Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• Interesting - it was a deposition with my lawyer and the Chrysler shyster-I could see the gears turning in this guy's head - "hmmm-how do I get out of this...not bad gas sold in NJ, no error codes picked up by the daimler-chrysler computer check until the sixth stalling incidence, dealer just replaced electronic front end computer module, no accidents..." unfortunately the problems started at 20,000 mi., which places my claim outside of NJ Lemon Law, but still allows me to file breach of warranty - He's going to try to get off on the fact that I never had an accident and I never had to pay for any "repairs", but my lawyer has something up his sleeve, too!

Have to wait to hear about the court date, now! :P
  • salinitysalinity Posts: 3
    Hi all - Trying to figure out what may be going on here - 1995 4-cyl (I know, I know) Jeep Cherokee. There's some sort of electrical connection which has a wire from the battery (?) and clicks into a "fitting" (sort of like a plug) which looks like it goes into the engine block. It's located just in front of the distributor cap on the passengers side. It came to my attention, because there's what appears to be a mixture of gas and oil seeping up thru it. What is this connection and what would cause this seepage (I can start it up with this thing "unplugged")? Still starts and runs (although I've had trouble starting as of late).

Thanks for any help with this. Luckily I don't need to drive much (public transportation to work).
  • frumundafrumunda Posts: 15
    Hmmm...it could be a coupla things...I would usually guess its a oil pressure cutoff switch, but you're saying it still starts and runs? I would have to say I'm not totally sure. I'll dig through my service manuals and see what I can come up with....

Hang in there...
  • Where do i begin? i have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/ 4.0L 6-cyl automatic, 110,000 miles... I recently had some issues with it overheating due to bad water pump, which blew my head gasket. I had all that fixed, but one problem that started when it was overheating was my oil pressure gauge started reading zero when the engine got hot, but would go back up when i gas it. Even after cooling issues were fixed, gauge problem continues. i'm not leaking or burning any oil that i am aware of, gauge just reads zero when engine is warm and idling.

Also, my check engine light is constantly on. error codes are for "evaporative emissions system leak (large)", and occasionally "cylinder 3 misfire". i have had numerous hoses replaced, and replaced my gas cap, but problem persists. also had plugs and o2 sensor replaced at 100,000 miles.

AND (oh yes, theres more!) sometimes when i start it it runs really rough. it will idle low and act like its gonna stall, but doesnt. if i try to drive through it, it continues running very rough until i stop and turn it off and back on. usually then, (but not always) it runs fine after restart until the next random time it decides to do it again. happens both on cold start and after sitting for only 10 minutes, but only occasionally, only a few times a month.

AND when i start it, theres a knocking sound. nothing too deep or loud, and it usually goes away or is barely audible after warming up. pretty sure its a lifter sticking, but figured id put it on here for a second opinion.

and, FINALLY, this is the least of my concerns, but im wondering if this is a common problem. my a/c quit working in 2004 when the prior owner (a family friend) had it. she had the compressor and condenser replaced and it worked for a while after being charged, but eventually stopped again. someone told me that evaporator cores are known to go bad on cherokees, and im wondering if this is the likely culprit.

Well, thats where im at at the moment. any info or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. For some God awful reason im ridiculously attached to my Jeep and am not ready to let it go!

Thanks so much! :)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If your engine overheats, it's not unusual for the oil pressure to drop. However, if your engine is overheating and your oil pressure drops, I think you should get it taken care of right away. Your head gasket may be shot again. :(

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • frumundafrumunda Posts: 15
    Not necessarily a head gasket. If the oil pump has crud in the pickup screen(which can happen when coolant gets mixed in the oil or vice versa, the oil galleries can get clogged with goo as well. I would have the cooling and oiling systems flushed and leak tested. Sometimes when the oil pump has a lack of oil in it(caused by the blown head gasket) the pump vanes can wear. Excessive oil pump wear in general can cause this problem as well. My thought is that if it isn't clogged its worn out.
  • illdillilldill Posts: 2
    i have a 93 grand cherokee, parked it last year for the reason that it powers down and sounds as if it backfires @ around 3000- 3500 rpm, Ive put alot of work into this vehicle and gave up on it, now change of plan im trying to solve this issue, compression test is fine and i usually rely on check engine light and i solve senser probs with it, i tryed the turn key on and of and no codes show up that seem to solve my problem, good i changed the fuel filter and tested pump ran a lil better after but problem still exists????????????????????// hmmmmm
  • illdillilldill Posts: 2
    I have a 93 grand and i had a whining noise in the front end fluids were lright and ended up being the differential bearings, i replaced them and put on smaller tire and was good
  • I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has a problem with either fuel or electrics.

When I start it in the morning the idle fluctuates. When I try to rev the engine the idle drops off completely and sometimes the engine stops. After a few minutes I can gently rev the engine but if I put my foot down too hard and fast then there is a 'popping' from the inlet manifold. If the revs are high then the popping stops and it revs normally until I let it settle to idle. Then when I try and rev it hard again the same thing happens.

Once the engine is warm it drives ok but accelerate too hard and it will backfire or 'pop' again.

In very hot weather the performance drops off completely and on steep hills or under load the engine will eventually stop. I have to wait until the engine is virtually cold in order for me to re-start. If I remove the MAP sensor, it helps but only for a while.

I have changed the coil. I do not know whether this is an electrical fault in one of the sensors, a fuel pressure problem, an ECU problem or a vacuum leak. Please help.
  • I forgot to mention that it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 1994, 4 liter 6 cylinder.

Can anyone help re the last message and can someone tell me where the EGR is located?

Thanks
    Are you getting any trouble codes?

Be sure to check out the Online Repair Manuals.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • No codes and no check engine light.
    The EGR should be near the exhaust manifold. Perhaps someone with hands on experience would jump in with specifics. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • craigd47craigd47 Posts: 4
    I'm having exactly the same problem with my 2004 Grand Cherokee V-8. It started suddenly. Were you every able to solve the problem? My mechanic says that it is caused by carbon build-up.
  • emtstanemtstan Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 cherokee at idle it misfires and if you turn on the ac it gets worse, also it takes a minute after pushing the gas pedal for it to run normal I have changed the dist, plugs, wires please help thanks alot
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    sounds as if you have vacuem leak
  • Thank you for that.
  • I thought it may be that, so I sealed all the vacuum pipes off the inlet manifold but it makes no difference. Do you know of another test I can do to ascertain whether I have a vaccum problem. Please bare in mind I am in the middle of the bush in N Africa.
  • I am still having the problem but I think I am getting closer to the cause. I am almost certain it is electrical as it gets worse when the engine gets hot.
  • This is a message to all those who have been having the same problem with the Grand Cherokee as I have been. See message a week or so back.

I tried everything such as TCS, IAC, MAP sensor, Coil etc with no luck. Finally I took the fuel tank off and it was full of dirt and sand. The fuel pump was weak so I changed that. Now the car is running as sweet as a nut. In fact it is running like a [non-permissible content removed] and I have already frightened myself with the speed.

I hope this helps others who have the same running problems.

Good luck