Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Starting or Stalling Problems

Comments

• I have had a problem starting my Taurus when cold. It cranks but does not catch right away. It will start after a couple of attempts. It did it for about a week then it began working properly. That was about a month ago and it has now started becoming difficult to start again. No problem when ebgine is warm. It is the flex-fuel 3.0 V6. Thanks.
  • After only 114000 miles my '99 Sable transmission was acting up. Took it to Ford and they ran diagnostics which indicated a part inside the tranny needed replacing. Putting a warrentied rebuilt from Ford was only $400 more than fixing the old one so I went that route. Since I got the car back, the car doesn't start periodically. It acts as though the battery is dead. the clock resets to 12:00 as if the battery was disconnected. Cables are tight. The car starts immediately with a jump and then works perfect for a couple of weeks give or take and then it happens again. This has ONLY been happening since I got the car back from Ford 6-8 weeks ago and it has happened 3-4 times. Could Ford have done something to have caused this when they replaced the tranmission? If not, what could be the issue?
  • ok here is my question. just replaced spark plugs ,wires, fuel filter, air filter. and cam drive. It was having problems like this, rpm would excelerate and then decrease then car would die. started up fine except for a few times. Now it is stalling out at stop signs red lights or when I am stopped somewhere. RPMs only decrease and ignition light will come on then go off. I just spent over $800.00 and Iam afraid of getting screwed with stuff that is not wrong. if you can help please leave a message as soon as possible. Thank you
  • ynwiaynwia Posts: 1
    This is a 03 Ford Taurus SES Vulcan, 75K miles

Problems:

1. Car wont start. Turn on the key and only hear 1 click, NO cranking. Knocked the starter with a rod, cannot knock start either.

2. The doom light along with these 2 lights beneath door rearview mirrors wont turn off. Usually they will be off once the car is locked. Now, they just keep on.

Facts and thoughts:

I am not sure if this is a dead starter or some other electrical problems.

First, the wife cannot start and successfully jumped it up, which sounded to me like a dead battery. But, the battery turns out to be as good as new. Then it comes to the starter.

But can this kind of thing really happen, a dying starter tries to start once or twice before final death?

If so, what about the lights that just do not turn off?

Any info is much appreciated
  • I have a 97 Tarus GL with a 3.0 double overhead cam engine that has a starting problem. I can turn the ingition switch to start and the starter will engage and the car will not start untill a period of time has passed. This time period is temprature sensitive to ambiant air temprature. Above 70 degrees it only take a few seconds for the engine to start but at 35 degrees it takes several minutes, and the time varies with the temprature. Or I can turn the ignition switch to run and wait the same time and the check engine light will blink one time and the radiator fans will shut off. At that time I can turn the switch to start and the engine will start immedately. I have checked the fuel pump and it is good. The ignition will not fire or the injectors will not fire untill this time has expired. I changed the temprature sensor and the ECM, checked the crank position sensor, the cam shaft position sensor, and the transmission shift sensor.
    Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is.
  • Hi and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. My daughters 87 automatic Taurus stalls when she has to take her foot off the gas when she has to put it in park or in gear. Today however the car wouldnt start at all and we noticed a odd noise coming from a place behind the air filter(there looked to be a hose there and it seemed fine) We tried spraying starter fluid and it still couldnt turn over. The fuel filter was just replaced in November and she has put few miles on it sinse.The car does try to turn over and makes the appropiate noise to but thats as far as it gets. Any suggestions are very welcome and once again thank you!!
  • I have seen lots of questions about a car stalling when slowing down or speeding up, but my taurus is stalling out when maintaining speed. It sort of stutters, trying to stall. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it keeps going. We changed the fuel filter and cleaned the injections. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
  • My 2000 Sable does the same thing. It not a fuel problem. Did you ever solve your problem with the tarus. Yes ford does suck big
  • replaced spark plugs and air filter(both ok) same problem, the answer was cleaning the throttle plate. its easy to remove,only 2 screws, it has 2 small air holes that were alitte gummed up,also cleaned hoses from valve cover to mafs,rpms now stay about 800 at lights
  • thom102thom102 Posts: 1
    i have a 96 taurus 3.0 efi trying to find out what to do i was driving on the highway engine just quit running and would not staart back up when u tried to start it just turned over at a real fast speed towed it to a shop they did a compresion test on it said i had low comp in a few cylenders and that the timimng chain was bad i put a timing chain on it and now it still wont start sounds like it is tryin but just wont star up. any idea what it could be?
  • Figured it out. It needed a new battery. Apparently the old battery was getting just tot he edge of dying and the car wouldn't start. Jump the battery and it the car would work perfectly for two weeks or so then do the same thing. It wasn't making any since. Finally I took the battery in and had it tested and replaced and havn't had problems since...that was about 4 months ago!
  • I am looking at buying a 92 sable. I was wondering if anyone would know why all the power buttons work but will not start. They say that it is a simple fix, like the relay switch but I wanted to get others opinions first. If anyone has any insite to this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for any help.
  • kztauruskztaurus Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 V6 Taurus 54,000 miles with a starting problem. Maybe someone can give me some ideas? It has a brand new (3 weeks) battery, but it continues to give me trouble. It is at the dealership right now and they are puzzled. If it has been sitting overnight it starts up. I do notice that the start-up is not quite what it should be...just slightly slow. After being driven and parked, it does not want to start again. It sounds like the battery is dying, but it is not. After two tries where is just "clicks", one try where is fights to turn over, it finally turns over. After being left in the garage overnight, it starts okay in the morning.
    Also, aren't there diagnostic machines that can check an alternator to see if it is working properly? How about other starting parts like starter, etc. Any diagnostic machines that can help?
  • dhoglunddhoglund Posts: 1
    Did you replace the spark plugs yourself?... I'm struggling trying to get the rear plugs in a 2000 Taurus 3.0L... and I own a 99 Sable...
  • panderpander Posts: 1
    I have changed the battery, and fixed a leak that was dripping onto the starter. The periodically will not start after driving and letting set from a half hour to a hour. When I turn on the key all lights on the dash light up and buzzer sounds because key is in ignition and door is open. Nothing happens. Sometimes if you leave it for a couple of hours or over night the car will start. We are afraid to drive any distance from the house in case it won't start and then you have to pay towing back. After a few times it gets expensive. Please advice what's next. I have called the dealer and they could run some test to find out what's happening. Is there anything I can do or check. Thanks
  • bev74bev74 Posts: 1
    Hi. I purchased my 2007 taurus in Aug., 2007. Since then on 3 occasions while either driving for 30 minutes or 3 hours my car has stalled while turning either left or right with no issues or check engine lights to warn me that something is wrong. As of today, the ford dealership has my car and has called me to tell me "they can't duplicate the problem". If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate the advice. Thank you. :confuse:
  • I have a 2003 Ford Taurus SES. I purchased it in January and it has recently been stalling when I stop. I hear a whining noise and then the theft light starts blinking, then the speedometer goes hay wire, then it stalls. Sometimes it just stalls when I stop without those indications. It also almost stalls while driving at highway speeds, only sometimes though, when I brake, use cruise control, or signal but it doesn't completely die, and resets the radio from on to off. It's like a power outage for 2 seconds then everything comes back online. The odd thing is that these things only happen once in awhile, but they are occurring more frequent lately. I have read that many people have had this problem but no one has been able to isolate the problem. Has anyone found out what the problem really is? Thanks for your help in advance.
  • dryachtdryacht Posts: 2
    I GOT AN OLDER FRIEND WITH A INTERMITTING PROBLEM WITH A 1994 SABLE WITH 120K ON IT THAT IS BAFFELING ME. WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY TO ON AND GET THE NORMAL 2-3 SECOND PRIME FROM THE FUEL PUMP EVERYTHING CRANKS AND RUNS FINE. HOWEVER SOMETIMES WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED TO ON THE PUMP WILL CONTINUE TO RUN AND WHEN CRANKED WILL NOT START.
    HAVE REPLACED THE INLINE FILTER AND THE FUEL PUMP IN THE TANK AND RAN GOOD FOR ONE DAY AND NOW BACK TO THE PUMP KEEPS RUNNING AND CANT GET IT TO START BUT CRANKS JUST FINE. HERES A FEW CLUES ALSO GETTING A FLICKERING AIR BAG LIGHT DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RELATION(OR WHEN THIS LIGHT STARTED DOING THAT) BUT UNTILL NOW IF YOU CYCLED THE KEY SWITCH IT WOULD CATCH, HOWEVER NOW IT WONT, STILL CRANKS GREAT BUT WILL NOT START? HAVE NOT CHECKED FOR FUEL PRESSURE OR INJECTORS FOR FIRE BUT SUSPECTING EITHER THE CAM SENSOR OR THE KEY SWITCH OR POSSIBLE HARNESS ISSUES, ANYBODY GOT ANY INSIGHT ON THIS BEFORE I go nuts??? Thanks
  • demoninudemoninu Posts: 2
    i have a 95 taurus i drove it to work 1 day and forgot to turn off the lights the battery died i replaced it and nothing. the starter oonly clicks once. befor that the car ran fine any help?
  • demoninudemoninu Posts: 2
    hey buddy im haveing the same problem with my 95 taurus when u find out how to fix it tell me pllz :D
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Just a theory.

Mark
  • dryachtdryacht Posts: 2
    AFTER REVIEWING MULTIPLE WIRING DIAGRAMS AND TALKING AROUND WITH MULTIPLE SOURCES I PURCHASED FROM A U PULL IT JUNK YARD FOR #50.00 AND REPLACED THE PCM LOCATED BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX AND IT NOW WORKS FINE. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WEATHER IT'S A FEDERAL OR CALIFORNIA PCM WHEN DOING THIS AND 94 AND 95 ARE THE SAME AS IS A SEDAN OR STATION WAGON AND A SABLE AND TAURES ARE ALSO IDENICAL BUT MUST BE THESE TWO YEARS ONLY.

KEEP IN MIND I HAD SPARK,FUEL PRESSURE,INJECTOR PULSE PRIOR AND CRANKED FINE AND WOULD NOT START. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 10 VOLTS MINIMUM WHILE CRANKING AS IT WILL NOT RUN WITHOUT.

PRIOR TO REPLACING THE PCM THE FUEL PUMP IN THE TANK AND THE CCRM MODULE ON THE RADIATOR SUPPORT WERE ALSO REPLACED AND HAD NO EFFECT. THE FACT THAT THE FUEL PUMP AND RADIATOR FAN NEVER SHUT OF WITH THE KEY IN THE RUN POSISTION WAS THE CLUE FOR ME AFTER REVIEWING THE WIRING DIAGRAM. HOPE THIS HELPS IN SOME WAY
  • bsbearbsbear Posts: 1
    Replaced with used engine, checked all wires, cleaned all grounds, have 12 v to positive on coil. 12 volts to red pin in distributer plug but no spark or minus coil voltage.
  • Strange. I have a 2003 Ford Taurus SES that I purchased in July. Yesterday on the way home from work the engine sounded funny like it was loosing power and then my alternator light came on. I did make it home (a ten minute trip) and it didn't die completely. The only thing that might be causing it is my gas cap is sort of broken and it won't make a complete seal on the gas and I am going to buy a new gas lid and see if that fixes the problem. I checked the oil and it is fine and the engine is not overheating at all. I cranked it up this morning and cranked no problem just engine sounds weak like it is loosing power. I am going to take it to autozone later and let them put it on the diagnostic machine and tell me what it might be.

Let me know if you find out anything else about this problem and I will let you know whether the gas lid fixes my problem.
  • TAURUS 2002.

When I get near the car and press the UNLOCK on the remote and it DOESN'T work that time, and I manually open the door, get in and then try to start the car - nothing happens until I try it about 3 to 4 times (no fuel pump sound, no lites, no cranking, not anything!). IF the remote unlocks the car, it works normally. One symptom is that NO LITES show on the instrument panel until that 3rd or 4th try. If the lites come on, then the car will start.

Another symptom, sometimes it tries to stutter and die while driving (rarely) and I haven't noticed whether the lites are on or not - NOT with 3 dozen cars behind me going 60 mph!!! I just try to get it started again as quickly as possible. That symptom may be related - don't know.

Checked the battery terminals. When I try to diagnose the problem, of course it won't fail right then. When its where I can't take a chance to just diagnose the problem, it seems to fail.

The leading symptom is the failure to UNLOCK with the remote. When that happens, then I am sure it is not going to start until I try it 3 or 4 times. Also, I never hear the fuel pumpt and absolutely NO LITES will come on until the next time that I start to try it (3 or 4) then the lites come on and it will crank and start.
  • 94 taurus I am having the same problem with mine. It stalls out. It won't start for a period of time. I have had the control module replaced. It still does it. I can't figure it out. :confuse: :lemon: now it is smoking and smells as if something is burning. The temp. gauge is normal
  • I am wondering the best way to replace a 2001 ford taurus spark plugs? I have done it spark plugs in the past but only on a 4 cylinder. I don't know how to go about changing the back three on this car however. Could someone please give some good details on how to do this as my car is studdering due to needing new plugs.
  • Hi thom102,
    I have the same car and the same problem. The mech told me the engine was shot but I don't believe him. I suspected the timing chain also until I realized it had a 'chain' and not a timing BELT.
    If you find an answer please let me know!
    Mine has plenty of gasoline pressure and all the spark plugs fire (I pulled each one and checked 'em). When I try to start it, it almost seems to want to start then it goes back to just a fast cranking.??? Putting oil in the cyls did not increase the compressions. I had NEVER had any problem starting this car before (have a great 'Optima' battery) and charging system works great.
    I'm confused with the low compressions though. I feel it is either bad head gaskets, bad /warped head(s) or stranger then that, that the valves aren't closing properly???
    Since all this came about very suddenly makes it evan more confusing. The engine only has 35,000 miles on it. It was put in new in 2002.
    The OBDII data link on mine has never worked so I can't get any signals from it.
    So if anyone out there has an idea, please let us in on it.
    Thanks
  • car starts fine but when you give it gas it stutters and if you push the pedal farther it stalls out iget no trouble codes off self test, i can feather the pedal and keep it running but when rpms go up engine acts like its got a govenor on it only allowing it to a low rpm if anyone has an idea any help would be appreciated