Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

meredithmeredith Posts: 578
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2929....

Toyota Landcruiser - Continued II. Please
continue these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• Did you ever resolve the rattle or flutter in the rear vents? I posted a mail a week ago or so that described a similar situation. It seems to occur ONLY when either another window is open (no difference in how much) or another door is open, while closing a particular door. It's more pronounced while closing the rear doors, but does occur while closing the front doors. It does NOT occur when all windows and other doors are closed while closing the only open door. I haven't taken it in yet, but was curious about whether you found a resolution.
    Anybody else experience this on your '00?
  • jam1000jam1000 Posts: 182
    I, too, have a rattle in my 2000 LC that occurs only in the morning in cold weather (below about 50-55) and always goes away after about 5 minutes. It sounds like it's coming from underneath the dashboard on the driver's side (to the left of the steering wheel). Is this the heat shield problem referred to in posts 570-572? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what the fix is before I take it into the dealer; I seem to get better results that way.
  • The vent rattle still occurs when you close a door. The dealer told me it was normal and the vents acted to equalize pressure on the inside and outside of the vehicle. I don't remember this happening when another door or window was opening. Otherwise, the dealer's explanation wouldn't make any sense.

I'll go experiment tonight and post the results.
  • I have a 2001 LC here that makes the boom-boom sound with the bass, and had two factory reps here this morning. One suggested it was the power amp power being reduced for the key-on-no-engine-running position. The other literally didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I can tell immediately now what the difference was.

I guess I jump on the bandwagon today. I have let the mega powers that be KNOW there is a problem, and two higher-ups can hear it loud and clear.

-Dianne
  • zuma13zuma13 Posts: 35
    Dianne,

It's a comfort knowing that you took the time to personally explore the purported "boom boom" stereo problem endemic to the 2001 TLC. I was intending to purchase a new one; I'll now wait until Toyota has a suitable "fix" for the problem. I'm sure your input will expedite the correction and/or modification.

Thanks,

LBN
  • jim_cjim_c Posts: 8
    I think that I have figured out the vent rattle. When you have your fresh air vent button pushed it opens the vents to let the air flow through. Then when you shut your doors it makes the flaps move. If you close the fresh air button on the console, it won't do it.
  • ixixviixixvi Posts: 24
    For those with a 2001 who have changed to Mobil 1 synthetic oil which viscosity is recommended?

As I live in Southern California I use 15w - 50w in my other cars. It seems as if 10w - 30w is recommended for the LC/LX.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • hicairahicaira Posts: 276
    I use Mobil 1 also. Stick to the recommended viscosity of 10-30 (or is it 5-30?). Only in the middle of Summer do I kick it up to a higher viscosity. BTW: you will lose about 1 mpg with a higher viscosity.

HiC
  • My wife bought a new TLC a few months ago. Just about the first thing we did when we got it home was put the third seat in a spare bedroom. She is curious; is there any market for these guys? If so, does anyone have any suggestion for selling it. Resale of the TLC is not a concern since it will be kept at least 15 years. Thanks all!
  • One of the big problems you'll have is that all LCs (unless I buld-order one special for someone) have that third rear seat/rear air climate control package. You might find someone whose pets or child damaged it, or someone rear-ended whose seat was mangled? There are a plethora of internet sites to post it to for "fast cash" but I have to be candid here: when you sell it, even after 15 years, I betcha 99 out of 100 buyers will want that seat back there. It might sound silly, but it WILL be a good thing eventually.:D

-Dianne
  • LBN, thanks... and thanks for the email. I sold your RR/oak so fast it'd make the head spin. I couldn't dupplicate the bass sound in hers, nor can she. Odd, but I still go with my gut -- my gut says it's the power amp. due to the key placement, ie. it being OK with key in acc. position, and key ON and car running.

I have now heard it in two: one with NAV, one without.

-Dianne
  • I purchased a 2000 LC a few months ago and have been experiencing a vibration sound that I could not locate until yesterday. The noise was coming from the roof rack. I slid the forward most cross bar rearward, and thus far the clatter has stopped. Has anyone else experienced this? The cross bar was vibrating at any given speed, especially noticeable when coasting from 30mph to a stop--when the interior sound level was at its lowest.
  • Yes, I have noticed this. From my experience, the slides/clamps that are used to clamp the cross members are a sloppy fit for the tracks. So unless you have the clamp knobs extra tight, you will get those vibrating. This is rather a poor design in my opinion. The slide tolerances should be tighter, or at least some sort of rubber pad should be integrated with the slide to provide more clamping friction.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,961
    The Mobil One in the manual is 5-30W I have been using 5-30W with 15k oil change intervals. The oil stays almost like new up until app 14-15k and uses app 1/4 to 1/2 a qt at that point, so instead of adding I change it.
  • zuma13zuma13 Posts: 35
    Dianne,

Today I had the opportunity to test drive a new 2001 TLC. The vehicle is a sheer pleasure to drive. However, attempting to be a subjective as possible, I tested the JBL sound system both with the ignition on and engine off, and with engine running.

With just the ignition on, the bass levels of the sound system, though louder than I would prefer, were within a reasonable range. However, once the engine was turned on, the bass level emitted from the sub woofer was intolerable even when the bass levels were set at minus 5 (the lowest possible setting). The salesman sitting in the vehicle with me was also surprised at how disturbing the manufacturers bass settings were.

The sub woofer base settings used in the new JBL sound system is a woeful design flaw I could not reconcile myself to live with. Unless and until Toyota does something to correct the problem, I think I'd have to resonsider the entry from Lexus.
    The Mark Levinson system is fantastic.

LBN
  • cs6863cs6863 Posts: 3
    I am in a market for an SUV - between LC and LX470. I like the chrome wheels on the LX470 but not its colors.

I like the natural white on the LC but not sure if I can get factory chrome wheels. Does anyone know where I can order them? and How much? Appreciate any help you give me. Thank you.
  • lc2000lc2000 Posts: 33
    My roof rack doesn't vibrate. My skid pan doesn't vibrate. My vents don't vibrate. My glove box doesn't rattle. My dash doesn't squeak. The only think that vibrates is my #*!*#$! gas pedal. :-)
  • You can see complaints on defects and mfr's service bulletins in any vehicle filed with NHTSA at
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
    For TLC look under "Toyota Truck"
    Some of our Forum's concerns about the 2001 TLC Stereo system, and the vibrating gas pedals might merit a complaint.
  • Hi everyone- I have submitted the proper paper work for arbitration's . Will anyone with this problem please email me at steven_schreiber@genevaco.com . I have quite an update on this problem. Believe it or not, Toyota still does not want to admit "We have a problem Houston"
    My case will be much stronger in arbitrations on a fix if I can get any additional case# that you all might have.
    In the mean time any prospective buyers of the 2001 TLC- beware. Test drive this vehicle yourself with the engine on. It speaks, I mean "BOOMS" for itself!!!
  • hicairahicaira Posts: 276
    You say "Test drive this vehicle yourself
    with the engine on."

Is there another way?

HiC
  • Yes, especially if you are buying out of the area: ask me or the rep to drive the car -- someone who knows what it sounds like. I have heard it in one car with no NAV, and it wasn't too awful, really... the 2nd car (with NAV) I heard it in was already gone and to Washington state. It's not a horrible thing, but I also can't claim to spend 18 hours on the road in a 2001 Landcruiser either. I sat in one last week that I sold and didn't hear it at all... perhaps it wasn't pronounced.

The only way to hear it, really, is to hear it.
  • ixixviixixvi Posts: 24
    Hi Dianne,

First, let me thank you on behalf of all who have come in contact with you. You are a professional, classy lady.

Might I suggest that in testing the 2001 TLC for the "Boom, Boom" problem you use the same passage on the same exact CD for each test. From a scientific point of view that is the test that is required to see if the problem reveals itself in all TLC or in a few.

Choose a track that has a lot of deep bass passages. Maybe someone might suggest a CD and the tracks to use.

Best regards.
  • jvr427jvr427 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 LC with 42,000 miles and had a noise and rattle in my passenger side window for over a year. My original dealership where I purchased the LC changed hands and when I took my LC to another dealership recently I inquired about the rattle. They charged me to look at the window and said the window regulator had excessive play in it and needed to be replaced to the tune of
    $300.00 because it's now over 36,000 miles. This was the same problem the first dealership said was normal, but there is no current record. Do I have any recourse?
  • Well....I've decided to trade in my brande new TLC for something else. What a pitty. Doesn't even have its plates yet. Only 1200 miles. I guess I'm going to take a terrific loss, but does anyone have any idea what kind of trade in value I might be able to get on a one-month old 2000 TLC with 1200 miles in perfect condition. ??

Thanks

sjs
    sjs@portal.com
  • I highly recommend a 2001 Cadillac Escalade for guys like you who enjoy a perfect ride. Does this mean I'll be spared from reading any more of those dis-informative posts?
    Dewdman42: Isn't that a little drastic? If your only problem with the LC is a vibrating gas pedal, why don't you hang on and wait for the fix? Even if it takes a few months, it will be well worth the wait. I fully expect the problem to be solved.
  • Same thing with our 2001 TLC. Low frequency (ie. subwoofer) booming. JBL should have a seperate subwoofer control. I haven't had a chance to go to my dealer yet but will.
  • A litle drastic? Yea...maybe. But the only reason I purchased the TLC was because I was under the impression from test drives I did and reviews I read that it was the smoothest ride in an SUV. It totally let me down in that department after only a week of driving it. Not only that, but the windshield wipers are noisy as hell (the motors), and frankly....its just a lot bigger than I really need. I didn't select it based on size....but given that its not driving the way I hoped, its too damn big. I am going to get a BMW X-5. I shoulda just gotten that to begin with, but I didn't.

And by the way, anyone that thinks that the current landcruiser is a serious offroader is equally a fool. The problem with the landcruiser is that its now stuck in the middle. its not a serious offroader anymore....and they are starting to sadly miss the mark in the luxury department.....and charing a lot of money for it.

I don't feel like sitting around waiting for a fix from Toyota...which frankly I don't honestly think we're ever going to get.... I don't want to install expensive items such as stereos and what not into a vehicle which I would end up getting rid of in a year anyway. I would just rather try to get rid of it right now. I'm glad you all love your TLC's and super glad for those of you that have no problems. Have fun!

As for the smart [non-permissible content removed] comment about a cadilac and my so called "disimformative posts" from Jamesbass1......... thanks for your help James.

cheers

-steve
    sjs@bstage.com
    Dewdman42: I wish you luck too. However, having owned two BMW's (albeit not 4X4's) I think you are going to need it. Overall, they were the most unreliable vehicles I have ever owned.

As for the TLC's ride, I don't know what you expected, but I have no complaints. The vehicle rides smooth, handles great, and noting slows it down. As for off roading, it's funny that the experts (check Edmunds, JD Powers, Motor Trend, etc.) think it's the best off road vehicle around.

Hope you get a good price on your trade.
  • I am not being at all caustic here, but why not trade the LC to me for a new Sequoia? I am dead serious.

-Dianne