Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Grand Caravan Engine Problems

Comments

• sknutsonsknutson Posts: 1
    Dodge Grand Caravan, 2003
    shuts off by itself and will not start back up. Relay clicks but the starter never cranks over. Noticed that the EATX SAFETY SHUT DOWN RELAY got hot and replace that. Then replaced the ignition switch. Starter shouldn't be the issue since that would not shut off the Van. Sometime I can go out and start it up but it soon dies and will not turn over. Just noticed that the EATX SAFETY SHUT DOWN RELAY was getting warm as I was turning the key to strt the engine. The starter/ignition rely clicks but like I said that's as far as it goes. No other relays get warm or hot... Sounds like a ton of people have had the same problem but for some reason, the actual solution that worked does not get posted... Does Dodge have an IT guy hack in and remove the cure from blogs and forums???
  • kosmo5kosmo5 Posts: 6
    I am having a similar issue, replaced the pump and filter and now the car doesn't want to go when you give it gas. Also, the idle is rough. Did you ever get this figured out?
    The fuel pump went out and it was replaced along with the fuel filter. The van ran pretty good for about a week or so and then it started chugging sometimes like it was going to run out of gas. Then when I would press on the gas enough to make the transmission shift down, the rpm's would raise but the van wouldn't go any faster. It also now has a rough idle and the idle speed appears to be high. Has anyone had this problem or knows what a possible solution might be? Thanks.
    I experienced this exact same thing and it was the oil pressure switch. Easy to replace and it it located on the side of the oil filter.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    I would first test the fuel pressure in order to rule out fuel supply; there should be a fitting on the fuel injector rail, similar to that of a valve stem on a tire, to which a pressure gauge can be connected.
    What should the pressure be? Could it be the fuel pump is bad?
    I cannot recall; I want to say it is something like 40psi. It could be a continuing problem with the pump, but it could also be something that is restricting flow (the conditions you described are high-demand situations for fuel). You would need to observe the fuel pressure under varying engine speeds and loads. In normal operation, the pressure should be constant.
    Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try.
    Could this also be an issue with the catalytic converter? Is there a way to test this to see if it is clogged?
    It's possible - anything affected by flow volume could be the source: air intake, spark plug wires, exhaust, fuel. Air intake and spark plug wires are pretty easy to test (take a look at your air filter and check resistance in the wires w/ ohmmeter), but I don't know about the exhaust.
  • Hi I am posting this for my dad he is not to good with computers. He has a 99 Dodge Grandcaravan. Lately his check engine light has been flashing on and off mostly when he presses the gas and then it idles rough. He was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this could be. It doesnt stay on long enough to have the code read I guess. He recently tried to have all the spark plugs and wires changed but 2 of the spark plugs were stuck I dont know if that matters and also lately the air bag light flashes I dont know if this is a coincidence or has something to do with all of it. Would needing an oil change cause the light to come on. Any info you can offer would be great! Thanks.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    No, needing an oil change would not cause the CEL to come on.

First thing you need to do is take it somewhere (Autozone?) and have 'em read the OBD-II codes.
  • '97 grand caravan 3.8 - Started off being a problem starting sometimes and sometimes not. Then turned into shutting down occasionally while driving. Now it cranks but doesn't want to start. I have power from the battery to the pcm, but from the pcm to the coil, I have nothing. Also, I have continuity from the coil to the pcm harness. I have checked all fuses, and relays were tested and check out okay. I have replaced the pcm and have the same problem. Is there something that needs to done with the computer before it is installed? I bought it from autozone and it is supposed to be pre-programmed. Lost in Texas.
    edited February 2010
    Let me know if you figure this one out, as I have the same problem; Mine is a '98 DGC 3.8L AWD. It has never shut down while driving, but it usually will not start. When it does not start, symptoms are the same as yours: nothing controlled by the Automatic Shutdown circuit receives power (coil, fuel injectors, fuel pump). I am leaning toward a bad BCM (Body Control Module) or the connection to it but have not yet tested or replaced it. The repair manual I have states that the ASD circuit is controlled by input from the crank and camshaft position sensors. I tested power to each and it was good, so I went ahead and replaced them with no change.

I tried starting it last night after having given up on it for five months and it fired right up (less than two cranks) as though I had only started it the previous day. I drove it around for about 30 minutes to toss fluids around, etc., and it worked perfectly. I shut it down and restarted it with no problems. I tried again two hours later and it was back to no-start. This morning it was the same way. :mad:
  • Does yours stall out of no where? We have been having problems with ours for over 6 months. It is a 97 DGC and we were about to completely give up untill I read a lot off of these forums. No matter what when we took it in to get it tested either they would tell us they couldn't find anything wrong or we would replace something and the problem would still be there. There seems to be alot of posts about replacing or re-soltering the Circuit Board behind the dash so thats what we are going to try. I will repost how it works but after what all I have read Im almost positive it will as it has for so many others.
    It has yet to stall. So far, the only manifestation is the failure to start. If I turn the key to "on" and hear the fuel pump activate (the fuel pump is one of the items controlled under the ASD circuit), I know it is going to start and work fine. I tried starting the van again last night, but no dice. It was only having this problem for about two weeks before it became so unreliable that my wife asked me to purchase a new car and we ceased to use it. I was able to start it a few times after that, but then went a solid month where it failed to start every time I tried it. Once winter set in toward the end of September, I parked it and did not try again until Wednesday night (when it started right up!).

I also have the circuit board issue, but that silly thing works less than it doesn't any more, so I really doubt it has anything to do with it directly. In fact, the board was not working Wednesday when the van did work, but came on after it was running for about 20 minutes. Both times I tried starting it yesterday, the gauges were working. :confuse:
  • fcharvfcharv Posts: 1
    The guages and center console buttons do not work (except the tac). Replacing fuses has not worked. I am told I need a new circuit board, but new ones are not available. Where can I locate one?
  • While driving, my interior lights flash, all doors lock continually, "door ajar" goes on and off as well as constant chimes. The only time it seems to stop is when I am traveling between 85 to 95 km/h. Any help to stop this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dan
  • dmortondmorton Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I have the same exact problem. The center console doesn't show temp or compass heading. Now the map lights are both out. Did you ever get this fixed?
  • HI. I know this is a long shot, but did you ever figure out what was the issue with your van? Mine is doing the SAME EXACT THING. The check engine light comes on and off and reads "cylinder misfire 1". Ive replaced coil pack, plugs and wires and its still does it...especially after getting gas. Its the weirdest thing. Thanks for any help you can give me!