Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is this thing worth?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,515
    Could be. I think it was a legit ad, pic looked right, phone number was (almost) correct.

Lots of ads on craigslist from flippers wanting old sports cars for nothing, one of them probably stalks the listings and replied first.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    sometimes a legit seller gets like 50 phone calls on the first day, and withdraws the ad because he realizes he posted it too cheap.

If that ad were near me, I'd have it in my driveway as of 7 AM this morning. You can flip just about any TR3 that isn't in 35 separate cardboard boxes.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,610
    Hey, I tried!

The bad phone number did make me leary.
    I wonder if that was deliberate, the bad # ? Forces you to e-mail and let appears legit in the ad, to suck you in.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    edited March 2011
    good deals do come up on craigslist. I don't think that price on the TR3 was crazy cheap given the condition, but I could be wrong, of course. Not everybody knows the fair market value of a car. I'd like to think everything I've bought on ebay and craigs was a good deal. I mean, the rust-free 300Z for $1k stands out to me. It was a case of the seller not knowing what he had and putting up a really crappy ad with one crappy pic. The 740 wagon I bought for my brother for $1100 with less than 100k miles was another one. It does happen.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

edited March 2011
    Yep, the price on the TR3 was crazy cheap. You can sell a really ratty one for $10,000 no problem. The Volvo you mentioned (about a 90 or 91?) is market correct, sorta kinda, for a clean one---maybe $1500 tops. The TR is a highly prized collectible is the reason, whereas the Volvo is just an old used car in plentiful supply.

I'm sure there are "Curbstoners" who monitor the Craigslist ads like a hawk and when they see something that is undervalued they rush over and buy it.

Probably not just cars either.

I once bought an Isuzu pickup diesel and I kept it a couple of years before I had no use for it. I had NO IDEA that these are (were, anyway) highly sought after and near impossible to find.

I immediatly got a call for m a guy who rushed over and gave me a deposit. He told me he would have the cash in two days.

I had two days of non stop phone calls including several from a woman who kept offering me more and more for it. She finally offered me 500.00 more than I sold it for.

I did take her number in case my buyer flaked out but he did show up as promised.

I screwed up but a handshake is a handshake.
    I think the Isuzu gold rush is over but maybe it's a cult thing. If it were a 4X4 space cab that might be worth something.

This was a low mile rust free little truck.

It was sitting on a lot with a For Sale sign when I bought it. I almost passed because it was a diesel. It was slow but very rugged.

I'll bet I got 25 phone calls on it.
    Well depends on your price of course. Put $5900 and the phone wouldn't ring, but $2000 and it might.

Trucks are always hard to value because they still have utilitarian value, unlike old cars. A gardener looks at a beat-up truck as a still valuable tool, whereas a car collector looks at a beat up old car as something needing time and money.

• Hey, Mr shiftright, was wondering how much you found out about your 68 BB convt. I too have a 68 BB SS convt,w/th400. I'm new here and hope to find some intresting ides maybe some (Facts) also, Thanks
    Not MY BB, but a member's. What info are you looking for about your car?

• I am trying to figure out the worth of my car. Either to sell for parts or just if someone wanted to fix it up. It is a blue 1990 supercharged ford thunderbird with about 66,000 miles on it. Something is up with the ABS system and we've had it looked at and the part is still under warranty. Also, something is draining the battery in about a days time and my mom and I cannot figure out what it is. I know very little about cars and have been told by a lot of people that I could get some money off of the engine. I dont have a clue if this is true so I am kind of just looking for an opinion from someone on how much they think this car is worth or the engine alone.
    Thanks ya'll.

-Kels
    We' d need some idea of the condition of the body, the paint and the interior, like:

pristine--mint, like new
    clean-- (clean in and out)
    average --has some stains, small dings, chips, could use a coat of wax
    fair -- car looks like it has needs even from across the street
    poor -- a very shabby automobile

• gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,760
  • I'd say its Average.
    I mean, I didn't pay a huge amount for it, but I would love to get back at least what I paid for it. And, I don't want someone to low ball me and me just take it because I don't know the worth. That's why I thought I would ask around and get some opinions.
    Well given the mechanical issues and the "average" condition, and that you can find them pretty clean and running well for around $3000, I'd say $1500 is the full blue sky limit on this, and I'd take any close offer to that, down to say $1K.

• Can anyone identify this wayward bumper? Is it worth more than scrap? I won't sell it unless I can identify it.

Thanks in advance!

Dan">

Looks 50s truck-ish.

• Good lead! With a little research based on 1950's truck bumpers I found that this appears to be a front bumper for a Chevy/GMC, 2nd Series, 1955 - 1959.

Thanks for your help!!

Dan