Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    please email me ...

Let's keep the discussion here. To do otherwise deprives members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 1999 6cyl Grand Cherokee

ok...I've replaced the relay a couple times now but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I noticed that the fan wasn't running at all after I put a new relay in so I just spun it a bit by hand and it started right up....doesn't seem to be running quite as fast as it should. Is this something that just needs lubrication? Or do I need a new fan? Getting tired of driving around Austin with the heat on;)

Thanks!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    needs new fan and motor
  • I have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee Laredo v6 and have been having problems for the past couple of months first the car shakes very bad when i get to 45MPH and if i put it in overdrive it will stop until 65 MPH and then i have to take it back out of overdrive also if i dont take it back out of overdrive and get to 70MPH the govenor will turn on and i will have no control of the speed until it goes back down to 60MPH and recently the engine has been cutting off randomly while driving at low speeds 15-25MPH not sure what to do besides taking it to a mechanic but wanted to check online first any ideas?
  • car also turns off when turning corners and if it doesnt turn off it will lose power slightly until it kicks back in
  • I just purchased a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited and having the same problem....ever discover why and what the problem is??
    ClareAnn
  • nothing yet im going to replace the fuel injectors today and see what that does to help
  • I've asked the dealer about this - says has nothing to do with the problem - the idiots still can't figure out - but I'm sure the Lemon Law suit I've filed may provide some incentive! :lemon:
  • drdon3drdon3 Posts: 1
    my jeep grand has a 4.0l engine...trouble is its runs and dies.....no real pattern. no engine lite...no codes...i have replaced the crank postion sensor, the coil,and the module in the dist. still does the same thing....when it quites it has no spark. any ideas?? ecm maybe?? i am a loss here. thank for any help
  • Ya. I figured as much. Got a new fan and put it in yesterday....getting that one bottom bolt out is a PITA!!!. But it's in there and seems to work just fine. So hopefully that'll do it;) Just have to wait for the next thing.
  • jeeepjeeep Posts: 5
    Hi I have a 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with 31,000 thousand miles
    for the last month I have a vibration at 1,200 - 1,700 RPM 1,500 is more were it dose it the most.
    I feel it in park and racing the engine to that spot and around there and feel it when driving as well at 25, 45, 55, 60 mph and so on anywere the rpm are at 1,500 or so.
    Its not a real big vibration but still fill it. I have took it to the dealer 2 times now. The first time the gave it a 30 thousand mile tune up. It still did it and said its normal. the 2nd time they said it feels like a jeep and feels it a little bit and say its normal nothing wrong. I haven't felt it before and now I am feeling it all the time.
    has any one felt this before or know what it may be? or am I just going nuts, maybe the jeeps driving me nuts
    Thanks for the help.
    check the fan blades for cracks loose pulley has to be something thar is loose or broken that turns when in park with engine running so take light and with engine off tug and push stuff that turns when engine is on
  • i have a 2000 jgc laredo 4.0 I-6 One day just wouldn't start no warning signs figured out no power getting to fuel pump but couldn't figure out why. I took it to the shop they replaced the crank position sensor. It worked fine for about a week then it started acting like it was running out of gas. It died on me i got it started and drove about a half hour without problems. Eight hours later started fine drove a few minutes did same thing. That happened a few more times until once i just couldn't get it started. It seems no power to fuel pump again. Is there a chance for a bad crank sensor again or is something else causing the crank sensor to go bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • my 99 is currently doing the same thing. i have replaced the radiator and the thermistat, the temp sensor. did you ever get it figured out :mad: :sick:
  • Hi
    I am looking to see if someone can help me. I have a W reg jeep grand cherokee but recently i have noticed that when you drive of in the cold the revs will stop increasing and he car has no power, feels like something is blocked. you have to accelerate really hard and put your foot down and it will accelerate. But then drives like your pressing and de pressing the accelerator.

any ideas would be great.
  • Hi I would start with the fuel filter and then go from there.
  • This is a 2WD. It tends to be louder and more frequent during colder temperatures, such as recently in the mornings when the weather has been in the upper 30's/lower 40's. When you press the gas pedal, the sound completely disappears, but when you let off the gas pedal, you hear the noise until you drop down to about 20 mph, then it fades away. Could it be something related to the fuel pump?
  • its funny you say that, im needing that replaced, will try thats, see how it goes.
  • Hi I have the same problem did you find the fix?
  • HI

I THOUGHT I HAD A FOX, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DONT. I HAVE IT BOOKED IN AGAIN SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

IF YOU GET ONE LET ME KNOW

THANKS
  • I have the same problem with the same car and engine.The dealer ship says :it is the mds system that you feel at low rpm..The fact is that has been aggravated since they change the sparkplug at 58000 miles.
    A lot of complaint about this feeling on the net..I have no idea what to do,but get rid of the car.
    who changed plugs ? dealer ? did they put in the right plugs ? same as taken out if not get the plugs that are called for (dont let them tell you plat gold etc are better) the computer is set to read voltage drain on the wires to coils and computes firing timing with that reading if wrong voltage is read will fire cyl at wrong time

years a go when you did a tune up yor reset the timing now days you dont set timing as computer dose all that
  • 4.0L / automatic / 4wd Sport. Starts rough, misses, even at high speed a slight miss is detectable. Code indicates AIS motor. Does this sound correct? This only began when the check engine light came on.
  • Hi
    i would get the head gasket pressured tested, make sure its ok. Secondly check you coil pack and spark plugs.

see how that goes
  • I would be VERY grateful if anyone could shed some light on my Jeep problem.

Last week, whilst driving my 2004 53-plate (UK reg.) 4.7 Overland model I noticed wisps of blue oily smoke coming from under the engine. Closer inspection revealed quite a majot oil leak dripping through the mechanicals onto the cat and then boiling - hence the smoke. I limped the car home after topping up the oil only to suffer a boiled-dry cooling system.

From experience with a different model I fear this might be a sudden headgasket failure but really I have no idea. I cannot drive the car (parked outside my flat here in London). Need to have it flatbed-towed to a garage but before I do, can anyone give me some idea of what might be wrong?

I have not off-roaded the car for about 6 months and there have been no other problems whatsoever. It has done 60000 miles now.

Many thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Jeep Grand Cherokee drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi. just recently, my Grand Cherokee has decided it wants to just die while driving down the road. The electronics still work fine through this. The engine just shuts off. If I am moving at the speed limit, iI can usually pump the accelorator a few times, and the engine will start on its own. However, I have been at a stop light, and the thing just dies. I then have to put it in neutral, and turn the ignition. It will not fire up right away, but after a few tries, it will go again. Help would be greatly appreciated, and make impatient drivers behind me happy!
  • jgj2jgj2 Posts: 3
    happened to me in my 2001 and I replaced the crank sensor and now works perfect.
  • This engine runs great except as follows: After reaching normal operating temp, the engine is turned off and the car sits for 20 or 30 minutes. After re-start, the engine misses and backfires during normal acceleration to 30 MPH. I have to feather the gas or rev the motor to clear the problem. After this first acceleration, the engine runs fine. The milage is 110,000 and this problem has been going on as long as I've owned the vehicle (15,000 miles). I recently replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, dist cap, coil and crankshaft position sensor. Any ideas would be great.
  • Well, here's what I think. It's your fuel pump. Just replace it. My reason is that I had one fail on an older car (not a Jeep) and the symptoms were about the same. The car would almost die when climbing hills and then perk up going downhill. I hope this helps. Let me know if this works.
    Jacques G. from Jeep SRT8