Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge,Ford,Chevy------who wins?

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    I drove next to an GM/Izuzu heavy duty truck the other day. The diesel motor, in comparison to a Navistar or Cummins is exceptionally quiet. So much so, they may have to sweeten it up a bit to satisfy the cravings of the light truck market segment. It may make 300 hp, but if you have to floor it to make anyone notice....
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    ha! its funny but you're right. I have a couple of friends who admittedly bought a powerstroke for one simple reason: "It sounds so cool!"
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    Moparmann,

The rules have changed but the first rule hasn't:Ford is the truck leader. They haven't changed styles "each year" to keep up. Keep up? Last time I checked keeping up for Ford means maintaing number 1.
    Don't misinterpret me; Dodge has made VAST improvements during the past decade and I think it was great for the other two. It does add to the mix. Trust me, I own all three for our firm and the Rams have held their own.
    Chevy is in the biggest need for a good shot in the arm if they want to stop the bleeding. Boy,that strike couldn't have hit them at a worse time.
    maintaining. Damn I knew I should used that spellcheck!!!!!!!!!
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    I agree, I think GMs supply problems are still repercussions of the strike. very possibly some quality or mechanical problems are due to the scramble to set up the factories after it was resolved.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    First off let me say that I have no particular loyalty to any particular brand. The only truck I've ever owned was a used 1986 Jeep Cherokee. Now that I have a house and live in the country in New Hampshire, I decided I needed a truck. And my wife wants a horse (and trailer). So I entered the pickup market.
    I looked at the Ford and the Dodge, and testdrove the Tundra and the Silverado (Z71). If the Toyota weren't 95% fullsize I may have bought it. I have owned Ford, Dodge, and Chevy cars and found that the Chevies had the best quality (always started and ran - not necessarily the shake-rattle-paint quality). So you can see I'm going to say I'm buying a Chevy Siverado 1500 - 4x4, ext. cab, Z-71, w/5.3L engine. Why? It has the largest interior, for 2000 - the 5.3 makes 285hp and I believe has better mpg than the large (same power range) Ford and Dodge engines, and it has Autotrac instantaneous 4wd as an option. Hopefully GM has most of the bugs worked out after a year of production.
    May I ask how much it cost?
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    horse and trailer? I'd go 3/4 ton....
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    I haven't purchased my Silverado yet, so I don't have a price. I want it before winter comes as I have a wholly inadequate-in-the-snow '98 Camaro. I am going to the closest Chevy dealer, and want to order it for near invoice. If they want more than the 3% Holdback from GM, I'll tell them I'm going to a AAA or Costco Warehouse Club dealer, or even on the Internet - I think there's a place "invoice.com" or something. I'm going to try the last-day-of-the month factor also.
    I won't be pulling a horsetrailer much, and estimate the max. wt. to be around 3000lb. So the 1500 should be fine. I want to keep the truck for a longtime, and I just couldn't live with the 12mpg people are getting from the 6.0L in the 2500.
    The gas mileage won't be any better when yanking a heavy trailer. I also seriously doubt that 3,000 pounds will be the limit. You might want to do more research in fifth-wheel trailers and reconsider a 3/4 ton. If you want to keep this truck over time-it'll be hard without changing a fair amount of bearings and the like on stressing a half-ton on big jobs like a horse trailer.
  • smsmith1smsmith1 Posts: 2
    I've been doing the "Truck Hunting" thing and bouncing back and forth between the Big 3. Chevy was a nice ride and had good pickup (no pun intended) but wouldn't deal less than 6% over invoice and wanted to make the difference up in trade allowance. Ford looks cool, but didn't have the power of the Chevy and offered even less for the trade. So went for the Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab, 5.2L V8. Basically just driving to and from work, and doing those weekend projects when you need to haul stuff. Good choice or not. Rebates and dealer incentives played a factor in choice. I did this all through the internet, and even got financing through the internet which was lower than banks or credit unions in the area. Any comments.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    Rebates and dealer incentives affect the price, and price can make a good choice into a bad choice, or vice versa. You looked at the big picture, so you probably made a good choice also.
    Where did you go for financing-just curious. My other question is how much did Dodge compare price wise to the others? Ford and Chevy also have rebates and incentives--maybe other dealers would have helped?
    Oh, yeah, what kind of trade did you have?
    Did you have some extra time at the Chevy dealer waiting for new brakes?
  • dave40dave40 Posts: 582
    That recall was for the older models not the 99s
    I want to reinvogarate this great topic by bashing the following: Dodge and GM (like there is any real difference between Chevy and GMC). Now thaT Toy-O-Truck has made a full-size--they will be bashed by me as well. See, inclusion is a great thing!
    Tim,
    Driving in a bow-tie? Wouldn't you rather be driving sheep?

Serious matter: How many guys today driving those pretty ;) Dodge sheep had trucks prior to the re-design?? Let alone guys who actually drove those butt-nasty ones before the new girl friendly style?
This discussion has been closed.