Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Torrent

I am thinking of buying a 07 Torrent. It now has standard 4 wheel disc. I drive around 30,000 miles per year mainly highway. I dont know if there is really anything wrong wityh the 3.4 engine. It maybe noisy and less fuel efficiant but it has been around and it may be more reliable and proven then the more complex newer 3.5 engine. And so far there is no word of when they might swith engines

Comments

• envoysleenvoysle Posts: 20
    Does anybody have information about Torrent? Will it be out in 2006? Also, I can't seem to find any picture or info about this SUV anywhere on the Web...

What kind of engine will it get? Same thing as the Equinox or something more powerfull like the new V6 in the Saturn VUE?

I love the exterior of the Equinox, but hate the look inside. I hope that Pontiac will do it better.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=48087
    New Pontiac name: Torrent
    By Rick Kranz
    Automotive News / April 26, 2004

Pontiac has chosen the name Torrent for a new sport wagon coming next year, industry sources say.

The 2006 model-year vehicle will be based on General Motors' Theta platform, which is shared by the Chevrolet Equinox and Saturn Vue. Front- and all-wheel-drive models are expected.

GM North America President Gary Cowger said the Pontiac vehicle will not be a rebadged Vue or Equinox.

Said Cowger: "It has good differentiation in styling, ride, handling and interior."
    Unlike the usual GM concept-to-production model shown 3+years in advance of its on-sale date, the Torrent appears to be on a tighter schedule. Can only expect its first appearance to be the Detroit/LA auto shows in January 2005, bearly 6-9 months in front of its expected debut. No "major" autoshows in the fall, unless they show it at the SEMA aftermarket show, usually around November.

As far as power, GM has new engines coming online in the time before the Torrent appears. ie, the upcoming Pontiac G6 will come out with the 3.5L but will have a 3.9L in late spring '05. So it is a little early to speculate what might be under the hood.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Will the US get this car, or will it be like the Pontiac Wave and be Canada only?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    With the death of the Aztek, let's see if Pontiac can improve its odds with the Torrent.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    GM could use Honda's 3.5L in this vehicle, instead of the VUE. The Equinox should have been intro-ed with that engine, instead of the VUE- it seems to be a better executed package.

~alpha
  • WHile I'm dissapointed that the Torrent will be just an Equinox with a Pontiac nose, hopefully we'll see a better grade of interior materials and at least any 3.5L (Honda or otherwise).
  • When is this vehicle set to debut at Pontiac dealerships?
    I have read a July production start, so they should be in dealer in August.
  • dyuendyuen Posts: 4
    I have to give credit to GM for trying to differentiate their vechicles under three brand names. Personally I don't see the point of doing it. The Torrent doesn't set itself apart from the competition, and with so many choices out there for mid-size SUV, it's going to be a tough sell for Pontiac.
  • davem2001davem2001 Posts: 564
    Why would you buy this instead of an Equinox - it's the same car?
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Posts: 464
    I held off buying a Nox this year because of the cheap looking interior. A black/dark gray dash and interior makes a big difference. Stiffer shocks can't hurt also. Too bad the rice boat anchor motor is the same. If they pile up and I can great a great deal, then I'll consider it.
    I guess someone might buy the Torrent because it has more incentives on it than the Equinox. It all comes down to a matter of personal taste- do they like the Saturn's Honda V6, the Equinox's sliding rear seat or the Pontiac styling? If it were me, I'd choose the one with the most incentives piled up on it.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Posts: 121
    The Pontiac Torrent has a sale date set in the fall of 2005. My local dealer said that they expect theirs no earlier than September. 185hp V-6 is the only info they post on the site...(? 3.5 vs 3.9) I beleive this is the 3.5, but I suspect that they will offer the 3.9 as an option in the following years . The options list and pictures impress me. I really like the idea of getting heated seats w/o having to get leather. The styling grabs me as being more aggressive than the equinox. It also is supposed to have a more responsive/firmer suspension and more "car-like" steering. It also has 18 inch wheels available. The interior appears to have more of an upgrade to it than in the equinox. Especially with the gauge clusters and the hvac controls. I really hope that this vehicle does well, it is a definite improvement over the Azek. :P
    185 HP is the Chinese built 3.4 OHV slug motor. Just like the current Equinox. No other engine options for '06 I'm sure. They show optional 17" wheels, 16": standard just like the 'Nox. Heated seats are usually always with the leather option. If Chevy offers the same interior for '06, what would be the point of offering the Torrent for a few grand more then the Nox?
  • gmhellmangmhellman Posts: 121
    I simply was pondering if they would offer the 3.9l engine in the future, perhaps in the 07MY or 08MY. As for the heated cloth seats I obtained that info from the flyer at the local pontiac dealer. This is the info flyer that the dealer had just received, I will concede that I could be wrong on the rim size, but I will check when I go back in the AM. As for the heated cloth seats...that is an option. It was on the list. I pondered that option to the dealer and he said that many people have stated through research that people wanted the heated seats, but not the leather. I do not know if chevy is offering the same interior for 2006 but, I do prefer the interior on the pictures that I have seen from the Torrent website and the flyer that my dealer had. I will take your advice and check my tire facts....the rest I obtained directly from Pontiac Website or the Official Torrent flyer. :shades:
    in the Torrent/Nox. Since Suzuki will build a Theta version @ CAMI later in '06, I'm sure GM will use a better/cheaper imported V6 from them. If you checkout the Chevy build a car option on the Equinox Web site, only way to get heated seats are in the 1SE package which has heated leather or the 1SD, then choose heated option for the leather. Of course, this might change for both models for '06.
    Pontiac has updated their web site. Edmunds now has MSRP pricing on models and option packages. These base prices seem much higer then the Equinox. Also the option packages make it very expensive if you don't want every item in the package. (Sunroof option package comes with 6CD radio so it's over a grand! and Side curtain air bags comes with OnStar) I suppose the employee price discount will continue, so GM will bump up MSRP prices to make the "discounts" look attractive.
    now that GM has announced that Buick and Pontiac divisions will be trimmed?

~alpha
    With GM lacking in the small wagon and cross-over vehicles, they need to push the Theta line. The Nox is doing very well and the bigger SUV's are sagging. SInce the mini-vans are not doing well, this was GM's only short term solution. I guess the only options were to create a Pontiac or a GMC version. Suzuki will have their version soon also.
  • If Pontiac really wants the torrent to be a performance vehicle, why don't they give it the 250 HP Honda engine that is available in the Saturn Vue?
    looks very well done though.

Looks very RAV4ish, but overall a nice package.

I doubt its based on Theta.

Unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't look anything like a Theta based SUV.
    http://www.06grandvitara.com/

Looks compelling. Automatic Climate Control standard.
    Grand Vitara: The redesigned 2006 model goes on sale this fall, possibly with a new name. The five-passenger SUV will be sportier looking than its predecessor and have more room and power.

The vehicle is based on the Suzuki Concept-X2 concept and will be offered with a 185-hp V-6 engine, five-speed automatic transmission and full-time 4wd.

XL-7: The redesigned 2007 XL-7 grows from a small SUV to a mid-sized sport wagon when it debuts next year. It will be equipped with a five-speed automatic transmission and a 250-hp, 3.6-liter V-6.

The redesigned SUV will be built at CAMI Automotive Inc. in Ingersoll, Ontario, a plant owned jointly by Suzuki and General Motors. The vehicle was developed on GM's Theta vehicle platform, which also is used by the Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent.

Are they referring to the Grand Vitara or forthcoming XL-7?
    Nice seeing a 3rd row seat option in a Nox. That 3.6L would more then likely find it's way into the Nox SS before the 3.9L. They seem to love importing engines in Canada from Asia. Plus the 3.9L will be bussy going into many domestic models.
    The XL-7 replacement will probably look more like a Nox/Torrent rebadge to keep the production line similar at CAMI.

I still think GM shared Theta plans with Suzuki on the GV. The interior dash is 100% Nox/Torrent/Vue based. The dimensions probably more fit the Vue.
    Probably all the exterior pannels are different and of course Suzuki used their own engine/drive train combo. (Just like Saturn dropped the Honda engine/tranny in for the V6 models.)
  • Has anyone seen a Torrent on a dealers lot yet?
    Who cares? The 'Nox has been around plenty long, its no different.

~alpha
  • I saw one this weekend at a local dealer in Maryland. IMHO the exterior changes are merely that - they don't make the car look any better or worse - just slightly different. The interior somehow looks better to me if only because it's all black, with only the (in this case) beige leather/vinyl being the contrast. I did like the darker tone of the center faux-aluminum, but again - subjective. A few dash bits are different and of course the instrument cluster. Nothing that anyone even slightly interested didn't know from looking at the Pontiac website gallery. Maybe they spent another $20 on the interior and saved about $110 on the exterior. I suppose it will end up being more expensive. I had read somewhere that there is no difference whatsoever mechanically - not even the suspension tuning. Does anybody know the truth about that? Just curious.
    Knowing GM, it'll have different styling, and a different price tag. Everything else stays the same.