Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Extended Warranties

Comments

• i have a cpo 2004 540i, and i bought the extended warranty, so i am covered through mid-2010 or so. i was wondering if water leaks are covered?

it rained recently, not much and just a couple of days, but when i went out to my car the driver's side floor mat was soaking wet! has anyone else experienced this? i was shocked and dismayed at this situation - the car only has 24k miles on it.

any ideas?

thanks,
    brian
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Typically that implies a clogged sunroof drain. While I doubt it is covered under your extended warranty (but it never hurts to ask), it should take the dealership all of five minutes to clear so this isn't going to be a high $$$ repair..

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • thanks, that's a relief if that's what it turns out to be. hope so. love the car otherwise, has been a gem. oh, and it's actually a 545i, not 540i.....not sure what i was thinking on that.

it does have slight rattle/creaky noises when driving at slower speeds and the windows are up, seems to be coming from windows/doors. seems to go away at higher speeds (or maybe other sounds drown it out) or if windows down slightly. i have no clue what that's about or how to fix if possible.

best,
    b
  • I have a 2002 540 wagon and the windows have always rattled. They finally admited that they knew about this problem but had no fix for it.
  • just bought new 2008 528

I was offered an extended Maintenance upgrade for $3895.00 which would cover up to 100,000.
    what is everyone else being offered???
    Nearly $4,000 for extended maintenance? Yikes! I'm thinking that's nearly twice as high (if not more) than any price that I've seen to date. Personally I'd take a pass.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • called around even further

lowest price for extended maintenance on 2008 528 was $2295 extending it to 6 years/100,000 miles

lowest price for extended warranty was $2495 also 6/100,000
  • hi. i have a 2005 530i with 50,0000 miles on it. my bmw dealership in long island (hassel) quoted me $4100 for fidelity's 4-year 48,000 mile warranty. didn't mention a deductible. anyone know if there's a better deal out there? thanks.
  • my email is stephant@yahoo.com if anyone has any tips/leads. thanks!
    Yikes, $4,100 for 48,000 miles?!? Yeesh, you might as well throw that money into the East River. I'm thinking that you've got better than 90% odds that if you bank that money and then pay for any repairs yourself, you'll still have at least half of that money by the time you roll over the 100,000 mile mark. Said another way, SELF INSURE!

Another option (that I wouldn't pursue either) is to have your dealer CPO your car. I'm thinking that this would cost about $2,100, and I'd personally trust BMW way more than any aftermarket warranty.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Just bought CPO 2005 530i with 41,000 miles. It came with BMW's standard CPO warranty that goes through October 2010 or 100,000 miles. BMW sells an extended maintenance warranty for approx $2800. That's costing $85/month for the remaining 2.7 years. I won't hit the 100K mileage mark before this.

Is the extended maintenance warranty worth it? What's the normal cost for routine service maintenance (oil/fluids, filters, brakes, tune up, etc)?

DF - So California
  • All extended warranties and maintenance plans have profit and commissions included in their price. The average driver with an average car with average maintenance and warranty work will always come out ahead on average without extended plans. Potential extended warranty and maintenance work cost me $1400 on my 2002 530i SP 5 speed before 100k miles.
  • I have been reading some of the posts in this forum this morning, and there seem to be some very knowledgeable folks who answer these questions, so am hoping to get some help on a couple of questions.

My father is the original owner of a 2001 BMW 530 with just under 40,000 miles. He is going to sell it, and I'm interested in buying it. He has purchased 1 year warranties twice now from BMW, which have since expired, and he's been told by BMW that he cannot purchase another.

If I purchase this car I will do so only if I can also purchase an extended warranty. I called my local BMW dealer to see if I could purchase a warranty from them, and they said I could only purchase it if the car had originally been purchased from them. That is not the case, so I believe I need to get a 3rd party warranty.

I've done some reading on purchasing extended warranties that cover both wear and tear, as well as mechanical breakdowns. Does anyone have any advice on reputable companies that I can get a quote from? Any advice on the length of the warranty I should get? Can I even get coverage for this type of vehicle and, if I can, is it even worth it (ie will I get nickle and dimed in the fine print and not qualify for repairs)?

Any advice or experience is most welcome.

Thanks!
    Many folks, myself included, would advise that you simply "self insure" by taking the money that you would otherwise spend on the warranty and set it aside for unscheduled repairs. While you may not make out on any one car, the betting is that over years that you are a car owner, you'll come out well ahead in the end.

FWIW, the last car that I bought the "extended warranty" on was my 1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTC 5-Speed, and the warranty didn't even come close to paying for itself. Following that car we've had a 1993 Ford Probe GT 5-Speed, a 1995 VW Passat GLX 5-Speed, a 1995 Plymouth Neon Sport 5-Speed, a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.8, a 1999 BMW 328i 5-Speed, a 2002 BMW 530i 5-Speed, and a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3.8. The grand total of the extended warranties that my wife and I didn't buy was somewhere just north of $15,000, and against that I can account for some $4,200 in unscheduled repairs. However, that isn't the whole story. Of those unscheduled repairs, almost $3,400 of them came after the extended warranties would have expired (i.e. on the far side of the 100,000 mile mark), and that means that had I paid the $15,000, I would have recovered maybe $800 in "free" repairs (and that doesn't even take into account that many of the warranties had a deductable).

I maintain that self-insuring is by far the cheapest way to pay for unscheduled repairs. Sure, you may not break even on any one car, but over the course of years and a parade of cars, you'll come out WAAAAY ahead paying for your own repairs.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dfrilotdfrilot Posts: 3
    It's going to be difficult and expensive buying a 3rd party warranty that's of any real value... e.g: reasonable deductible, good coverage, reliable company.

If you're buying the car from your father (the original owner) and you know he's kept up on normal maintenance, then I would not buy an extended warranty. You're probably buying the 530 at a favorable price - right? If so, take it to the dealer and have a complete service check done before you buy it. Split the service cost with your father... you both come out ahead.
  • petppetp Posts: 43
    Im considering buying out my lease on my '06 5 series and was thinking of CPO'ing it...which of course BMW charges you for. But after calling Geico last night to compare rates of buying a new car they said my insurance policy already covers my current car for 6 years/100K miles from the date of service for any mechanical problems (with a $250 deductible).

What does everyone think of this? any experience with geicos warranty? Im not concerned with any little thing that might go wrong, like a broken seat or something, Im mainly worried about a major repair...like an engine or tranny failure, which would be covered under geico's policy.
  • I am looking to buy a 2005 545i with 45K and plan to buy an extended warranty. The non-BMW dealer that has this car offered an extended warranty (not sure of the company offering this warranty) for $2600.

My credit union also offers an extended warranty from Old Republic and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this warranty company. I cannot find much reviews about this program online... is there any specific forum for such information.

Quote was $1651 for 4yrs/75k & $0 deductible
  • Hi Guys,
    Please help me!
    I am purchasing a 7 series used,deciding between CPO and from a 3rd party / dealer.

I am looking for the best deal, and found that CPO rarely covers the full car, + it has a deductible!

I am looking for a full list of available extended warranty companies out there which I can purchase warranty from:

It seems Geico includes warranty?? 250 deductible?
    What is Zurich? How much is their warranty? Can I purchase it myself?
    Does Costco insurance include warranty? AAA? State Farm? Allstate??
    I see CarMax offers insurance, I need to see how much$$

Please help with some extended warranty companies to cover my 7 series! Please note I am posting here because nobody is responding in 7series forums
  • Hi, guys: I am first time BMW owner. I just bought a 2009 BMW 528i for $48,500. the dealer rec extended warranty (7 yrs/100,000 miles) for $2550 to cover major breakdown. Is this worthy it?

What about road hazard tire plan for $950 to cover tire repair, auto armor plan for $795 to cover body, and key replacement plan for $199.

please help me out, thanks in advance.

JJ