Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Mountaineer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• phxmercphxmerc Posts: 1
    I have a Check Engine Light illuminated and an intermittent misfire. My OBD II tester flagged a misfire on #3 cylinder. Mileage is 70K. I have replaced Plugs - Wires - Coils - Injectors and have checked for and found no vacumn leaks. After all of this, my problem still exists. Any and all input would be helpful and appreciated.
  • dmearsdmears Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Mountineer with 42000 miles on it and the Instrument Cluster went on it and my child was stranded in MA. I had to spend $500 for parts and labor because my bumper to bumper warranty was up at 36,000. The service at the Ford dealership in Great Berrington MA was horrible. Has anyone else seen this electrical problem in any of their vehicles before?
  • swo_dogswo_dog Posts: 1
    My door ajar light started coming on intermittenly at first and now constant. Now the interior lights as well as lights under the side mirrors will not turn off even when the engine is turned off. Any ideas what might cause this problem?
  • najswifenajswife Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Mountaineer and have the same issue...our interior lights now go off after 4 mins...however, now in addition to this issue - the seat memory controls on the driver side door are inoperable....this past weekend...the door ajar light came on...then extinguished...and 24 hours without using the car the battery is dead? When you jump the battery the car runs well...

Did you have service for the door ajar issue...

My concern is that our warranty is up....and I would like to know the cause rather than the dealership tell me what is wrong with the truck
  • mike420mike420 Posts: 2
    I had the same problem... It has to do with the door latchs.. spray some wd40 or brake cleaner into the door latch and take a screwdriver.while holding the door handle open jiggle the screwdriver in the door latch for a while. this should cure the problem..
  • meemeemeemee Posts: 8
    2004 mountaineer/36,000 miles
    extreme noise when shifting-discovered the entire pumpkin housing twists when shifting from drive to reverse. Any info or help?
    denise
  • arod5arod5 Posts: 1
    Hi, has anyone ever change a fuel injector. it seems I have a bad fuel injector. I feel a slight tug when I push on the gas pedal. It seem the fuel is not flowing through. I was thinking of changing out the fuel filter, but a friend of mine was in my car and said he had the same problem. And it was his fuel injectors not flowing correctly. I tried injector cleaners and nothing improved. Let me know if anyone had a similar problem. I have a 2002 AWD Mountaineer.
  • Did you ever recieve an answer concerning the location of the o2 sensor?
  • I bought this car in 2004. Replaced the transmission under warranty in 2006, this weekend the car is stalling at 20-30 miles. Has anyone had this problem? I called around some shops and they quoted 1600-3K to getting it fixed?? Are they recalls for this kind of stuff. Please let me know because how can a car go thru a transmission every 2 years. I have accrued a lot of miles on the car but it's not like I am an aggressive driver.
    Can everyone complain so we can all get justice once and for all....
  • NKS969NKS969 Posts: 10
    Here's a good one. Fords' TSB 08-21-11 addresses the need to match tire circumferences so as to not destroy the transfer cases. However, while it addresses the '97 through '08 Explorer it bypasses the Mountaineers in the '01 year particularly. The problem has been found to be a problem w/the 5.0 AWD '01 Mercury Mountaineer (that have only two tires replaced after normal wear, forward or rear) by causing a wheel speed transducer to 'tell' the transmission that it needs to be in AWD when it doesn't and therefore violently vibrating loose a flange case pinch nut and allow the aft drive shaft into the drive case to 'float' and then the interior of the transfer case self destructs. Mis-matched tires of different manufacturers could be of different 'circumference' yet retain the same tire 'size'. This difference can cause the internal destruction of the transfer case gearing. The costs can average in the $1900.00 to $2,300.00 range. Ford has not updated its' TSB as of yet. Anyone have this unpleasent experience yet?
    Was the replacement trans from Ford and NEW or was it a re-man? What did your warrenty specify as to the replacement and did you take it to a DIFFERENT Ford dealership (one that did not install the trans) and have them T/S the stalling?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    My wife has been telling me that every once in a while she will put our '04 Mountaineer AWD V8 in reverse to back out of our garage it will make a loud noise like you have just backed into something. I could never get the same thing until this afternoon. I went to back out and went about 4 feet and it made like a boom sound or it felt like the transmission locked up and it came to a sudden stop. It was as if I had shifted the transmission into park while I was moving without stopping first. I applied the brake and shifted it into drive and drove forward a couple of feet and back into reverse and it was fine. Is this a problem with the transmission, rear end, or possibly the parking brake after it sat in the garage engaged for two days?
    Have you recently had any tires changed/replaced? Also, have you looked at the transfer case?
    We did have identical sized AT Tires put on in early December, but this problem has been occurring since mid summer. I was looking at my Maintenance records and noticed that I have not had to tranny fluid changed for 30,000 miles. Had it changed at 13,000 miles for free when it was under warranty because the Seloniod was replaced by the Dealer that I purchased it from. I think I'm going to look into having the transmission flushed and new fluid added. I am also going to speak to a former Lincoln-Mercury Service Manager that now works as an Service Advisor over at our local Firestone since the car dealership closed it's doors. I developed a good relationship with him because I had 100% of my maintenance done at that dealership until it closed. Now I take it to Firestone for my routine maintenance needs. He might be able to give me some insight on the possible problem without having to tow the company (Ford) line. He also owns the same year Mountaineer that I have.
    When you talk to your friend at Firestone, since he's an ex-Ford dealership guy, could you ask him about my problem too as it relates to tire circumference and trashing the transfer case? I also had identical tire sizes put on the back of my '01 but it was the difference in manufactures that made the difference w/the tires' circumference and that difference turned my transfer case to mush. He might be familiar w/the Ford TSB on the subject (I wrote about it in a previous posted message). If he knows of anyone who might have direct contact w/Ford engineering I would like to email him.
    Spoke to the guy and he told me that it could be several different reasons. Could be the Transfer Case, could be something binding in the transmission, could be the front differential. He said it would be best to take it to Ford and let them run the diagnostic on it. He said they can't do it at Firestone and since it doesn't happen much it would be tough even if he took a look at it to venture a guess. That is unless it happened to do it when he looked at it. As far as the Circumference he told me that the only way that could screw up something is if one of the tires was different than the other three.
    I already took it to a Ford dealer and they told me that due to the previous company putting a slightly different tire circumference on the back two (larger than the front ones that were left on) when they changed out the pair, that that caused the transfer case to self destruct. What I was asking was if your mechanic knew of any TSB or other documentation that would include an '01 Merc. Mntr. AWD when it mentions wheel circumference as it relates to a transfer case. My delema is that the TSB from Ford on the subject does not include the '01 year! It includes '97 through '09 but skips '01. Why I don't know. But the mechanics I've spoken to here say they just don't have any documentation on it that they KNOW of but DO know that a different tire circumference as opposed to the front ones will destroy a transfer case, and that's what happened to me. So, if ya see/hear/talk to anyone on the subject, please ask around if ya remember. Thanks.
  • Is there a fuse for the Power Windows?I have had the annoying electrical problems like door ajar and having to turn interior lights off, but now my Power Windows have stopped working. Owners Manual DOES NOT describe a fuse for Power Windows.It does however describe a Circuit Breaker for the power windows. When I took the CB out my radio stopped working. When I put it back in, the radio worked, so I'm thinking the CB isn't the problem.
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    I was recently advised that Mountaineers of the vintage of mine (2002) have a tendency to need rear wheel bearings when the mileage gets up, say, around 70K or so. Any opinions out there on this matter?
  • walterdwalterd Posts: 11
    I had the same problem on my '97! It turned out to be a heat shield on the exhaust pipe that had broken loose at a weld!

If you can get under your car. Tap the exhaust with a RUBBER mallet lightly and the rattling noise can be heard. Start under the hood and work your way back.

I took it to a muffler shop and they cut it off. Unless you do some serious off roading or deal with icy roads, the heat shields under the car are useless.

$20!
  • Right side running board motor doesn't bring it up as it is supposed to. Dealer tells me that the motors are no longer available and that to fix it, I must buy the whole running board assembly with motor $1600 ... Any ideas on finding a motor?

Dale
  • I own a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer V8 and my Instrument panel lights dont work but all the other lights work like AC control, window buttons etc, and it keeps blowing the fuse they will stay on for a few seconds and then the fuse blows, It started when I towed my trailer that I had towed many other times with no problems. If anyone has any Ideas please let me know. Thank You!!
  • Does the fuse ONLY blow when the trailer is connected? If so, the trailer connector may have a loose or fraid wire shorting to ground. If not, perhaps the trailer plug receiver on your car now has a fraid or loose wire due to plugging/unplugging.
  • No even with no trailer and my adapter unplugged from my truck (the trailer has a four prong plug my truck has the big plug in so It came with the adapter) the fuse blows a few seconds after i turn the lights on and it dosen't matter what light selection I put it to as long as the parking lights come on so that the instrument panel lights will the fuse blows. Spark any other ideas? thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • I have an 04 Mountaineer, had the same problem with the loud bang when I backed out of the garage. I then went down the block and the upon accelerating at a stop sign the flront end shudder. It acted like it was stuck in a gear and I had to have it towed to the dealer. The dealer can't reproduce it, I went to the dealer and can't get it to happen. An online expert service said TSB 08-21-11 about tires. I did have another tire company replace the tires about 4 months ago, and they are not nobby tires and have a realy nice ride .
  • I have a 2002, V8. Whenever I turn the steering wheel in either direction you can see, hear & feel a noise almost as if something is binding up or rubbing. My guess it is coming from the rear drive line somewhere. Although you can feel it through the steering wheel, it doesn't really feel like a problem directly related to steering. It doesn't make the noise when going straight or turning at a higher speed. Anyone out there have a similiar problem or know what the cause might be?
  • 2000 Mountaineer, 5.0L, developed hot restart problem, air in the fuel line, possible PRV failure, Ford says the PRV comes with the fuel pump. that makes it expensive. is this correct?
  • Fuel pressure regulator does not come with a fuel pump. It sits on the top of the fuel rail above the lower intake manifold near the rear firewall. It has a vaccum line attached to it.

When you hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. you can read pressure. when you disconnect the vacuum line to the regulator the pressure should drop.

The regulator is held on with two bolts and costs less than 30 dollars. kind of hard to get to. but if you crawl in and lay on top of the engine it is accessible
  • rear Differential is leaking.
  • thats about right