Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Entourage Steering Vibration

hrngffcrhrngffcr Posts: 90
edited April 5 in Hyundai
Anybody out there with an Entourage having the steering wheel vibration/shake problems at 73-75 mph like some of the owners of 2006 Sedonas? Apparently more problems with LXs, but also some with EXs. Since vehicles are so similar, I want to see if reported problems with Sedona carry over to the Entourage.

Comments

• pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    Thankfully no. I have the 07 SE and push it right up to 100 with no issues. This is a sports car in minivan clothing...
  • burnieburnie Posts: 10
    My new Entourage has been at Planet Hyundai since Mon..it s Saturday...they replaced tires...Still shimmies...They think that it s a bad AXLE......How much can go wrong with a BRAND NEW VEHICLE???????????
    They want to replace axle with Factory Rep from Hyundai s axle ..he only has 1000 miles on his axle...HELLO I wanted a NEW CAR...not a new car with used parts on it....I will pray that they will take this back...I am 8 months pregnant..THIS is the last thing I need to worry about :lemon:
    yes it did...I m dealing with this issue for 3 weeks..they changed tires, and axle ..still feel it...2007 Entourage...
  • Same shimmey problem identified on the Sedona forums. Most were fixed with rebalanced of wheels/tires, but some had problems with a defective brake switch. On those were tires weren't the issue, the replacement of hte brake switch solved the problem. Worth asking your service advisor to look into, if they still haven't solved it...
  • I just bought a new Entourage last week. It has a couple of issues. First the remote for the automatic side doors seems to work intermittently. The dealer started to take the car apart to try and figure it out, but when I objected to not getting my car back for the weekend, they called corporate who told them to simply give me a new remote because that one was probably defective. So they have to order me one.

My other problem is a vibration that starts around 70 mph. By 80 mph, the steering wheel is practically shaking. They balanced the wheels and said they fixed it, but it actually feels worse than before they worked on it. I noticed a few other people who've mentioned a similar problem. Have you guys been able to get your problem resolved? If so, what needed to be done to fix it?

So I will be taking my new minivan back to the dealer for the second time in 2 weeks to try and get these problems fixed.
  • Not meaning to insult, but when operating those doors, several things have to be in place in order for them to open, I know, because I was slow to learn (even tho i consider myself a fast learner and am mechanically and technically competent...I think..my opinion) anyway.
    1.) The Transmission must be in PARK for the doors to OPEN, (i cant tell you how many times my rear passengers felt locked in)but, they will actually close in any gear, AND
    2.) The power door lock must be in the UNLOCKED position.
    3.) I'm not sure what the child lock levers do, I dont
    have kids.
    4.) and dont forget the Power switch in the ceiling consol, should be depessed in to be ON, i think.
    Wheel shimmy, I don't know, but they have rebalanced all four of my michelins, and it is much better, but there is still a shake or a harmonic signal around 75. I hope someone can figure this out....I'll bet its something weird like bad wheel castings, off center wheel studs, unbalanced rotors or off center rotors, off spec axle, or who knows what. It just ticks me off with as many posts about it on this site and the Kia site and other sites, that no one has found the cause. Lots of things seem to be ruled out (it happens on three different brands of tires Hongook,Michelin and Kumho ) Good luck
  • mommy03mommy03 Posts: 17
    I know, all of the things you mentioned have to be in place for the remote to work on the automatic doors. The dealer was actually able to replicate my intermittent problem and confirm that it really is real.

So you have the vibration at 75 mph as well? Does your Entourage shake worse over 80? I haven't been able to get it to over 80 often enough to see how serious a problem this is.
  • I know this sounds obvious, but make sure the dealer programs your new remote (fob) to your van. Our dealer just handed my wife her new fob, and we couldn't open the rear doors when we got home with it. Just a reminder. ;)
  • geogeo Posts: 23
    There have been a number of posts about vibration on the KIA Sedona board with the same problem. Mostly been solved using a newer, better wheel balance technique that uses lasers to check for tire AND wheel run-out. Some simulate pavement with a "road force" measurement roller. Machines can tell if tires can be balanced or if wheels are so far off they cannot be matched to tires.

Also some vibrations were seen in early Sedonas resulting from strut tower mounts being installed incorrectly. Hope this helps, you should not have to put up with any vibrations in a new van with new wheels and tires.

George in Wisconsin.
    Well. I m in the process of arbitration for the vibration..Hyundai is now saying it s a CHARACTERISTIC of the vehicle...The brochure says PREMIUM comfort..Well not so...the vibration goes thru the entire vehicle...if you can get the rear seatbelts to sit against plastic wall & get up to 70 the tapping to the metal will drive you crazy...& the booster chair sitting upright without a child in it will tap tap tap tap....I ll try to post once I get word from BBB...But PLEASE call corporate,,,the # is in your manual & COMPLAIN...OR they will continue to dismiss issue. If you read my previous post they have changed tires & axles & religned and rebalanced...Still Vibrates..HYUNDAI confirmed vibration as "CHARACTERISTICS" They know the DEAL :lemon:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Did you also report it to the NHTSA? I think they have a web site for complaints.

The better it's documented, the sooner it'll be fixed.

Anyone shopping for a new one make sure you do a high speed test drive to make sure your wheels and tires are well balanced.

-juice
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Posts: 90
    That it is a "characteristic" is BOGUS. I have driven my Entourage at 75 for many miles and have never (thankfully) had any of the problems that some have reported. I don't know if it makes a difference that our Entourage (Limited) was received by the dealer in October, so it was presumably not one of the first manufactured. Good luck in your fight. Report it to whatever agencies, etc you can.
  • pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    That it is a "characteristic" in this case is a GOOD THING! They are confirming there is a problem afecting some of the vehicles. Fortunately you and I are not one of them. They can sugar coat it all they want but in the end they will have to compensate the owner. Keep fighting and stay strong...Good Luck.
  • mommy03mommy03 Posts: 17
    Burnie,

How bad is your vibration? From your last message, I'm guessing your whole van shakes. Does it get worse the higher you get above 70?

My dealer actually had the nerve to tell me that since it's not legal to drive over 70 mph, he can't test it to that speed and therefore he can't fix it. I reminded him that the Entourage should be able to drive at speeds over 70 without vibrating, and I'm asking him to fix my vibration, not drive it over 70 mph. Nevertheless, all he did was rebalance the wheels. Does anyone here think this is an adequate argument for them to make? They only tested it to 60 mph.

The vibration isn't that bad - my husband doesn't seem to notice it. But at speeds over 80, you can actually see my hands shaking on the steering wheel. I'm trying to decide if this is just an annoyance I need to get used to or a serious problem with my new vehicle. I will look into calling corporate to complain. It doesn't sound like that will help though. My dealer claims not to have heard of any vibration issues with the Entourage.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Posts: 90
    The speed limit on the Indian Nation turnpike in Oklahoma is 75 mph. It has also been raised in West Texas to at least 75 mph, and it may have been raised to 80 mph. So it is legal in some places to drive over 70 mph (not that the dealership's argument made any sense or was legitimate anyway).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    File a complaint here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That's the Office of Defects Investigation.

If enough people complain and they see a pattern, Hyundai could be forced to do a recall, or at least a TSB to dealers. Who knows, maybe they can adjust their alignment specs a little or maybe the wheels aren't up to spec.
    They tried that too.in nv 65..But in California the interstate is 75mph...So I didnt except their LAME Excuse..My steering wheel was Horrible, then they replaced tires and balanced and re-aligned and that fixed 50% of vibration...Then they replaced axle still does it...The easiest way for me to explain the vibration is it feels almost like a flat tire at 70..the vibration/wobble. Anyway you want to explain it..The manufacture confirmed it at arbitration which I appreciated..."characteristic" of vehicle....Please Call Hyundai they will try to help you...Then take it to Arbitration..It s free....I didnt pay $27,000 to drive in a Jeep Wrangler..We have a newborn and my 4 year old said yesterday...Mommy the seat is shaking...She notices the vibration...at 4..I am waiting on the decision from BBB..But I did get JD Powers survey,,,& another one today from another agency...I can tell you that Hyundai tried to resovle issue with offers...But if I am gonna keep this for 10 years...I want a premium comfort ride as described in brochure. I test drove 2 other new Entourages that did the same thing...So a replacement of van was not acceptable..I will keep you posted..Hey do you feel the vibration in your legs & seat? Also sit in back seat & you may notice it goes thru out. even at 40mph
  • Some issues that many will miss, is the vehicle's brake rotors, these are often overlooked as an issue, and a simple turn on a brake lathe can fix the issue. From other experience it can also be caused by loose or broken motor and transmission mounts, there is a lot of torque applied to these mounts and this can also cause issues. From what I'm reading I would say there is a issue with the brake rotors, could be warped, or may not be strong enough to support the front axle weight, and needs to be redesigned.
  • wlovettwlovett Posts: 17
    I purchased a GLS 2 weeks ago. I noticed the vibration on the way home from picking up the vehicle. During the Test drive I never took it above 60mph.

I notice the shaking in the steering wheel at about 74mph. It gets progressively worse above 75mph. Its fine at 65-70mph. The shaking is not felt throughout the whole van, just from the steering wheel.

Has anyone determined if the build date has anything to do with the shaking/vibrations issues? I ask because the production date on my Entourage is 4/06. So I assume its one of the earlier vans produced. Does anyone have an Entourage produced recently that has the issue also?
  • jboehmjboehm Posts: 44
    I test drove a Limited yesterday that had a Mfg date of 4/06. I had the van up to 80 MPH and there was no shimmy/vibration at all (since reading the forums I am paying close attention to this). There is another Limited on the showroom floor with a Mfg date of 3/06.
This discussion has been closed.