Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• I have 160000 miles on it. If the o2 sensor is going out would it show up on the diagnostic check? I will give it a try. I am sure they do need changed. I appreciate the advice!!!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    wouldnt show up as long as it is in fac spect bur could be on the edge of bad with 160000 miles has had to work like h ll so could be worn out as stated i shoes to much oxigen in exaust tikink engine is running lean adds more gas
  • I own a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited with 15000 kms, I had it for the last 8 month (very impressive vehicle), in the last couple of month in two separate occasions when driving below 5kms the engine suddenly went off, I only get the hand brake light on, immediately turn the key on and the engine starts as if nothing had happened.
    Has anyone got a suggestion?
  • something important that I must mentioned is that this problem only happened when I was about to pull over, once happened at the traffic lights and another time at the car park.
  • I had a miss at 60mph and up with my 1999 grand cherokee as well. Not 02 sensor that fixed it. Took it to Jeep Dealer and they did not know, finally a transmission shop figured it out. It was bad tires causing the transfer case to shift in and out of four wheel drive. Replaced tires and the problem went away.
  • Did you change the wires as well? I would replace them . During the change you may have developed a crack in one which arcs at high speed...
  • jilld73jilld73 Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone can provide a picture, diagram or description of the TPS location on a Jeep Grand Cherokee? Is this part easy to install? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I'm trying to fix this check engine light on a tight budget and this is what the code Auto Zone pulled for me pointed to. :confuse:
  • Over the last 3-4 days, my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has gradually increased in intermitten loss of power. I notice that when it has not been driven for 10-12 hours it runs fine for 20-30 minutes. But if I turn it off, I notice a stumbling at start, shakes, low RPMs and little power. It will slowly pick up power, but if I increase gas pedal to quickly, it looses power and may eventually come to a stop. It continues to run, but at very low RPMs and stumbling. As I begin to pickup speed, it occasionally gives small backfires in rapid succession. if I increase the gas too much. I have changed fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I have put half a tank of gas in from several different stations, thinking it was water in the gas. Help!?!
  • I have individual spark plug coils. So no wires to change. I have replaced four of the eight coil plugs and no change. Sounds different when it starts. All started when plugs were changed. I am at a loss.
  • This exact thing has happened to me about 6 times. I'm looking for an answer too...if you happen to find out anything about what it is, or what the fix is please email me at Cheley30@yahoo.com. I have the Hemi if that matters?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    please email me ...

Let's keep the discussion here. To do otherwise deprives members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • 1999 6cyl Grand Cherokee

ok...I've replaced the relay a couple times now but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I noticed that the fan wasn't running at all after I put a new relay in so I just spun it a bit by hand and it started right up....doesn't seem to be running quite as fast as it should. Is this something that just needs lubrication? Or do I need a new fan? Getting tired of driving around Austin with the heat on;)

Thanks!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    needs new fan and motor
  • I have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee Laredo v6 and have been having problems for the past couple of months first the car shakes very bad when i get to 45MPH and if i put it in overdrive it will stop until 65 MPH and then i have to take it back out of overdrive also if i dont take it back out of overdrive and get to 70MPH the govenor will turn on and i will have no control of the speed until it goes back down to 60MPH and recently the engine has been cutting off randomly while driving at low speeds 15-25MPH not sure what to do besides taking it to a mechanic but wanted to check online first any ideas?
  • car also turns off when turning corners and if it doesnt turn off it will lose power slightly until it kicks back in
  • I just purchased a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited and having the same problem....ever discover why and what the problem is??
    ClareAnn
  • nothing yet im going to replace the fuel injectors today and see what that does to help
  • I've asked the dealer about this - says has nothing to do with the problem - the idiots still can't figure out - but I'm sure the Lemon Law suit I've filed may provide some incentive! :lemon:
  • drdon3drdon3 Posts: 1
    my jeep grand has a 4.0l engine...trouble is its runs and dies.....no real pattern. no engine lite...no codes...i have replaced the crank postion sensor, the coil,and the module in the dist. still does the same thing....when it quites it has no spark. any ideas?? ecm maybe?? i am a loss here. thank for any help
  • Ya. I figured as much. Got a new fan and put it in yesterday....getting that one bottom bolt out is a PITA!!!. But it's in there and seems to work just fine. So hopefully that'll do it;) Just have to wait for the next thing.