Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mvw1977mvw1977 Posts: 2
    Read my last post. Check the water pump propellor.
  • The light comes on because you need brake fluid. Same thing happened to me, the tank is of cousre under the hood in the very back, and its thats number four i believe.
  • I have a 1999 tdi, which by the way has died on my three times in the last week, so you have something to look foward to, but mine was starting to slow, and it was the mass air meter, its become such a common problem they started selling them re-conditioned, because its a 400 dollars part plus installation, luckily my brother is a vw mechanic, lucky for me!!! But I didn't know what was wrong with it for like a year until it got so slow I was going like 55 on the freeway.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Hi a very close friend has a 2000 bug and for some reason the horn does not work the fuses all look good any ideas ?? .. Thanks Matt
  • jowilkijowilki Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Volkswagen Beetle and for the past few weeks, when I start it up after a night of sitting, it will make a loud humming type noise from under the hood. It goes away after 3-4 minutes. It doesn't make the sound if I have driven it recently, only after it sits over night. It starts up fine other than that sound. Any idea of what it could be?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    mnf - you should be able to diagnose what is going on. i imagine you could check the operation of the horn by finding the wire leading to it (I presume there is only one, and the case of the horn is grounded). perhaps running a wire from the + (positive side) of the battery carefully to that wire will confirm if the horn is infact operational or not. you want to take care that you don't ground out the wire to the body of the vehicle which would cause a short circuit.

presuming the horn is operational, then the problem may be the switch in the steering wheel. if not that it could be something they call the "clock-spring" which is the device that keeps electrical continuity to stuff mounted on the steering wheel (like airbag and horn switch, and cruise control or radio controls if they exist there, etc), as the wheel is turned clockwise and counter-clockwise.

another thing that could be done is to disconnect the horn and connect a volt meter (Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes etc sells them) to the wire going to the horn and the frame (ground). Then you could tell if the horn switch is providing power to the horn when it is depressed or not.

a horn is something I would obtain as a used part from an auto salvage shop. if the issue is the horn switch or clock spring, you might want to consult a repair shop. I'm not sure that is a DIY project.
  • shelly7shelly7 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Did you ever get any information on the stuck in park problem? I have a 2000 Automatic that i just purchased and it started it on the second day we had it. It does it and then it doesnt do it. I am scared to drive the dang thing but really need some information.

Shelly Pitts in Oklahoma
  • vanesakvanesak Posts: 1
    I had this same problem and found out it was the brake light switch. It was about $70 to repair at dealership.
  • All-
    I have an oddball problem with my wife's 02 beetle. I went to rotate the tires, and the passenger side rear tire has this strange diagonal wear pattern. I'm thinking that it was just a badly banalced tire, but I also suspect the bearings. Does anyone out there know of a way to check the bearings without having to remove the brake calipers and rotor?
    Thanks!

- Matt
    :confuse:
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    Diagonal tire wear is usually caused by misalignment aggravated by insufficient rotation and low inflation pressure.

Hope this helps.
  • jl1jl1 Posts: 2
    Good luck with that, I've had mine replaced twice and it is happening again.
  • msalmonmsalmon Posts: 1
    I have. I did it the same way I changed my Mustang's speakers and they are still working after two years with out any problem. The speaker have a positive and negative just like any other speaker. I don't know what the circuit city guy is talking about.
  • bugmebugme Posts: 1
    Whenever I start my car, the blue (cool) light is initially on. The minute that I take my emergency break off, the light turns to red and it blinks on and off for aproximately 3 miles. Once i reach this distance, the light goes off. Any suggestions?
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    Is the coolant level low in your car ?
  • jveazeyjveazey Posts: 1
    There is constant static on AM on the radio. No static on FM or when a CD is being played. Static is present with the engine running or off. Appreciate any help or ideas.
  • tdi guytdi guy Posts: 17
    I took my 2004 NB TDI to Wallace Volkswagen in Bristol, TN as the purge valve lever in the fuel neck broke. Wallace said there was nothing to fix as my car didn't come with one. Sure that I hadn't imagined having one for 12 months, I called VW Customer Service to get some help. They called after two days to say there was nothing to fix as my car didn't come with a purge valve. Incredulous, i asked how they determined that, and they said they spoke with the service manager at Wallace, who in turn said there is no lever to replace. Now, this is the same service manager who keeps trying to change my oil every three thousand miles as if it were a 2.0 Liter gas engine.

I long ago came to the conclusion that Wallace can't service TDI's. However, I was disappointed that VW Customer Service can't figure out what comes standard on the cars they sell. Am I just having a bad day, or is VW Customer Service a waste of time?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    I know this is off topic, but can someone jog my memory as to where reverse was located on the original Beetle. I owned a 1954 Bug--bought in 1957--. Was reverse--push down and pull back--next to second or was it push down and up, next to first gear? I think it was next to second, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
  • bugged2bugged2 Posts: 1
    As soon as I saw my beetle I fell in love, it just fits me. He is a 99 and has caused me a world of problems, my sun roof only closes half of the time, it has no pick up, the headlights and tail lights need to be replaced often , the clear coat is peeling and the engine light never shuts off and they can't figure out why. I am starting to think I got a lemon instead of a lime.My question is did I get a defective vehicle or should it be falling apart due to the mass production oversees.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    You need to give us more information. How many miles on the car?
  • pippipippi Posts: 1
    So I'm having a bit of an issue. I have a 2000 Beetle and my trunk keeps randomly popping - in the parking lot, driving down the road, when I'm in it, when I'm not in it -- you get the point. I think it might be that my key is busted and constantly doing it, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, the dealer said it will cost over $200 to get a new key? Is that seriously how much it costs? That's insane.

-Tired of pouring money into cars :cry:
  • mylemonmylemon Posts: 2
    believe it or not...Pep Boys only charged me $5 for the labor and changed the light at whatever the cost was (about $3)...Pep Boys has been great for this kind of thing.
  • mylemonmylemon Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem. I think the dealership fixed it once, but in a few weeks, it was back to static. If you find out the answer, please let me know.
  • parker8parker8 Posts: 1
    I have a 2.0, leaked oil out of the front oil sending unit, the brown one.... I replaced it. Its still leaking a little oil and now the oil light will come on, go off and somtimes stay on. I took it to a shop, they were mind boggled, they think its the rear main seal and/ or the oil pan gasket. Which i doubt cuz it doesnt leak when its sittin, just when runnin. I heard 2.0 's like to spill oil out the back of the valave cover gasket which is above the rear main seal, explainin why the monkeys at the garage would think it was the seal. You sound like a mechanically inclined individual and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-parker
  • swof321swof321 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 VW GLS Beetle used with 40,000 miles on it. When the engine starts up I get the blue warning light on the dash. After about 10 min or so the light will go off and not come back on until the engine is fully cooled. Has anyone had this problem before, or know what is causing this blue light to come on? Oh, one more thing, the coolant level seem to be ok under the hood.
  • aqtmouse4aqtmouse4 Posts: 1
    If you look in your manual, it says that is normal for the blue light to come on for a few miles. It does that with mine, its normal. :)
  • sothebysotheby Posts: 1
    Dude,
    this is considered 'normal'. New Beetles, Golfs and I'm sure other VW's have a miniature electric air compressor that sucks cool air from the air filter box (via a small secondary plastic hose) - and pump it straight into the exhaust chamber. This is to keep the No. 2 O2 "lambda" oxygen sensor protected from the higher-than-normal pollutant emissions during a typical cold start. When the engine warms up to a predetermined level, the blue light turning off indicates the electric bypass compressor turning off.
    Cheers,
    Greg
    SYDNEY Aust.
  • I had a similar problem on my 2001 Beetle. It was a problem with a blown break light fuse. Replacing the fuse fixed the issue.
  • I have a 2001 Beetle GLS with automatic transmission. When I put the gear in Reverse, sometimes it will go backward, and sometimes it acts as though it was still in Neutral and doesn't go anywhere. Because the problem is intermittant, the dealer can't figure out what the problem is. Has anyone else had this problem? It's driving me nuts.
  • jassbugjassbug Posts: 2
    Hi

Last week, 27 June My Driver's side window crashed on me, so I took it back to the dealer who replaced this with a "Super Kit". They replaced both windows.
    All ok. Then on June 28 My oil light came on and those ghastly loud buzzer.
    Pulled over, Oil very low...hmmmm just had it servied. Put some oil in at the next garage and drove it back to VW dealer. They said I may be loosing oil out through the Turbo. Could be a seal. They brought all levels up and told me to keep an eye on it. June 29 Coolant light then came on and stayed on. Now What!. Engine so hot was scared that I would blow it. Pickup truck arrives car back to dealer.
    They replaced the Coolant tank and switch. Kept car for a week, they said they ran it everyday to make sure it was running good.
    Collected Friday drove to work and 10 miles down the road, the oil light and coolant light are back on. Car has been picked up and sent back to VW dealer.
    They say they are completely baffled and do not have any idea would all this could be. Very helpful advice. So maybe this could also be the head casket, the fans did stop working, they seem to be spinning nicely now even though I checked the fuses and all seem to be okay. I'm puzzled as well and now scared as I drive home around 2-3am. Cannot afford not to have a car working properly. Only have 45,000 miles on the clock but from what I have been reading, I seem to be one of the lucky ones. If you come up with anything new, please post. I however I come upon a miracle, I'll post....Good Luck.
  • jassbugjassbug Posts: 2
    :cry: I just wanted to add, sorry my Beetle is 2001 Turbo. And of course sorry for any spelling errors. Excuse.....very tired and worried about my beloved Beetle.
    With all these problems, is this the reason why they are discontinuing this Model.