Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• I am another person with blistering bass problems in a 2001 Land Cruiser. I test drove a 2000 with the stereo on....no problem. I drove a Sequoia for almost three weeks. The Sequoia has what appears to be the same 6 disc AM/FM cassette deck as the TLC. THERE IS NO BLISTERING BASS PROBLEM IN THE SEQUOIA. I therefore assumed that the stereo in the 2001 would be the same. In retrospect as it has been said: "to assume is to blunder". I blundered. For the past week I have been going around and around with Toyota. The service manager at my dealer immediately recognized that there is a problem. Toyota at first seemed to be playing dumb about the subject. After pestering them for the past week, I have been informed by the customer service manager at my dealership that Toyota does in fact recognize that there is a bass problem in 2001 TLCs. They are working with the manufacturer of the stereo for a fix. The fix is supposedly two months away. Word about this has not filtered down to the dealership level as yet. Until the blistering bass problem is resolved by the manufacturer....boom on, my friends. (or fade out the front speakers)
  • Thank you to all discussing the stereo issue. I was all set to put my money down for the 2001 TLC, until I read your warnings. When I test drove the truck we only listened to the stereo loud and fairly briefly, focusing my attention on the sound of the truck.

I just came from checking the issue out for myself and sure enough it is PROBLEM. With the engine off the volume control works normally. But, with the engine on, the volume control will not reduce the bass after a certain point. One notch above zero, you can not hear anything, except a loud bass thump, thump. So much for listening to anything soft.

I am going to wait for the fix, assuming it is coming. Or . . . ?? Again, thanks for the heads up.

Smitty
  • Truckdigger alleges that there's a couple of you out there with 2001 TLC's WITHOUT the stereo problem. If so, can you post again - possibly with the last 6 digits of your VIN?

(Personally, I don't recall seeing a post on the 2001 WITHOUT the problem - hence my assertion that there is a strong lillihood that ALL 2001's are effected.)
  • You say you have an 95 Fj80.
    My understanding is that 95's were Fj100s and that the Fj80 was phased out in 1992.
    Anyone clarify?
  • tbevertbever Posts: 39
    Although I have not testdriven a LC specifically to listen for the booming bass problem, I have noticed a similar sounding situation in my new 2001 Sequoia with 6 dash changer (Limited). There does not seem to be a problem with the engine turned off, but as soon as it is on the bass is highly accentuated to the point where I have it turned to -3 or -4. With the bass cranked way down it is not bad, but I would have expected better. This sounds similar to the LC problem but I am not sure if this is the same system. I disagree with post #261 and I think this is a potential problem with the Sequoia also.
  • fj100fj100 Posts: 97
    FJ80 - Was fromm'91 to '92, Inline 6, 155 hp
    FZJ80 - Was from '93 to '97, Inline 6, 24valve, 212 hp
    FJ100 - '98 to Present, V8, Completely redesigned.

I use to have a '95 FZJ80. I currently have a FJ100.
    I have a '99 LC with rear climate control. After driving to work this morning I was checking the rear climate control and how it worked. Here is the issue, even with the temperature control slid all the way over to the hottest position, the system would not blow hot air out of the roof ducts. When I selected the foot ducts, really hot air but when I selected either roof only or roof and feet, the roof ducts would only blow cold air. This does not seem right. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • fj100: Check your owners manual. I beleive the roof vents will only blow AC. I believe Toyota thought it unwise to send hot air out of the top vents to warm passengers below given that hot air rises.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I think Kurtl100 is correct but there is another issue as well. The ducts in the roof are not well insulated from the elements up there. They are less than an inch from the roof and this would keep the air very cool in cold weather. This is also why, in the summer, you get warm air until you start to drive.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,159
    Gee, makes me glad I don't have these gizmo's that can drive me nuts!
  • Anyone know what the FJ100 lower tailgate is made of? It appears to be either fiberglass or aluminum. On my FJ80 I have no qualms of standing on the tailgate to reach the roof rack but the FJ100 seems very delicate. Thanks!
  • Is a landcruiser with 100,000 miles worth $13,900 if in excellent shape and well equipped?

Thanx
    Steve
  • zuma13zuma13 Posts: 35
    Having the identical stereo problem occasioned by ALL 2001 TLC owners, I decided to take matters into my own hands and have a stereo expert look at the system and attempt a "fix". Equipped with an audio system schematic I went to the stereo shop and proceeded to explain the offending symptoms.

After explaining the problem I turned on the ignition and radio first with the engine not running and then with the engine running. The techician was of the opinion that there was a definite problem and design defect. He found it most curious that the low frequency "booming" had no adjustment other than fading toward the rear speakers.

After examining the system first hand and analyzing the audio schematic, he concluded that the problem cannot be addressed mechanically. The entire system is integrated and controlled through the vehicles ECU (primary on board computer).

There is no way to by-pass the problem or adjust it without reprogramming the computer. Which I was advised by Toyota. The mischief was actually programmed by the Toyota and JBL technicians and could only be reprogrammed by them.

My question is. Why not a more timely fix? I cannot imagine Toyota is unaware of the problem and therefore not have in the "wings" a procedure to repair or fix this obvious flaw.

I now intend to commence a four time dealer visit with the problem. The law in California is quite specific. If the problem cannot be fixed after four attempts, the vehicle qualifies as a "lemon" within the purview of the California "Lemon Law".

At this time I don't want a new vehicle or my money back. I really enjoy this vehicle but for the audio problems. However, if a fix isn't offered in a reasonable time frame, I will pursue a legal remedy.
  • You won't like to read this, but the uzj100 tailgate is much stronger than the 80 series tailgate due to its laminate construction. I would not stand in the middle of the 80 series tailgate as it will eventually bow outward in the middle. It's nothing like the 60 series tank-like tailgate. Go ahead and stand on the 100 tailgate.
  • Did you ever get it in writing from Toyota, that they acknowledge the fact that the system is broken? I have had problems convincing Toyota that this is not functioning correctly. I think a lot of us here has had similar problem...so if you have a written letter of any sort, could you scan it in and post it? The problem we seem to have is that when individuals go to the dealers or call the hotline they tell us it's all in our head and no one else has this problem. If we all have some kinda proof in hand that this is a problem, we might be able to push them a little harder together.
  • Hello all, I've been driving my new 2001 TLC for a few weeks now including 12" of snow yesterday. (Milwaukee, WI) I'm ready to review. The TLC replaced a 1994 Ford Probe so there is no practical comparison. The SUVs I've driven most are a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1999 Chevy Blazer. The TLC easily outclasses either of those vehicles. The ride is smooth and quieter than my wife's 1999 Nissan Maxima. Acceleration is excellent for the size. Despite the huge difference in size the TLC is easy to maneuver and seems to have a very tight turning radius for its length.

Its taken me to Chicago twice now and was very comfortable in heavy expressway traffic. Performance on the snow was excellent. Only jack-rabbit starts activated the active trac and acceleration was strong and smooth even in 6-8 inches of snow. While pushing through turns the skid compensation activated twice. (with a furiously flashing red indicator and loud alarm beep!!) The truck fishtailed minimally each time then resumed the desired curve.

The final fun was a 60 foot run up my sloping driveway covered with 16-36" drifts. (up to the headlights!) Man what fun! It ground right through with out hesitation. It was so much fun I turned around and ran up and down a few more times.

Now the problems. Not many.

Stopping distance seemed long compared to other SUVs I've played with in the snow. The ABS prevented skids but the size of the TLC leads to much longer stopping distances that the smaller Jeep with out ABS.

The stereo sucks. Man does it suck. (JBL 6-disk, no Nav system). When I test drove it sounded a little boomy but we were concentrating on other things and had the volume way down. Even with the bass at -5 the low end distorts to a loud, one-note, thump. The problem almost disappears with the engine off.

Reading here I see I'm not alone in my dismay at the stereo. The pattern seems to be they tell potential buyers that a fix is on the way and tell paid customers that it is not a problem. I'm guessing that it is a very difficult fix or it would be done.

Lawyers are good attack dogs but they can buy lots of lawyers of their own. I think that the press might be a more effective influence. If we don't get a fix we should write auto reviewers for newspapers, magazines and webpages and ask them to comment on the TLC stereo issue. Most big companies survive the financial burden of lawsuits easily. They are less likely to shake off bad press.
    Your post is exactly what I have been looking for here. I want to ask a few questions about your uphill drive through snow. Did you have the center differential locked? If not, did the TRACS system activate? If it did, was it just the brakes or did it slow the engine as well?

The reason I am asking is because of a debate on the Sequoia topic related to these issues. The Sequoia 4WD system is identical to the post 2000 LC with the exception that the Sequoia can go into 2WD as well.

Thanks for the review.
  • Thanks for the review and can you post some information regarding how much you paid for your LC ??
  • joeeblow1

Thank you for the insight. Compared to my 91 FJ80, the tailgate on the 100 feels very light. Is the laminate fiberglass?
  • Unlike some other owners, we need good 4WD for the deep sand in Hatteras, NC. Cliffy, I read your earlier posts on the 2001 4WD -- can the LC handle deep sand (i.e., does the Active Trac really act like a virtual lock on the rear diff?)

If the LC can handle the Hatteras sands, I'm ready to buy it.

BUT... what's your position on the JBL Stereo problem? I'm not going to tolerate any Toyota BS for a $55,000+ vehicle. Is your dealership willing to agree in writing that the JBL defect will be repaired free of charge once a fix is found?

Incidentally, I looked at your dealership web page at Stock #NN31573. What's the FE Option?

Look forward to your response. I'm in Alexandria, so I'm thinking of getting the LC by end of year. Thanks.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,159
    Ah, the fun of closed architecture! Looks like Toyota and JBL shot themselves in the foot with this one. I have never liked any of the stereo products that TLC's have come with. I just see the provided stereo as a compromise made to get the best 4WD on the consumer's planet.
    I know you are asking about a '01 but I have a '99 LC and I was in Hatteras this past November. The LC performed in the sand with no problems what so ever, I was even making very tight turns on purpose and the LC could not be stopped. I even let a buddy of mine (who owns a Chevy) drive and he was trying his hardest to get the LC stuck and couldn't. At one point I turned directly across the deep ruts and slowed to stop then tried to go and it went right across. The V8 and all that torque just kept going. We were running the tires at 18 psi.

Then at the end of the weekend another guy needed to ride back with us, there 4 guys with gear, sleeping bags, luggage, tackle boxes, waders and the LC swallowed all that equipment ease.

I run a rear trailer hitch hauler from Cabela's and made some homemade pvc rod holders for the sides.

I hope the '01 works as well. Hatteras is great place to test a vehicle.
  • FJ100, thanks for the update. Do you lock the center and rear diffs at Hatteras? My only concern with the '01 (regarding Hatteras) is Toyota replacing the rear diff lock with its traction control computer.

(Don't want to get stuck at the narrows near the point!)

Thanks.
    We ran with the center diff locked. Never went into low range or locked the rear diff.

The '01 should be able to determine the amount of slip at each wheel and compensate. The system should not even allow the wheels to spin which is perfect for sand and if you have to go to low range then the center diff is locked and you will crawl right out.

I would talk to the dealer or call Toyota help line and ask specifically about sand. I know you are laughing but that is a major concern and Toyota should be able to address it.
  • Cliffy, the center differential was unlocked, the 4wd was in high. Multiple shallow climbs and descents in deep to really deep snow were made at 5-10 mph. The active trac only activated if you really floored it otherwise it just pushed on without a problem. I found it easier to activate the active trac on snow packed streets accelerating away from intersections. Again this was only when you really floored it. The engine did not seem to slow at any point.

Grogman1, my TLC has the rear seat, the convenience package, wind deflectors for the hood sunroof and rear. Carpet mats and cargo net. Sticker was $59k, invoice estimate was ~$52k per Edmunds. They would not go lower that 54,500 but then went $2000 over bluebook on my trade.(That almost doubled the BB value of my beat up 94 Ford Probe with a cracked front fender.) Overall I probably paid a little over invoice and they likely pocketed a big holdback since it had not been on the lot long. It took about three hours of the usual, "You have to come down on the price", "I'll go check with my manager." song and dance. I bought at the end of the month during the "Sellathon" so the dealer was looking to build his sales numbers. I went in late and kept them afterhours with both my kids.

Overall it feels like a nice blend of cushy luxury car and capable 4wd truck. My only reservation is the stereo. God I hope Toyota or JBL find a fix!
  • Hi all. I've been test driving SUV for the past several weeks. I'm starting a new job and my new employer is buying me a car of my choice. Anyway, didn't mean to brag. I've test drove the TLC and at the end of the test drive, noticed a booming. Couldn't turn the damn thing off. Of course, the salesman didn't know anything about it. I though it might be my imagination, then I checked this discussion group Went back to the dealership and test drove TLC again, and this time the salesman acknowledged that there was a problem. He was going to offer me $500 over invoice, but I wasn't going to buy with that damn stereo. Great bargain though. I asked them if they could replace it with another radio, maybe the Mark/Levinsen, the same as the Lexus. They checked and Mark/Levinsen is specifically for Lexus. Couldn't live with that stereo. Now, I'm trying to bargain to get a good deal from Lexus. Those arrogant bastards feel like they are doing you a favor. I would go with another vehicle just to spite them but the TLC and LX are really sweet.
  • I am looking to buy a 97 LC and have debated whether or not to buy from the dealer or private party. First question, I think the 97 LC came with a transferable 100,000 mile/6 year drivetrain warranty. If this transfer form is no longer in the owner's manual, is it still possible to transfer the warranty? If so, how? Second question regards the purchase of an extended warranty (without getting into the issue of whether they are worth it). The dealer said I could purchase an extended warranty after the sale (probably at a higher cost)prior to the expiration of the warranty (whether this was the basic 6 yr/100k drivetrain warranty or the part of the certified vehicle warranty I don not know). Does this only apply to dealer sold LCs or could I buy my LC from a private party and go into my Toyota dealer and purchase an extended warranty? Thanks in advance for your help. Also, what kind of price should I expect to pay?
    The current 4WD system has only been around since the 2000 model year. There was speculation that the use of three open differentials with traction control may create a difficulty in certain situations. The theory runs like this. In snow and sand, it is necessary to gun the engine to keep up momentum. Wheels will spin. When wheels spin, the traction control computer takes over and engages the brakes and slows the engine. This robs you of the forward momentum you need. That is the theory.

A counter theory runs like this. The TRACS system monitors slip relative to the other wheels. If all wheels are slipping equally, the system will not slow your momentum.

This is why I asked about how it did uphill in snow. As much as I do know, I don't know how this system would deal with snow and sand. On the plus side, if you lock the center differential, the TRACS system is disconnected so you really don't have to worry about it. Sequoia owners on the other hand, have no such option.

I've stayed out of the stereo discussion. I have listened to them and they don't really bother me but I can understand why it bothers others. I hope a fix will be forthcoming.
  • Maxfield,

Thanks for the info.......interesting. I had similar experience, that is the dealer here reached a point where they would go no lower on the LC price, and then hinted at giving me a little extra money for my trade. Maybe I was too quick to hit the door, when I should have given them more time to kick the tires again and give it that second test drive.

BTW - great idea to bring the kids for the after hours party. Maybe that's what I should have done and I could have closed the deal.
  • You might try emailing Dianne and see what she could do for you. I'm not trying to push anyone on you, but for approximately what Maxfield paid...I also got Nav and wood dash...basically the only thing I didn't get from the list of options were the gold emblems, brush guard and the spare tire lock. My only bad experience in buying the new LC is calling local dealers with Dianne's offer and have them try to match it. Most of them just laughed really rudely and told me something to the equivalent of a "snowball's chance in hell"...one even came close to accusing me of lying to them.