Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima vs Toyota Camry

13»

Comments

• madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    The revised 2010 Camry (due in early 2009) will feature the 2.5L I4 engine that is currently in the 2009 RAV4. It produces 179hp in that application.

That's only in the SE model. The I4 LE will only produce 169hp.

However, I'm interested in what Toyota will bring to the table with the introduction of this new engine. I may have to test drive one of these when they hit the sales floor in a couple of months. :)

However, the big IF on this car is will the SE model inherit good steering feel like a proper sport sedan? If it doesn't, It's still a lost cause. Throwing more power at a car with numb steering only leads to one thing.... a powerful car with numb steering. :P

If that's the case, I'll keep my Altima.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..a powerful car with numb stearing..."

With a powerful FWD you have only two choices, "numb" stearing or torque stearing that will yank the stearing wheel from your grasp.
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    With a powerful FWD you have only two choices, "numb" stearing or torque stearing that will yank the stearing wheel from your grasp.

Or, you can buy an Altima/Maxima which can be equipped with either a 270HP or 290HP V6, and feel no torque steer at all. However, the steering wheel is still fully responsive and gives you plenty of road feel as well. That's another option. ;)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "...and feel no torque stear at all.."

Many modern day FWD cars with high HP/torque engines are overcoming/alleviating torque stear by automatically derating the engine via DBW in low gear ratios or in an accelerating tight turn.

290HP...sometimes...
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I do agree both Lexus, Toyota, and Nissan use OEM Bridgestone Turanza's on their vehicles and they are indeed the crappiest tire on the market. I can vouch for that because my 2008 TL came with OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400 and they were the worst tire I have every had. Those tires were really loud, gave a bumpy and lousy ride quality to the vehicle and worst of all, anything above 50 mph gave terrible shimmy/vibrations through the steering wheel and seats of the car. Had a front wheel alignment done and still had the vibrations. Also, these tires gave virtually no traction or grip in wet weather. I wouldn't want to even imagine what they are like in snowy weather. Contacted bridgestone and was able to make a deal and have the top of the line Bridgestone serenity's put on the car. Only got Bridgestones because that was the only way we could get a deal because the OEM's where practically brand new with only about 2000k miles on them. THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!! The vibrations stopped at higth speeds and they are a lot quieter than the OEM Turanza's. The serenity's are nice but they are a really expensive tire (for a Acura TL they are about $245 a tire). Would never have Bridgestones on a sedan ever again. Better off with Michelin, Goodyear, or Yokies!!

Nissan has finally gotten their act together and are starting to put Michelin Primacy's on all versions of the altima except the SE which has the crappy OEM Turanza's EL400 still. While the Primacy's aren't the best tire they are ten times better than the OEM Bridgestone Turanza's. If you get a camry or a lexus opt for the OEM Michelin Energy's if you can rather than the OEM Bridgestone Turanza's. The Michelin Energy's isn't a great tire either but it is the better of two evils. Avoid OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400 at all cost!!!!!!
13»