Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Brake Questions

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    you know, squeaky wipers is not a reason not to get a car; I do agree, since I have a 10 Maxima that the OEM wipers Nissan puts on suck big time; brand new they consistently leave streak marks and smear the window when in use which is ridiculous

there is a simple fix for that go to Autozone or online and by Bosch, Rain-X, or Valeo silicon wiper blades and replace the OEM, thats what I did and they work wonderfully; the rest of the car is wonderful though!!
  • No, not a hybrid. I've seen a couple of other posts with similar or the same story, but no one has answered mine until you. One guy said "I want answers!" and understandably ticked off, and it seems that if there are even just 3 or 4 of us who have had complete brake failures with absolutely no warning we should be getting together and making some noise.
    if your having brake problems you all need to band together and confront Nissan; this latest UA and brake problems with Toyota should be a make-up call with Nissan and other car manufactures to start taking customers who are having brake problems more seriously!!!!
  • tunesmithtunesmith Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    On Dec 2, 2009, a cold day in Wyoming, my wife was on her way to work driving our 2008 Altima with only 15,000 miles on it. Upon exiting I-80, she pushed on the brake pedal and got nothing! No slow down, nothing! Unable to stop, she was broad sided on the passengers side by a Dodge pickup doing approximately 55 mph as she went through the intersection. The car was a total loss and she was VERY sore for two months. Had she been struck on the drivers side, there is no doubt I would be a widower.
    Previously there had been no indication of any problems with the brakes.
    How many Altimas have this problem? How many people have to be injured or killed for Nissan to acknowledge they have a SERIOUS problem?
  • sorry to hear tunesmith. Hope your better half is back on her feet. certainly a shaky experience, I know, it happened to me as well.
    do what I did when my 2009 Altima Hybrid had a catastrophic failure IDENTICAL to yours.

(1) File a case with NHTSA Online.
    (2) Call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-866-799-1690. Open a case with them.
    (3) Write to Nissan consumer Affairs at:
    Nissan North America
    Consumer Affairs
    PO Box 685003
    Franklin, TN 37068-5003

I had done all this, the dealer told me the ABS Actuator had failed and took 3 weeks to replace. What was the root cause in your case? Did nissan tell you?
    I even called the local CBS station and no one cared!

We need to make more noise (apparently they dont care for forums) to make ourselves heard. Any Ideas?
  • Did you read my post from 12/23 or 12/24 2009? I had the same problem, (with my 2007 Altima) as have several others. In my case it turned out to be a hole in the brake fluid hose, but it had to have just blown out all at once, because I had no previous problem. I was going 65 and when my foot went to the floor, THEN my brake light came on. I'm lucky to be alive. I've now read a few other posts, and wonder if we should write a letter to Nissan, and maybe some other people. If we get ignored, we can do a youtube video and make a stink- but we need to first get together and figure out what it is we are asking for. All I have for proof is a dated receipt from the mechanic who fixed it.
  • My wife has complained about the '07 Altima we own. This vehicle has been in the dealership at least a couple of times for grinding brakes. They keep saying that they can find no problem. Do you have a suggestion about getting this problem fixed without BS from the dealership? Now that Toyota has been exposed, I'm sure Nissan wants to run and hide.
  • go w aftermarket brakes thats the only solution cuz the 07 brakes from the dealer wont work after 3000 mile the grinding noise come back, now i have a 2009 2.5 sl altima i already put 15000 miles and no brake problems so far but the 07was a nightmare w the brake
  • I know several people have had issues with their Nissan's. Has anyone been successful in getting them fixed? My 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe is just off warranty (36,300 miles) and my brakes are metal to metal for the second time in one year. Any help????
    edited March 2010
    here is a little tip, I ran into similar problems with my old FX35! if you guys are having that kind of problems with your brakes and rotors you guys are going to have to take your Altima's to an outside place and get some performance or thicker brake pads and cross-drilled rotors! I had to do it with my FX35! have had no problems since!

you guys are going to have to do this if you really want to break the vicious cycle; Infiniti and Nissan will just keep giving you the same faulty OEM brakes and rotors and thus the crappy cycle continues!

wish you all the best!!
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Sp what rotors or brake pads do you suggest?? Rotors mainly...How are Frozen rotors,raybestos rotors? Are there any other recommended rotors that you suggest? Thanks.
    well you really can't go wrong with anything from tirerack.com, they offer a couple of different ones; to be honest, it was so long ago that I don't even remember the names of the pads and rotors I put on, I would have to go look it up!

I'm no expert on the subject matter, I only went by what a third party mechanic told me to do! I'd recommend going to an outside place, like a American Tire & Auto, or PepBoys, or better yet, a place near you that specializes in sports cars/sport sedans! they deal with this all the time and most, at least the ones I talked to, all you have to mention is Nissan or Infiniti and rotor problems and they'll tell you what to get!! :D

Lost of Luck To You!!!

FYI - just make sure, no matter what brand you get, that the rotors are cross-drilled!!
  • bobb5bobb5 Posts: 3
    My 2008 Nissan Altima started with a "soft brake pedal and really didnt stop well.

At 6,000 miles it was squealing like a pig so I took it in and they "CUT THE ROTARS" without asking me and replaced the pads. They should have replaced the Pads and rotors.

I expect they will tell me soon that the rotors need to be replaced because they cant be "Cut Again. The car now 2 years old has 17,000. miles and its starting to Squeal slightly AGAIN.

I had a similar problem with my New Ford and Ford recalled and replaced the brake pads with a softer pad that wears out quicker but is not so HARD IT TRAPS Sand or Gravel and EATS ROTORS. Depending on where you drive desert sand or salt in snow or down a gavel raod once in a while the grit my get into the HARD Pads (designed to last longer but then they eat rotors.) Then your squealling and soft brake and poor stoping begins.

Since the pads are cheaper they go back to soft pads.

PLEASE REPORT THIS TO THE NTHSA AT :

"http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Maybe if the people here make a complaint at NHTSA they will investigate and or read these post. Also make a complaint to Nissan USA. Maybe then they will act on these brake problems.

Good luck
    Bob
  • Thank you, Bob. I cant tell you how nasty my Nissan Service people are. They always have an excuse and I had my brakes changed 3x. Same as you @ 6000 miles they put a brand new brake kit on then told me about it. I also have an 08 Altima. When I brought these posts to them they said they dont pay attention to blogs. Im so frustrated!!!
  • My 2009 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5L V6 was purchased brand new from the dealership 6 months ago. All 4 rotors were badly warped and all four brake pads were thinned at 2,300 miles - ALL were replaced by the Nissan dealership 3 times. After multiple brake and rotor replacements by the dealership, the brakes have failed (2 documented freeway accidents) within 6400 miles. Both accidents were reported to the NHTSA (once at 4400 miles and a second time at 5685 miles), but they never responded. The Bureau of Automotive Repair can only document complaints and act as a liason between myself and Nissan North America. Four lawyers were quick to request this case on my behalf due to the above circumstance and wilfull neglect upon Nissan North America. All I have to do now is sit and wait.
  • cnblathamcnblatham Posts: 1
    For the love of God what can I do about my brake problem! I've had the brakes replaced 5 time on my 07 Nissan Altima 2.5S and I have never had problems like this on the other 7 cars I've owned. It's not me like the dealer says. I all so had an electrical problem the dash and tail light keep going out. Any help!
  • victor2k6victor2k6 Posts: 6
    try after market brakes and go new rotors too maybe that wil work
  • grumpfishgrumpfish Posts: 19
    You havent exactly explained what the brake problem is.

I have an 07 and for whatever reason when I have to hit the brakes hard there is a loud rubbing sound. This even after having the pads replaced. I'm not sure if it has to do with the ABS, but as this is my umpteenth Nissan, I have never experienced anything like this before.
  • I will definitely complain, thanks for giving this information.....
    I've had the same problem, they "resurfaced" my rotors and then tried to convince me that "resurfacing" is different than "turning or cutting" .....byt this was at Urban Nissan in Duncanville TX. I have 24,000 miles on my '08 Altima and am already on my third set of brake pads (front and rear). I wonder if Nissan understands that I will never buy another Nissan nor will I recommend ANYONE buy one until they fix this problem.
  • Hey bobb5! I may have a solution to our and many others problems with these problematic Nissan Altima brakes. I was told by a dealership that it is not as uncommon as Nissan would like us to believe. I was also told that if I replace the brake pads with ceramic pads this will resolve the problem entirely! I am waiting to hear back from the regional manager (as my brake problem has been escalated....for about the 4th time hahahah). I was told that even if Nissan will not supply "free of charge" these brake pads, I can buy them and they will install them for free! Sooooo hopefully this is a fix to all our problems...FINALLY!
  • altgirlaltgirl Posts: 10
    edited December 2010
    Tarpit, you are correct you do need ceramic pads. I've also had brake problems on my 08 Altima. Nissan would like us to believe that replacing the brakes and rotors at 12,000 miles is normal. They want to call it normal wear and tear. I contacted Nissan since the dealer was not very helpful. Nissan changed the brakes and resurfacing the rotors once at 12,000 miles then again at 14,000. The second time I had to do a lot of complaining directly to Nissan, not the dealer. The second time Nissan sent a Tech from Georgia ( I live in Florida). He replaced the rotors and changed the brake pads to third party high performance brakes. He said that I should continue to use the same type of pads when they wear out. Apparently that is every 20,000 miles since I now need new pads again. The pads that were placed on my car were Adaptive One pads from NAPA (these are ceramic pads). They run around $54 for front or rear brakes plus another $145 per axle to install at the Nissan dealer. That's $400 just to have both front and rear brakes changed.

This will be my third brake change in under 36,000 miles. I contacted Nissan again, except this time Nissan refuses to do anything further stating "normal wear and tear and brakes are a consumable item". I believe they will not help me because my warranty just ran out. They try to smooth things over until the warranty expires and it is to late to file for the Lemon Law. My only solution right now is to purchase brakes and take them to the dealer to have them install. I called to find out the price to install using third party brakes that I will provide. They stated that they will not warranty any work done with parts other than Nissan even if they install the product themselves, even though that is what the Georgia tech installed. Each time I go it is a different person, no one is helpful at this point I am very angry and frustrated.

I am in the process of talking to an attorney. I believe he is willing to take the case for free, that makes me think he feels that there is a good chance of winning as there seems to be an inherent brake problem with the 08 Altimas. I for one will never buy another Nissan again. Not only that but I tell everyone I know not to buy a Nissan as they do not build quality products, nor back them up.
  • eassooneassoon Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    My wife drives her 08 Altima back and forth to work, approximately 10 miles. Belive me, she's real easy on the car. it has has 33K (been to Canada a few times).
    In Jan '11, we took it in to the dealer because of an intermittent brake light. Veridict.. the master cyclinder was faulty and the rotors were bad. Outcome. Both were replaced under our extended warranty. My dealerhsip, Buckeye Nissan, said the brakes need replacing and recommended that I change the brake fliud. This would be at my expense.
    Does anyone know if the faulty master brake cyclinder could'be caused premature wearing of the breaks?
    Unfortunately, brakes are a wear and tear item no matter what manufacturer you go with and if your out of warranty no manufacturer is going to cover the cost, that unfortunately falls on us consumers. That is not a Nissan specific issue.
  • Nissan Corporate took care of this. Way to go Nissan!!
  • I still have the OEM resurfaced rotors with pretty much like new pads. It's weird, when I replaced the front brake hardware kit, the knocking noise stopped. I replaced it like a month or so ago. Now I hear the noise again and it's pissing me off. Granted I could take it back to the place again and have it looked at. It's funny, this morning it did it once and didn't do it again. The brakes work fine and the noise occurs from like 40mph and lower, and the further I press the brake pedal, the less of a chance the noise will continue. I'm almost certain it's coming from the front left tire area. I just resurfaced my front rotors in like November, so I'm pretty sure it's not warped rotors. My steering wheel does not shake when I brake either. Anyone knows what might be happening? Any input will help. Thank you
  • lzjlzj Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you had any success with your attorney. My 2008 Nissan needs brake work and I had the same discussion that I've never had this kind of work on any other car I've owned (obviously I've had brake work done but this is different) anyway, i'm wondering if this is a "lemon' type situation or a flaw of the Nissan because I will be trading it in so fast instead of paying $600 for brakes every year. Just wondered what you found out.
  • rileyannrileyann Posts: 2
    My 1994 Nissan Altima has had intermittant ABS issues since I got it last year. In the snow or rain, the brakes behave very badly, instead of the usual ABS thumping, it sounds like metal on metal and makes some frightening noises. The ABS light comes on a few times a week and sometimes as I'm pulling out of my parking space, it will make this strange swooshing noise and I can feel a change in the brake pedal as I press it down. Today, as I was backing out of my spot, the brakes pretty much just went out all together and a different brake light came on. The brakes seems to be working now at about 20% or so. I can still stop with them, but just barely and the pedal is very close to the floor. I checked the brake fluid and it seemed empty, so I filled it but it didn't seem to make any change in the brake problem. Any ideas before on what this might be? Any ideas would be helpful before I have to throw myself at the mercy of a brake shop.
  • kwmoore4kwmoore4 Posts: 5
    The only way that we are going to stop this foolishness is to make sure that we let Consumer Reports know. Any survey that you have mark them bad. All of us are having the same exact brake issue with the Nissan Altima. Our only hope is a class action one day and then you will only get the satisfaction of knowing that they got caught with their game. I had to go through BBB to make them respond. They did what they had to do. Now the brakes are making the same noise again. JUNK!
  • cjonesmrcjonesmr Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Nissan Altima and I have already had it in the shop four times this year for new brakes. It's back in the shop again today and all I get is this is normal. I don't think so I may be a women but Im not that stupid. Im sick of getting the run around but actually getting Nissan to do anything about this problem is a joke. Im sick of worrying about my kids being in the car when my brakes might go out. I know its a matter of time before that happens so I think my best bet is buy a new car and I guarantee it will not be a Nissan. I do not consider Nissan family oriented because you better hope that your the only one in the car when the brakes go out.......