Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera 2009

Comments

• joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The new in-house 6-speed tranny will debut first on the Azera this January (defn. for the Korean domestic market), and then Santa Fe. Edmunds has a recent article stating the 6spd would eventually spread to 16 different models (which I am guessing including Kias as well - ie Sorento).
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    Boy, buying cars is getting to be like buying computers: If you can wait longer, you'll always get more.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Hyundai Azera will get new 6-speed transmission

Kathy Jackson
    Automotive News
    January 9, 2009 - 3:59 pm ET

LOS ANGELES -- The Hyundai Azera sedan will be the first U.S. vehicle to get the new six-speed automatic transmission developed by Hyundai Motor Co.

The transmission, the first six-speed developed in-house by Hyundai, will be in Azeras with 3.3-liter V-6 engines. The Azera also is available with a 3.8-liter V-6.

Hyundai says the transmission will enable the Azera to get about 20 mpg city/29 highway, compared with 18/26 on the 2009 Azera with a five-speed automatic. The company also says the six-speed enables the Azera to go from 0-60 in 7.8 seconds, compared with 8.0 seconds with the five-speed.

Hyundai is building the transmission in Korea and will start putting it in the Azera this month. It has not priced the Azera with the six-speed transmission. The 2009 Azera with the five-speed retails for $25,695, including shipping.

The redesigned Santa Fe SUV, scheduled to arrive in late 2009 or early 2010, also will get the new transmission.
    Thanks as always for the scoops, Joe.

Very interesting. Addresses one of the foremost complaints about the Azera.

Next question is, will the Limited still be unavailable with the 3.3? This will mean a lot less if it's only available with the slow-selling stripper model (even though it isn't really very stripped).
  • cobrazeracobrazera Posts: 352
    Next question is, will the Limited still be unavailable with the 3.3? Good question.
    We could be seeing the beginning of reducing engine displacements for better fuel economy. With lots of manufacturers going to direct injection, they're able to get comparable HP from smaller engines. Couple that with the limits imposed by torque steer in FWD applications, and we could see displacements dropping.
    I just saw the a write up on the new Buick LaCrosse, a car I previously would not have given a second glance at. The car is gorgeous and comes with a direct injection 3.0 ( I would estimate close to 250HP ) as well as the regular 3.6 liter.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Actually Cobrazera...I'm wondering with Hyundai bring a diesel engine option to the Veracruz, will a diesel engine trickle down to the sedans. It would seem the move to make with Volkswagen doing it as well as BMW releasing diesel sedans now as well. Personally, I think it would be a better option than going with smaller displacement, direct-injection engines.
    A good point, but diesels are going to cost more due to their turbochargers, expensive catalysts, etc., and weigh more due to the cast iron required to withstand the combustion pressures.
    So long as diesel fuel is not much more expensive than gas right now ( probably due largely to decreased demand by commercial trucking ) it would still be a viable option. Problem is, when the economy takes off and demand for diesel fuel increases, look for the price to be way more than gas again - like it was last spring and summer.
    According to a C&D editorial that I read a while back, our country lacks sufficient refinery capacity for diesel fuel. Over 60% of U.S. refinery output is gasoline, and that ratio can not change in favor of diesel without building new refineries ( BTW, Europe refineries produce over 60% diesel fuel ). Spending billions on new construction is something the major oil companies are reluctant to do - especially considering that overall fuel economy continues to improve and demand will drop. If capacity stays tight, prices stay high, and they make more profit - hence no incentive to invest the money.
    As far as fuel economy goes, the new Ford Fusion Hybrid has raised the bar with what gasoline power in a midsize sedan can do.
    How much more? I would think the price would be offset with the savings in fuel. Look at the Jetta TDI...when compared to the regular gas burning 2.0 T's...price increase of maybe $1500-2500 and you jump at least 10 mpg better. Depending on the amount of driving you do, that price difference can quickly be offset in fuel savings.
    At 15K miles per year, with the Jetta gas motor getting 25MPG and the diesel getting 35MPG, annual fuel costs are exactly the same with gas at $2.50/gal and diesel at $3.50/gal. Cost for comparable models ( SE and TDI ) shows the TDI to be $3000 more in initial cost, offset somewhat by tax credits on the diesel .
    Even assuming maintenance to be the same ( IMO, the diesel would cost more ), the diesel is still not a moneysaving proposition unless you're getting your fuel at McDonalds and Waffle house.
    I rented a diesel Ryder truck to move my mother's household goods from Fla to Michigan a couple years ago and lived with the pluses and minuses of a diesel. It pulled hard up the mountains without a downshift, but refill time was spent with the stinky semis with oily and smelly hands. IMO, hybrid is a better way to go, at least here in the U.S.
    You know...IF that were the case, I would agree completely, but in my area...regular gas is $1.76/gal. and diesel is $2.49/gal. So, yes...there would be some savings, but it would take a little longer to recoup the price difference. Using the diesel moving truck as an example is really bad. I say that because most gas staions in the DC Metro area have diesel pumps nestled between the regular gas pumps, so you would be filling up amongst regular cars. You mention the iron used as the metal that can withstand the combustion, that's offset by the huge increase in torque most diesel engines offer...it can easily pull that extra weight around and now they are making them with more horespower and turbo-charging them for more ooomph. I actually like the way the diesel engines are evolving.

Hybrids...really are a joke unless you drive into the city on a daily basis. People kill me when they go out to buy a hybrid only to drive it to the metro station or use for weekend running and it's mostly highwy miles. You do not begin to tap into a hybrid's full capability until you are driving it in stop and go traffic. If you go an compare a non-hybrid model to it's hybrid mate...the highway mileage is pretty much the same, the big difference is the city mileage.
  • Hello forum members,

I am new to Hyundai, the Azera, and the forum. After finding your forum, I have a question for you. My 09 Azera has a suspension noise (clunking noise) when going over bumps at city driving speeds. Is this normal noise or am I experiencing the dreaded clink some of the earlier models had?
    At highway speeds the car handles well and is sooooooo quiet. That is why we bought it.
    Thanks,
    Bud
  • Hi Snaglepus - Thanks for the information - I am going to rush home to check my "born on" date. I bought my car in July 2008 and I think it rides OK - but since I drove a 1999 - 5 speed - Hyundai Tiburon (which I love) for the past 9 years - I'm not used to a "luxury" car - so I might not know the difference. My question is - if people are having "suspension" issues - since the car is under warranty couldn't they just take the car back and have it fixed by the dealer?
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A national business reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Hyundai because of the Assurance Program (or Assurance Program Plus). Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, March 13, 2009.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hi Bud.

Opinions on the suspension issue are not unanimous. Here's the best summary I can offer, along with a bit of advice: Don't assume the most vociferous opinions are necessarily the consensus on what's right for your car.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f43c4/1133
  • lovlandlovland Posts: 1
    Hello guys...about a week ago some ********scratched my black Azera 2009 with something sharp and left a very unpleasent mark on my car ,i wanted to ask if its possible to buy the original black color for this car or sth of high quality that is made for Azera 2009 Black..can you guys do me a favor and introduce me an online market where i can get the original color for my car to be able to fix the scratches.btw theye are Hyundai dealers here who would do the job ..but i dont trust their work,so i wanted to find the and buy a pack of original color for my car to fix it myself....Any help would be appriciated.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Posts: 160
    You can buy touch-up paint tubes from either your local Hyundai dealer's part department or try some online merchant like
    http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/

I don't know how extensive the damage is. But seldom can you fix it by yourself & almost all the time they stand out like a sore thumb. I would seriously urge you to go to a professional body shop & get them to do it.

You don't need to go to a Hyundai dealer to fix it. Look for a reputed body shop. My advice is to find the body shop of your local luxury dealer such as Lexus, BMW, MB, Porsche etc. They usually have the latest & greatest equipment & usually are better trained than your local Hyundai dealer's bodyshop people. Get a quote from multiple good body shops, look at their reviews & then choose a shop.

If the quotes aren't too expensive, you can pay for it yourself. If it turns out to be expensive, you can ask your insurance to cover it.

I would seriously urge you not to try to do it yourself. It never ever turns out well & you might do more damage than good.

Good luck!
    Here's another link you can try as well...

Brandsport: Touch Up Paint
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Posts: 62
    Just ordered a new iTouch. Am I getting my hopes up too high that it will work with the bluetooth in my Azera?
  • ratledgeratledge Posts: 231
    Anybody seen the 2011 Azera yet? I haven't heard much (if anything) about it, but here's a pix: image