Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mountaineer Maintenance and Repair

kswankkswank Posts: 1
My check engine light came on in my 2000 mountaineer about 3 weeks ago. I have filled the tank several different times with gas so I don't think it is the Ford gas cap thing. I think it is with the os sensor as the vehicle has baout 60,000 miles on it. Can someone tell me where to find the o2 sensors on it? Thanks.

Comments

• Anyone know where the computer box is on a Mountaineer?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I'm not sure, but I'd check behind the kick panels in the way back - the side the Air Conditioner isn't on, which I think is on the driver side, so check the passenger side first.
  • i belive it is located in the fire wall right behind the tranny dipstick
  • my 2000 mouintaineer w/ 302 and all wheel drive has daul exhaust with no mufflers just cats . says it is running rich in bank number 2 which is odd because last time it was the bank 1 that was rich.my exhaust is real suety and black now and it has been missing and has a stumble to it at 1500 rpms. i had the plugs wires fuel filter and pcv valve replaced about 5000 mi. i have 120000 mi on it and only recently have had this bad of problem.it also has a k and n a/f brand new.i have had older cars that the timming chain or belt ws bad and they popped through the exhuast and this also sometimes does this but not on a reg. basis like a timming chain .i was told the o2 sensor by my parts store and to be honest i think i know more about cars than they do abnd i just dont think they have much experience.can anyone help me that has experienced this prob? is it the o2 sensor map sensor coil packs or timming i dont want to buy the parts store but they want me to .it also reminds me of the mass air flow sensor that i had go out on a firebird but this does not make it die just stumble.it idels fine most of the time but acts the fool when driving or beginning to take of and going down the road no matter if it is hot or cold.the dauls have been on it since 80000 miles. thanks for any info
  • I have a well maintained 03 Mountaineer. Tire have less than 25,000 miles and the wheel ailgnment is good. I have roar coming from the front end the noise remains that same no matter what the speed. This noise is even more ntoiceable when I make a left hand turn. When I turn to the right it is not as noticeable but still there. Anyone have any ideas????
  • fmotafmota Posts: 2
    Bought a 2003 mountaineer 6 months ago (Premier -V8). Recently I noticed some oil spots on the driveway, maybe an inch or 2 in diameter. However, the spots are not towards the front end......they appear to be right by the rear wheels. Almost in the center, between the 2 rear wheels. Lets just say I'm not a mechanically inclined person whatsoever.....but I normally try n search on the internet to atleast get some idea of what the problem maybe....so when I take the care for repairs, I have some background info so to not get totally taken by the mechanic. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks !
  • I had this probelm too ( I think). Mine was an axle seal and needed replacement on the driver side. My local mechanic fixed it of $270 while the dealer wanted $700 to repair both. I've put 20,000 mile on since. We now have 87000 on our 02.
  • lwoarlwoar Posts: 2
    I have some problems in my 97 Mountaineer with the antenna.
    Due to the cold weather it was frozen and I pushed it down. Now i can hear the motor but the mast does not move. Somebody can help me?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You need a new mast, not expensive, even from the dealer. Easy to install, directions come with it.
  • I my 97 mercury mountaineer towed to a repair shop yesterday because an entire pulley or "bearing" fell off under the hood and broke the belt. He is charging $192 for the repair. Does that sound reasonable? He is just replacing one pulley and one belt? What do you guys think?
  • jfinn4680jfinn4680 Posts: 1
    Ive had my mountaineer in the shop now 4 times for it dropping off while im driving with my foot on the gas and it will just stall out at random. The dealership can't find anything but this is getting to be a bit of a hassle. Has anyone heard of this happening?
  • crusin1crusin1 Posts: 1
    YES!!! I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer and I have the same problem! It stalls out usually when I come to a stop. Not all the time, yet often, maybe twice a month. Very annoying, and I've at it in to get looked at and nothing. Now I'm having problems with the AC, dealer says it's $1500 to fix the broken motor. My father has the same car same year and the same problem! Call the customer service # and report your problem! They say that's the only way they know about issues people are having with their vehicles is for owners to call and have their complains documented! 1-800-521-4140.
  • my 05 mountaineer merc.v6 headlamps are alittle low, how do i adjust. I need to raise them a tab.where is the 4mm nut under the hood?? can't find it , help.
  • Hi,
    I have a 2002 Mountaineer. When filling with gas, I have to trickle the gas in or the gas pump will kick off. I checked the filler and vent hose for obstructions....none. I then bypassed the evap solenoid (I believe) and evap canister (both located w/n a couple inches of each other at the rear of the gas tank)....and that seemed to work. Would this be a culprit of the canister or solenoid?

When the solenoid and canister are connected, I can blow in the end of the vent hose connected up by the fill neck and air easily passes into the tank, so I was confused how the vent hose could be getting restricted.

Thanks.
  • My 1997 Mountaineer doors will not lock or unlock when pressing on the door lock switch on the driver's side door panel. The doors will all lock from the passinger side switch; but will not unlock. Otherwise, all the doors will lock and unlock properly, ie with the key and manually. Where can I find a diagram that will show me where to look for the problem(s)?
  • mnpaulmnpaul Posts: 11
    Did you get your issue resolved? I have a 2002, same issue. Very frustrating.
  • tom140tom140 Posts: 1
    I have an 06 mountaineer and having the same problem, been in shop twice and found nothing. just stalls while driving, not often once or twice a month. Has anyone resolved this issue?
  • mnpaulmnpaul Posts: 11
    Hi,

I posted this on my message thread this weekend.

I put 1 bottle of Gumout Fuel Cleaner (From Target) and once it worked through it (it stalls a lot when it's working apparently) I have not had 1 stall in 3 days with about 200+ miles. My 2002 Mountaineer has 87K miles on it and it was stalling on the freeway at 70+ mph. Ford dealer could not find anything wrong with it!

Good Luck
  • If your vehicle is stalling at idle, you may need to clean or replace the Idle Air Control Valve. It is accessible on the top of the engine. If you choose to replace it, you must get it from the dealer, as the stores I called did not carry this part. I believe I paid about $90. I cleaned mine a few times but the issue kept repeating, once replaced I have not had a stall at idle for over a year. Hope this helps...