Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• mghmgh Posts: 43
    fj100

Tell me how much did your TLC grow when you added the OME Lift Kit? What brand, how much and where did you prchase the kit?
    Can you send me pics I am ineterested in a warn winch and a ARB front bumper.

My concerns are:
    I will like to know if my TLC will clear my garage if I install the lift kit and if the front end will sag.

Thanks for your input

MG
  • fj100fj100 Posts: 97
    The lift added about 1.5 inches. Old Man Emu springs and shocks and sway away front torsion bars. Purchase the entire kit at www.sleeoffroad.com, look under products.

I do not have a winch installed yet but do have an ARB Winch Bullbar. Purchased at www.sleeoffroad.com

I would drive your LC into the garage and measure from the top of the roof rack to the lowest point in the garage. I would want 3 inches of clearance especially if you add 285's, which are 32.9 inches tall vs the stock 31.7.

The front end will not sag because of the heavy duty sway away torsion bars, they can be adjusted for the load of the bumper and winch.

Andrew
    Raleigh, NC

PS - email me off list and I will send some pics, roane3@hotmail.com
  • mitrismitris Posts: 14
    In the final minutes of negotiating on a 2000 with 50,000 miles. Clean records, clean interior. Needs tires and detail but I can get it for 30K. Any thoughts on the price. I found a 2000 with 34,000 at a dealer for 36k with the Certified pre owned deal included.

Advice on price, anything to look for? Thanks
  • grk235grk235 Posts: 17
    Have owned a 2000 LC for three years ... one of the best vehicles I have ever owned ... only visit to the dealer was for regular maintenance.

The price of 30K seems about right for the mileage. Mine has 32,000 miles and trade-in value is about 30-33k.

Ebay has several 2000 LCs for sale ... you may want to check the price ranges there.

Good luck.
  • mitrismitris Posts: 14
    thanks for your help.
    You may also want to post your question on Edmund's Smart Shopper board ... a very knowledgeable poster named Terry seems to have an excellent feel for the used car market.
    I believe the subject title in the Smart Shopper board is "Real-World Trade-In Values." Terry can give you an idea of trade-in as well as retail value.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,944

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Help,

I’m trying to be fiscally responsible to my family of four (including a 130 pound English Mastiff). I'm looking to replace my 88 4-Runner with a LC, because I need the added room. I have driven both the 97 LX 450 and the 98 Land Cruiser. The 98 seems like it has much more leg-room in the rear seats, can anyone comment on that? I can save about $6,000 going with the 97, but am worried the 98 is the way to go. Does anyone have a 97 body style out there that can let me know if the interior is sufficient for all those trips to the sports fields with the kids and their teammates?

Also when I looked at the 97 it seemed a little more heavy duty in the doors and tailgate that the newer 98, am I crazy?

Thanks,

JDW
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    They are VERY different vehicles. V8, independant front suspension, larger interior, easier to remove back seats, newer design... what else?
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    they are very different beasts. our older LC is a monster, while our new style LX470 is like a tall, w i d e, luxury vehicle. they measure very similarly, yet they fulfill different purposes. if you offroad, there is zero comparison. the older lx450 with front and rear lockers is going anywhere it wants to in the dirt. the 100 series LC feels bigger but maybe a tad less durable. the third row on the 100 is much more usable we've removed them from both vehicles, as we only have dogs to transport. i personally feel that the body of the newer style feels more durable. i'm guessing that the '97 must have high miles in order for there to be a $6K price diff, or the '98 is overpriced.

good luck, you can't go wrong with either.

ace
  • Has anyone upgraded their NAV software yet? What is the cost and the procedure? Thanks.
  • I have a 2000 TLC, with almost 20K on it (drive it 10 miles a day to/from work). A friend is looking to buy a 2003 Sequia - we got talking and I realized that the 2003 was topping out @ approx $42K - the loaded TLC was $55K. We did a side by side comparison on the MicroSoft auto site - it seems that the the 2003 TLC and the 2003 Sequia are almost exactly the same (except the sheet metal) - why should I continue to still urge him to get the TLC (other than because the wife and I love the thing)?

Also, does any one have any idea as to when the next major upgrade will be made to the current TLC model?

Thanks!
  • My wife has a 2002 BMW M3 ragtop - I have read on the BMW board about easy to make performance upgrades for her car (i.e computer chip replacement, better air filter, etc) - does anything similar exist for a stock 2000 TLC?

Thanks.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Posts: 238
    Considering the BMW is a sports car and your TLC is not, there are upgrades for your rig: OME suspension lift with ARB locker for the front IFS diff. I doubt your wife will be able to follow you down the trail in her BMW as you will not be able to catch her from the stoplight in your TLC.
    Bullethead,

The biggest question, What does your friend need the vehicle for? If it is to haul a large family (2 or more kids) then the Seq. is the truck.

Seq is built in the US on a Tundra chassis. The interior material is not up to LC standards. The Seq was built to do battle against the Ford Expedition - check the stats and you will see how similiar they are. The Seq is to big in my opinion but once again what is it needed for.

LC is still built in Japan by ARACO. The LC chassis is more stout/bullet proof etc than the Seq. If you notice in the specs, the LC is smaller overall but actualy weights more than a Seq. The LC is basically an Lexus LS430 Off Road vehicle.

To see the quality difference, head over to a Toyota dealership and park the 2 side by side and check them out head to toe. You will see the difference.

fj100
    Raleigh, NC
    Check out the supercharger for the 100 series LC. Should be quite sufficient. I think the numbers come out to like 345 hp and 480 torque. That shoud do it.

http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/4.7_V8_supercharger.htm

• scuz2scuz2 Posts: 6
    Looking at an '88 LC with 176K miles. Looks great, runs well, no rust, extensive records. Has a 1.5" lift kit installed as well as a large roof rack. Any known issues with this vehicle, other than being 15 yrs old? How does $6K sound? Thanks
    Get a compression test done on the engine, check that the auto tranny shifts smooth and check that the 4wd will engage and check the AC.

Performance upgrades - change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distrubutor and get a high flow exhaust and headers.

The lift is worth about $1500 by itself and the rack is probably about $500.

$6k sounds like a good deal.

Where are you located?
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Posts: 238
    IMO the lift is not worth anything or detracts from the value in the general marketplace. 1.5" lift it not enough to get anyone excited about taking it offroad, and it hurts the stock value of the rig.

'88 if the first year of the fj62 model. It's got the 3FE motor and A440F tranny, both of which are stout. No known issues with the vehicle. Just check thoroughly for rust.

$6k sounds reasonable for the mileage.