Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• hicairahicaira Posts: 276
    Bike racks:

Whatever you get, make sure it is a swing-away type that allows you to open the rear drop gate when in use. OSI makes one and I am sure there are others. http://www.performanceproducts.com sells them.

A word of caution though: high speed driving on dirt or gravel roads with anything in the hitch will cause rocks to ricochet off the rack(or whatever else you're trailing) back into the rear of the car. Some costly paint work may be in your future.

HiC
  • jester42jester42 Posts: 1
    Another great source is rei.com.

They have a large selection from a variety of vendors. I am using the Yakima TerraFirma 4 Bike Hitch and have been very pleased with it.

Jester42
  • lc2000lc2000 Posts: 33
    Like a leather coat, leather seats need to breath. The first thing most leather coat makers tell you is don't store the coat in plastic. Not sure why, but I suspect that over an extended period of time, the leather becomes stiff with a tenancy to crack. Just a thought.
  • Has anyone measured how much fuel remains when the low fuel warning light first comes on? The fuel capacity in the 100 series is 25.4 gals. I wonder how far you can push this after the light tries to scare you into the next gas station?
  • ptownptown Posts: 9
    From what I can tell from my '97 80 series, there's at least 4 or 5 gallons still in the tank when the light goes on. I pushed it once and went another 40+ miles before I wussed out and pulled in to the station to quench the beast, and I still only got about 23 gallons in. Whether all LCs perform the same, though, I do not know...
  • Gentlemen,
    I am aiming at buying a '01 Toyata Tundra V-8 which is the same engine you TLC owners have been living with.
    I have perused your postings hoping to get some feel for the subject engine's "ease to live with" points over several years of operations.

Are you swearing by it or at it???

Haven't seen hardly any comments about that V-8 engine. Does no postings mean no problems???
    Any feedback about that powerplant (good or bad) would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ed
  • dwrichadwricha Posts: 24
    During a visit to my barber one Saturday, I happened to park my 97 TLC right next to another 97 40th Anniversary TLC. The only thing I noticed was how much more after market parts this rig was equipped with (chrome wheels, bush bars, etc.)than mine. Mine don't look bad at all, but not as "equipped" as this was. Another barber was outside talking with someone when I arrived. I greeted them and went in to wait my turn. When the other barber came in he said that he looked at both and noticed that the 40th was noticeably bigger than mine. I told him I thought that they were the same, but I wasn't sure about it, so, I thought that I'd ask someone here. Is there really a difference in size with these 2 vehicles?
    mapconsultant:

Once went 75 miles after the warning light came on (all freeway). took 24.5 gallons at the pump that time. That's as far as I dare to go. Translated to just about 5 gallons in reserve when the light first went on.

macsfriended: I have a 98 that I purchased within two months of the V-8 being introduced. Engine has been flawless. More power than I expected, better climbing (laden or unladen), never burned any oil (5 qts of synthetic goes in and 4000 miles later 5 qts of syntethic drain out) and has never had the slightest hiccup in temps ranging from 115 degree Mojave desert heat to -20 degree Wyoming winters.

I've also been on this board from almost the beginning and cannot recall any engine specific complaints. Wind noise, lousy stereo, vibrating gas pedal, rattles here & there and two front diffs failing have been about it.

HiC
  • mghmgh Posts: 43
    Woooooow......

I am surprised you are still driven it. TLC Holds 7.2 QTS of oil.. : )

MG
    So shoot me.

HiC
  • New 2000 TLC. Still don't know how to or when to use the "power" button located next to gear shift at center console. What does this do, and why would I need it? Also, thanks for the info on the low fuel warning light.
  • mobiweldmobiweld Posts: 99
    Engine revs to a higher rpm before shifting.....Live dangerously.....push the button.
  • I just bought a 97 40th with 11,100 miles on it and would like to know what additional options (dealer and/or DE) should have been on it. Mine doesn't have locking deferential, bush guard or chrome wheels. Your help would be much appreciated. Can I purchase a compass/outside temperature package for this model? Chuck
  • Will the nice gentleman who called me, local to me, wanting the white/oak Landcruiser (new) puhleeze call me or email me again? I can't find you in my email to reach you.

Dianne
  • That's bRush guard. The Bushguard is what Al Gore needed last November.

Dianne the Republican
    Dianne, I thought I would have gotten a response from someone by now, after I saw your name a few minutes ago, I thought to myself "hey, Dianne should know", so here's the question again. Is there a difference in the size on a standard 97 TLC and the 40th Anniversary Edition?
    I've tried locating this info but can't find anything to distinguish the 2.
    Help!!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    There is no difference in size. If you note any, it is purely an optical illusion.
  • It's due to the fender flare colors or perhaps to a tire size diff?

Dianne
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Posts: 238
    The only difference is the size of the wallet of the 40th anniv owner. It will be smaller.
  • "anaversery"

What in the heck is that!?
    Wow!! I said Dianne and got much response. Thanks to you all, I tried to tell that other barber that there was no difference but he was so sure of himself and what he saw. I should mention that he does wear thick glasses!!! That confirms the "optical illusion".
    By the way, where are the flags coming from?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,140
    From your profile, dwricha.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I wanna "racing" flag on mine! ;>
  • Considering his apparent visual accuity, just wondering if you're letting this guy cut your hair!
    No way!!! This was another barber that also works in the same shop. He and another guy was standing outside talking when I arrived.
    He does cut others hair though!! Not mine!!!
  • Can anyone give me information to tell my dealer? I know some of you have had the fix but my dealer has gotten no where on a fix. Is it just a matter of getting a replacement amp directly from JBL?
  • maxfieldmaxfield Posts: 5
    My bass blues continue but the end is in sight. I bought in December and noticed the problem right away. I bidded my time until it looked like the problem was solved before I took it to the dealer. (I had mentioned it to Toyota when they called for their satifaction survey.)

I took it in last month with a print out of this forum including the post with a part number. They agreed that the bass sounded bad but said no one else had complained. They copied this forum and said they'd get back to me. I called in a week. No progress. I suggested they call JBL. I waited. I called in a week. No progress. JBL didn't know they said. They didn't want to order a new amp because the part number is the same as the current amp. They suggested I wait until a service bulletin surfaced. I said fine. That same day I logged on to the Toyota website and sent Toyota a complaint. In short my message was that the stereo in my '01 TLC stinks, I know there is a fix, my dealer can't or won't find it, please help them.

Ta Dah! My dealer calls and says that their service guys went to a "class" and learned how to fix the problem. My new amp is now on order!

Squeaky wheel gets greased. Politely take your stereo complaint to a level above your local dealer and I bet you will see results. I used the Toyota customer website (http://owners.toyota.com/) Others from this forum have called regional service managers.

I waited quietly for a month and got nothing. I complained to the the national customer satisfaction center and my amp was on order in 48 hrs.
  • I have em-ailed and called so hopefully my stereo will no longer have those lowdown bass blues. What is the name and city of the dealer that will do the work.