Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Acura TL

Comments

• ilrndudeilrndude Posts: 14
    I noticed the 08 TL has a transmission of Japanese origin whereas the 07 TL has a transmission of American origin. Does anyone know why the switch for the 08s? (I am refering to TLs with AT.)

I'm considering buying an Acura TL for the first time.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    I can keep my automatic in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th as the circumstance warrants, and I don't have to feather the clutch to keep rolling smoothly in heavy slow traffic.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Feathering a clutch in traffic is a lot less stressful for me than it would be to have to experience a permanant bucket of slush in an automatic transmission. And getting a 2007 TL automatic loaner for 4 hours while my car was in for inspection and service last week reinforced that position. It is unfortunate, IMO, that the automatic transmission remains one of Acura's weak links (compared to say BMW). On the other hand, Honda's (S2000) and Acura's (TL) manual transmissions and gearboxes are highly commendable.

So, paddle shift away, but I'll take the occasional feathering any day. As would my wife if we could ever figure out a way to retrofit a 6-speed manual into our MDX.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    In circumstances where I have to feather the clutch, you'd have to feather the brake.

In the hopes of being able to get the last word in on this ;) I just want to comment that the point of my post is not to argue about which is easier to drive, but just to say that MTs are not as troublesome in traffic as people like to think. :shades:
    I have driven manual and automatic in heavy traffic. In heavy, slow (city) traffic with a manual, I have to feather the clutch, throttle, and brake to keep from tapping the bumper in front of me.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    "throttle"? :blush: Clutch by itself works fine for me in slow traffic. I do cover the brake, of course.

The only thing annoying about manuals in slow traffic is if the traffic is bouncing between 2 gears.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Feathering a clutch in traffic is no big deal.... until that traffic becomes several miles of crap which only allows very slight movements forward, for hours on end.
    Then, the clutch leg gets quite tired.

I miss my manual and wish my G35x offered it. :(
    The throttle is the pedal to the right of the brake. Unless your idle rpm is set way too high, I doubt very much that you don't use it.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The only thing annoying about manuals in slow traffic is if the traffic is bouncing between 2 gears.

That's exactly what made me reluctantly give up manual trannys several years ago - the commute crawl was just too much. :cry:
  • Polished metal metallic is a new color for 2008. Anyone happn to know what the paint code is? Thanks.
    Polished Metal Metallic is not a very common color.
    It's listed as an available color on the Canadian site, but not on the Acura's US site.
    Looking through available models throughout the US though, I do find 08 TLs available in this color..... so who knows.

The Canadian site is lousy, and I haven't been able to pin point the paint code through Google either.
    A quick call to a dealership may be your best advice.
  • I have an "Alabaster Silver Metallic" 08 TL. Where would I find the "paint code"?
  • I find that when I put a large bag of groceries on the front seat of my 2008 TL I get a warning message and "e-mail" about the airbag being off or the seatbelt not being fastened (I forget right now exactly how it's worded), but the manual indicates that the air bag does not turn on until the weight of the load reaches 65 lbs.

Is there any way to stop this message from displaying, such as by adjusting the weight that triggers this message?
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    It would be easier, and probably safer, just to put the lap belt around the grocery bag. It might stop the eggs from flying all over the windshield during a sudden stop.
    The seatbelt could also be hooked behind the seat cargo - as long as that "seat cargo" is not human.
    Is there any way to stop this message from displaying, such as by adjusting the weight that triggers this message?

That's there as a safety switch so if a child (or anyone else under 65 lbs) is placed in the seat, the airbag won't go off and kill them in the evet of an accident.
    The only way to avoid it is to place your groceries somewhere else.
    Attaching the seatbelt will definitely take care of the seatbelt audible alarm.
    It will do nothing for the airbag message though.
    That is caused by the weight sensor. :blush:
    Oh. Yeah, I knew that. Duh. :blush:

:P
  • sloquarksloquark Posts: 5
    I am considering a TL-S but the center console pushes against my right leg. For short distances (test drives) it's not too bad but I am afraid that will bother me after long stretches at the wheel. For those of you who have owned this body style for awhile, do you find this a problem? Since I am of average height, I would think others would have encountered this problem. Thanks.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    I owned an '05 TL and I am 6'3". There is a comfortable driving position in there for you. The seat is almost infinitely adjustable. I had no problem on extended trips.