire. My wife took the car to the Lexus dealer, at the beginning they said they can fix the tire. Later on, they said they can't fix it. It has to be replaced and it won't be free because there is no warranty. The cost is about $400 for just one. How ridiculous with the cost!! It is more than twice cost with conventional tires. They wear out much faster than conventional tires. And they can't not be fixed or replace to conventional tires. Why does Lexus have this bad tire design on GS? I researched online and I found out there are a few other car brands with run flat tires having problems since 2005. They are Toyata Sienna AWD, Honda Odyssey and BMW 3 Series. As far as I known, there are class action lawsuits going one with them. I should research this before I purchased the car. If I knew this, I would not consider to purchase the car.

Does anyone have any bad experience on these Run Flat tires?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Different car, but lots of not so great experience with the RFTs being discussed here: BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires.

I'm sorry. If you do a Forums-wide search you'll find other discussions on the subject as well.
  • kcwleekcwlee Posts: 2
    Thanks, Pat.

I did read other discussions before I posted mine. I can't seem to find any discussion for Lexus GS350 AWD. That's why I posted it here.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Posting here is good. Let's see if we can get other owners to participate. :)
    Sorry for the loss. The tire warranty does not cover road hazards.
    Since the tire is only 10 days old, I would call Dunlop at 800- 321-2136 to
    see if anything they can do.
  • What are the best replacement tires for 2007 GS350, which came with Dunlops. I want a quieter tire, but still good handling. I prefer Michelin, but I'm not sure which specific tire. Any suggestions?
  • Just got new GS350 and it came with 17 inch wheels. I would like to find 18 inch G Spyder wheels and trade mine.
  • julezjulez Posts: 1
    I had/have the same problem. I just bought my IS 250 AWD and it barely has 400 miles on it. In the last 3 days, I've gotten 2 flats and a badly scratched rim...driving SLOWLY! I admit, i do live in a rough area, Boston, but i don't think Run Flat tires should be that susceptible to flats and punctures. Apparently, I did not do enough research before buying this car. I got a good deal when i bought it, but am losing money on repairs. Even with the road hazard and tire warranty, I am not covered if the tire is still 3/32 of an inch thick and if the rim can still hold air. I am tempted to trade this car in for something else...how unfortunate.
  • rah7rah7 Posts: 2
    HI,

you have a couple of options.

1. You can shop around at a few lexus dealers and buy the 18 inch G-Spider wheels. i just bought 4 chrome G-Spiders and they cost about $1,800

2. I still have the 18 inch stock wheels that came with my 2008 GS460 and i'd be willing to sell those to you. it's a 5-spoke wheel that you can probably see if you go to the Lexus.com site and look at the wheels on the GS tab. http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/

3. I don't think you'll find any wheel dealer that will give you any decent value for your 17" wheels.

4. Either way you still need to buy the 18 inch tires. then you need to determine if you want Run flats or regular. if you get regular tires, you'll need a spare in the trunk.

either way, let me know if you're interested in my wheels. otherwise good luck

See ya,
    Roland
  • blong4blong4 Posts: 1
    Hi I was wondering if you still have your 18 inch, 5 spoke stock wheels. If u still have them how much are you selling the wheels and are they new? Thx
  • class77class77 Posts: 2
    Or are they also on the GS350 & GS460? I noticed a notice on some of the new GS' on the dealer's lot today that said the tires may wear out as soon as 15,000 miles. Can I use regular tires for replacements?
    My 07GS350AWD turned 20K miles last week.
    Still have plenty of tread left on 4 tires.
    Rotated every oil change (5K miles).
    My wife drove it most of the time. She does not accelerate hard
    as I do.
    So the car doesn't burn much rubber.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Because your car as the all season tires- the RWD car has the performance tires that burns rubber rapidly.
  • wets33wets33 Posts: 3
    You can buy the G Spyder wheels for about $200 each at lexuspartsmall.com.
  • kalakala Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 GS300 with about 7000 miles. All four of my stock 17 inch 10-spoke wheels have corrosion or the finish is bubbling around the center cap area. I was wondering if any other Lexus owners are experiencing the same or similar problem with their wheels?
  • Dealer/Lexus should replace at no charge, F.Y.I I received recall notice on 3 items: 9LA fuel delivery pipe, 9LC Lexus Power steering link and 9LB rear brake dust boot on my 2006 GS300 AWD with 29k miles

I made service appointment and mentioned all 4 wheels are corroding with the LF the worse. Car was in the shop for 2 days covered the recalls and gave me an ES350 for loaner

Dealer called and said they were replacing all 4 rims at there cost but would be several days to get them in. No arguments or questions. Understand that even with the atrocious Cleveland weather, roads, salt snow, I personally wash the car in my garage at least once possibly twice a week depending on how much I've been on the roads. Also while the car has been in the shop for the recalls they attempted to fix the rattles in the dash. Dash began to rattle a week later all over again. Love the car but the problems and recalls are getting annoying and while it has been no cost for repairs I never thought I would have these type of issues.
  • kalakala Posts: 9
    Thanks for your response. The corrosion on your rims confirms to me that my problem is not an isolated problem. I forgot to mention that my Lexus dealer is also replacing all 4 of my rims with no arguments.

My powersteering failed on me last year. To correct the problem they replaced the entire powersteering unit.

I too agree that I never expected to have these problems, but I must say that the dealer has been very good about correcting them under the warranty. Excellent support so far.
  • toyguy2toyguy2 Posts: 1
    I've decided to upgrade to a 1999/2000 GS 400, from the ES 300. What should I watch out for and look for in terms of inspecting and asking what has been done to the vehicle. Especially things you all deal with on your GS 400. Much appreciated
    Regards :) Rog
  • prema1prema1 Posts: 21
    Anyone have experience with replacing the runflats with regular tires? Does it add a lot of weight to add the spare? Does the GS have a donut or would I need a full-size spare?

Is the handling negatively impacted? The tech said the suspension settings are designed for RFTs...
  • addamsaddams Posts: 74
    Is the handling negatively impacted? Tons of better tires to replace those crapy RF's. The tech said the suspension settings are designed for RFTs? That's BS
  • prema1prema1 Posts: 21
    I ended up buying the Michelin PilotSport PS2s with ZP (runflat). They are awesome. Feel very similar to the non runflat PS2, and offer tremendous grip. The ride is noticeably softer than the Bridgestones and quieter over bumps.
  • I have an 03 GS300 that i purchased used with clean carfax 2 years ago. 60,000miles. When I drive on the highway around 70+mph I get a lot of vibration from front suspension and the car wants to pull left or right really bad. There is a lot of play in the steering at those speeds and feels really unstable. All the tires are new and just got an allinment. Im scared to drive my 2yr old son in the car because it feels so unsafe. Can anyone help me solve this problem. No money for dealer to look at. please help.