Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Audio Questions

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Yeah, there is only one way to add songs to the drive... but to call this entire option a disappointment is a stretch, to say the least.
    A CD-R costs maybe $0.03... a whopping 3 cents.
    Throw a disc into your PC, and rip a music CD from your MP3 files and then toss it into your car's CD player.
    I agree that this is not the easiest approach, but it's not exactly difficult or that time consuming either.
    The CD player rips songs to the drive 4 times faster than listening speed and you can listen to other sources, including the MusicBox itself, while recording.
    Stop at a destination while recording, who cares... it starts up and corrects anything it needs to the second you restart the car.

And.. you do have a AUX input. Throw an IPOD on that puppy and your MP3 worries are over.
    The MusicBox feature is great for those CDs I listen to all the time and want to have on hand, without loading up the changer or those stupid visor CD holders.

I love the option, think it's worth every penny, and would get it again without any hesitation.
  • I'm going from memory, but I believe that it has been my experience that you can rip a cd into the Music Box and listen to a different source, including the music box, at the same time.

Insert CD
    Hit Record / or let autorecord start
    Change source
  • kb124kb124 Posts: 60
    My wish would be to allow MP3s to be transferred to the Music Box Harddrive. If I had that, I wouldn't actually even need all the other input sources (not that I would request removing them). But with the available harddrive space, you could store a huge number of MP3s on it.
  • Can anyone help me with this error I'am having with my cd changer. Is there an easy fix to this?
  • Hello,

Does anyone know if an after market ipod is available for the 2007 G35X? I would like to find a system that would allow me to use the factory stereo to control and read (on screen) my 3rd generation ipod.
    Any ideas?

Dave.
  • I have a new 2008 G35 and have the iPod connected and everythiing is working just fine .... except the speed of accessing the menus. I have the larger iPod with a lot of artists for example andif I want to get to an artist that starts with S for example it takes for ever to scroll down to it. Is there a short cut or can the scroll speed be increased?

If I need to do this on the iPod itself then the iPod does increase in speed and I get there very quickly.

Thanks
    MarkH13
  • alronalron Posts: 13
    I'm also very dissapointed with the Bose Studio on Wheels. I had a 2003 G35 and the sound also sucked. When I bought the 08 I was expecting an upgrade and I got it with the premium package which includes the Bose. I think that my old folks base Buick sounds better-...That's the only negative thing about the car. The XM sounds like AM and the CD's and FM lsound ike a cheap boombox placed in the dash...
  • Musky,
    Did you find an answer to the CD Error FO problem? The same happened to us tonight when my daughter was loading a CD into the unit on our 2003 G coupe.
    Appears that it got stuck or jammed or something. The unit makes clicking sounds and then the "CD Errror FO" message appears.
    Any help that you or others can provide would be appreciated.
    Any help
  • I have Creative Media player. No iPod (expensive). Personally I like my Creative media player much better than iPod. Do not want to debate that here. But, is there any kind of adapter that will alllow me to connect the Creative Player to ipod adapter in the 08 G35?

Also can someone please post, if they can see videos on the navigation screen from iPod Video. May be that may encourage me to but iPod. I have large MP3 collection and I am really tired on burning cd and then ripping it again in G35 Media box, 8 to 10 songs at a time... :sick:

Thanks
    I can see movies on my Navi screen, played from my Ipod Touch.
    I use the Apple A/V Data cable to do so.

The car must be in park with the E-Brake set for video to appear.
    Resolution is very good though. :)
  • Thanks You,

I assume you are using the Infiniti controller or steering controller to operate iPod. Also can you control, play of Mp3s on iPod while vehicle is in motion like CDs or Mediabox?
  • shov8shov8 Posts: 87
    I have an '08 with the integrated iPod controller. It works via the Infiniti controller wheel, the steering wheel input, and touchscreen. It's quite nice actually and is very similar to controlling the iPod. You can select Artists, Songs, Albums, etc., and normally I use the steering wheel controller.

The only cons I can think of are (a) to display video you must use the A/V cable connection (and the e-brake on in park), and (b) the interface doesn't have the "Shuffle Songs" command on the menu, but you just press the RPT button on the center console like normal and it works.

Alternatively, if you have a large pre-ripped MP3 collection that is not on an iPod, you can always copy them to CompactFlash and play them from there, although that does have some limitations (max files per card is 512, etc).

kc
  • I have a 2003 G35 and evidently have a CD stuck in the player. I keep getting the error message "error FO". Is there any way to get it out without taking it to the dealer and buying a new or remfg'd radio?

Thanks Dave
  • Hi my name is dave did you ever get an answer to how to fix this problem without taking it to a dealer and buying a new radio or re-manufactured radio, Everytime I go to the dealer it's a minimum of $500.00

dcurtis5426 @comcast.net
  • I love the iPod interface on my new 2008 G35x, but I hate that the cable it so long! I have to wrap it around a few times so that it will fit in the console and the console will close. I would love to find a cable that is 3 or 4 inches long. Does anyone know if these exist? What about spare cables if this one ends up bending too much and not working? I suspect Infiniti charges something crazy for them, so I would like to find a cheaper alternative (e.g. Radio Shack). Thanks very much!

Jeff
    If you find anything out please pass it along - the cable drives me crazy too! You need to loop it round and round just to be able to jam the iPod in the console. I think it was designed that long so you could place the iPod outside the console but I like keeping mine inside since I leave it in the car for days on end.

The adapter piece looks like a connector from the back of a car radio and as such there might be another compatible connector out there from a car radio manufacturer (Clarion, etc).

Also, I have noticed that the iPod interface will drain the iPod battery down completely if left alone for a day. What happens is that when I turn the car off the iPod is paused (same thing if I just turn the audio off), and it just stays in that state until the battery drains out. The iPod doesn't turn off like normal, maybe because of the cable connection?? Anyone else experience this. I have an 80GB 5.5G iPod (video iPod).

kc
  • Yes, I noticed that too and was about to call Infiniti as I thought the feature was supposed to "charge the iPod battery" - apparently it only does that when the car/audio is on. I have a 4GB iPod nano and a 08 G35X.
    Well, it does charge when the car is on - but then drains the battery when off HA! It's a ying-yang type thing :)

It doesn't bother me much, except for those few times when I want to use the iPod and it's dead because it's been in the car for a day or two. I could always disconnect it overnight but I'm lazy. It really seems like Infiniti envisioned us plugging in/out the iPod each time we drive the car; from the long cable to leaving the iPod paused so that we can resume play as soon as we are out of the car. Still, I do like the interface alot better than just plugging in the A/V jacks :)

kc
  • I would like to build a cradle so that I can just pop it i nwhen I get in the car. But for that, I need a really short (1"-2") cable. I just don't know is this is a specific cable to Infiniti or a standard type of interface.
    Does this help in your search?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/CablesiPod.aspx

Various types on iPod connectors.
    Those are just regular cables or docking connection cables, although the one with the retractable loop is exactly what I have in mind - if it had the right connection. I searched some online places for iPod hookups by manufacturer and didn't find anything that matched. I will upload a pic of the connector if I can, but it definitely looks like an adapter that goes to a car audio receiver.

kc
    I see. I have the 2007 and this is quite different.

Hope you find it.
  • psunowpsunow Posts: 17
    I purchased a 2007 G 35X with Prem and Nav and wood options about 4 months ago....great car. I just purchase a Ipod Nano 3rd generation and wanted to know if anyone has used the AUXILIARY INPUT JACKS to input an IPod into the radio? If yes, what type of cables were purchased. I read somewhere that one needed special Apple cables in order for this to work.
  • You should just be able to purchase a cable with a 3.5 mm jack on one end and RCA connectors on the other (Radio Shack - Click here to see example cable). The 3.5 mm part goes into your Nano and the other end into the Aux jacks. You just need to choose the Aux input on the radio and start up the Nano to listen to your tunes. You may need a special cable if you want to watch video via the Aux jacks but this can only be done with the car in Park (I think). I have my 2nd gen iPod attached this way and listen to my music all the time without a problem. You need to change the music selection via the iPod - no controls available through the car (the 08 G has this feature).
    I've also read that you can use a regular 3.5mm to RCA A/V cable (three output cable for audio and video) instead of the (more expensive) Apple cable. The trick is that the output has been swapped around: the video is on the red, the right channel is the white, and the left channel is the yellow. Same signal just on different lines. I can't find a cable around the house to confirm though.

This only applies to viewing video though, not when you are just playing music.

kc
    KC is correct.
    The only time you need to worry about special Apple cables is with the iPod Touch.
    I wanted video output and only found the special $50- Apple cable to work for me.

Video looks great and sound is perfect, and since the cable was a B-Day gift... all the better. :P
  • jennmajennma Posts: 40
    The only thing I have to add is to make sure that the volume on the i-Pod is set to the maximum when using it this way. I've had no problems using i-Pod in my 07 6MT in this way with cables from Best Buy.
    True... if you're hooking into the headphone jack, you need to adjust your output volume.
    Using the iTouch Cable, it hooks into the larger flat dock connection port, and volume is not affected by the iPod's volume setting.
    This depends on the cable being used.
  • jennmajennma Posts: 40
    Better clarify that I meant for using RCA A/V cables for a 1st generation nano.
  • rag133rag133 Posts: 25
    Is there a way to search songs in Music Box when driving? When on long highway drives I cann't do much with Music Box since search is greyed out until the car is stopped. Kind of ruins the purpose of having thousands of songs for a long trip like that if you can't work with them when on long highway stretches.

Is there a way to allow search while driving like this?