Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• emcaemca Posts: 1
    Is anyone else driven CRAZY by the LOUD alarm for the seat belts? I wear my seat belt faithfully, but am bothered by the alarm that goes off when the car starts and whenever I am just sitting in the car with the engine on (say, in the carpool). Is there any way to disconnect this annoying thing?
  • rcbbmanrcbbman Posts: 1
    About a week ago I noticed my left headlight was out when I was driving, but when I turned on the light switch, both lights worked. Today all driving and headlights went out. I checked fuses, they look good. I don't believe the bulbs are burned out, anyone have a answer?
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    Possible headlight problems.

1) bad/poorly grounded or broken wire in headlight circuit
    2) bad headlight relay
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    To answer your question, you got a defective vehicle that IS and SHOULD be falling apart as a natural consequence of poor parts and assembly quality control during manufacture. So it is safe to say that your Beetle "performs as designed and built".
  • margot1margot1 Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Beetle with MANY of the same problems as posted here - electric, O2 sensors, catalytic converter, power windows, and on and on....yesterday my oil light went on - it was just barely 3000 miles since the last oil change and was going in soon for a change...I checked the oil with the dipstick-no oil on the stick!! I took it in for the oil change, and the mechanic (not dealer) said there was no leak in the filter or anywhere else he could see...but that I probably should have it looked at...I'm planning to get rid of it in the next month or so, so I'm upset about a potentially expensive repair...any ideas before I take it to the dealer????
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    A few questions: Did you check the oil with the engine cold? if you check it right after the engine is shut off, a lot of oil is still trapped in the cylinder head and other oil passages and it takes some time for hte oil to flow back to the sump. So the indicated vele on the dipstick will be lower.

Did you check the oil with the car level? When parked on a slop sideways, the oil reading may vary significantly.

Now for oil leaks:

Assuming your car engine does not burn oil, there has to be an oil leak for the oil to gradually disappear. Typical oil leaks are around the oil drain plug, oild filter, oil pressure sender, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and front or rear crankshaft oil seal, or even camshaft seal.

You would be oil dripping on the ground overnight if you has a significant oil leak. Do you notice any oil puddles under your car?
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    The oil consumption issue of the 2-liter engine in the Beetle is well documented. The engine-cylinder rings never quite seat right resulting in the oil loss. Just do a search on oil consumption/oil loss in this thread. I need to add one to two quarts of oil between oil changes in my wife's Beetle.

Now add in 7 years of wear on those rings (for your 99 Beetle) and I could see how all of the oil is consumed in 3000 miles. You wouldn't need an external oil leak to lose it all.

Really, you need to check the oil level regularly in those Beetles ! Otherwise you just might run into big problems.
  • brain420brain420 Posts: 1
    I am trying to figure out if anyone on here can help me. I am trying to replace my antenna mount on my car. Long story short, it was ripped off and I really dont want to pay an arm and a leg for a repairman to fix it. i understand it takes a while to get the problem fixed, and some patience as well. But if anyone on here has knowledge of or has replaced and antenna any tips would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • slelgan1slelgan1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 New Beetle with about 33,000 mi. It has operated just fine until now. The headlight went out about a week ago and then a couple days ago I came home and got out to check the mail accross the street and then when I started it up, it coughed, but was able to turn around and park for me. The next morning I went out to start it and it started up just fine and then 3 seconds later, just died as though I turned it off. I did it again and the same result, started right up, went for 3 or 4 seconds and then died, i've done it about 5 times since then with the same result. I had the same problem before when I had a new key that wasn't programmed, the only difference was the little light with the key in the beetle was blinking indicating that it was a bad key. It wasn't doing that this time, so the key seems fine, I verified that by trying my other key.
    So I'm just up in the air about it. I can't tell if there is an error because all of the error lights light up before you start it, but after it is all done, it seems like the EPC and the check engine lights stay on, but again, I don't know if that is because there is a problem or if it is because it is turned off waiting to restart. Very strange. I even just went out and bought the new light to see if that was causing some short somewhere in the electrical system....well, I replaced the headlight and still does the same thing...turns on, runs for 3-5 seconds...then promptly shuts off by itself. Quite frustrating.
    If there is anyone with any ideas I'd appreciate it because the closest VW dealer is 55 miles away and i'd rather not have to have it towed there if i can avoid it. Thanks.
  • tbone76tbone76 Posts: 8
    I just had my timing belt replaced at an independent shop.They broke off 3 bolts on the water pump while changing that out.I got stuck with 3 hours more labor cost,But they claimed they had to bite the farm with 2 additional hours they spent retapping things out.
    Then that same evening the MOL Light comes on at the instrument panel.I take it back to the shop.All the codes are checked thru the computer and it states a catalytic convertor sensor could be the problem.The shop reset the code,and I hope it does not come on again.Well I guess thats what I get when I buy a used Beetle with 104.000 miles.
    The mechanic stated that the timing belt was original and had never been replaced before.Wow talk about taking chances.The shop said that the 2.0 Engine year 2000 and above should last until 105,000 miles, under that year should be replaced at 60 to 80,000 miles.
  • junbugsjunbugs Posts: 2
    Hello, I realize that you posted this solution back in 2002, however, I am experiencing the same problem and the dealership does not know what is wrong. Do you happen to have the exact part number or name for this Power Supply Relay that you mentioned in your posting? Thanks
  • beetlemanbeetleman Posts: 1
    A couple of days ago my cruise control quite working. does anyone know if it could be a fuse or is it more serious? and i also need to replace one of my tail lights if anyone knows how to do that i would much appreciate it. thanks.
  • spot2spot2 Posts: 15
    My wife has a 2000 1.8 Turbo New Beetle with about 60,000km on it.The air bag warning light has just come on the dash. Is this a common thing? Is it serious or is it something simple like a hidden fuse somewhere that the dealer will want to gouge me for? Been totally happy with the car , less than happy with dealer service. Any help or advice is muchly appreciated.
    HI ya. We have a fairly big stroller made by Zooper. model is called a Zydeco.We found to fit a stroller in you have to put it in the front seat. Junior goes in the back of course and if you have a passenger they will also have to go in the back. We weren't able to fit one in the hatch.
    Ok now I'm replying to my own message. i just read the other input form other owners and will try the battery disconnect and see if that works.
  • rawfastingrawfasting Posts: 1
    Did you evern discover a way to repair your window? I have a 1999 bettle with a window that fell down in the door!

Thanks
    Steven
  • Hey everyone! I have a 1998 New Beetle 2.0L, and am having a bad problem. It idles great, but its REALLY doesnt want to accelerate. It stumbles horribly if you push the gas just a little bit, both driving and sitting in park. It acts like a mass airflow problem, but the MAF sensor and circuitry check out fine. It has no DTC's and the MIL is off. Timing belt and marks are dead on. The only problem I have found is in the Throttle Control Module. If you measure resistance between pins 2 and 8, its supposed to have between 3 and 200 ohms resistance, but Im getting infinity. I believe this is the TPS circuit, but my wiring diagram doesnt specify. You have to replace the entire throttle body on this car if that ir the problem, but it costs around $400.00, so I just wanted to see if anyone here thinks or knows that replacing it will fix my problem......or if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    David
  • javbwjavbw Posts: 1
    if the temp light is coming on right at startup (when it is cold) then your water level is low. the coolant tank in the corner of the engine has a sensor for pressure/level/something and you need to add water. if you can see the little drain at the bottom, you need h2o.

that is also the case if it is coming on and off randomly as you drive.

Otherwise, you have a failing water pump or a stuck thermostat (both require service).

the tank sensor is a stickler, so keep an eye on the fluid level.

I have had all three happen to my bug. ^^
  • jpuncmomjpuncmom Posts: 1
    This is exactly the kind of comment I've been looking for about the new VW Airbag sensor light staying on. We purchased a used 2004 VW from a dealer in Durham, NC and this problem showed up about 3 months later. They are telling us that they will need to remove the driver's seat, take it apart to fix the faulty switch, put new fabric on the seat and then reinstall it, all of which can't be done at the dealership, at a very hefty price. I'm worried about putting this much more time and money into the car, but realize that it is a bigger issue if the airbags won't deploy. Does anyone know of another cheaper solution in this area? Thanks!
  • toad3toad3 Posts: 3
    I just had my switch replaced yesterday, the second one. There is a recall out for the switch. I would make them give you your money back, my second one was no charge.
    Toad3
  • pooksypooksy Posts: 3
    its just the engine temp. blue is cool, red is warm.
    my 04 had the same problem. vw knows about it and replaced the switch.
    is a faulty switch. vw dealer replaced and everything was fine. was under warranty. ck w/a diff. vw dealer.
  • bobny57bobny57 Posts: 30
    Perhaps someone on this board can help answer a question for me. My first car was a 1969 VW Beetle, and I've always wondered what was the horsepower on the 1,500cc engine?

Does anyone know where or how I can get info on the old Beetle in general?

Thanks,
    Bob from Valley Stream, Long Island
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,021
    Hi,

Edmunds did a nice article on "VW Generations" that you might find interesting. Here's the link

VW History From Edmunds

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• bobny57bobny57 Posts: 30
    Thank you very, very much Mr. Shiftright!! Talk about answering a question in a timely manner.

I loved the Edmunds article and finally found out after all these years that I had only 53hp! And I never felt like my car was underpowered over 109,000 miles and ten years of joyful ownership. Could it be that all this horsepower mania we see today is overdone? Could we really be happy with base engines that accerate to 60mph in 9.0 seconds? Why not? Think of the oil saved.
  • chadrappchadrapp Posts: 35
    WE have a 2002 Beetle with 45,000 miles. We had the car for a year and a half with no problems but....now it has been in the shop 3 times in the past few months. First the brake sensor went bad and the car wouldn't go out of park. Fixed under warranty. Next the alternator went bad. Fixed under warranty. Then the catalytic converter went bad. Fixed under warranty. Now I am very worried about the car due to all the recent problems with relatively low mileage. Are these signs of things to come and should I just go ahead and sell it? Any opinions?
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    SELL IT! Before you get to 60k, plan on replacing the water pump and the fuel pump. They are both expensive. Beetles typically start falling apart around 50,000 miles. I was so relieved to get rid of mine. I would not drive a VW again if they paid me. The whole experience was miserable (buying, servicing, customer service, etc...) :lemon:
  • If you haven't bought the VW yet, don't! I have recently gone through a major run around from VW US in getting repair work on our 2004 VW new beetle convertable covered by the warranty. Seems they don't cover OUTSIDE INFLUENCES under the 4 year/50,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty. OUTSIDE INFLUENCE is the term they can use to exclude just about anything that "happens to" the car once it leaves the show room. My wife spilled some coffee when trying to use the factory cup holders and now the transmission is all screwed up. Who would ever dream that someone could spill a little coffee when trying to use cup holders?? APPARENTLY NOT VW!! What happened to the vaunted "german engineering"? Apparently they don't drink coffee while they drive in Europe and nobody ever has an accident with anything damp. What a joke. This is after the inconvenience WE'VE had during 15 PREVIOUS warranty repairs. Maybe it's just that "VW engineering" is an oxymoron, but you should stay away from these problem plauged cars, unless you'd like to make the car a "hobby" to fill up ALL your spare time and money. And believe me, all the advertising and tv commercials are convincing and cute, but the employees are rude and inconsiderate when they get on the phone with you (VW even has the audacity to call their people "advocates" in the 800 phone number menus!! What a joke!) Now I have to go to arbitration to get this fixed under warranty. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with VW, but I'd advise checking out a car like the PT cruiser convertable instead, better warranty service and less money, too.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY! The VW customer service was absolutely terrible. They acted like complete jerks, once I was even told by a VW service advisor, "What are you going to do, try to get it fixed at a non-VW dealer, Good Luck." Over-priced and over-hyped pieces of crap. I have talked many many friends out of buying a "Cute/Cool" Bug or a new Jetta.