Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Brake Questions

Comments

• They called and said they couldn't re-create the problem. Did you have any better luck?
  • I haven't taken it in yet. The service person that I talked to said he had heard of a couple of these already. He said it possibly had something to do with a valve that gets wet and freezes...Sounds to me like a problem in the design. I'm going to take it into the dealer for "documentation" sake and keep researching the situation.
  • I talked with the service manager yesterday and they were able to replicate the problem. He said in their educated opinion it was the Vacuum Check Valve that keeps pressure in to the booster cylinder. I also received the same explanation that it's moisture in the air that collects and freezes as opposed to slush from the street getting on to the valve and freezing.
  • jjk20jjk20 Posts: 13
    I am trying to find out if the '08 Altima SE 3.5 comes standard with "brake assist"? Edmunds' comparison page of features lists it as standard but it is not listed in the Altima brochure and it is not listed on the car's window sticker. I called the Nissan consumer affairs # but they do not see it listed.
    Does anyone know? Thank you!
  • grumpfishgrumpfish Posts: 19
    I have an 07 Altima with 22k and some change miles. I started off to work and noticed that the brake lamp was on. The first chance I got I pulled over, turned off the car and resumed my long drive to work. A few minutes later the light turned off. On the way home the light did not come on again and when I eventually made it home, I looked at the fluid level which was exactly b/w Min/Max, so it wasn't low.

I topped off the fluid level. Today the light still has not turned on. I had the tires rotated 2mos ago and was told the pads and rotors were in great shape. The last car I had lasted 5yrs without a brake job. That shows how easy I am on the brakes. Any other 07 drivers experience this yet?
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,446
    I would drop by the local dealer and have them read the error code with their scanner. Might, or might not, be important, and it should cost you nothing but your time.
  • wvhokiewvhokie Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Altima and also am encountering the brake squeaking. They told me at the dealership about a month ago it is a problem with the rear brake pads. But the brake pads are on back-order, and I still don't have them after nearly a month. I called the dealership today, and they said they currently have 5 Altimas they are waiting on for the brake pads.

I love my car even though it has had its share of annoyances with the keys being replaced, a muffler system on the air vent installed, and a couple of other recalls. I keep reminding myself that it was the first year of this body style and there will be fixes. People have always told me not to buy a car in the first year of its body style, but I did anyway. Overall, I love the feel and drive of the car,

Are you still encountering problems?
  • tibs11tibs11 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Altima. Within the first 2 months the brakes started squealing. One of my tires went flat so while I was at the Discount Tire I told them to look at my brakes as the car was new and the brakes were already squealing. The man told me that is a characteristic of Nissan cars...that I need not worry they all do that....well, that would have been nice to know. Anyway a few months later I took my car into the dealership and for the recall on key fob and asked them again about the squealing. They looked at them and said the cleaned out some dirt but they looked fine.....they still squeal...all the time. I love the car don't get me wrong...but the squealing IS annoying.
  • Well, I have a 2008 that I've only had since January. My car recently started making this horrible squeaking noise also. I would be so embarrased to stop the car because it was so loud. I finally got an appointment at the dealership to see what was going on. Come to find out my rotars and calipers were bad. So they had to order some for me. The good thing is, my brakes are under warrenty so I don't have to come out of pocket to pay for this!!!
  • I have the same problem. I doubt very seriously that you had bad rotors and calipers on a new car. Nissan issued a TSB, but it is worthless. Plus the dealership doesn't have a guess. The Altima is wonderful; but Nissan doesn't do something fast, they are going to get a bad rep. If anyone has had any success with a fix, please post. Thanks.
  • Same problem here. I have 2007 altima. Squeking started three months after I bought to car. Mentioned to the dealer when I took it for one of those recalls. they told me it was the brake switch and they replaced it. It was fine for about a year and it started again I mentioned it to the dealer again when I took the car for an oil change. They replaced the brake switch again but this time no go. I called them and ask them again and they mentioned there was something regarding the problem in the Technical Service Bulletin and told me they were goign to call me back I am still waiting... Also my brakes squeak when I hit the brakes to stop not to slow down I don't know if yours case is the same but I can tell you it is very very annoying.
  • I too bought my 2008 Altima in January and have had problems with the brakes squeaking since August. The first time I took it in the they resurfaced the front rotors. The very next day was hearing the squeaking again. So a few weeks later took it in and they stated they were unable to recreate the problem, so no fix that time. I just took it in again over the weekend and was advised that the noise was coming from the rear brakes and that I would need new brake pads and hardware. I am picking up the vehicle today so we will see if this fixes the problem and how long it will last!
  • Good luck! You are about two steps behind me. Your brakes will continue to squeak and this time they will find out that it is the front brakes. Basically, Nissan doesn't have a guess. The problem is only made worse by a very aloof dealer network. If they don't get this thing fixed quickly, they are going to ruin the Altima name. It's a great car other than this; but pulling up to a curb and sounding like you are driving an old car from the 70's is SO embarrasing. If anyone gets or hears about a real fix....let us know!
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    I have the same squeeling brakes problem. I don't like the fact that a lot of people are reporting the same thing. That means that it's a problem that's inherent to all 2007+ Altima's. They cut the rotors and replaced the pads. All is fine EXCEPT that the brake pedal now travels about 1.5 inches further before engaging. :mad: It was warranty work, but I liked my sensitive brakes. I now feel like I'm driving a car with Toyota Camry brakes. (not good btw)

I'm calling another dealership to see if new rotors is covered under warranty. I have a feeling that it is, and since my car no longer drives like it's "supposed" to, I'm going to find a way to get new rotors.

BTW, my car has just over 13,000 miles on it. I noticed the problem around 10,000 miles, but it's gotten worse ever since I noticed it. It was virtually unbearable on really cold days. :sick:

Seriously, Nissan needs to fix this. This is a really bad defect in the car's design. I will also go so far as to say that if this problem reappears around roughly 10k miles after I get new rotors, I will be in the market for a different car. I will not be changing out 4 rotors and brake pads every 10,000 miles.. :mad:
  • i have a 2007 Nissan altima i bought it Dec 2006 around 5000 mile squeaking brakes took it to dealer the told me it was normal but they clean the rotors and brake pads after couples day noise came back took back like 3 more times and finally replace the brake pads but they cut the rotors noise stop for months but the noise came back took it back twice to dealer they replace brake pads again and cut rotors noise went away maybe six month but the noise came back but no more warranty so i made a bad mistake June 2008 i replace rotors and brake pads with ebc brakes 260 dollars to garbage noise went away but after six month i had vibration trying to stop so i have no choice to replace Dec 31 2008 with rotors and brake from Nissan 275 dollars because the dealer gave me a discount :mad: Feb 2009 noise is coming back again little by little aim so frustrated :mad: i think i going to trade my car maybe to get a 2007 Nissan maxima b/c i don't to start paying another car for 5 more years we should file a lawsuit again Nissan b/c i know there is a lot people with this problem
  • i have a 2007 Nissan altima i bought it Dec 2006 around 5000 mile squeaking brakes took it to dealer the told me it was normal but they clean the rotors and brake pads after couples day noise came back took back like 3 more times and finally replace the brake pads but they cut the rotors noise stop for months but the noise came back took it back twice to dealer they replace brake pads again and cut rotors noise went away maybe six month but the noise came back but no more warranty so i made a bad mistake June 2008 i replace rotors and brake pads with ebc brakes 260 dollars to garbage noise went away but after six month i had vibration trying to stop so i have no choice to replace Dec 31 2008 with rotors and brake from Nissan 275 dollars because the dealer gave me a discount Feb 2009 noise is coming back again little by little aim so frustrated i think i going to trade my car maybe to get a 2007 Nissan maxima b/c i don't to start paying another car for 5 more years we should file a lawsuit again Nissan b/c i know there is a lot people with this problem
  • A few of you mentioned "2007 was the first year for this body style". So is everyone here talking about 2007 coupe or 2007 sedan? Also, everyone here is talking about squeaking noise when applying brakes. I want to clarify if all of you infact mean squeaking noise or you guys mean to say that the car shudders and shakes and vibrates like crazy when you apply brakes. The vibration and shudder I feel when applying brakes is the type you would normally feel when the rotars/pads are gone!

Answer to these questions determine if I shall be buying the car, so an immediate answer would be appreciated please.
  • My 2007 Altima is a Sedan. I had the squeaking problem at the end of 2007 and took the car to the dealer several times. The dealer replaced the brake kit (calipers, etc.) and the car was fine for months. Then at the end of 2008 the problem started again. Sometime the squeak is very bad but it seems to go away after I've been driving for a few minutes. It seems like it's worse in the cold weather if I don't let the car heat up for several minutes first. At times, the sounds almost like a grinding sound like when the pads are gone, but I just had my inspection in January and they said that my brakes are just fine and not worn.
  • I understand the squeaking issue now. However, do any of you ever consistently face issues where the entire car shudders and vibrates when you brake?"
  • 03vert03vert Posts: 1
    Shaking and shuddering most likely means your rotors are warped. If Nissan resurfaced them in an attempt to solve the squeaking you have a case that they should replace them at n/c.

The squeaking is a result of the combo of rotors and pads, clearly they do not mix. Remember that Nissan in 2004 with the release of the Titan and Armada had to purchase back some vehicles because of excessive warping of the rotors. They have always cut corners on brakes IMO.

The oldest Altima in our stable is 7 years old has 145k and I just changed the front rotors for the second time which for me is pretty amazing seeing as I drive fast and brake late. Never have I had squeaking. The 08 Altima we have the brakes are garbage IMO. I swapped out the rotors and pads with after markets at 30k and it's as good as my 02. We'll see about the longevity of the aftermarket equipment. I do know there is no squeaking, or brake dust.

Also worth mentioning, Nissan parts are extremely over priced. The dealership quoted 550 for my front rotors and pads, parts were 280 of that. I did the job myself for 180 worth of parts and about 3 hours of a Saturday morning. Not a bad way to save 370 dollars.