Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Audio Questions

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Has anyone done an actual comparison between the two?
    I test drove the G last Friday and the car had the base stereo in it... and I never got to hear the Studio on Wheels stereo.

The base stereo was... um... less than impressive?

Can I expect to be impressed with the stereo?
  • kring5kring5 Posts: 144
    I'm 100% impressed with the SOW system and really asking for anything more from an OEM system on a $35K car is unreasonable.

I found it's on par with the lexus ML system, and it's better then Audi's, Benz, BMW and Acura's.

Some have commented that it's a little short on bass and it front loaded.. I think the bass is fine, but I agree that it's not "Kick yo butt" bass. it's very full and clean. The system is front loaded by design, because so is a home theater and so is a concert unless you listen to a concert facing the wrong way. I think some people because use to having the music come from behind them that they have come to beleive that's the way it should be.

I'm suprised the dealer didn't have any SOW systems to test, doesn't seem right. check with them again or another dealer.

It's the best system I've ever had and I really can't find anything to complain about. I'm unable to turn it up past 1/2 because it's just too loud for my ears even at highway speeds.
  • I'm trying to find the titles to the songs that I initaly bought from itunes, then burned to a CD and loaded into the music box. I've loaded the tracks onto the CF from the music box and the program is looking for them, but it's not finding the songs. Can this be done with CDs that are burned from itunes?
  • Cool. Maybe we could swap out the Seagate ST930813AM with the 50G Hitachi N4K50 for 30G of MP3 space.

Anyone have any idea if the MP3 partition is something simple like a FAT? If it is, we could dd the whole disk over, run fdisk/mkfs on the new drive to resize the mp3 partition. Finally mount both of the mp3 partitions and copy over whatever data is on them.

Just ordered the car. Can't wait to play with it.
  • Assuming that it's possible to mirror the drive and then repartition, that would be nice.

Any idea where you can buy one of the Hitachi's. Not seeing any purchase options online...

Anyone know where the drive is physically located.
  • I found the 40G Seagate at PC connection. Do a search on EE25.1.

Logicsupply seems to have the Hitachi auto hard drives, but they don't have anything larger than 30G so far. Maybe in another couple of months they will have the 50G.
  • I have a 2007 G35X without navigation and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get the CD player to show song titles on the CDs I play. Sometimes it works spontaneously and sometimes I get nothing but Track 1, Track 2, etc. The instruction manual doesn't really provide much guidance. Any ideas out there?
    Are they original retail CD's or are they burnt CD's? do you have the SOW system (premium package) or do you have the base audio system?
  • I have the premium package. I was referring to original retail CDs. know that in most cases, a burnt CD wouldn't show information, but I've played a bunch of manufactured CDs and got no information.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    I have the original package and seem I don't have any problems w/ my burnt CD as long it has the title name before you burn into the CD.
  • joshk72joshk72 Posts: 3
    Is there some way to turn on the feature that reads CD track information? The instruction manual doesn't really provide directions on it for systems that don't have the touch screen capability (non-nav).
    What I'm finding out is that there are very few CD's that actually have "CDTEXT" built into them, as a matter of fact I havn't found a single disc yet that is actually CDTEXT enabled. So that's why your probably not seeing anything. Also the CD Changer does not take advantage of the gracenote feature that the head unit player uses to get information about the CD. so the bottom line is, the CD Changer is really just a player, it's integration with the Whole system was not considered, it's more of an after-thought, so you can listen to CD's... but as you can see, it doesn't even list the tracks , it only shows 1 track in the top slot.
  • trudesaitrudesai Posts: 4
    I just bought a G35 sport. The dealer told me there is an ipod docking station that can be purchased which would fit where the ash tray is. I forgot the name of the company that makes it but just wondering if anyone else has heard of that. He also said that it will allow you to flip through the songs on the ipod using the controls on the steering wheel. Also, has anyone been able to figure out how to get the video to play without having to be in park. Im sure its just a ground you have to rewire somewhere else because I used to have an aftermarket TV and it worked the same way.
    There is an ipod docking station but it doesn't allow you to use any controls on the steering wheel for a 2007 model. from what I understand it basically replaces your Satellite radio connection, so you can't use Sat Radio, it's a trade-off, it exists, I'll try and find the link, but it hasn't been tested with 2007 models.

There is no bypass for the video, and wires won't work. it's all electronic and cutting the wire on the park brake doesn't work, you need to also cut the detection of the tranny being in park and the vehicle speed sensor. By doing this MANY other functions such as navigation and other safety features stop working and the car will have all sorts of errors and the check engine light on. The only way you'll be able to have video while in motion is if someone is able to rewrite the firmware/software that runs the system and most likely the only way that is happening is if you rip the entire system appart because the HDD is buried in the head unit and it's not a serviceable component.

The outlook on this is not good at all, unless Infiniti decides to come out with an OEM solution to ipod, yet I doubt they will allow video even if they do.
    Last March, I came VERY close to buying a Lexus IS.
    I was very interested in bypassing the video lockout while the car was in motion.

There was an entry in one particular forum where a member made a complete walk through of a hack, including very nice pictures. It included removal of the Navi and cutting/splicing/hacking of wires leading to speed and brake sensors.

Many others followed suit and everyone drove their brand new IS while watching DVDs on their Mark Levinson/Navigation systems.
    Everyone was happy. :)

Then, months down the road, the posts started to come in. Systems were shutting down, some were reporting incorrect locations and some all together stopped working.
    Of course, this killed the warranty and these guys are all out of Navi systems - all for a few months of driving and watching movies. :cry:

I'm learning my lesson from their mistake.
    ;)
  • randy007randy007 Posts: 2
    was just wondering if i can add a sub to the existing bose amplifier in my 05 coupe.just want some kind of bass.any suggestions......
  • randy007randy007 Posts: 2
    any advice to where to tap at the rear speakers for an after market amp/sub.is it better before the factory amp or close to the speakers?
  • sizarrosizarro Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if music can be transferred to the 9gb onboard hard drive by any other means than copying from CD (which I find bizarre at best even if it did work - mine will record for 20 seconds or so and then start over)? Even if it did work as expected, it would take a considerable amount of time to copy from my CD collection.

I heard that you may be able to copy music from the CF card to the hard drive; anyone know if this is true?
  • akubikakubik Posts: 20
    Does anyone know whether the 2006 sedan was pre-wired for XM or Sirius? They wanted $350 for XM, so I let them keep it. But now I kind of want it. Has anyone tried to install it aftermarket? What has been your experience.
  • weinberkweinberk Posts: 13
    "Does anyone know if music can be transferred to the 9gb onboard hard drive by any other means than copying from CD... I heard that you may be able to copy music from the CF card to the hard drive; anyone know if this is true?"

You can't copy from CF to HDD. You can't even copy from an MP3 cd to the disk. Stinks. I'm toying with physically removing the drive, figuring out the file system and how the database of songs works and then manually copying mp3's over and updating the database. From a computer-tech standpoint, I could do it - I'm just not real excited about taking the dash of a $40k car apart.
    A member on another forum was kind enough to put together a pdf showing the functionality of the Music Box option.
    I figured some here would enjoy this as well...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • mlw34mlw34 Posts: 4
    Thank you that was very useful.
    By the way I have about 40 albums on my HD. Does anyone know any easer way to find a specific song on the HD besides going down album by album (by turning the knob on the dash) and then going down song by song in the chosen album?
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Posts: 20
    I have tons of iTunes songs that I bought on iTunes (not burned from CDs). Limitations of iTunes are obvious now that I'm trying to get the songs onto my Music Box! Is there any way other than by burning CDs in iTunes? Assuming not, I'm going to go buy some CDs and start burning. Does anyone know if I can use CD-RWs, so that I can reuse the same CDs, or will the player in the car only play CD-Rs, not CD-RWs?

Thanks!
  • justg0justg0 Posts: 70
    Search on the web - there is a company that makes a virtual cd-rom driver, which when used with iTunes will produce mp3 files right on your hard disk. So you do not need to burn physical CDs.
  • eunos33eunos33 Posts: 1
    Hello Guys, I have noticed that my center control panel (the one with the a/c radio etc) turns off a couple of minutes(sometimes seconds) right after I turn on the car. All of the panel goes black(unless I have the lights turned on). The bose radio continues to sound, but I cannot control anything from the center console(change stations,turn volume up or down etc) I can change the system from the steering wheel but I would like to know if there is something more than to take the car to the infiniti dealer. I have checked all the fuses, removed the radio a couple of times and changed the electric panel but it still continues going black. I noticed that as soon as the panel goes black, the a/c turns on automatically but since I have no controls over the a/c I cannot turn it off or lower it. If someone can help me I will be very thankful.

BTW my car's warranty is over because it has over 67,000 its a 2003 G35 Coupe 6M/premium
  • alfster3alfster3 Posts: 25
    Forgive my ignorance.
    I understand that music cannot be transferred to the HD music box from a CF card. I can go buy some CF cards and play music directly from the card. Seems a little inefficient. But, my question is, how do I get the music from my computer's hard drive to the CF card?
    I realize there is probably a simple answer to this, but the only experience I have with CF card is in my digital camera.
    Thanks.
    alfster3, you will need a CF card reader, it allows you to read and write to the CF card just like a hard drive, it gets a drive letter when you plug it in. Then you can use Windows explorer and just drag and drop folders or songs onto the CF card.

The reason you can't copy files is simply that Infiniti doesn't want to deal with RIAA or some similar group of imbeciles that are still wasting their time trying to curb music theft, it's simply taking the safest route by only allowing you to rip CD's. Seems to shut RIAA up enough, but I bet if they let you copy MP3's then there would be lawsuits.

If you have MP3's and no CD you are allowed to burn the MP3 to an audio CD and then the music box will rip that. your perfectly within your rights and it's a function iTunes and windows media both support.
  • jagguarjagguar Posts: 25
    Eunos, did this problem just start? After everything goes black, are you not able to get it to come back until you restart the car? I would say it sounds like a problem with a controller somewhere. I would take it to an auto electrical guy and have him diagnose it. A diagnosis typically costs about $65 - $75. Let him find the problem for you and a price to fix it. Then call a dealer and find out what the part (assuming he wants to replace a part) actually costs. Also, something I've learned is that when you call a dealer for a price for a part, let him give you a price and then ask for a discount. They'll usually drop the price 10%- 15%. Also call around because different dealership offer the same damn part for different amounts.
  • alfster3alfster3 Posts: 25
    Thanks. I thought it would be easy. I'll go ahead and get a CF reader and a couple of CF cards. Still think this is an inefficient way to get music on the music box. But, I'll jump through the hoops if it is all above board.
    I have to hit the record button to start recording to the drive.
    Do I have to make sure I hit record before the first song starts, or does it start back at the beginning of a song once I hit record?

I haven't played with it yet. :blush: