Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera 2009

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    After talking with a couple of dealers, they really don't like selling the Azera with the 3.3 in it. I mean...what they ask for in price, one could get a fully loaded Sonata, get more options, same engine and be better off in terms of resale value (fully loaded Sonata vs. base model Azera).
  • I purchased a 2009 Azera with the ultimate package and I drove the car for a week thinking the mirrors tilted down when the car is placed in reverse or so I thought. I took the car to the dealer to have them fix the shade for the rear window. I told them also that my mirrors no longer tilt down. When I picked the car up from the service department they told me the 2009 Azera does not have a tilt dowm mirror function. I have heard otherwise from other people that the mirror function was on the ultimate package only. Since the car is so new I have not been able to find another car with the ultimate package. Anybody know?

Bollingen
  • bayonetbayonet Posts: 8
    Hello Members:

I am the proud owner of a 2009 Azera. After reading many of your comments on this blog (and others) - conducting my own research and a few test drives - I am confident that I made an informed (hopefully smart as well) choice of a full size luxury sedan. The changes to the interior - two tone color scheme - blue lighting darker wood - more use of chrome trim, make the car even more luxurious than previous models.

I will keep you posted on how it performs! : :)
    Congratulations Bollingen!

I just posted my message of becoming a New 2009 Azera owner and noticed your at the same time. I have the Ultimate Package. In reading thowners manual last nite - I too saw the feature regarding exterior mirrors tilting down whenever you move the shift lever to reverse. I have not tested this as yet but will let you know if it is an active feature.

The manual did say that the control button for the exterior mrrors must be in the center position for this to work. How do you like the 09?

Bayonet
  • cdmuilecdmuile Posts: 152
    No, the mirrors have never tilted down on US models. This was discussed on the forums in early '06. You would think by now Hyundai would have corrected the owners manual. I guess not. You both have purchased really great cars. I've surprised many a Beemer 5 owners at the stoplight. Enjoy!!
  • My original choice was to purchase the Genesis but the dealers would not budge from sticker so I seen the Azera on the show room floor and and the dealer gave me a great price. I really like the car and the it has greatly improved from earlier models. I owned two XG350's and got used to tilting mirrors.

Bollingen
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    Welcome, Bayonet. Sounds like you got a sweet car!

Tell us what colors you chose, and feel free to post pictures -- there's been a lot of discussion here about the interior changes in particular.

Finally, let us know anything you observe about the ride, handling and suspension behavior, since that's said to be the most important area of potential improvement for '09.

Enjoy your new ride!
  • Bayonet,

Have you checked the your car to see if the mirrors tilt down when in reverse?
    If they don't, that will be disapointing, I really like that feature.

The car I bought stickered for 31,465 and I got it for 27,400. Of course, I paid too much for the GPS I bought seperately form the dealer. Should have known better but, it was only $90 over priced.

Bollingen
  • ratledgeratledge Charleston county, South CarolinaPosts: 233
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but - as far as I know no "made for the US" Azera has this feature. If you read the fine print in the owners' manual it says "if so equipped". American cars are not. ;)
    Hi Tony,

I purchased the Limited with the Silk Beige Metallic Exterior and the Beige Interior. I also thought about the Crimson Red but the Beige really is a rick looking color!

I will post photos later tonite.

:)
    Hi Tony

Here is a link to photos of my Azera:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Redleg70/2009Azera

I tried to capture the blue lighting of the interior - not sure how well these photos will appear.

:)
    Sharp. Very sharp.

I especially like the high resolution of that radio display.

I'm officially jealous. Enjoy!
    I got to peek inside a '09 Azera this past Friday. Can't say I'm wild about the chrome accents, I like them better as silver, but....I do like the way they finally matched the lighting with the climate control and radio with the rest of the gauges.
  • alymacalymac Posts: 31
    Hi Azera owners,
    Have any of you dropped your Azera to close the fender gap..modest drop? Seoulfulracing offers both lowering springs and coilovers by SMA. Has anybody
    purchased either of these items? And if so what is your opinion. I have be told
    that one can change from springs and struts/shocks to coilovers..Any comment on this?
    Appreciate your thoughts on this subject
    Alymac
    alymac...if you look on www.Cardomain.com, you'll see a few of them on there that have dropped the suspension. It really looks nice too.

opirusXG's CarDomain Page

ELNINORUDO's CarDomain Page

martianiv's CarDomain Page
  • budhbudh Posts: 109
    For an invoice price of $1,365, is the Ultimate package (with no navigation unit) really worth getting in the 2009 Limited Azera?

605-watt Infinity Logic 7 surround sound audio system
    Power tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel
    Power-adjustable foot pedals
    Integrated memory system
    Rain-sensing windshield wipers
    Woodgrain-trimmed steering wheel and door pulls
    Premium door sill scuff plates

For someone that doesn’t need an Grade A stereo system and will be the one driving the car all the time, it seems many of those items above wouldn’t matter much to me.

Can someone give me a convincing argument to get the Ultimate package on the Limited Azera? (OK, maybe that it might be difficult to even FIND a 2009 Limited Azera with no option packages!)

Bud H
  • hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    Nope..... Using your parameters I wouldn't get the package. However I have this package and love it. (and so does my wife)
  • I have a 2007 with it and it was the best decision I made. I drive my car 95% of the time, but when I take it in for servicing or to the car wash, the memory is great. Also, anytime the mirrors get bumped or I fold them in, it gets them back where I want them. The rain sensing wipers are much more useable than I originally thought (when it rains). Even with several intermittent settings on my previous cars, I would have to keep adjusting the settings.
    Even though I am short, I like to sit back from the instrument panel and the adjustable pedals allow me to do that. The power tilt and telescope gives you a lot more variation in where to place the steering wheel.
    Of course, it is a decision for you to make.
    Enjoy it.
  • Mirrors do not tilt down in USA, at least up through 2007 model. However, if you have memory, you can tilt the mirrors down and then hit memory to reset them. Probably would not want to do it very often, but I have used it when backing into a parking space.
    So with all the discussion on the suspension issues and too soft springs problems the last few years in the Azera, does anyone know if the issue has been corrected in the 2009 version?

Bud H
  • :)

We believe that this issue has been corrected starting with the late
    2008 models which were produced beginning 10/20/07 and later.
    Any changes were to the shocks only, and nothing else. Both front
    and rear shocks were changed to numbers ending in 640.

A few of us have changed the front shocks to these latest parts, and that change
    has made a big difference. One person even changed the rear shocks also.

One person who had changed his front shocks believed that the front springs needed
    to be made stiffer and I thought about doing this also until I got the new shocks,
    but have since decided not to do so because ours would then ride too stiffly. :surprise:

Hyundai has definitively made a big difference with these new shocks.
    Not only are they better programmed, but we think that the newer shocks will hold up
    better in the long run, something that some of the older shocks were not doing.
    In many cases with cars produced prior to 10/20/07, the original shocks plus the TSB replacement
    shocks have failed in as little as 5,000 miles or in some cases even sooner

That is why a few of us have changed to the later parts.
    No one I know of has experinced any problems with these latest parts.

Write to me privately if you need more information and I will explain further. ;)

:D

Delfin
  • With all the posts on suspension problems with the Azera, I am pleased to hear that Hyundai has apparently (and finally) corrected this situation, starting with the late '08 models and continuing into the 09's. Does this mean that the soft handling has been stiffened up to the point where the ride is now a little more on the sport side than prior to this change, or is this just elimating the clunking problem.

Can you pls elaborate in more detail on this issue. I have been seriously considering buying an Azera but have been turned off by the suspension problems. Everything else about the car appears to be first rate except for this.

I'm posting this message rather than writing to you privately since I'm sure there are others others out there who would like additional info
    on this "fix". Does anyone else have a comment on this apparent fix on the Azera suspension problem? This could help Hyundai sell more Azeras. A pretty sharp car otherwise.

Thanks, cbar34
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, it would be great if budh would ask any other questions here and you respond to them here. Since this is an online community, we all benefit from the open exchange of information. Taking the conversation offline deprives present and future readers of very helpful information. Thanks!
    Any idea which model year will be the next major revision to the Azera?
  • I have been seriously considering buying an Azera but have been turned off by the suspension problems.

There are undoubtably a few people who have experienced some front suspension problems, but IMO, the vast majority of Azera owners ( myself included ) are quite satisfied with the suspension. The springs are soft for a smooth ride, so it doesn't handle like a sports sedan - if you want crisp handling look elsewhere. Try to ignore your preconception of " suspension problems ", and take it, along with any other cars on your list, for a long test drive on roads you frequently travel. You may be surprised.
    Not for at least another 2-1/2 years. It's also still an open question whether the Azera will survive longer-term in this market at all, though it appears destined to remain alive here for at least another year.
    I don't know Tonycd, with the sheet metal still being the same going into the 4th model year, it could be coming a little sooner. It would fit with the Hyundai trend. The Sonata was changed in 02, then in '06 and then the '09. With the Sonata looking more like the Azera now, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010 Azera was the one that got the refresh.

I know this is off topic, but has anyone seen the new Mazda 6? Slick lookin ride!!!
  • I am very pleased with my car except for the wallowing (new 640 shocks on order). Try and find one with a few miles on it and test drive it. Rental cars? Look for roads with dips or rises, railroad tracks, manhole covers, etc. This is where the wallow shows up - may not be a problem anymore. However, Car and Driver noted damper/spring concerns on the Genesis on their backroads drive.
    For those dealing with snow and ice during the winter, how are the original tires that come with the 2009 Azera Limited? And what are good all season replacements that would perform well in the snow? (I do much driving in southwest Michigan early in the morning before the winter roads are plowed.)

Bud H
  • If the 2009 has the same tires as my 2006 Azera, Michelin Energy MXV, you may not be satisfied with their winter performance.

We live in SE Michigan ( certainly get less snow than you ), and after the first winter on the original tires, which we found to be a bit squirrelly in the snow, replaced them with winter tires - Michelin Alpin. The winter tires are almost as quiet, and ride a bit stiffer, but the confidence they provide on snow and ice is very much worth the tradeoff for us.

We have chrome wheels with the stock tires for summer, and put the Alpins on the stock wheels for winter. This allows us to save on mount/dismount costs twice a year since Discount Tire, where we bought the Alpins, does it for free. We rotate when the tires are changed for winter and summer, so we never pay for rotation either. The winter tires are cheaper than the stock Michelins, so we have also extended the time before the more more expensive stock tires need replacement.

The only rub with this methodology is that you have to keep the car long enough to justify the cost. If you're going to get rid of the car after a couple years, the stock tires will probably be adequate, but definitely not as safe.