Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Transmission Problems

12345679»

Comments

• shelgrlshelgrl Posts: 5
    Yes, GET RID OF IT! Mine did the same things, also revved up and the tranny let go. One problem after another, sinking tons of money into it and was still paying on it. Check engine light was always on, sensors going all the time, tranny and starter went at the same time, tranny went 2 times in less than a month from each other, computer problems and not functioning properly giving weird readings on gas in car and miles, etc, crankshaft synchronizer, etc. I never could get my car (05 Mercury Sable) to get good gas mileage. 19 mpg would have been the best on a long road trip..usually stayed anywhere between 15 and 17 mpg. Numerous other problems too.
  • rmb0629rmb0629 Posts: 1
    I was in cruise on highway when the rpms started going up and down started slowing down and pulled over would not reverse nor drive what could this be?
  • You need to look up Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 06-18-13 "Erratic Fluid Level Reading on Transaxle Dipstick".

There is a vent fitting with a check valve (rubber cap) on top of the transmission housing near the firewall on the driver's side that sticks and malfunctions closed. This causes pressure to build up and force transmission fluid up and out of the dipstick tube. The replacement vent valve assembly number is 1C3Z-7034-AA and cost me $18.40 w/o tax.

The hardest part was finding a way to create enough leverage to pull the old vent valve straight up. I did it by using a large pair of vise-grips on the vent fitting, sliding a long screwdriver thru it to rest against a bracket, and then pried straight up on the vise-grips against the bracket.

You gently tap in the new vent and then attach a two-foot length of 5/16" diameter hose and secure it with cable tie wraps as shown in the TSB.

Less than $22.00 to fix. Good Luck
  • You need to look up Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 06-18-13 "Erratic Fluid Level Reading on Transaxle Dipstick".

There is a vent fitting with a check valve (rubber cap) on top of the transmission housing near the firewall on the driver's side that sticks and malfunctions closed. This causes pressure to build up and force transmission fluid up and out of the dipstick tube. The replacement vent valve assembly number is 1C3Z-7034-AA and cost me $18.40 w/o tax.

The hardest part was finding a way to create enough leverage to pull the old vent valve straight up. I did it by placing a large pair of vise-grips vertically onto the vent fitting, sliding a long screwdriver thru the vise-grips and resting the shaft of the screwdriver against a bracket, and then pried the screwdriver straight up into the closed vise-grips. The vent fitting popped out.

You gently tap in the new vent and then attach a two-foot length of 5/16" diameter vacuum hose and secure it with cable tie wraps and band-clamps as shown in the TSB.

Less than $25.00 Total to fix. Good Luck
  • dmr8dmr8 Posts: 1
    I currently own a 2005 SE taurus and am very disappointed in this car. If I could send this car back to the dealership where I purchased it I would. My story starts on November 18, 2004 I needed a car and decided to go to Ford dealership and look to see if they had any quality made cars, well I saw this beautiful green taurus and asked to test drive it. I did and decided to purchase it. I wish I would have investigated this car further because at 9000 miles the transmission had to be rebuilt at a cost of $1,700 dollars which was cover by the warrenty but I dropped the car off at the dealership got and rental and went on my way. They had the car for almost two weeks when I decided to call because at this point I was wondering if I should keep this car. So I called the dealership and without asking me they rebuilt the transmission. I was young and stupid took the car back and continued to drive it. At 69,000 I am on a very busy highway in the high speed lane and I start to loose power the engine is running but I am slowing down so I make my way to the side of the road call the dealership and they tell me it is out of warrenty and I could have it towed in and they will look at it. I am really upset, angry and sorry I ever purchased this car. I finally decided to have it towed around to different shops and find the Amacco works on these cars everyday, week, month and so on. "These cars bring us a lot of business" as stated by the manager of the repair shop. This time only the tourque converter was replaced. Really I say to myself when it was supposely overhauled at 9,000 miles. So I pay out of my pocket 862.00 again to put this car back on the road. So this story gets pretty ugly on December 14, 2012 my transmission blowns up and I guess the third time its a charm. I finally tracked down a transmission and this time forked out 1,000 dollars to purchased it and have it installed. I am so tired of Ford and other companies not standing behind their products. I read your post and it is really UNFORTUNATE that ford is waiting for deaths to occur to correct this problem. How do you think Henry Ford would have handled this problem. My father worked for Ford and would have been ashamed of how this company handles this transmission problem. What is the saying Ford Tough Ford Quality built no# 1 well Ford motor it time to prove it. I am investigating ways and need help to start a Class Action Suite if anyone is willing to help let me know. Thanks for listening and please let me know.
    dmr8
  • Wow, this sounds so similar to what my car was doing..."was" meaning I finally had had enough and traded it in almost a year ago. The problems just continued on my car exactly like yours and wouldn't stop. My car also never got past 19 mpg, had several transmission problems, o2 sensor issues, check engine light never went out, computer problems, lurking forward, etc. The car would also periodically *konk out* on me, etc. When I would get gas it would either not register that I got gas at all and take two days for it to finally register, meaning one day it could say I had 50 miles left on my tank and then the next minute would say I had 100 miles MORE. It was affecting how my car ran, etc. Finally said *enough is enough* and got rid of it. In one year alone I spent over $5,000 in problems and still owed on the car. My advice would be to take a loss and get rid of the car. It's not going to get any better. My mom has a Taurus and is just now starting to experience similar things with her car at 85,000 miles. My car started around 60,000-65,000 miles and when I traded it in it had a little over 100,000 miles on it. The company claims there are no recalls or anything, yet all the garages I've ever talked to and mechanics, as well as AAMCO said these cars always have problems, especially tranny problems. Seriously, if you are tired of shelling out money on this car, I would get rid of it. I'm so much happier now that I did. Good luck to you!
  • Wow, this sounds so similar to what my car was doing..."was" meaning I finally had had enough and traded it in almost a year ago. The problems just continued on my car exactly like yours and wouldn't stop. My car also never got past 19 mpg, had several transmission problems, o2 sensor issues, check engine light never went out, computer problems, lurking forward, etc. The car would also periodically *konk out* on me, etc. When I would get gas it would either not register that I got gas at all and take two days for it to finally register, meaning one day it could say I had 50 miles left on my tank and then the next minute would say I had 100 miles MORE. It was affecting how my car ran, etc. Finally said *enough is enough* and got rid of it. In one year alone I spent over $5,000 in problems and still owed on the car. My advice would be to take a loss and get rid of the car. It's not going to get any better. My mom has a Taurus and is just now starting to experience similar things with her car at 85,000 miles. My car started around 60,000-65,000 miles and when I traded it in it had a little over 100,000 miles on it. The company claims there are no recalls or anything, yet all the garages I've ever talked to and mechanics, as well as AAMCO said these cars always have problems, especially tranny problems. Seriously, if you are tired of shelling out money on this car, I would get rid of it. I'm so much happier now that I did. Good luck to you!
  • I am going through the same thing. What was your resolution?
    Thanks,
    Robin
  • I would check to see if that's a loose belt as the two sounds are often confused, other than that it is most likely the beginning of the end for your transmission. Good luck.
  • This braking problem and the one before sounds like a collapsing power brake vacuum line. The rising rpm could be a vacuum leak as well.
  • i found the torque convertor for 2001 - 2007 ford tarurus @ ADVANCE AUTO PARTS & AUTO ZONE for approx. 100.00 plus tax 2/28/2013
    dont be ripped off ! if the splines on front shaft is in good condition , shaft does not move side to side by hand , turns smoothly by hand , all you need s a torque convertor ! DANNY