Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Starting or Stalling Problems

124»

Comments

• Your coilpack might be bad. At night, try starting the car with the hood open and check to see if there is any electrical arching at the coil pack or spark plug wires.
  • ez49ez49 Posts: 2
    I did check the cables, and found that arcing occurring.

However, the car did overheat once before it died. Someone told me that when the engine overheated a crack may have occurred, which maybe what is causing the engine to loose compression and not turn over. I don't know where the crack may have occurred. Does anyone know how to check this? Were would the crack occur...in a seal, on the engine block (compression cylinder)....

Thanks.
  • charger3charger3 Posts: 209
    Sounds like your injectors are leaking you shut the car off they leak the engine is flooded it will finally start. Drive it at 30 to 40 cleans the plugs off and it runs good. And for anyone that has a bad check valve in the pump the pressure is good but the gas leaks back into the tank and you have to crank and crank to get it started or turn the key on for five seconds to run the pump and then turn off and on again for five seconds after the 3rd try you crank it. It usually starts right up then you know your pump is bad
  • stark1990stark1990 Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2007 Taurus with 56k on it. I've had it for a month now and I've taken it back to the dealership twice now because it keeps stalling. I don't know what causes it but the RPMs dip lower than normal and thats what it sounds like before it stalls. I've noticed it only does it when it's hot, the AC is running. When it stalls, the gauges on the dash all twitch for a while. I try pushing the gas after it does this but nothing happens. Sometimes after it twitches the gas gauge reads that there is more gas in there than before. I once had almost half a tank then it stalls, when I turned it back on it read a full tank. It doesn't matter how much gas I have when it happens. The dealership has cleaned the Throttle body, but that didn't help. I've tried recreating the situation but I can't find out what exactly causes it. It happens when I'm at a stop or going less than 20MPH.

If anyone has ANY information on this problem, please help. I would really like this problem fixed!
  • partsman7partsman7 Posts: 1
    I would suspect the IAC (idle air control) motor. Fords have an idle issue that will cause them to die when pulled up to a stop sign sometimes you hear a sound like the horn honking, thats the air valve shutting off when it should stay open, it is caused by carbon generally and is best just to change the IAC. usually 3 screws easy access.
  • ken176ken176 Posts: 1
    I have the exact same thing happening to my 07 Taurus!! Have you figured it out yet???
  • No, not yet. But they are finally getting somewhere. They let me drive it with the flight recorder for a few days. It stalls randomly so I didn't know when it would happen, but it seemed to happen after I filled up with gas and topped off. They took the flight recorder with the info on it and talked to Ford. I'm taking my car in next week and they are going to do some tests on it and once I figure out what it was/is I will post it on here.
  • I'm hoping someone can help me with my '93 Mercury Sable (V6 3.8L GS) It started today with no problems and I drove it to school and back home before going back to school. Two hours later, I try to start it and it clunks when trying to turn over. After a few times of the clunking, it starts but idles very rough and when I drove forward it was like I was driving over short bumps. Worse yet, in the headlights my brother sees a trail of fluid of some sort from the driver side, but no luck finding leaks tonight. Any help is appreciated.
  • I have a 1994 Mercury Sable with a 3.8L that will not start. I have spark and car will run on starting fluid. Thought fuel pump at first but system has plenty of pressure. After checking the injectors I relized I do not have any injector pulse. Replaced the CCRM but still no injector pulse. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • Went to the dollor store the other day came out started the 2004 mercury sable it started but died then it would not do anything thing not even turn over waited 30sec it stated up.
  • dnt2dnt2 Posts: 3
    The reason that I joined today is to let you guys know how to fix this very frustrating vehicle computer reset problem. I fought the random crazy dash lights and stalling issue for over a year on a 2003 Taurus SES. IT IS A BAD DIODE IN YOUR ALTERNATOR Trust me on this. Replace the alternator. I did not want to post until I knew 100% this was it and after 12 months with no problems I can safely say that it is 100% fixed. I hope this helps I know that some people will still be skeptical as they have fought the problem for so long but if you replace the alternator and the problem continues then you have replaced with a alternator that also has a bad diode. The Guy at the local Autozone store found it with the store tester. I had been having it tested at Advance Auto parts and their machine did not show the bad diode. I wish I had written down the tester model for you sorry. I would go to several different stores and have them test for a bad diode in your alternator!! I searched for many hours on sites like this and NEVER found the definitive answer so here you go REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR and then have it tested to make darn sure you got a good alternator. Good Luck
  • dnt2dnt2 Posts: 3
    The reason that I joined today is to let you guys know how to fix this very frustrating vehicle computer reset problem. I fought the random crazy dash lights and stalling issue for over a year on a 2003 Taurus SES. IT IS A BAD DIODE IN YOUR ALTERNATOR Trust me on this. Replace the alternator. I did not want to post until I knew 100% this was it and after 12 months with no problems I can safely say that it is 100% fixed. I hope this helps I know that some people will still be skeptical as they have fought the problem for so long but if you replace the alternator and the problem continues then you have replaced with a alternator that also has a bad diode. The Guy at the local Autozone store found it with the store tester. I had been having it tested at Advance Auto parts and their machine did not show the bad diode. I wish I had written down the tester model for you sorry. I would go to several different stores and have them test for a bad diode in your alternator!! I searched for many hours on sites like this and NEVER found the definitive answer so here you go REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR and then have it tested to make darn sure you got a good alternator. Good Luck
  • I have a 1997 Sable that stalls out when you put it in gear. It doesn't happen all the time but most of the time. Then it won't start back up for a awhile. The check engine light was on and flashing and I had it checked which said it was the coil. I bought a new coil pack and even got a new battery since it was old. It still does this. The check engine light came back on after I drove it and then it just stalled out again.
  • So if I take it to Advance have them check for a bad diode?
  • I have a 2001 sable that after about ten miles,only on hot days {over 100 deg} stalls and dies like its out of gas.if I let sit about an hour it starts and runs.....ive had it on mechanic friends laptop he says there are no trouble codes coming up...on cooler days I cant get it to manifest this problem....is the fuel pump relay a thermalcoupler also....or does this model have known vaporlock issues.fuel rail seems to have pressure when problem happens....hopin its a relay replacement and not pump itself
124»