Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• reticent1reticent1 Posts: 70
    I sincerely doubt the dealer will give you a runaround. Let's hope not! The heat-shield problem's pretty open and shut for dealers... they all know about it. :D We have someone who works here that owns a 1998 LC and she was one of the first folks with the problem (before it was a TSB) and it was fixed pronto. It's actually an easy fix. Good luck with your dealer. :>

-Ret
  • nrossinrossi Posts: 47
    No dealer run around? Well, I spoke to the dealer/service rep that did the inspection on the car and who first told me about the heat shield yesterday. I gave him the TSB number and vin of my car, and he said he would get back to me. I have called him several times since then and he keeps saying the same thing, but he never calls. Apparently there is only one guy who knows how to work the "TSB" machine and he is busy with an engine. The worst part is the guy that I am dealing with sounds honest. The dealership closest to me ( I live in manhattan ) sounds like a total crooks. When I called them asking about there being a TSB out for the heat shield, they said no and it would probably cost around $500 in labor not to mention parts!

Good thing I got a new pair of sneakers!

-nick
  • stevenginastevengina Posts: 15
    Hi everyone, I am one of the lucky first owners of the 2001 TLC with the Bass problem. I have many posts on this site. Just wanted all future owners to know that this is the first and last Toyota I will ever own!! Love the SUV, just hate the terrible customer service Toyota provides. And yes, this is very important to me. After months of lies from Toyota, they finally fixed the problem only after filing a lawsuit. In the long run Toyota settled my case to my satisfaction.
    Sure wish Toyota had treated me right from day one!! It eventually Cost them My time and their money to settle this case. And yes.. They lost.
    Anyone with this problem would know what a terrible design flaw is inherent to all 2001 TLC stereos.
    So why would Toyota take themselves through a lawsuit that they know they would loose?
    Toyota... What a joke... Shame on your whole corporation.. Thanks to my on persistance.. I can listen to my stereo on a $55,000. + SUV..Goodbye Toyota.
    Call 800-331-4331 and explain your situation. That is the Toyota toll-free hotline for the entire USA. Having the # of the TSB helps and they will direct you to another dealership near to you. The toll free folks are pretty good at this sort of thing usually.

-Ret
  • njpaguynjpaguy Posts: 55
    What is the TSB number for the 2001 stereo bass problem? Thanks.
  • I have a 94 LC w/ 93000 miles. I will be taking a road trip in a couple days--12 hour drive;towing 3 motorcycles 1500# trailer; 1500# total on motorcycles= 3000#. Should I tow in overdrive or not? (I'm going to the mountains) Any other advice for trailering would be great. Thanks in adavance.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Posts: 238
    Read your owner's manual, drpimper212. It will advise you on towing procedures. Typically you do not use overdrive while towing, especially in the mountains. I'm hoping your trailer has surge brakes. Advance the timing a bit to get more power.

I towed about 6-7K lbs with my '93, and I left it in overdrive (except on major downhills), but used the ECT button.
  • lcboundlcbound Posts: 15
    Cliffy, you had asked previously about the 2001 4WD performance in off road conditions. I just tested our 2001 LC on the sands in Hatters, NC, and it performed great! Reduced the tire pressure down to 20 PSI one day, then only 25 the next (got lazy).

Drove into some deep, soft sand in normal gear, differentials unlocked, with no problem at all.

Then I tried "jumping tracks" in the deep sand -- the VSC started beeping (first time I heard that), so I backed off and got back into my track. Tried it again and turned the wheel hard: VSC started beeping again, but kept with it as the LC got over to the next track. I then locked the differential for fun, and it worked fine.

My Conclusion: the VSC works great in sand! I probably didn't need to lock the diffs, and probably could have let more air out of tires (20 down to 16 psi), but pressing the diff lock button was easier. It's good to know it's there in case you think you might need to lock the diffs.

I used to go on the sands with my '94 Jeep GC which would bounce horribly, and the whole chassis would squeak like styrofoam. The LC ride was pure luxury on the sand -- couldn't have been smoother or quieter.

Now if only my wife would let me drive it more often.

LCBound.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Thanks for that review. One of the owners of a Sequoia posted a very good review of the A-Trac system in mountainous off road conditions and I am very happy to read your experienced in sand. Here in VA, very few of my customers take their SUVs off road, but many drive down to Hatteras. I'll be passing on your comments to my customers.

For those who are interested, I wrote a detailed explanation of the A-Trac system at this topic:

/direct/view/.eeca1cf

OD off all the time. Trust me on this one. Even with the trans cooler, you will put far less stress on the transmission without the OD engaged.
  • c_williamsc_williams Posts: 28
    Great 5 posts on the 4wd operation. Just one correction - on my 2000 LC, the ActiveTrac is not disabled when in 4L. VSC is, but not ActiveTrac. This makes sense because there is no locking front/rear differential so ActiveTrac is all you've got.
    Has anyone purchased any good mirror extensions for their 1998 or newer LC. The stock mirrors don't provide complete visibility down the sides of the trailer.

I've looked at the CIPA slide on mirrors, but can't seem to find a version for the 100 series LC.
    You are correct about the TRAC system operating in 4 low. The post became garbled from the copy and poste job. What is said is that the VSC and TRACs are disengaged only when you lock the center differential. On the Sequoia, this only happens when you are in Low and shift the transmission into "L" as well. The LC and Runner have a button for this mode.
    So I just purchased a 1997 Range Rover SE 4.0. I got a steal of a deal, otherwise I would have passed, given the reliablity problems with the Range Rover.

As soon as I get it, I'll write up a comparison between my 2000 LC and the Rover. It should be fun! I'm looking forward to taking the Rover off road and testing its legendary prowess.
  • ironside7ironside7 Posts: 38
    I just purchased a 98 TLC. The tail pipe is surrounded by a stainless steel shroud, which I've noticed is not on other TLCs that I've seen. Was this an option on the 98, or is it perhaps a Borla Exhaust? I've looked at the rest of the exhaust system and can't discern any product markings.
  • hicairahicaira Posts: 276
    Sounds like you have a Borla. Crawl underneath the car and look at the resonator. I recall mine having a "Borla" name in stamped metal on it. Been a while since I installed it though. You can also compare the picture with that of the Borla in Performance Products catalog (not in their web site last time I looked).

HiC
  • ac796ac796 Posts: 3
    The 2001 LC "boomy bass" problem can be fixed. (Can read post #823)... You can have the dealer order part # 86280-0W060-C from JBL. Took us less than 10 days to order and have fixed. Sounds great!
  • hudson6hudson6 Posts: 17
    My 95 has the light tan (picture coffee with cream)colored leather. The owners manual says to clean it with a 5% neutral wool detergent & H2O solution. I assume the neutral wool solution means Woolite or a like product.
    I am interested in finding any other successful techniques for cleaning and treating the leather.

Joeeblow1- have you been following the 80scool group reference 100 pads in an 80? My fronts should be due soon and I may give it a shot, any input?
  • njpaguynjpaguy Posts: 55
    Thanks all (including dianne4toyota!) for your assistance. Contacted both my dealer (PA) and the Toyota Hotline. Central Atlantic Toyota (dist.) followed up, cheerfully, and contacted my dealer to set up appointment to get serial numbers of head unit and amp. Now just waiting on the head unit to come in. I especially want to thank Steven who had the courage to stand up to Toyota early on, forcing their hand to admit to the problem, thereby helping the rest of us resolve the problem the way it should have been handled by Toyota from the start.
    I agree. Resoundingly in regards to Stevengina's efforts and hard work.

Amen.

-Ret