Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Entourage Steering Vibration

Comments

• hrngffcrhrngffcr Posts: 90
    Just to add to the database of information, my Entourage Limited was built 6/06 and was delivered to the dealer I bought it from on 10/06. Fortunately mine has had none of the problems others have incurred, and has been virtually problem-free for almost 5,000 miles and several highway trips. I am having to have one tire pressure sensor/transmitter replaced, and the passenger-side power sliding door occaisionally will not latch the first time the door is closed.
  • wlovettwlovett Posts: 17
    I continued to have the shimmy so I took it to the dealer last week. They performed a balance and alignment. This did not fix the issue. The dealer has been very courteous and very determined to get the issue resolved.

So I scheduled another appointment for today. They found a Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin posted, # 06-50-013. This relates to an earlier post in this forum about using a special tire balancer. The technical bulletin states a two-plane dynamic wheel balancer is needed to correct the issue. Hyundai recommends the Hunter GSP 9700, which is a two-plane wheel balancer. My dealer found a local repair shop that has one and performed the balance today.

The balancer found 3 of my tires off balance that were not detected using the standard balancer last week. It appears to have fixed the issue, though I want to drive it for a week before making the final decision.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's very reassuring to hear about a dealer going this far for a customer.

Can you share their name? They deserve the credit.
  • mommy03mommy03 Posts: 17
    Is this service bulletin actually for the Entourage or another model Hyundai? I tried looking it up but couldn't find it. I asked my dealer to use the Hunter balancer, but his response was that he doesn't have one nor does any other dealer in the area. What was your problem like - did it vibrate only at high speeds or even at low speeds as well?
    The dealer is Tom Ahl Hyundai in Findlay, OH.

I was able to find the Techincal Service Bulletin online. Go to http://www.hmaservice.com and register for an account. This site is open to the public, it has some really great information. Once logged on, go to Service Information, choose your Entourage model, go to the TSB tab, Chassis, choose 06-50-013.

If you want, you can post your email address and I will send the service bulletin to you.

My shimmy started at 65MPH and progressively worse at higher speeds. At 75-80MPH the steering wheel would shake, I could feel a vibration in the seat and the center console would vibrate. These appear to have stopped after using the Hunter wheel balancer.
    I spoke to soon.

Using the two phase balancer helped but I still feel a slight vibration.

I fear the tires have a flat spot from sitting on the lot too long. I took it to the dealer for the 3rd time today. The agree there is a flat spot in the tires somewhere. They wanted me to drive it for 2000 more miles to see if the flat spot comes out. I did not agree, we are in the process of contacting the Regional Hyundai Rep. I would like the tires replaced. I will keep you posted on what they decide.
    Thanks for the link to the TSB. It was very helpful. Our situations sound almost exactly the same. I was about to give up on this whole thing, but this TSB will help immensely with the dealer. They kept treating me like I was crazy. I totally understand why you think they should replace your tires, but do you think the flat spot will go away with wear? And is it likely just one tire affected or all of them? I would doubt that I could get my dealer to replace my tires. Please keep us updated on what you end up doing.
    I just read the TSB more closely, and it seems to suggest that a flat spot on the tire is a temporary condition and therefore the car should be run for 10 minutes so that the flat spot does not affect their testing. Are they essentially saying that a flat spot is normal and doesn't need fixing?

By the way, how much better did the dynamic balancing improve your vibration problem?
    I think the flat spot may go away, but my arguement is why should I have to deal with this on a $20k van? I don't want to drive my brand new van another 2000 miles just to see if it goes away, that is unacceptable to me.

Its hard to tell how many tires are affected. The dynamic balancing helped quite a bit. The steering wheel would shimmy back and forth before the dynamic balancer. After the dynamic balancer its more of slight vibration throughout the entire van, still noticable but better than before.

I think Hyundai is going to point fingers at the tire manufacturer, Hanook in my case, and expect them to fix it. Waiting to hear back from Hyundai right now.
    Latest Update. My dealer decided to put tires from another Entourage onto mine. I was very grateful for them trying this since Hyundai has been slow to respond to the issue. My dealer used tires from an Entourage that was delivered just last week. I have an Entourage GLS, so mine came with the 16" Hankook's. The odd thing was my dealer received at least 3 GLS's last week, each came with 16" Kumho tires, not Hankook's.

So the dealer replaced my Hankook's with the Kumho's. Unfortuantly this did not help. The vibration is still there, especially at 75mph. By having the same issue with the Hankook's and Kumho's I am wondering if the issue is not with the tires but something else.

So now we are back talking with the Regional Hyundai Representative......
  • I had the dealer rebalance it, the 75 mph vibration seems to have gone away. However, I now have a new problem. At low speeds, pretty much as soon as the car starts moving, it feels rough,lumpy or lurchy, enough to be annoying. It smooths out at higher speeds and after warmed up I don't feel it at lower speeds then either.
    Your right about the dealer being unresponsive or in denial, and he is too far away to make it convenient to keep going in for such a minor, but still annoying problem, this is not how a BRAND NEW WORLD CLASS vehicle should act. Too bad Hyundai may loose its hard built improved reputation over tire, wheel or drivetrain vibration. And yes, my dealer calls me after each service to instruct me to leave excellent ratings when the factory surveys me, but often I dont get the factory survey. I have 17" alloy factory wheels with Michelin tires, my Hyundai Entourage's van build date is June 14 2006.
  • burnieburnie Posts: 10
    Sorry it took soo long to post. I now drive a new non-hyundai van..Hyundai purchased my van back last month after arbitration.Do the 3 times to dealer..Go thru arbitration...This is a Characteristic that Hyundai factory rep confimed here in Nv. So go thru BBB as your book says and have van looked at by Certified mechanic in your area,,,,Have proof other than your slips from dealer to prove that this cannot be fixed...or call California...but not customer service,,,go up up up..My battle is over and I am happy to say BYE BYE BYE..It took 4 months of aggrevation but like you all have said....When it happened at fast speeds, they balanced tires---then it would appear at lower speeds..I did research on other vehicles with shimmy or vibration and all other reported that after 2000-5000 miles after balance vibration would return.....that s what really scared me....I didnt want 10 yrs of vibrationg...& it vibrated chair, console rear seats,,,everything shook...So i can totally understand your posting & frustration....But I CAN SMILE AGAIN ! The flat spot in tires is a BS line & changing tires will not fix problem...It s an engineering defect as far as I am concerned...(a consumer) FYI Corporate told me that they did not have enough units out there to confirm vibration..So keep the fight & request to meet with factory rep & get with BBB asap..I will check back from time to time..so Mommy03 keep posting...
    What did you replace it with?

I ended up buying a Sienna.
  • jsrfjsrf Posts: 6
    OK,just got an 07 Entourage Limited this week. I have no high speed vibration, up past 80mph or more. However, we did notice a vibration under aggressive braking that felt like a common brake rotor warp. It is in the shop to have that looked at. The only thing I can say at this point is that a new vehicle should not have a warped brake rotor. I'll comment more once we get it back.

Additionally, our van has none of the transmission braking affect, wind noise, etc. that have been noted in these forums.

If they get the braking vibration fixed, I hope to be golden for a while. Love it other than that. Can't beat what they give you for the price. Got our Limited with DVD for $26.9K.
    Have them check the torque on the wheel lug nuts. They are probably overtightened.

Do it soon so the rotors don't wear unevenly. Take it easy on the brakes, at least, until you get that looked at.
  • josm100josm100 Posts: 30
    How agressive is the braking? ABS can cause a shudder if you apply the breaks realy hard. If the rotors were realy warped you should feel some effect even in light breaking. Good luck.
    No, this was a definite rotor issue. The braking I was describing was not agressive enough to actuate ABS, which you feel coming up through and pushing back at the brake pedal.They cut them and the problem has been resolved. No other high speed vibrations at all at this point.
    Well, for me, anyway, the rotors were cut, and the braking vibration went away. I was somewhat concerned after buying this van, because I saw so many posts about vibration. Hopefully it was a corrected issue, and mine is good to go, because we really like it alot.

Don't want to have to go through any lemon law disputes, as some other postings have indicated.

I am a car guy from way back, so, I understand that the uneven torque can cause rotors to warp. I always check with a torque wrench, myself.

The only thing I don't understand is how a new vehicle gets a warped rotor. Ours had 180 miles on it when we got it, as it sat on the lot for a few months before we bought it (The dealer cut us what I think is a good deal to get it off their inventory). Over the years, I have come up with the theory that any vehicle that has hot brake rotors hit with cold water risks warped rotors. I have noticed that after a car is taken through a car wash, the brakes develop a rotor shudder. Maybe it's just me, but that seems to be the case.

Anyway, knock on wood, I have experienced none of the unresolved issues posted in these forums with my Entourage.

With less than 600 miles on it, I got 22 mpg on a 100 mile trip, so even the mileage seems to be where it should be. Of course, I did it the old fashioned way by starting with a full tank, driving it, then refilling, and calculating the mpg myself.

So far it has been a real pleasure to drive, and I am hoping that in the long run, it is a good vehicle.
  • rhodesmanrhodesman Posts: 1
    $26.9 is a great price. I just got an out the door quote of $31.8 for a Limited w/ the Ultimate Package. Of course, that's still $10,000 less expensive than a comparable Sienna. :D
    That price is too high, IMO.

I saw Limiteds starting at $24,100 including freight.

That doesn't include a moonroof, so add a grand. The DVD player and stuff added another couple. Still, loaded ones were around $28-29k.

You cannot compare a loaded Entourage to a loaded Sienna because Toyota offers AWD, HIDs, laser cruise control, GPS Navigation, etc. Those are very pricey options that of course increase the price substantially.
  • thornsidethornside Posts: 2
    I've had the Entourage for about 6 months and haven't had any significant issues until recently. Now, when I hit 75 mph, the car vibrates excessively. The dealership took a look ate the rotors and there was some warping so they fixed that but it didn't help. They rebalanced the tires; didn't help. My wife is having the tires rebalanced somewhere else that has a 'more sophisticated' machinem so we'll see how that goes. I really don't want to be another burnie...
  • josm100josm100 Posts: 30
    A fix has been developed for this problem, there is a "more sophisticated" system called a Hunter something or other. Theres a sedona/entourage forum on www.ezboard.com that deals with the problem. Keep us posted on the progress though as I'm sure others may experience this problem. I'd be more upset about the dealership eating my roters ;)
    Hunter makes a balancing machine that puts a load on the tire, so it's more precise.

Keep us updated, please.
  • thornsidethornside Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delay. I took the van to the dealership and they paid for me to have a more sophisticated balancing done. That took care of it!
  • There is a TSB for using the Hunter machine now....see earlier posts for the link
  • vankingsvankings Posts: 16
    Could you please send me a copy of the Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin posted, # 06-50-013.
    I tried to use the link that you provided with no luck.

My e-mail is vankings@aol.com

Thank you, Walt
  • vankingsvankings Posts: 16
    I also have a vibration problem on my 2007 Entourage at 67 to 70 MPH. We purchased this vehicle on June 12, 2007 and reported this vibration condition to the dealers service department on June 14, 2007. After 10 trips to the service department, calls to Hyundai Customer Service, a certified letter to the CEO of Hyundai America, and a Case Number assiged to my complaint, the service department road tested my car and agreed that the car had a vibration problem. The dealer had no plans to road test this vehicle until I reported it to Hyudai America's Consumer assistance.
    My car has been in the service department 11 times now for a total of 28 days.
    Hyundai of America will take corrective action if they are aware of the problem. However, the dealer is not about to report your complaint to Hyundai. You have to report your complaint to Hyundai and demand that a Case Number be assigned. Without a case number there is no record of your complaint.
    If you write letters or Emails, keep a copy. Keep a record of all your dealings with the service department and Hyundai Representatives. You will have to have this information if you go to arbtration or use your State's Lemon Law.
    If you are having a vibration problem, report it to Hyundai and get it on record. If we all contact Hyundai we may get this problem resolved.

Call the Hyundai Consumer Assistance Center, 1 (800) 633-5151. Report your problem and request a Case Number.
    Solid advice. This applies to any brand of car, by the way.
  • My car has been in the dealers service department 12 times for a total of 33 days to resolve the front end vibration and pulling to the left problems. The dealer has now replaced and rebalanced 4 new tires, aligned the front end to the Hyundai Specs, road tested the car 3 times and verified that the vibration and pulling problems still exist.
    I have been very patient with Hyundai and gave them every oppertunity to resolve this problem. However, this problem is now very personal and I now consider this vehicle unsafe to drive if you are not familiar with the steering.

My wife was driving through a long right bend in the road at approximately 40 MPH. She relaxed her grip on the steering wheel and the car veered sharply to the left. This could have resulted in a major accident if a car was in the oncoming lane.

We have now filed for arbitration with the Connecticut State Lemon Law.

We are also discussing these problems with our attorney regarding a Class Action Lawsuit. :lemon:
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've been very patient.

Did Hyundai ever offer a replacement van? They can't all behave that way.
This discussion has been closed.