Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    firemousefiremouse Member Posts: 19
    I live in Denver.

Not sure where you got 89 but we have 91 Octane throughout the area.

The one thing I do recommend that you do is invest in some sort of a front mask, either the Clear mask (X-Pel or 3M), or the leather ones, but mainly. . cover the front bumper and mirrors.. Here in Denver most cars and trucks get abused by the pebbles the states uses to clear ice and snow on the roads. It is destructive to the front area of the vehicle. In addition, expect a cracked windshield due to that same problem (not much you can do for that one).

Other than that, be prepared to discover the true capabilities of the TLC when you drive up the Rockies for skiing or R&R.
  • Options
    trout14trout14 Member Posts: 19
    I for some reason thought that at a couple of gas stations they had 85, 87, and 89. Maybe that was somewhere along the way, in between Illinois and Colorado. Thanks for the advice on the front mask, any recomendation as to the best place to find one? Can't wait to explore colorados back roads and mountain areas. Spent 6 years in Chicago area after living in Montana for years, with skiing and mountain biking, and everything else outdoors. Ahhh, the mountains again.
  • Options
    You’re welcome.

As for the front mask. I opted to go for the Colgan Custom ‘Carbon Fiber’ material for the mirrors and front hood/bumper, which I bought from http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/store/start

While the clear mask is the most common material used due to its aesthetic appeal, I just didn’t think it would look ideal on my used 99’ TLC. Clear masks, at least in my opinion, are best applied to a brand new vehicle.

Yes, the mountains. . Nothing like driving through the continental divide with a V8 while all other SUVs are trying hard to keep up (it’s a steep climb).

BTW, I also do recommend a K&N filter since thin-air (due to one mile elevation) is a challenge for all cars grasping for air.
  • Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I bought a Fj80 - 1991 version when it first came out and I bought it specifically due to the low maintenance required for a four wheel drive. In comparison a Land Rover would be costing me $4,000+ a year in maintanance and a friend with a Tahoe put in three transmissions in six months. Overall I have had very little cost compared to any other car I have owned. The front birfield/steering knuckles had to be repacked around 80,000 and I just put in a new alternator at 105,000. Overall for a 13 year old car its been OK, a bit heavy on front brakes.
  • Options
    rph74rph74 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know where the starter on the 99 TLC is? I tried following the battery cable, and it looks like it may be behind the engine, above the tranny area. Pretty tough place to get to on this beast! I'm thinking my starter connection may be bad.
  • Options
    I just put the new spare tire on in place of one that I was told could not be fixed properly, due to the position of the nail in it. Kinda in the sidewall area. Is it bad to drive it like this? Three tires with 50000 miles and one brand new one. I was thinking of replacing with bridgstone revos anyway.

Thanks
  • Options
    steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    IMHO considering the mileage on the other three tires, switching out all four (or five) now is preferable to running one new one and three worn ones.

Your new tire has a larger circumfernce than the the older ones--may be an inch or more (?) difference.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Running one new tire and 3 with 50K will not do any damage - Even if all four tires are the same - every time you turn a corner your tires rotate at different speeds. Your truck was designed to handle the variation.

But even so it may be a good time to replace your tires. How many more miles are left before they need to be replaced anyway?
  • Options
    e9999e9999 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all, just joined the forum, but read some before. Good folks here and interesting discussions.

A quick couple of questions about the Nav system for the 100 series if I may:

Can this thing be updated software wise, such as downloading maps etc from a disk pr from the web?

Is this automatically touchscreen for the A/C etc as well?

How does this work for you altogether? To avoid, OK, or great?

thanks

Eric
  • Options
    stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    1. The software is on a DVD that can be updated. A quote from a previous post on this forum: "Currently the MSRP of the update DVDs is $489.22 and that is for any Toyota with the DVD Navigational system, such as Landcruiser, Prius, and Camrys. It's Part Number 86807-12010. I obtained actual dealer cost of $343 and pricing of $369"
    2. The touchscreen controls the Nav system, climate control, and audio system.
    3. I've only had my 2002 with Nav for two months, but so far I like it. Whether it is worth the extra $ or not depends on how much you travel to unfamiliar areas. It is nice to always know the direction you are driving and what streets and roads are coming up, even if you don't take the time to program your destination and use the voice directions.
  • Options
    e9999e9999 Member Posts: 18
    Hi Steward:
    thanks.
    Couple more questions:
    - do you have to go through the touchscreen system to do simple things like change the temp of the A/C or fiddle with the radio? Or can you use the few buttons and knobs still there?
    - is the system convenient to use while driving for basic tasks or is it wading through menus better done while stopped?
    - can the system give you basic positioning info like coordinates, compass direction, speed, retrace your route (as in the woods) etc?
    thanks
    Eric
  • Options
    stewardrobbinsstewardrobbins Member Posts: 41
    There are buttons to change the temperature, route air to the windshield, turn the fan off, select outside or recirculated air. The screen is used to select the fan speed and air flow.

A knob is used to turn on the audio system and adjust the volume. Another knob tunes radio frequency. Buttons select the audio input, CD disc, or tape side, and seek a station or select a track. The screen is used to select a station, adjust the sound and choose repeat, random play, etc. for the CD changer.

The system always shows direction and it's easy to bookmark postitions to retrace a route. There is a time to destination feature, but you have to set an average speed.

The basic functions are easy to access while driving. The system is pretty intuitive and user friendly. More complex functions such as destination programming can only be done when the truck is stopped. All in all, the system is quite functional, but there are some gaps in the 2001 DVD that I currently have. Hopefully, the 2004 version will address these shortcomings. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Found mine invaluable on recent 6,000 mile cross country trip. Really a big help in re-routing around traffic tie ups for contrstuction etc along I-40 et al. The POI funciton is great in unfamiliar areas.
  • Options
    himcdonoughhimcdonough Member Posts: 4
    Great posts in this board. I'm trying to diagnose a frustrating driveline thump in my 99 LC w/ 60k miles. It typically occurs as the rear end settles after braking or in any situation where the rear settles from a high position as opposed to the rear squatting under weight or compression from a bump. The local dealer says that it is a function of the slip yoke in the drive line found on LCs being packed with too much grease. The grease was drained and the problem went away but quickly returned so I'm unsure that's it. It feels as if slack it being taken up and creating the thump. Any help is appreciated. I'm not looking forward to another trip to the dealer. Thanks.
  • Options
    idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Trout,

It would be useful to know what vehicle you're talking about as some ARE damaged with different tire sizes.

Thump,

See my reply to your crosspost on the 'Toyota 4WD systems' thread.

IdahoDoug
  • Options
    jocigarjocigar Member Posts: 26
    help me decide on the better value; should I get a new 04 sequoia ($41k) or go for a used 00 land crusier for ($30k) with 50k miles.

I currently own a 91 crusier that has been trouble free for 150k miles.
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    If you have had good experience with Land Cruisers in the past, then buying the LC would be the way to go. The Sequoia is a different beast and suited more for onroad driving whereas LC is more versatile and has a character of its own. I am sure you can pick up a 99 or later model for well under 30K .. perhaps as low as 24-25K.
  • Options
    coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    I am curious to know if anyone here has taken the road trip to Alaska on their 93 model year to current Land Cruiser ? I have always wanted to take this trip but have not found the time for it as yet. If you have taken this trip, could you state the road conditions and ability of this truck to hold its ground ? Did you need lockers to drive on paved and unpaved roads or 4Lo was just enough to get you out ? I am not looking to do serious off-roading but just don't want to get stuck without the lockers.

Thoughts ?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, I've driven the road (and various gravel access roads) to and from Alaska 6 or 8 times since 1973. First trip was in a VW bug, many were in a minivan, most recent trip was last April from Anchorage to Boise in a '97 Outback.

I think that the biggest problem you're going to have with a Land Cruiser is convincing yourself not to take off across the tundra :-)

Get a Milepost for lots of info.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    ...is all paved now except for portions needing repair. I've done it 11 times in Toyota Corollas (back when it was nearly all mud) and trucks, Tauruses (Tauri?) and a '65 Econoline. No worries.

Be prepared for some nasty cold... it can hit -60F or worse around Whitehorse.

Near Fort Nelson used to be the longest break between gas stations, but a full tank got me thru. I imagine it's even better now.

Enjoy your drive! And make sure to plan plenty of time and don't let yourself get in a hurry. It's worth it to detour through Fairbanks and North Pole on the way to Anchortown.

-Bob
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Ok, seen a few posts here about this new bluetooth technology. Is this standard with the NAV system, or do you have to order it separately on the '04's? Also, what type of phones are available? Where can I find out?
  • Options
    What am I giving up by shopping for a 99 vs earlier models?

I read something on traction controll, but is that worth the 5k extra price tag.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Ok, seen a few posts here about this new bluetooth technology. Is this standard with the NAV system, or do you have to order it separately on the '04's? Also, what type of phones are available? Where can I find out?
  • Options
    caidwcaidw Member Posts: 18
    Jocigar,
    Last November, we faced the same question, with the same amount of money, buy new Sequoia (SR5) or used Landcruiser (both around $36K). We got certified 2000 Landcruiser with 30K miles. Reasons for Landcruiser, better looking, right size (not too big) and best of all, handling or road feeling. Test drive both and you will know what I am talking about. Good luck.
    Caidw
  • Options
    Vehicle is a '99 TLC, 3, probably original tires, though they look like they have another year of tread at least. 4th tire is new spare. Can this cause any damage? Thanks.
  • Options
    thanks for your reply, I wanted the land cruiser but I was not sure how the sequoia felt in comparison. Also, with two kids the extra space might be needed.

I see your point, if I get a certified model then I am in good shape up to 100k miles, right? which is longer coverage than a new sequoia.

I was just wondering what they skimp on to get the sequoia price down if anything :-)
  • Options
    I, too, was considering both the Land Cruiser and the Sequoia. Two kids, large dog. I don't know if they skimped on the Sequioa to get the price down- I think they more likely stocked the Land Cruiser to ramp the price up. Sitting in the two vehicles back to back, there's really not a comparison in my mind. The Sequioa is a very nice vehicle- huge, handles nicely for its size, etc. But it's not "luxury". Now, for ballpark 40k for a well stocked one, I want to feel the luxury. IMO, it's more like a standard Toyota interior. Don't get me wrong- nothing wrong with that. But it's not "luxury" to me.

With the LC, you feel as if you are being pampered. Most in my area have the NAV, and small little features like the look and feel of the interior materials just feels higher end.

As far as build quality and the such- well, others on this board have more knowledge about that than I do. But the LC just feels better to me.

Another problem I had with the Sequioa is that even though it is much larger, for my purposes it didn't make much of a difference. There is no easy way to get to the third seat if you have two car seats in the second row. I guess I would end up taking the 3rd row totally out, but that defeats part of the purpose of the convenience of that row.
  • Options
    I also faced the same dilemma a few months ago. A Sequoia or TLC. I ended up with a 99 TLC, which was a very wise choice if I may add.

My qualms about the Sequoia were

I truly did not like the interior layout of the Sequoia at all. Like someone stated in a previous post, if/when I pay that much money, I do expect refined luxury, not just play pretend. Also, and the worst part for me, was the transmission shifter on the sequoia. What’s up with that? Having it by the steering wheel was just very un-classy!!
  • Options
    great! I am sold.

So what is the better deal:

1999 tlc for 25k

2000 tlc for 30k

2000 tlc for 37k with certified 100k

what is the factory warranty on these? 4/50k? more on lexus?

Also, is the lx470 just as good if I can get the same price.

Thanks once again
  • Options
    I truly depends on how much you’re ‘Comfortable’ spending.

The TLC is the same for the most part whether a 99 or 2000. The difference in the 2000 is the added VSC or Traction (can’t remember now).

If you can get the 99’ with the Rear Locking Option, it’s a higher resale in the future. just as a thought since they don’t offer that option 2000 onwards (I hope I’m right on this one).

The main added feature on the LX is the suspension package. Again, more headaches to deal with—not for me.

Go with the 99 and spend the difference on good tires ::-))
  • Options
    TLC is unique, purpose built vehicle. Still made in Japan. Seq is built on Tundra frame. LC frame is an LC frame, not some other vehicles.

Traction control, started with the 2000 model year. Rear locker was an option, not standard feature, on '98/'99 models. The TC system works with the ABS to maximize traction. In theory, with traction to only one wheel, you can get out of a "stuck'. note: various combinations of Lo range and center diff locking will affect both ABS and VSC.

Having owned LCs for quite a few years, once you have one, you'll always want to have one. No matter what else you have in your garage.

As to your choice. I might be more interested in the 2000 (non certified) try to negotiate a lower price. Just my .02

As noted, perhaps the most noticeable difference on the LX is the adjustable height control and shock absorbers.

LC warranty is 3/36, LX is 4/48 or 50 I believe. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, there's plenty of maintenance you can do yourself.
  • Options
    Hmm. I'm not as familiar with the 100 series (started in '98 here in the US). Perhaps someone who is - SteelCruiser??

I know different size tires will knock a notable MPG amount off, and create more system wear no matter what. But this model may be able to handle it long term.

IdahoDoug
  • Options
    thanks for sharing the knowledge and opinion. I am a good house mechanic, so I guess I can save on the added cost of a certified car.

Ok, Jeep dealer down the road has a very clean 00 with 54k miles. asking 31,900. It is gray, not my color preference but in new shape in and out. no special options; dual air bags, running boards, tow.

Think it's a good deal if I can get them down to 29-30K ? or keep looking for the color I want (black or silver). I think that at 29-30k I can overlook the color since it is near by and in great shape.

thanks
  • Options
    fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    The '00 on models have a 4 pinion front diff (stronger).

Also, do not forget that all Toyota's have a 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty which covers all major mechanical pieces, engine, diffs, tranny, etc.

I was out climbing a hill in my '99 LC and the front diff snapped, Toyota replaced it for free at 58k miles.

I would choose a '99 with rear ac and rear diff lock over the '00 models. If it is going to be an onroad cruier mostly, choose the traction control for added stability. Supposedly Toyota added this to help with the moose test (quick swerve at higher speeds) to maintain stability.

Sequioa vs LC

The interior in the LC seems to be made from better quality materials.

Sequioa is to big. LC is just right.

Have fun.

fj100
  • Options
    curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    has anyone ever use the magnet thingy that attaches onto the oil filter. Its supposed to(the magnet) catch all the small metal particles. If anyone has...let me know how it is and if i should get it. thanks
  • Options
    If metal particles are getting through your filter, then you've got filter problems. The filter will stop particles down to a size that's not significant for bearings if you're using quality filters and changing them properly. I'd imagine few people who use the magnet thing on the outside of a filter bother to cut it open and find.....nothing. Other than the first oil filter that has breakin particles in it, that thing would be worthless.

Though I hear it aligns the oil particles better so they flow through bearings easier....;-)

IdahoDoug
  • Options
    hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    FJ100-
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of hill was it, or what conditions caused your front differential to snap? I was wondering what not to do with my LC. Was this with the larger than stock tires or factory size? Do you know what it would have cost had it not been under warranty?
  • Options
    hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    Idahodoug-
    Have you seen the other product, I think it's called a Fuelmaster, that you clamp around your fuel line to change the alignment of particles to improve fuel economy (theoretically)? I have an uncle trying to sell these things, and have seen them in Cabela's, but am very skeptical.
  • Options
    As to tires and Idaho Doug's comments. IMHO, and what I usually try to do, is go with known companies when making modifications. As to LCs, there's an Austrailian company that has been providing suspension components for LCs (and other 4x4s) for many years, under the name of Old Man Emu. Most LC owners that I know who want to lift their vehicles use OME components because they perform well and are well matched to the LC. Likewise, these same people that do a lift may also do a "plus one" tire change--going to 285/75-16 from stock 275/70-16 stock tires. As Doug has noted, you can expect to give up some mileage. In my case, on two LCs that I lifted and put larger tires on, I lost about 1mpg. I didn't experience any abnormal wear on other components with (OME & 285 tires) these changes. (Had 150K+ miles on my '94 80 series when I sold it).

Now there are those who go for more lift and still larger tires, but there seems to be a need (for them) to do additional component changes in order to support these modifications.

I guess the point I'm trying to make thru all of this rambling, is that if you go with components and tires that most people know and use, your chances of messing something up are minimal, especially compared to doing something more radical and using "one off" components.

Also, everything has a limit. Even something as well built and strong as a LC will break if pushed beyond its limits. Granted the limits of a LC are probably much higher than those of a lesser vehicle. That's why we love 'em!
  • Options
    Not sure where you live, but $31.9K seems high for a '99. I live near, not in, LA and check the used prices frequently.

You may have noticed that you don't see many ads for LCs--new or used. I only recall seeing ads in the classifieds for new ones being discounted ala Sequoias et al maybe once every other year or so and that's for just one or maybe two among all of the dealers within the So Cal area. And used ones only seem to be listed for one weekend. LA is a big area and there are lots of LCs in it, so that gives you a hint of their reputation and the demand for them. Used ones seem to get snapped up pretty quickly.

FWIW, in today's LA Times there were only 6 used LCs adverstised--2 '99s though. $28,995 asking price for one, $26.9 for the other. No mileage details were provided. If the one you're looking at is as clean as you say, seems that something in the neighborhood of $27K-would be an upper limit to shoot for. Below that might be a "bargain"?

Hopefully, it has a complete history so that you can get a feel for the maintenance it's had.

HTH
  • Options
    jackieboy1955jackieboy1955 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 2000 tlc this week, "toyota certified"), 29,250 miles...enthusiasm on this board helped persuade me...thanks to all who take the time to post...a few questions if I may...

1) Thoughts as to whether I should purchase Toyota "Platinum" warranty coverage...to 6 years, 100,000 miles, cost of $974...presently, vehicle is past the 3 year/36,000 miles...limited warranty runs to April 06;

2) My previous vehicle had Thule carrying system (bikes, skis, kayaks)...suggestions for this vehicle (which does have roof rack)? Toyota product(s)? Thule? other? Where to locate at competitive price? Particular model numbers were I to look on ebay?

3) Paid $34,600...fair or not...go ahead, I can take bad news if warranted;

4) Future service: Toyota dealer or unaffiliated local mechanic?

Again, many thanks...Jackieboy1955
  • Options
    First-congratulations on your LC. It shouldn't take too long before you're hooked on LCs.

My .02 on your questions:

1. Extended warranty. I've never gotten one on any of my LCs, but do know others that have. One reason for buying an LC is it's solid build quality and reliability. I know you'll get some more inputs on this point, so see what others say and then decide.

2. Roof racks etc. You might check Man-A-Fre and get some ideas of other racks available, then check out a site like http://bizrate.com/ which allows you to search by product for best prices. As above, I'm sure you'll have other posters on here that will provide you with some tips.

3. Price. From what you say, sounds like you got a nice, low mileage vehicle--and it's certified. So enjoy!

4. My own preference is dealer service for what I can't do myself. Over the years I've developed good rapport with Service Managers, Service Writers, Parts Mangers and Techs at all of the dealerships in my area. I tend to use whichever one will do what I don't want to do myself for the lowest price. I think that you have a bit more recourse, should you have any problems, when you use Toyota service rather than an independent.

HTH
  • Options
    fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    Hank 14,

The hill was very steep and deeply rutted and I was having to go very slow so the rear qtr panel would not get smashed. I had some wheel spin in 1st gear low range and I was just trying to go up the hill gently, nothing crazy. I am running 285/75 R 16 bfg at's. Note - I do not have the rear diff lock option, if I did I am almost certain the front would have not been that stressed. I have heard stories from australia of the front diff being weak on the new cruisers. The part was $3k. That would have sucked if they would not have covered it
  • Options
    bryan28bryan28 Member Posts: 59
    Congrats on the LC. I bought a 99 LC about a year ago and did buy the extended warranty for about $850. It was one of my weak moments but my thinking was that mechanically the truck wouldn't need much but all of the electronics like the computer, windows, sunroof, etc.. might not hold up for one reason or another and the cost of repair would well exceed for some of the systems.

I bought the Yacama(sp) roof cage and planning on buying more yacama stuff. I bought from Sports Rack during a sale. I think they have a web page, real knowledgeable staff and they sell every brand.

I paid $30,500 for 55k mile cirt. so I think you paid a fair price. Some of the low priced ones would scare the crap out of me unless your neighbor was selling it to you.

I also get my service done at the dealer for all the same reasons Steelcruiser stated.
  • Options
    vtdocvtdoc Member Posts: 10
    I was offered 31K for my 02(53,000 miles) that is loaded. The 04 was offered to me at 55,000 what do you think about the deal
  • Options
    #1 you can get more for your '02 in the retail market (i'm assuming you mean a dealer offered you the 31k)

#2 Why even contemplate such a deal?!?!
  • Options
    Sounds like a sweet deal for the dealer. As firemouse notes, you should be able to get more than that for your '02. Also, this is the last year for the current model LC. If there won't be any more LCs brought in to the US, as some have speculated, then you might want to really get after an '04.

I don't have any hard facts, just lots of rumors, some speculation and my opinion. I think we'll see the next generation LC here, though it may be sold thru Lexus. So unless you really want to get an '04 now, why not hang tight a bit and see what's coming in the next few months?

Rumor mills about the next LC have been pretty quiet lately. With all of the fuss over mileage etc., Toy/Lexus might have gone back and "re-tweaked" some things? Might see a little longer run for the '04?
  • Options
    dimplevdimplev Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed a satellite radio to their LC? I have 01 with with Nav and 6 disc DVD changer.
  • Options
    vtdocvtdoc Member Posts: 10
    i had CC install one in my 02 and it's great...I never listen to FM anymore
  • Options
    zinny2zinny2 Member Posts: 46
    I have negotiated a new 2004 Landcruiser for $54K. However, they also have a 2003 Demo with the same options AND the rear entertainment system and will sell it to me for $49K. I am torn. Any thoughts??

Will