Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Sprinter Tires & Wheels

Comments

• kenbakerkenbaker Posts: 239
    I agree with the dealer problems... these customer service problems are like a plague on the brand...

My dealer in OKC, Oklahoma is likely to be removed from 5-Star and Sprinter Dealer status very soon, leaving just about NO ONE to do warranty work in the entire central Oklahoma area!

I plan to start using a Mercedes shop as soon as the warranty is out (local non-factory MB shop).

Thanks,
    KenB

PS, check out the Bridgestone Bilzzaks for the Sprinter they really do look great for the application, including bad weather driving.
  • cornjoliocornjolio Posts: 5
    I have an 04 3500 with a harbor utility body. The 15" tires (195 vanco) apear as tinny doughnuts beneath my truck. Anybody gone to a much bigger tire? Problems? I may have 7 or 8 (one completly new) tires to get rid of without the 4 week lead time..(I went through that too!). Also I live where there is snow..(Iowa) any luck with the Blizzak line?

I have had lots of dealer problems too! I don't think I will go there if there is any possible way around them. Thanks for this forum..big help.
  • 2000_valk2000_valk Posts: 68
    Looks like a trip to the tire store. I have 78k one the original. I still have some good tread, But why chance anything. Any suggestions out there. Im in mich. I do 60/40 freeway and around town. Any tips, Thanks, Tom :shades:
  • When my '08 Sprinter shows up with the factory aluminum wheels I plan on sending them to SoCal to get plated. The going rate is $125 per wheel (anything 17" or smaller) plus freight. Has anyone had this done or for that matter, has anyone ordered these wheels from the factory? :shades:
    Tom,
    Personally I am still leaning toward Bridgestone Blizzak's,
    Otherwise, Bridgestone Duelers (if rated for the load) with enough tread profile to do some good in mud/snow (more than the H/L model Dueler).

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/SearchByVehicle_BS_EN.aspx?Year=2004- &Make=DODGE&Model=Sprinter+2500+w%2fCommercial+Tires+Only+(Std+Size)

KenB ;)
  • Hey I used the firestone Winterforce tires in a 215-70-15 in the back... dualies, and they worked great. Not 8 ply but I dont have a big load and I have four in the back right? The front I left stock for now.... any Ideas for them or to get an extra set of rims? peace, Paul
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    Because this vehicle was designed in Europe, it has some peculiar tire requirements.

The vehicle either comes with LT tires or C tires (the European equivalent of LT tires.)

If you have the 15", they are C type.

In either case you should not use passenger car tires on it.

Be sure you get the right kind. They need to be capable of at least 65 psi. (There is one version of this truck that is going to require 80 psi.)
  • I just went to a tire website. they suggested 4 snow tires. I have never heard of putting snow tires on the front of a rear wheel drive vehicle.
    can anyone tell me their opinion.
    The tires all have to match or the computer will turn on limp mode due to differential speeds of tires.

Sprinter turning radius gives a challenge to tires due to turn-in radius and the added traction is a great thing for the fronts as well as the rears.

Finally, the ASR/ESP/Antilock Brakes all work better with traction all around. In slippery conditions, these systems work together with alternating braking, acceleration, engine retardation, etc. to make turns and maneuvers safer.

All in all, it is recommended to match tires on a Sprinter, even though it is rear wheel drive only in the USA.

KenB ;)
  • Hi ken<

What would Limp mode look like? I am running larger tires on the back duelies. They are passenger snow tires rated at 45 psi. I run 42 cold and get good wear, handling, and with my light loads and four tires I personally have no worries . Is there somethiong I am missing? P.S. I ran the snows through the summer since last year or 30,000+ miles. the only problem is that the cruise control doesnt work over 45 mph...
    Thanks For your input Paul
    Yes Paul,
    that is the first level of limp mode related to tire size mismatch... no Cruise Control over @ 45 MPH. I had forgotten that was the reported effect for (minor, but noticeable) tire mismatch.

I cannot remember all of the circumstances that will also turn on speed limiting, obviously a detected turbo failure (real or imagined, such as turbo resonator failure (loss of turbo boost pressure)); engine codes; etc. Perhaps more severe tire mismatches.

The other effect as I had mentioned is confusion of the ASR/ESP/ABS systems in slick conditions, such as turning on ice... when all the systems work together to stop spin, tire sliding, and stability issues.

KenB :shades:
  • I have a 2006 Sprinter 2500 with the high top. Last year I used 2 studded tires on the back but driving the Sprinter it felt less stable. I am looking to possibly go with the Blizzak W965's. Do I need to put 4 tires on or can I use just 2. I live in upstate NY and drive country roads a lot here as well as in Penn.

Dick R.
  • Hi,
    What might the ramifications be if I am running passenger snows on the rear with the duellies. I am running 215-70-15's with 40
    psi and now moved up to a 215-75-15 firestone winterforce Studded in the rear. In the front I used a 225-70-15 load range d tires.
    With all four being much higher and the same height the ABS and ESP works fine.
    thanks for your help

Paul
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    ".........What might the ramifications be if I am running passenger snows on the rear with the duellies. I am running 215-70-15's with 40
    psi and now moved up to a 215-75-15 firestone winterforce Studded in the rear. In the front I used a 225-70-15 load range d tires........"

One of the ramifications would be a tire failure - and if this occurred at high speed - well......the results could be tragic.

This is why I posted my comment about the tire type. You have to use C type or LT type tires in order to have enough load carrying capacity.
    I plan to go with matched Blizzaks (all four).

KenB
  • sppspp Posts: 13
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a 2006 sprinter 2500 cargo van 140". I need to get snows. I'm thinking of also geting new wheels for the snows. Can some one please tell me what are the largest size wheels and tires I could put on the sprinter 2500. Also, would you recommend a good snow tire. One tire dealer I use tells me to get cooper s/t. another says bridgestone blizzack w965. BTW are the wheels available in black, i'm tired of dirty looking brake dust. Thanks,
  • Guys,

Keep the OE size as much as possible. if you start to change the overall diameter of the tire (rolling circumference), it may change the characteristics of the vehicle. Just as an example, your stopping distance may become longer due to the pulses on the ABS.

Also, if using winter tires, do your best to put on 4. If you can only afford 2, ALWAYS install them on the rear of the vehicle. If all of your traction is only on the front of the vehicle, you will likely lose the rear of the vehicle in a corner on slipery roads and end up in the ditch.

FYI - The Sprinters used by our courier company is equipped with Bridgestone Blizzak W965. They seem to work exceptionally well.
  • Well...I have moved up from the stock 195-15 to a 215 75 15 and the van rides awesome. Studded snows in the back and goodyear cargo vectors 225-70-15's in the front! two inches larger diameter....the way it should have been! stops great. Speedometer is spot on correct to...go figure!
    Paul
    Your (analog) speedometer is now spot on... your (digital) odometer/engine management is now off... and you are putting more miles on the vehicle than your dash shows.

You must keep front and rear diameters very close or ASR/ESP/ABS, etc. will not be calibrated, and can even disable features (like no cruise control over 45 MPH).

KenB :shades:
  • All streering and 75% of braking workload is on front tires. That is why four snow tires are a good idea.