Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I have noticed some discussion about pricing the 2004 TLC, however there is no LC included on the 2004 model listed on this website (Edwards) for Toyota - what gives?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some of the pricing info is here for the '04 TLC (link). In fact, isn't that all the pricing info?

I don't know how our data department keeps track of the 100's of makes and models!

Steve, Host
  • dabobtdabobt Member Posts: 28
    Hey, I didn't want to get THAT DEEP into a discussion about profit. I guess, better put, the question is how much over invoice can a customer get away with these days.

One of the local dealers that responded to the edmunds based email I sent is quoting $1,500 over invoice (2004) model. He was also more informed than anyone else I have talked to about differences with the 04 model. Not to mention how the holdbacks work.

4% financing. I asked him to call again tomorrow if he figured out any way to shave the price down a bit. I'm probably there.

Bob.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Profit includes...

Good. We agree overall price affects supply and demand. I will simply say that if I perceive I am being gouged my demand for the product will dwindle rather precipitously - and leave it at that! :-)

tidester, host
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    Pull the dash cluster, and replace the bulb. It helps to pull the steering wheel, but it's not necessary.
    Specter Offroad (sor.com)
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Performance Products has a lot of LC items as well.
    Several 04's around here. I pick up mine tomorrow. I was all set to go with the one I typed in above at $1,500 over, but I pulled in a favor and got one for $950 over invoice at another dealer.

Even found one without the rear entertainment, saving another 2k !!

Should be fun. Thunder cloud. Bob.
  • jeff181jeff181 Member Posts: 4
    Dabobt

Can you give me the dealerships name? Thanks
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    Any of you V8 TLC owners install the TRD Supercharger? If so, how do you like it? Two issues I'm curious about are noise and (increased) fuel consumption.
    No names of individuals please. Dealer names are ok. Did you not get my email the other day?

Steve, Host
    No Steve, I didn't get an email from you. I did notice my post didn't show, which I thought was weird. I really didn't want to put anything in as I was more or less getting a house deal. I'd just as soon keep that dealer out of the forum here.

So I'll say this. I didn't buy my car at Roseville (CA) Toyota but I thought working with them was great and I would have no problem recommending them.

Sorry for the faux pas, I wasn't aware of the rule.

Bob.
    You're welcome to browse the Member Agreement at any time :-).

We find that shill posts are lessened when members don't post names of salespeople.

Carry on!

Steve, Host
    I COMPLETELY understand! Have really enjoyed learning from everyone here. Happy to be an owner now.

One thing I'll add. The 04 does have the "backup camera" tied into the nav screen. This feature is SO COOL. Even people I know that are pretty jaded about car electronics (etc) think this is great and a good safety feature. I just wanted it because I hoped it would let me backup to my trailer hitch more easily by myself.

I could see in a few years, when all cars have Nav or lcd displays, the gubmint requiring it, just like seat belts or airbags. It is really that neat.

Hey, one more thing since I'm on a roll. Whilst driving this weekend I thought I'd check out some of the Nav system features. I noticed that there are many items disabled while you are driving (smart move I suppose). One that isn't is "911." I asked it for the nearest emergency facilities and it said

"SIMPSON VASECTOMY CLINIC."

A system with a sense of humor!

Bob.
  • ctryanctryan Member Posts: 1
    Posted to the wrong place first time....

Great discussions going on in here! Like reading about the people with their LCs. IdahoDoug, you sound like you have some great insight on this vehicle. Was wondering what year you or anyone else out there would recommend to a guy looking for an 80series LC? Looking at minimum the 93 witht he 4.5, nothing newer than 97. I'm just starting to research the LC, always liked the looks of them. I've owned a 95 4Runner, loved it, never quit and a 99 Jeep Cherokee, great motor, but not in same ballpark as the 4Runner. I am looking to get a "big" suv for my trips for skiing and fishing, the Camry isn't cutting it. Wanting any advice for what to look for when I start looking at the used stuff. Saw some sites you guys recommended about the LC, in what to evaluate and watch out for.

How's ID treating you? I got an uncle who lives out in the middle of great country, outside Lemhi.

thanks- ctryan
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    There has not been much talk on the upcoming redesign of Sequoia and LC. My gut feel is that Toyota is going to drop the 4.7L V8 and go for a bigger displacement 5.6L plus engine on the LC and Sequoia and keep the 4.7L on the 4-Runner in order to stay in league with Nissan Armada and GM and Ford SUVs. Has anyone else heard anything on this ? It is about time Toyota went with a bigger displacement engine as 4.7L is little underpowered for the size of these SUVs.
    I COMPLETELY understand! Have really enjoyed learning from everyone here. Happy to be an owner now.

One thing I'll add. The 04 does have the "backup camera" tied into the nav screen. This feature is SO COOL. Even people I know that are pretty jaded about car electronics (etc) think this is great and a good safety feature. I just wanted it because I hoped it would let me backup to my trailer hitch more easily by myself.

I could see in a few years, when all cars have Nav or lcd displays, the gubmint requiring it, just like seat belts or airbags. It is really that neat.

Hey, one more thing since I'm on a roll. Whilst driving this weekend I thought I'd check out some of the Nav system features. I noticed that there are many items disabled while you are driving (smart move I suppose). One that isn't is "911." I asked it for the nearest emergency facilities and it said

"SIMPSON VASECTOMY CLINIC."

A system with a sense of humor!

Bob.
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    Rep at the Chicago auto show said 5.4L engine is in the works.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I don't know the future of the LC, but I can tell you what we have been told about the Tundra. Within 2 years, we will have a larger V8 (5.4 I believe), a diesel and a hybrid. Yes, a hybrid gas/electric full size truck.
  • chersampschersamps Member Posts: 1
    hey, i'm in georgia. looking for a loaded low mileage LC in either white, champagne.

anyone have an excellent one?

will prob end up buying on ebay or something if i don't hear from someone tomorrow or something.
  • firemousefiremouse Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone replaced the original Plugs with the Bosch Plat. 4+?

I'm considering doing it myself.

what is the difficulty level?

BTW, it's on a 99 TLC.
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Ryan,

93-94 had a heavier but less smooth transmission, and a larger radiator. From 95-97 the key changes are the smoother tranny, smaller rad, OBDII engine diagnostics, dual airbags, and a few minor added features.

Stuff to look for. Like any used car a good maintenance history. In particular, that all fluids were properly changed out (all three diffs, coolant, engine oil, tranny fluid), etc. There is an axle seal that is typically neglected which allows diff oil to leak onto the inboard surfaces of the hubs. Grease is supposed to come out there, so don't let a normal one scare you.

No years are considered bad, just your budget and desire for the newer features. Go to www.sleeoffroad.com to find some tech info on them. It's pretty comprehensive and these guys are hardcore users so they know the 80 series quite well. If you're an eBay shopper, watch out for an outfit from Florida that always seems to have several. Reputedly, they are shysters.

IdahoDoug
    350 miles now on my 04 TLC. I really love the ride, power, handling. I haven't floored it or stomped on the brakes (I'm in break in...).

One item I have found to dislike a great deal is that the power outlets don't work when the ignition is off. So much for recharging my phone each night. Hard to believe. They even have a circuit limiter in the interior lights - if you leave them on the car shuts them off to protect the battery.

Mine came with Dunlop Gran Trek 23's. The steering feel was nonexistent. I knew it wasn't the LC since I had driven a 2002 that had steering feel.

I'm indebted to the poster that left the link to the tirerack survey. I wouldn't have thought to change out brand new tires. I just got Michelin Cross Terrains and they really are great. "Hey, I can feel the road!" ($100 trade in for my dunlops. Not much, but I didn't intend to drive those for three years and wait that long for decent tires). Shame on Toyota though for such lame tires on a car that costs that much money.

Bob.
  • lcownerlcowner Member Posts: 3
    To ctryan: I'm getting ready to sell my 93 LC, white, grey leather interior, 3rd row, CD, moonroof, etc. Let me know if you're still looking.

lcowner
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    Jason just a question - why is the mileage so low? Whats the location and price?
  • hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    I replaced the plugs on my 99 with Toyota factory irridium tips. Took about an hour. The left side of the block seemed more difficult, but that is where I started. The hardest part was removing the long stems on the wires. I think staying with the OEM plugs is the way to go, although I'm really unfamiliar with the irridium technology.
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    Iridium: 8 times stronger than platinum, 6 times harder, and with a melting point 1200 degrees higher. New laser welding techniques make it possible to make a spark plug with an iridium electrode. The result, supposedly, is a plug that requires less voltage to spark, burns more of the fuel in the cylinder, and can spark at LEANER air/fuel mixtures, resulting in higher horsepower and better gas mileage.

Although the plugs are expensive, theoretically you don't have to change them as often as garden variety spark plugs. The iridium electrode is extremely resistant to erosion, so it can last MUCH longer than a normal plug. (Longevity will vary by usage, fuel mixture, and other factors.)
  • johnlarsenjohnlarsen Member Posts: 1
    A while back there were posts on steering wheel noises on 2003 LC. My 2003 LC has now developed this very low "moaning" noise at low speeds (for example in parking lots.) Local Toyota and Lexus dealers have no clue what this could be. Before I schedule an appointment has anyone figured this out? Any concerns here? Thank you.
  • lcownerlcowner Member Posts: 3
    To grantchstr:
    Mileage is low because we have three cars. I have always taken care of the car very well. Oil changes every 3k, etc. New Michelins in July and new brakes front and rear also in July.

Car is in NJ- highway and local driving, never offroad. Condition very, very good for its age- no body damage, all original paint. I get comlpliments on it all the time. Some rust on running boards and tow hitch, but none on body. Some wear on leather, but nothing major. Everything mechanical and electric is working fine.

Price- not sure yet! Checking Ebay and other sources, but I've been told I could get over $10,000. If anyone's interested, you can email me off this board at caigy@aol.com.

Thanks!
    Thanks Hank and specially Scifi for that knowledge.

So, what would you say is approx. change interval point? Yrs? or miles? or both?
    So the other day, I was involved in a debate with my friend over this topic “The purpose of a car battery?”. While it might sound like a silly topic, it ended up getting serious and involved a bet.

I said, “A battery is installed in a car for one purpose, to start the car (engine and alternator)”.

He says “A battery is installed in a car to Start the car and provide all the electric power needed throughout its idle state and running state”.

While I realize a battery is used to provide electric power to turn on light and accessories, I insisted that it is limited only when the car is NOT running. The debate is that I say the alternator runs everything when the car is running and the battery is only getting recharged at that point.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I ended up demonstrating to him by unplugging both battery cables from my TLC and shoed him that the car continues to run. Did I damage the alternator in any way?!!?
    You might harm the ECM and other components as the battery acts as a filter for the system. I doubt you will harm the alternator, but I'm not sure. Anyway, don't do it again :).

See the car battery faql by Bill Darden:
    http://uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    Good idea? Maybe not. 100 model, 2001. Went for the emergency blinkers but hit the center diff button by mistake. Noticed it about 2 minutes later. I was at a low speed but basically had the wheel almost all the way over in a turn. So much so that the vehicle stopped.

Short term, long term damage?

Don't worry about it? Thanks.
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Just wearing on the tires and flexing the axles a bit, but no damage. It can take that with no problems.

IdahoDoug
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Removing the cables while the vehicle is running is the absolute worst thing you can do to an alternator. It's called a load dump and if you didn't blow the rectifier plate, consider yourself lucky and don't do it again. It's likely that either in the alternator, or in the harness, a free-wheeling diode will absorb the voltage spike caused by the collapsing field in the alternator. A vehicle can run without the alternator until the battery gets too low to supply power to the efi, etc..., but to disconnect the battery cable while the vehicle is running is a bad idea.
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    After the Center Diff incident, my vehicle wants to pull to the left but this might be unrelated or just my imagination.
    joeblow and mobiweld. .

I will not do it again ;-) I hope my TLC is not hurt in any way!!

BUT. . .can we conclude the following. . “After the battery STARTS the car, the alternator is the primary and main electric supply and the battery is just getting recharged”.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I just put a set of P275 70 16 114H Michelin LTX M/S tires on my Tahoe. I think the 199?-2001 Toyota LC comes stock with this exact tire.

Can someone please confirm - and if it is the same tire what PSI does Toyota recommend.
    Most LCs do come with these tires, however, some come with Dunlops and Bridgestone. LC manual says 29 psi/f, 32 psi/r.

If this is the recommended tire size for your Tahoe, your manual/door sticker should provide the appropriate tire pressures.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Thank you for the information. I know this is a little off topic.

My Tahoe came with Firestone Wilderness LE 265 70 16 's - So I went up one size and also up about 10 notches in quality. Door sticker calls for 35 PSI - Some Tahoe's use 265 70 17 and they call for 26 PSI. I thought some where between 26 and 35 would be about right. Since the Tahoe weighs 4,900 VS LC 5,100 - I think I will be safe using the LC spec as a minimum and adjust up based on ride / handling.

The guy at Discount tire thought I should run 44PSI which is the max rating of the tire. Discount Tire may have great prices ($623.52 including 8.25% tax) but I don't trust their advise.

Thanks again.
  • garybsigarybsi Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any experience with the Bluetooth technology in the LC? We are considering the vehicle and were somewhat impressed with the "hands-free" bluetooth for using up to four different cell phones through the LC's system.
    All comments or re-directs to web pages would be appreciated.
    Also, what phones and cell systems allow using the technology?
    I know some that run the higher pressures (e.g. in the 40s) and they claim better mileage and tire longevity because of it. I'm running 35/38 on my 285-75-16 BFG AT KOs and am quite happy with those pressures. I typically get about 60K out of a set of BFGs, stock Mich's gave me about 28K.
    When I was getting the "delivery run through" with my 04 LC, the salesman had a blue tooth phone and showed me how it works.

Setup took about 3 mins. After that, any time you are in the car with that phone, the integration magic happens.

I did make a call, I pushed the "off hook" button on the steering wheel. A screen appeared on the Nav that allows for phone book, and just pressing in a number, which is what I did. The number dialed, I was connected and just talked and listened. The mic is overhead, the speakers are the stereo, but seem to be more balanced for the driver.

It was TOO COOL. Can't wait to get a blue tooth phone. I think this is purely a function of the phone and not the carrier, although that is just my opinion. His phone was a sony.

Good Luck. Bob.
  • eddie03eddie03 Member Posts: 1
    I was hoping I could get some feedback from toyota landcruiser owners. I am considering buying a used LC anywhere from 1991 to 1995. My main concern is that it be reliable and low maintenance (not in the shop every other month). Also, how many miles is too many on these SUVs? Would you recommend the vehicle or not really?
    No easy answer to this question as there are many variables involved. First and foremost (IMO) is the maintenance record of the vehicle the dealer or the PO. If it's been well maintained, all parts replaced when needed etc, you can feel pretty confident that you will get more use and fun from the vehicle. Of course no matter how good the vehicle is, it's just a fact that as it gets older it will undoubtedly require component replacement and maybe major repairs. Start looking and get a feel for what's out there and what you want to pay. And be patient. There are lots of 80s out there, so I'm sure you can find one that will be just right for you.

Good luck!
  • rph74rph74 Member Posts: 14
    My 99 TLC is somewhat hard to start when cold. I turn the key, and the starter makes one turn, and then no more. I do this over and over about 5 times, then finally the starter turns the proper number of times to start the car (let's say six turns). When it is warm it starts the first time, no problem. Is it for sure the starter, or could it be something else?
  • trout14trout14 Member Posts: 19
    I am moving to the Denver area from Chicago next week, and am wondering if there is anything I need to do special before driving out. Premium gas here is 93 octane and out in Colorado 89, will I see a performance difference? About 54000 miles on a '99. Thanks for any thoughts.
  • hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    trout14-
    When I bought my 99 TLC from Phoenix, they had driven it back and forth from Denver to Arizona and used regular unleaded most of the time (85-86 octane). With 116,000 miles when I bought it, the only time I noticed a problem is when I was doing some pulling and heard some pings under a full load. Since then, and after 120,000 mile service, including plug change, I have been using premium fuel (90 octane in New Mexico). I haven't noticed a difference. I also haven't done any more pulling (stumps).
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Have the battery load-tested and check for corrosion or a bad connection on the starter terminals. Also, make sure the cable between the battery and the starter hasn't gone bad.
  • 03cobra03cobra Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know if its possible to add a rear screen/monitor to a 01 LC w/nav? As you all know the dvd does not play when the vehicle is moving, but is there a system/monitor that can be hooked up so it will play on a separate monitor.