Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Here is some interesting data, pulled tonight from Edmunds for Model Year 2000 TLC, EB Edition Explorer, and Disco Series II.

Trade in value Private Party Sale Dealer Retail

TLC: $20,500 $23,000 $25,500

Disco II: $11,000 $12,600 $14,300

EB Exploder: $ 7,900 $9,500 $10,900

Gee, someone could buy a Disco or an Exploder, have a dealer install a factory remanufactured engine and transmission, totally rebuild the front suspension (struts, control arms, etc.), install new brakes, rebuild some of the engine accessories (starter, alternator, etc.) and put on four new skins and still be dollars ahead.
  • yea, but a new TLC back in 2000 was ~10k over the disco 2 and ~20k over the EB explorer. Also, the explore was the old body style, so it was smaller and didn't have seating for 8. The disco has more abalities, but it's also smaller. And to have a remanufactured engine and tranny installed by a dealer....with a whole new front end is more then 10K if you're going to put in something decent in either cars.

In addition, neither the discovery nor the explorer is a Land Cruiser. I happen to like my Land Cruiser very much and I'll admit the inital depreciation supprised me at first, but it's slowed down, and I would NEVER except the explorer being in the same class as the Land Cruiser. Yes, the disco is competition, but the feel of the Land Cruiser is much better then the disco. And if you need to carry 7 passengers, the disco can only carry 4 (6 if the third row if it was avaliable in 2000)
  • steenh1steenh1 Posts: 28
    My "Check Engine" light also went on at about 100k... was the sensor and $140 took care of it.

Dubes, I haven't seen many posts from people with over 200k miles... could you share your maintenance/repair experience? Would be interested to know if any major components have had to be replaced/repaired, and what it cost.

Thanks,
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Posts: 103
    Has anyone seen the '06 yet? Would be curious as to differences from '05. I can barely tell any difference on Toyota's website - all they did was photoshop the new grill, tailights and colors on last year's pictures.
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Posts: 402
    Haven't seen one yet, but I did get some interesting info WRT '06 and '07 model years. Was at the dealer a short while ago and ran into the Area Tech Rep (long time friend of mine) who is very well connected and usually has good gouge. He said that the reason the VVTi engine didn't come with the '05 model year was EPA certification issues. Apparantly the engine has to be certified with the specific vehicle and Toy couldn't get it certified in time for the '05 model year. Now, here's where it gets interesting. Minor changes (as we know) for '06 and then in '07 the LC will remain the same. Then probably the big re-design as an '08. He said that he's been told the LC will continue here because Toy knows it has a loyal base of LC enthusiasts. However, he said that after '06 the LX 470 is history and will be replaced by a luxury version of the Seqouia. This makes me think that instead of doing an '07 LC intro, Toy will wait until it has the hybrid available? I've been told that hybrids will be availale across the line by '08, which would explain why we will potentially have a ten model year run on the 100 series? Hmmmm

Sure hope this info turns out to be true. Could end up being better all the way around?
  • curious54curious54 Posts: 47
    Hi, I have a 2005 LC which i bought for my retirement car. I am thinking about buying a 24 foot travel trailer and it weighs around 5000lbs. My question is that like I said...this is my retirement car and so I want to keep it for a long time. So, if i start towing, will it effective the longevity of this Toyota vehicle because I know that it will stress the engine out and it will work harder, but i only plan to tow it about 3-4 times a year and so I am wondering and pondering...
    I have to agree with you on all your points. I guess the only response that I can make that makes any sense is that rugged quality costs.
  • mgreenemgreene Posts: 32
    Toyota is going to bring to market a "tarted up" Seqouia to the high profile "look at mine" SUV segment? Bad mistake in my estimation. I do not see how Toyota can take a $45k vehicle and upgrade it to the extent that it will compete in the high end Luxury SUV market.

In my view the LX 470 succsessfuly competed with the likes of Range Rover, because it combined the world class off road capabilities of Land Cruiser with the Luxury enhancements of Lexus. Seqouia, though fine SUV that it is, will probably not attract this market segment, no matter how much lipstick Toyota puts on it.

Toyota as acorporate entity has always been a little strange, in my opinion, but this could rank as an all time high bizarre move, if it is in fact true.

my take
    mgreene
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Posts: 402
    Couldn't agree more. Just passing on info from someone that's on the "inside". It's probably a little hard for Toy to take the LC/LX to the same perceived luxury level as RR with the Sequoia in their mix?

I didn't get to talk with the guy long enough to get any more details, but my take was that Lexus would have the perked up Seqouia and Toy keeps the LC. It seems that things that have been in the LX, have a way of showing up in the LC. Such is the case this year (2006) with the height adjustable suspension. The rumor of LC going to be a Lexus only has been circulating for quite a while. As we only get one “trim” option here, I suppose the badging was an issue.

Guess this is something we’ll just have to keep watching!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    posted earlier, so, if it has, just refer me to the series of posts to get my answer...

What are the real differences between the TLC and the LX470? Is either better than another, or is it just an Explorer/Mountaineer but with a classier vehicle? Are they really THAT well made, or are you owners just trying to psychologically justify the expense in your minds? What are the best features of each, and what are the worst features/complaints of each? Knowing what you now know, would you buy that year and model again, or would you seek out a cheaper SUV?

When the time comes, I will be looking at 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2005/6 Nissan Pathfinder, 2006 Jeep Commander, and 2000-2003 TLC/LX470.

Last question...what were the years of the Lexus LX450, prior to the 470, and would you consider that as a more economical vehicle, or did it have any special problems to deal with, possibly solved by the upgrade to the 470.

I do not intend to tow much, as I have a Dodge Ram for that, but what I want is an SUV with part-time 4WD, so I can engage 4WD only when I want it, to go over hills, mud, snow (rarely)...do NOT want AWD...and only need 1st and 2nd row seating, rear will be for 1-2 dogs...

Thanks for any help...
  • Sounds like neither the LC nor the LX is for you. Both have full-time 4WD.
  • I'm not going to go find the post, but the major differences between the LX/LC is the level of Luxury. The LX is quieter, has more wood, and depending on the year, more options (nav, memory, sound). It also has the air suspension, which the new 06 LC has now.

The 450 became the 470 in 98, and knowing what I know now, and after having my 2000 TLC for 5 years now, I'd probably still would have bought the same SUV. The only reason I wouldn't get it would be if gas prices were to go past $3 ($1.20 back in the days)

Interms of an SUV without full time four and third row, an eairlier LC or LX450 might be what you're looking for.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    "interms of an SUV without full time four and third row, an eairlier LC or LX450 might be what you're looking for."

Actually, all Landcruisers (since 1991) and LX450/LX470 (since '96) have been full-time four-wheel drive. If you are looking for part-time four-wheel arrangement, I'd recommend V6 4Runner

LC/LX Upside: An extremely reliable and well-made vehicle. But looking at your needs, it seeme to be over-built.

LC/LX Downside: Poor gas mileage and relatively high cost of repairs if something does breakdown. Most people here are do-it-at-home people so likely won't realize the high cost of ownership but those who are going to be taking it in for repairs will attest to high repair tab. But since repairs are rare, the cost of ownership could be a wash.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    I think we are looking at this issue as TLC/LX enthusiasts. However, at Toyota Corporate, the bean counters have a say too. TLC has a great history, heritage etc. That's not enough for the Average person to shell out 60K for a Toyota truck. From a marketing/profitability/cost perspective, I think it makes sense for the 2008 Tundra/Sequoia/LC/LX to share the same platform as Nissan has done with the Armada/Titan/Xterra/Pathfinder/QX56 etc. They all share the same basic chasis with modifications. I will still trade in my 2002 TLC the last model year TLC be it in 2007 or 2008 and hold on to it for life. Landcruiser or bust ....
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    that they were full time 4WD (is that what AWD is?)...I want a regular 2WD with levers and switches to engage 4WD, hi or lo range, only when I want or need it...thanks for the info update, you guys have been very helpful...

Ain't it annoying? One (OK, two) of the best made SUVs out there are out of consideration just because they do not have my kind of 4WD...maybe Infinity will come out with a successor to the QX4, altho it would be well out of my price range until it was 2-3 years used...
    Yep, am currently looking to go ahead and purchase the 2006. Just tired of sitting on my hands waiting for Toyota to make a move. Actually, Toyota making the move is what scares me the most - just do not have a good feeling about the next generation series, especially the likely possibility of it sharing the Sequoia/Tundra platform. Bet it will be made in U.S., too. A hybrid LC would be the only thing that could sway me down the road, but there are many bugs to be worked out and it will demand a hefty premium - probably upwards of $70K. Now, just need to determine which color will best persevere the next 10-15 years. I welcome any color suggestions....
  • I don't remember the source, but somewhere I read that the only color that has never gone "out of fashion" is silver. Coincidentally, my uncle, who is an insurance risk assessment analyst, keeps telling me silver is also statistically the safest color.

However, I would recommend you go with the color you like best. Seems like the LC doesn't come in any colors that a few years down the road you couldn't stand anymore (unlike some Humvees I see around town in bright yellow or Jeeps in purple metallic).
    Excellent points. I have always been partial to the silver colors on the 80/100 - they seem to really accentuate the LC's classic lines. Probably will end up going with thunder cloud. Also like the black, but the upkeep would probably get the best of me over time. My all time favorite was river rock green, but unfortunately it's no longer offered. Wish they would bring river rock back along with the bronze tinted glass, but those days are probably long gone.
    Nissan puts the same frame (and yes it is body on frame architecture) under 4 cylinder Xterras and V8 Armadas?? Titans and Pathfinder?? Man, aren't there some huge wheelbase, GVW , powertrain, and other differences?
  • davefromnjdavefromnj Posts: 10
    I noticed on Toyota's website when I built my LC, it forced me to take the $6300.00 option (DVD, Nav, etc.) I rather buy the LC without those options. Is it possible to buy a base model? Or does the LC come with the options as "standard" based on my region?