Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• bcb1bcb1 Posts: 149
    Geesh, you're right. The new one looks nothing like the super-plush current TLC. It reminds you of the old 60's and 70's body styles.

On a positive note; I didn't realize that a lot of banks can't or don't lend money on vehicles that are 5+ years old or have a certain # of miles on them. I am saving up and planning on paying cash for a used one - so knowing that bit of advice helps me out in the bargaining department quite a bit!
  • I know some are saying the FJ cruiser will complement or add to the current Toyota SUV line-up, but my goodness, 9 SUVs? Do you guys think it really makes sense for Toyota to continue to produce 3 full size SUVs (LX/LC/SQ) in the US. Just don't see much differentiation between the three especially if the next platform is going to be based on a (purported) shared F-Concept frame. My gut (not hope) is the LX and SQ will continue and the LC luxury version will only continue overseas. Will be interesting to see Toyota's comments on the FJ at the auto show next month and whether they mention future plans/impact on the current LC (probably wishful thinking).
  • SQ is US only and based on the Tundra frame. LC/LX is made in Japan on its own platform. This is Toy's luxury SUV, at least here, and is available in several different versions elsewhere in the world. The # of LXs/LCs being brought in to the US has gone down due to the SQ's introduction I'm sure. And the LX/LC is probably considered mid-size. The # of Toy SUV offered around the world is more than 9 when you consider the various trim and engine options and the 70 series that isn't offered here.

The FJ is, IMHO, designed for another niche ala the Scions etc. The Highlander seems to me to be a compliment or mabye competition for the Sienna?

LX only version of the LC has been rumored for a long time. People thought this was going to happen when the 100 series was introduced
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,642
    There's a new discussion that just started up:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4X4

Check it out.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Steel - I am aware of the current differences b/w the SQ/LC/LX and realize there are many different LCs across the world (70, 90, 120 series). Just has been rumored by various sources that the new US platform for the LX/SQ (and possibly the new LC 130 series) will be based on the F-concept platform introduced in Detroit last January. I sure hope the LC does not go to a shared frame, although I can easily see Toyota going that direction for obvious reasons. If that is the case, there will no longer be any material differentiation b/w the models other than cosmetics and minor tweaks, IMO and a sad day for LC enthusiasts.
  • FF4Life- hadn't heard about the F concept platform being shared and that being the basis for the LC. I thought that concept was on a Tacoma frame?

You're right--if that happens..............well, I don't want to think about it =(

My gut feeling is that it's not going to hapen, but what the heck do I know!
  • Here's a link - supposedly what the next Tundra/SQ/LX will be based on. This is just something I read on ih8mud.com. Probably just speculation.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftx.html
  • FF4L: I saw that at the LA auto show 2 weeks ago. It is big. There have been so many rumors floating around about the LC since the introduction of the 100 series which was "supposed" to be taken over by Lexus.

It might make sense to have the two versions (LX and LC) sold by one "brand". It might simply be called Landcruiser and Landcruiser LX? And let Toy continue with the SQ? The LC/LX platform has obviously become the luxury sport ute for Toy as it's gone from FJ to wagon to luxury SUV over the years.

I'm far too guilty of "forcing" my own preferences into my speculation! But I just find it hard to believe that Toy will reduce the luxury content of the LC/LX. Just have a feeling they're going to wow us all with the new one--whenever it comes out.
  • That's entirely possible. Matter of fact, my dealer told me last year that he had heard a rumor of separate dealerships (kind of like Land Rover) dedicated to Land Cruisers with various models and trim options. That would be ok by me, but not sure demand is there, but who knows if pricing is right. Just wish they would give us a hint at the FJ debut - again probably wishful thinking.
  • I have had an Fj80 for many years but have never had the problem I am having now in the middle of the Blizzard of 2005.

Here in Connecticut its so cold that the middle seats will not stay down - I am guessing that the metal bars in the floor and on the clamp mechanism at the base of the seats that usually grip around that bar have shrunk below the minimum and cant grip anymore (I am sure that explanation is as clear as mud!). So the middle seat passengers pitch forward when the car stops... I dont have my third row in right now but this might happen back there as well if installed.

Also, anyone ever use a block heater - I seem to recall that some LCs were made with a block heater capability.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,642
    I used block heaters when I lived up north it were ~10°F or so. Anchorage has been giving block heaters away every fall for a few years to help meet EPA emissions. Now my cars are garaged in Boise and I haven't plugged them in for years.

Any engine with freeze plugs should accept a block heater. Some people use a battery blanket to help the car start too.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,066
    Got some new tires for my 1996 Toyota Landcruiser. Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO in the stock size, 275-70-16. They replaced the oem tires Michelin LTX's with 60.5k and app 3/32 left on the treads. While the LTX's are very well rated, the REVO's seem to take almost every category up a notch. This 1996 is driven by 4 different drivers,with another 15.5 year old learning and getting her license on, so I am not too surprized it gave up the ghost at app 60.5k. On a 1994 I got closer to 75,000 with a 15.5 year old learning to drive on this set of tires. While I only have 150 miles during break in I am excited about this new set and can let folks know how they are in the longer term if interested.
  • Boggles my mind you got that kind of mileage from the LTXs. I got 25K out of my first set on my 80 series, put some Duelers on and only got a bit over 20K. I've been a fan of BFG ATs ever since. Get 60K with no problem from them.
    Yeah, I was impressed with the BFG AT's also!

I was at first hesitant about getting "duelers" again. I had two sets before (on other Landcruisers) and was not impressed by the first set, nor impressed by the second set, even though my tire vendor said there was a significant improvement.
  • I hope Bstones work well for you.
  • I have Duelers on mine.....they seem great.....
  • I bought a new Cruiser in 2002 and started to get an annoying rattle at 45,000 miles. Sounds as though it is coming from the center of the dash near the windshield. Only hear it when I go over bumpy roads. On smooth roads it cannot be heard. The dealer said it was a loose front passenger air vent and replaced it but the sound still persists. The mechanic told me the Tundras had the same problem and the dash had to be removed and foam adhesive added to the underside of the dash. Of course when I brought it back to demo the noise, I couldn't reproduce it because there were no bumpy roads near the dealer. Dealer willing to work with me on this but it is a major inconvenience. They could go ahead and remove the dash but I am worried that the whole assembly may not be put back together like at the factory and I may get worse rattles, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. After spending 58K on a truck, shouldn't have to deal with this! Thanks!
  • teddy2teddy2 Posts: 2
    Can anyone in the know tell us when the LC 120 will come out? I am presently considering buying the LC 100 however come to think of it the body has been in the market since 97.

thanks for sharing.
  • You mean that body style has been in the market since 1991.....
  • The "Landcruiser 120" you refer appears to be the same as the RX300 in the UK.
  • teddy2teddy2 Posts: 2
    The rx 3000 looks pretty small for a truck.

I am presently using LC80.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    I sold my Mercedes ML320 last week and am in the market for a Land Cruiser. I have ruled out the LX because of two reasons. I need the extra 6500 lb towing capacity vs the 5000 lbs for the LX470, secondly I don't care too much about the variable suspension settings and heigh control, etc etc. The only feature on the LX470 that I will truly miss is the memory settings.

I am holding of on purchasing a new one until I know what's going to happen in 2006. I believe there is going to be some big changes for the LC/LX. These are the flagship trucks in the Lexus/Toyota line up and the still come with the less powerful older 4.7L V8. Even the 4Runner has the new VVTI V8 with 280 HP.

If I find a good used 02/03, I'll get it and trade it in when the new one is out.
  • I thought the 120 series was the US equivalent of the GX 470 and 4-runner, referred to as the LC Prado overseas. Or are those part of the 70 or 90 series platform?
  • Toyota has been tight lipped about this one and one would think there would already be news if they were tooling up for a new platform in 2006. I think the earliest will be 2007 and maybe 2008 after the Tundra/Sequoia are introduced. They are all rumored to share the new platform. Maybe they will give us a hint at the FJ debut.
  • I would be curious to know how they are working. My carrier, Verizon, has introduced one (Motorola V710) that apparently doesn't work very well. I was hoping to get one if they can work the bugs out....until I read this:

http://news.com.com/Lexus+a+nexus+between+cars+and+phone+viruses/- 2100-7349_3-5551367.html
  • After about six months of intensive looking and, my wife says, agonizing, I finally made my Section 179 purchase on December 31. I bought a Porche Cayenne for 43K which I love as a great AWD go to work rocket. The only (?) reservation I have is that for the 10 year long run, a TLC would have been better. Unfortunatly, I couldn't get over the 60K entry fee for a new one and to buy a three to four year old one for 41-42K didn't seem like enough of a savings to compensate me for the three years put on the car. Now if Toyota wouldn't insist on loading all the TLC with NAV , I would have been interested. (I was told reluctantly by a regional rep that I could special order one NAV less but it would take 5 months etc.) The Seq had no appeal to me.

Since I think that I will pick up a used TLC when our Volvo XC dies, can I still lurk on this site?
    All of mine were bought under the sec 179. Excluding the sec 179 rules, one had a yearly depreciation of app 3% per year!! So the actual depreciation cost was 500 per year or 42 dollars per month. With the sec 179 rules...well they are also fantastic business vehicles!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    can I still lurk on this site?

Not only can you still lurk you may also participate in discussions, ask questions, offer insights, perspectives and information, relate relevant experiences and convey (on-topic) jokes and humor as well as heap praise on edmunds.com's forums and hosts! ;-)

And, congratulations, BTW!

tidester, host
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    I am in the market for an LC myself and I saw a used 2003 LC Base version (No NAV, etc). The car fax checks out and the dealer is asking 41K or something like that. The truck has done 16K miles. I would prefer something with the NAV and I know it is really hard to find a base version, so if anyone is interested go to cars.com and search for for 2003 LC within 100 miles of NYC (Zip 10004).
  • Tilt. IMHO a 2003 TLC with 16,000 miles for 41K is either a real base model (maybe they offer a 2WD base model in cloth?) or is may be a real steal. So, I looked at the ad. Two things jumped out: Lexus of Rockville Center (the dealer offerring it) did not mention color nor if it was 4WD. They did say "fully loaded" though. The dealer's location was 31 miles away from zip code 10004. BUT, the next ad up the page (for 1K more) was from the same dealer. This TLC had 4WD and grey paint. Only thing is, this same dealer is now 21 miles away from the same zip code. As this old lobsterman said earlier, tilt.