Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Am I right in thinking that for my '91 Fj 80 I would also need to get the later '94 manual to cover the rear full-floating hub and differential hubs?
  • Greetings -

I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a 'leftover' 2003 LC or a used low mileage 2000-02 model. So far, the pricing here in the northeast seems to be $35K-37K for a certified 2000 with low miles (less than 40K). I've got a dealer willing to give an $8K discount on the 2003 models, which still puts them at $50K + (depending upon options, natch). A lot of dough! But the new vehicle has Side Curtain Airbags for the first two rows (a big selling point with the family riding along) and the 5sp automatic getting (slightly) better fuel 'economy'. Yeah, the Nav is nice but certainly not a must have - fun diversion on long trips I suppose.

Am I getting taken here? Should I be working the dealer(s) harder on this?

Thanks for your comments!

Chris
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Posts: 238
    Not unless you swapped in a '93 or later FF rearend. The stock fj80 rearend is a SF drum brake setup.
  • So the 1991 and 1992 model was replaced by the 1993 model - am I reading that correctly? I got my 1991 right when there was a major model change and I guess that the new model only lasted two years before an upgrade?

PS.
    I think it might have been Idahodoug who suggested that the Bentley (I think that was the name) manual was preferable to the factory manual - any comment on that?
    Yes, 91/92 have the 3FE, 4l, pushrod motor, and '93 and later have the 1fzfe, 4.5l, DOHC motor. There are other, minor differences.

Dunno about Bentley, but the Gregory's manual is good. I have factory and Gregory's. They complement each other well.
  • albivalbiv Posts: 35
    I purchased my '03 in June. Sticker was $61K and I got it for 54k. That was about 1k over dealer cost which is what the Edmuinds TMV price showed at that time. I noticed recently the TMV price is more than the 1k over dealer cost that I paid. LC's are pricey but I plan on keeping mine for a very long time so I don't mind the extra up front costs. I would think now would be a good time to deal on one. Don't get caught up in the excitement. I walked out 2 times before we agreed on a price. Work the dealer as hard as possible. I filled out Edmunds free dealer quote page and had 3 or 4 dealers contact me through E Mail.

Hope this helps
  • Has anyone here had a good experience with a front ‘mask’ protection on a TLC. I have a 99 model and I would like to protect it from the ‘pebbles’ they fill the streets with for snow purposes here in Colorado. It literarily damages the front end of many cars. I am not too thrilled with the ‘Clear Mask’ as it tends to fade, wear out, and starts really looking ugly. Replacement is semi-impossible.

I am leaning towards the Colgan ‘Carbon Fiber’ mask. . any thoughts?!
  • Guys,
    Hi, I have a 1997 Land Cruiser with only 44,000 miles and the check engine light just came on! The car is running fine. My question is:

1.) Does anyone have details on how to pull codes from the landcruiser

2.) Does the Land Cruiser typically turn on the light for normal maintenance?

Any insight is appreciated:
    email me.
    stevepieczko@yahoo.com
  • Thanks,

Looks like I can buy a new 2003 with all options including the DVD rear seat entertainment for $52,800. I might just go for that. The dealer I had been working with packed up all non-entertainment system LC's and sent them to the auction today!
    You need an OBD-II code reader. You can have the dealer or another shop read the codes, or buy a reader. Autozone may read the codes for you for free.

No, it does not illuminate for maintenance.
    Hard to imagine paying $53k for a car. I had a hard time justifying paying $22k for my used '93 :-).
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I am considering a used, 99 to 01. I know these things are built last and being Toyota, has good reliability. I am wondering if there is any major differenced in the years mentioned, and what it is like in terms of maintenance. I am sure the same question was asked before so if there is any place that has "FAQ", please point me there (my email is in my profile).
    Thanks.
  • Re Valuations. My 1991 is worth around $5,950 according to used car guides! However with only 107,000 miles on the clock since new (cost $29,000) this is a ridiculous figure is it not. I am not comprehensively insured anymore as that used car valuation doesnt make it worthwhile to pay the extra premium (I pay $1200/year as it is where I live) - big problem if I have an accident.
  • albivalbiv Posts: 35
    It is hard to pay that much for a car/suv. But when you consider that the majority of SUV's on the market when compareably equipped to a LC run in the mid 40's, it's not that much of a stretch to buy the one that all of the others aspire to be. I looked at other SUV's when I made my purchase and none of them stacked up to the LC. The GM's were in the 40's, Escalades in the 50's etc. Even the Sequoia when loaded is in the mid 40's. When you factor in the reliability and resale value of a LC I believe it was the right purchase for me.
  • I know what you mean. I found my new 2002 on Ebay. It didn't sell in the auction, but I called the dealer and got it for $46,200. The original sticker price was $58,688. It had 400 miles, and is loaded with wood trim and navigation system.
  • I tend to concur with albiv and will add the following. .

Resale is truly of the essence when you invest in a car. You hope to regain as much money out of the sale as possible (even when retention is for years). Not one SUV can stand up to the resale value retention that the TLC maintains, except probably for the 4 runner.

Value: Look at all the used SUVs listed for sale. You will notice that all the US made SUVs are cheap, especially once they exceed the 100K miles (Expeditions, Tahoe, Escalade). Yes, they might have more power, and yes they might have more space, but that’s about it. As for quality, it just does not exist. Besides, have you ever seen a Ford, GMC, Chevy or any other US made SUV being sold with over 150K miles?!?! Very few if any.

In the TLC story, you truly ‘get what you paid for’
  • Where is the best way to sell a 2000 TLC?
  • idahodougidahodoug Posts: 537
    Not me recommending any manual over the factory Toyota Cruiser manual. Great advice from JoeBlow above on getting the '94 books if you have a '93.

IdahoDoug
  • Sorry I incorrectly attributed ther manual recommendation to you! But someone DID recommend to me a manual which is more detailed than the factory manual. Now I cant remember what it was called unfortunately.
  • Folks,

I went ahead and bought, you can add these data points to your info on purchasing. I got a 2003 with 25 miles (new car) with Nav/18"/RR & RB/CSA and the Rear Seat Entertainment for $52,800. Sticker was $60,855.

Let the depreciation begin! We plan to keep for 8 yrs+ so I am counting on the reliability.

Chris