Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is this thing worth?

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,777
    I thought about that.

We have a local shop called Bel-Kirk Mustang that will install the engine for around 1000.00. I figured another grand for misc. stuff and another grand to overhaul the transmission. That's 7000.00.

Mustangs are bringing crazy money lately so I don't think a person could lose.

But...I've thought wrong before!
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,647
    "and sell the car in the end for a profit. "

I'd be surprised if you could pay a shop to do that and come out much ahead, given the unknowns with the engine and tranny. Sure, best case it all goes together fine, and you're money ahead. But I put the odds on that at about 10%.

If the majority of those 'Wheeler Dealer' cars clear maybe 10%, only including parts costs, no labor, then paying a shop would be a major gamble.

And wouldn't other folks have looked at it? If it was such an obvious money maker why's it still there?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,517
    I was under the impression that it wasn't officially for sale and isell knew somebody who knew somebody.

i could be wrong.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• I have neighbor who restores 60's Fords. He has a mint 64 Fairlaine(sp?) 500 with ~40k actual miles on it in his garage today.
    He tells me Ford did not start putting VIN numbers on engines until 1968, so any 289 of that era (without serial numbers) will be ok. The engine could be ~$500-$1k rebuilt. They are so easy to rebuild it's ridiculous. I did like 6 of those Ford engines for me and friends in the 80's, both 289 and 302's, and I'm just a "Shade Tree" type. (I was a Huey Mechanic/Crew Chief in the Army, but in Medicine after).
    The transmission could be a far worse problem if it needs a complete rebuild, as complete rebuild kits approach $1k, and good luck finding anyone nearby that will rebuild it, you could be looking at $2500 right there; however if all it needs are seals, maybe $1K or even half that. I would find out what the Tranny needs. The big question is the electricals. In storage mice can wreck havoc. The interior needs to be carefully looked at for cracks, blistered Dashboard etc. I would have a trained Body Man look at it underneath. as well as the outer body, don't forget the "Magnet Test" for bondo. The 289 Automatics are fairly common according to my neighbor.
    I agree that with a HQ interior and paint, 15k should be easy.
    Check out similar cars online for a base, but if it has hidden cancer, that hits the price HUGE.
    No, it's not officially for sale. I found out about it kinda by accident.

It WILL be for sale soon however since the owner is getting tired of it taking up space in his garage.
    I used my little magnet and detected no bondo that I could tell.

Again, the car is from So. California and cars don't rust there.

I disagree about the transmission. It's a C4 Cruisematic and they are VERY common and a snap to work on. I assumed it would need a total rebuild and a local QUALITY transmission show quoted me between 900-1200 dollars for a total rebuild.

As far as the 289 engine. It isn't seized and it looks like it's been recently gone through. Rebuilding that CAN be easy but if it needs everything including a rebore then it becomes a job for a machine shop.

The interior is a new reproduction interior that has never seen miles. It does need a dash pad but those are reproduced and aren't expensive.

It's a good car for someone with time, patience a big garage and a few dollars.

I lack the patience part myself.
    edited October 2013
    Are you SURE you don't want to buy that car for $4k??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131014087161

That thing is already at $2200 in just 2 bids. And that's a 6-cyl car.

I'm wondering if that was a "shill" bid?

If that car is REALLY worth 2200.00, the one I looked at would be worth at least three times as much as it sits.

Unbelievable!
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    Does it strike anyone else that there are no pictures of the engine?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

No, that's not unusual.

People often don't include engine photos on ebay.

I'm sure it's a grimy little 170 sitting in there.

I'm still shaking my head.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,232
    I saw a much better '65 Mustang 6 sell for $3000 a few weeks ago. It was all original, all there, unmolested and running. Soap and water, a few stitches here and there, some rattle cans for the engine bay, a power wash underneath and a cheapo paint job was all it really needed.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

That's why I'm thinking that solo 2200.00 bid was from a shill to throw some chum into the water.

But.. I could be wrong!
    But its not a solo bid. That's the high from 2 bidders. In other words, the other guy had to bid $2100 max.

could it be 2 shills? Sure. But if you are going to bother, just set the opening bid at $2k and be done with it. But people do weird things, right?

• garv214garv214 Posts: 162
    edited October 2013
    The 2 bids are from the same EBayer... The bidder only has a feedback of 3, so it could be a shill bid. But he has been bidding on a whole bunch of Ford items, so he may be looking for parts...
    you can bid against yourself? I didn't know that. Doesn't make much sense.

Three days to go and no more bids on that Mustang!
    I lost track! did it sell? Anyone know?
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    It looks to me like it sold for $2910, unless the buyer regains his sanity.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

paid too much for it.

Well now the owners's wife tells me that I can have everything for 3000.00!

" We just want it out of the garage now"

By "everything" they mean all books and manuals, all of the parts, an engine stand (with 289 mounted) a cherry picker, go jacks and a "bunch" of other stuff.

Now, if that POS Mustang on Ebay REALLY brought that kind of money, this one seriously should be worth three times that!

thinking.....thinking....
    Deals like this depend entirely on how much of the work you're going to do yourself and how much labor is farmed out. "Project cars" are always a big question mark, so you don't go by price guides, or even comparables of complete and running cars. "Project cars" require their own careful consideration.

Pay no more for it than you'd get back if you dumped it, as is, on someone else.

Sounds like a helluva deal.

It's not the money so much.

It's just the time, space and commitment that I'm struggling with.

I do think that were they to advertise it someone would snap it up in an instant.

Decisions......what to do?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,949
    Time and space. You'd no doubt be able to break up the lot and make a nice profit, but you might end up making $2/hr when it is all done.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2013
    Might a compromise be to have a garage do the engine/transmission installation, and you take it from there? Or is there lots to do before they can be put in?

edit - Now I remember you saying something about reworking the tranny (maybe the engine), so how about renting a storage unit for a few months to store that chassis while that's being done, when they're ready tow the chassis to the shop, and go from there...
    Hey buddy!

You live nearby. Any space in your garage?
    The engine sits on a stand and it isn't frozen.

The transmission has been sitting for 23 years along with everything else so I'm sure the seals and o rings are shot.

There is a place nearby that only does Mustangs. They said they would install everything for around a grand. Might be a good idea.

Fintail....Are you familiar with Bel-Kirk Mustangs on Bel Red Rd.
    edited October 2013
    The only way this is going to work for you is if you build most of it. Remember, you can buy a nice one for $15K, so work off of that as you calculate risk/desire/motivation/space etc. Do the math, see how it comes out and use at least a 1.5 multiplier as a fudge-factor.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,949
    Nope, never been there. But I have seen the Mustang show at Bellevue College a few times, there's no doubt a local group of enthusiasts.

I could probably only fit a couple hubcaps in my extra garage space.
    You and I are on the same page.

I can't tell you how often I have given the same advice.

BUY ONE THAT IS ALREADY DONE!

Thanks for talking me down!