Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    There are a lot of possible causes for those problems. How about starting with something really simple - like trying a tankful or two of gasoline from another gas station? This is basically a shot in the dark but I'm wondering whether winter blended gasoline may be affecting your engine's performance. Let us know what happens if you decide to try!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 5213252132 Posts: 62
    I personally don't think it has something to do with the ignition system. We had a 1998 Ford Windstar that did the same thing. It turned out that it was the fuel pump. How many miles does the Jeep have? The normal mileage for a fuel pump is about 200,000 miles. By the way, the price to replace the fuel pump is $400.00 :cry: . That's the reason we traded it in for a 2001 Grand Cherokee.
  • sswsmksswsmk Posts: 1
    I have a 99 cherokee classic with a 4.0 and it is having some problems. It does not do it all the time but it sputters and misses really bad. sometimes it just idles really rough. It has only died once and i barely got it to start back. Its throwing about four codes saying O2 sensor too lean and rich, bank one and two. Someone said it was the O2 sensors for sure, but i didnt think that they went out that easily. I also thought it could be a vacuum line, so i checked and didnt find anything wrong, missing line, broke line, etc. Can anyone please help?
  • first thing that comes to mind is a faulty sensor....but my jeep also did the same thing(91 cherokee sport) i tried everything and still no fix.then i bought a brand new radatior and the problem was gone and never had it sence 4 years strong and running great
  • guertinguertin Posts: 39
    Hi everyone.
    I'm new to this forum (I'm most active in the GC SRT8). So, please forgive me if I don't fully understand the general Grand Cherokee. $400 for a fuel pump? I just installed one in my 1979 Olds for $35! It took me about an hour (mostly to clean the gasket area). Perhaps the Jeep is much more difficult to put in?
    Jacques
  • rochon230rochon230 Posts: 3
    I have 2000 JGC with a V8 and 122K miles on it. When you put the jeep in park, and even driving down the road, the engine surges up and down. We have taken this to two repair shops with no relief. Does anyone know what this problem is, and is this a dealer only repair?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    have you changed the tps yet?
    What is the tps?
    throttle position sensor sences how hard toy mash the gas sends info to computer to tell it to inject more gas if bad computer sends surges to injectors looking for where throttle is at
    O.K., I am with you so far. Is this something a mechanic can fix, or is this a Jeep dealer only fix. Is this something that is bolt on, or does this need some adjusting?

Thanks,
    prity much bolt on can get at auto zone or such
  • scooterfxrscooterfxr Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a cherokee with 200k 4.0. it starts and runs great for about 10 miles then it starts to die. If i step on it it pops thru throttle body but will fly. have replaced cap rorot wires coil and fuel filter. tried the banging on tank to check fuel pump that didn't help. check engine light on says 02 sensors but have had others with 02 sensor removed and never drove like this. if it idles or is shut off for a while starts to run great again but only for short trips any ideas thanks
  • hmessingerhmessinger Posts: 3
    awhile back i had a 5th cylinder misfire and advanced auto checked it on their computer confirming the problem. well i had the mechanic install a new coil pack in the cylinder, and even after taht every time i drive uphill it just misses and jumps back and forth. i really want to get my jeep in working order. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    :confuse:
    Do a compresson test to see what compression is sounds as if have bad valve
    sounds as if you have a bad distrubeter bearing or a vacuem leak caused by a valve that opens when hot
  • slaught1slaught1 Posts: 8
    Sorry it is so long between posts, I gave up for a while.

Problem is still there but your lucky the mechanic is telling you there are actual engine code. I receive no engine or service codes. The dealership eventually kept it for 2 days and Had "there best guy" looking into it.

They tested everything, compression, timing, replaced spark plugs, wires, unplugged the mds and never did amount to anything. One thing that seemed to help for a few days though was the they cleared the memory on the some sort of system that attempts to account for the drivers habit. By clearing the memory it lessened the problem for about 2-3 days but picked off where it left off.

This past weekend I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor, which did not help and I will eventually replace the camshaft position sensor. I really hate to throw parts at it but, I have taken it to two different dealers and nobody can seem to figure it out. I have ext. warranty but what good does that do me when they can't find the problem.

How about you, did you what was causing your issue?
  • slaught1slaught1 Posts: 8
    Hey Landj68,

What year and model was your JGC?
  • jgc5jgc5 Posts: 2
    Sorry. One more time: I have a 2001 JGC with 93000 well cared for miles on it.

The other day I was parking in a parking structure & easing forward into the space, when the throttle opened wide. The jeep jumped forward and crashed into the cement support pillar in front of me before I could do anything. Damage is about $5K.

This has happened twice before (same conditions..easing forward into a parking space) but the first two times I was able to stop. I couldn't track it down because it didn't happen again. This time was worse. Had I been in either parking space adjacent to me I'm sure I would have bolted through the retaining wall and hit the street below. If someone were in front of me, they'd still be scraping them off the wall. I found all sorts of references to this on the web but the local dealer says they aren't aware of a fix (though they were of the problem). No recalls listed either.

The only thing I can figure is the throttle position sensor - or the computer - someone is sending the signal to race when I am parking. Anyone know of this??

HELP
  • jgj2jgj2 Posts: 3
    I also have a 2001 JGC V8 and for the past 3 weeks the OBDII light (I think thats what its called) has lit up on and off, and the car has stalled about 10 times while at stopped or going very slow. It goes right back on when I start it up again. It has also shaked violently back and forth while accelerating. The manual says it might have something to do with a loose gas cap or bad gas, but it has been through several tanks of gas now and the fuel cap is not loose. I do notice that when I open the gas cap I used to hear air escaping, but I don't anymore.
    So I got an oil change, they check all the fluids, I replaced the air filter, and then had the Auto Zone guy plug in his computer and it said I had 4 issues, all relating to the crank sensor. Just today I bought a $45 crank sensor but haven't had it put in yet.
    If anyone else has had this problem or thinks they know what it is let me know please! thanks
  • Has anyone else had this problem?? Traveling at 65 mph, lightly took my foot off of the accelerator and the car totally shut down, leaving me no control - happened to me 3 times on an 8 hr. drive @ 2 weeks ago (car has 20,000 miles - all service performed by dealer) - immediately brought the car to a dealer & was told that the dealers had received a service bulletin describing this issue, but no recall was going out - I was told it was a malfunction of the on board computer program and I needed to have the program updated and reloaded - once completed should have no further problems - EXCEPT, the same darn thing happened to me yesterday - traveling back home on a major road (@50 mph this time) and same thing occurred twice - slightly took my foot off the gas and the car completely shut down - Does anyone have a copy of the Dealer Bulletin about this? I've reported this to safercars.gov - anyplace else I can go? Just want to get rid of this hunk of junk pronto!!! Thanks for comments!