Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
I thought there was at least a thread or two on the Coupe but I can't find them now. Anyway, thanks for the setup.

Here is the domestic market ad, which is arriving into showroom this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyk8haSjVow

Me want :)

Comments

• civictd04civictd04 Member Posts: 5
    I know, that car in that color... drool...
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Here is a HKS tuned one. Gosh it looks good!

http://www.hyundaifans.com/rides/viewtopic.php?t=11&f=27
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I know it's a long way off, as the current football season is only 2 weeks old (about to be 3), but Hyundai is expected to show another series of ads during the next Superbowl. This time, instead of the Genesis sedan, it'd be the coupe's turn, with the product expected to appearing in US showroom around the same timeframe.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I think we were kind of combining the Genesis sedan and Coupe threads together for a while there. I thought there was a Genesis Coupe thread already, too. Wow, that HKS-tuned Genesis Coupe looks hot!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    Nice yellow.

link title
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    ">link titlehttp://coupe.the-genesis.co.kr/"

The car is officially launched in Korea last week.

While the car will be a bargain in the States, the fully load V6 model
    costs more than $35K in Korea before tax.
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    Tirerack.com now has the Genesis Coupe listed. You can check out the available tires to upgrade from the OEM's.
  • jeffreidjeffreid Member Posts: 162
    Anyone else notice the paddle shifters for the V6? Or the 223 lb/ft at 2K RPM on the Turbo?

I thought that would be a great feature to include, but I never thought HMA would do it. Sounds like they are serious about this car.

If it is as solid a coupe as the sedan is a, uh, sedan, then I think that this is going to be a real treat!!
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    Back in May 08 MotorTrend article a spokesman for the company claims Hyundai is committed to selling the lowest priced 300 hp rear drive car in the US. With an est price of $25K.

Looks like they have some work to do to make that goal as the 2010 LS Camaro with 300 hp will start at $22,995.

The balls in your court Hyundai, now bring that price down for me.. :)
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Looks like they have some work to do to make that goal as the 2010 LS Camaro with 300 hp will start at $22,995.

Assuming of course GM survives long enough to launch it.

Hope I am wrong but probably not going to happen.

Actually, at the time when Hyundai said the Genesis coupe would be the most inexpensive 300hp coupe, they were absolutely correct. There would have been no way for them to anticipate the future (ie. Camaro pricing)
    I think GM will survive just fine with the new prez wanting to create and save jobs in a couple of weeks. Sure it may take an extra $125 billion or so to do it... But, what's the price of staving off a Depression?

The Camaro will be out about the same time as the G-coupe in a few months.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Camaro selling for $21K after a $2K rebate later in 09...

I can't wait to see how Hyundai handles 09 pricing after the initial excitement wears off.
    My Azera lease expires in April. Anyone know when the Coupe will arrive?
    Hyundai says it arrives into showroom this month.
    "Hyundai says it arrives into showroom this month."

Thanks. Will be interesting to see what the dealers do in terms of "Market Adjustment" price additions.
    The Hyundai coupe is starting to sound like a big hyped up yawn to me for $30K.
    When you can get a top rated Nissan sport coupe like the 370Z at the same price and does zero to 60 in 4.8 seconds. Plus looks excellent.

Or a Subaru WRX for $25K, zero to 60 in 4.7

Or the Camaro for even less than $25K

I'm a little disappointed with Hyundai's price and effort.
    When you compare apple to apple in terms of features, the Z still comes out thousands above the Gen Coupe. The Z should be faster for a two seater,

Still, the closest competitor of the Genesis Coupe is the G37 Coupe.

Anyway, I have no problem with the Genesis coupe, in terms of the price and the effort. The base I4 turbo and the V6 are both priced attractively, and the car itself a very very good first effort from Hyundai and another excellent product from the Korean automaker.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    do some research before you post.

similarly equipped 370z will be about 7 grand more and it's only seats two.

WRX does not run 4.7 0-60. STI does, but again, similarly equipped STI will be near 40k and the new design is butt ugly.

camaro is the only viable option, but not everyone likes the retro look.

and every magazines posted sub 6 seconds except edmunds.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    anyway, gen coupe will be all about modding the 4 banger turbo. it will out sell V6 3 to 1.
    Pleeze wolverine, don't be an idiot.
    Nobody wants a nice $30K car with a 4 banger turbo that they have to modify because it comes with a weak turbo eng...lol

People want a hot V-6 that compares to the rest...geez
    The base turbo 4 starts at 22K (plus 750 DPH), and I don't think it comes even close of reaching 30K. Later this year, Hyundai will roll out the R-Spec, which is intended to be the ultimate canvas for enthuaists and tuners.

How is the turbo 4 engine weak?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    People want a hot V-6 that compares to the rest...geez

Or... they want a lighter 4cyl that they can modify for the track.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jyymjyym Member Posts: 18
    Then for $40K, the G37 must be a real bore since it's only 2/10ths of a second quicker than the 3.8 GenCoupe - lol.
    You got that right iyym.
    I'll take a G coupe V-6 in touring mode with a limited slip dif, a ZF 6 spd auto trans and a telescoping steering column for $27K.
    Too bad Hyundai doesn't offer such a car. yawn
    ??

Were you trying to be sacrastic there?
    In terms of straight line performace when compared to Mustang GT and Nissan Z37, looks like the 3.8 Track better stay on the porch.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0905_hyundai_genesis_coupe_mustan- - g_fighter_or_cut_price_nissan_370z/index.html
    Really, what's the point of your repetitive, insipid posts?

In that case, the G37, RX-8 (which is more than a tick slower than the Genesis), the Cayman, the Miata, etc. should all "stay on the porch".
    Really, what's the point of your repetitive, insipid posts?

Simple, maybe even for you. I posted this originally in "sedans" in error rather than "coupes". An error is posting is hardly "repetitive, insipid".
    Fine, I take back the repetitive, but it still remains insipid.
    "Fine, I take back the repetitive, but it still remains insipid"

Perhaps in your opinion. Other may find the comparison details interesting as I did. The M/T video on youtube was even more interesting.

But, you can always try what our host Pat suggests, don't read what doesn't interest you.
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    I took a 4 cyl Genesis Coupe for a test ride on Tuesday. It was red with the premium package, 6 spd. I've been impressed with the looks of the sedan and was looking forward to driving the coupe. First it looks good. Nice lines and shapes. Onto the drive. The outside temperature was hot (95 F) and the A/C was struggling to cool the car, problem for hot regions. The seat was comfortable and easy to adjust (I'm 225 lbs, 6 ft). The controls were good. My only complaint here is the information display is a little difficult to see when the car is pointing towards the sun. The ride is hard and any bad road imperfection will be felt inside the car. The car felt solid however the hard ride is a concern for future squeaks and rattles. It has a nice exhaust note inside the car. The engines torque doesn't kick in until the RPM's are passed 3.5K. I've driven a VW GTI 2008 and its 4 cyl turbo torque kicks in around 1.8K. You have to push the Genesis Coupe to get the smile factor going. The six speed is smooth however the Honda manuals are smoother. The stereo sounds good but on bad roads it does compete with the intruding noise. It has a small trunk probably due to the rear wheel drive geometry. The back seat looked usable but only on short trips. The back seat does fold forward for say carrying a snow board? I'm not brave enough to buy the initial year release of a auto. Also I want a little more utility so this car is definitely not a qualifier. Anyway I'm impressed with there initial rear wheel drive coupe offering. I've never driven the Tiburon.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    FYI, Speed TV is running a Hyundai Genesis Coupe Test Drive at 3PM eastern time today. Enjoy. ;)
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    Hyundai really should have added the DGI into it which would have added 20-40 horses. It sounds good initially when you step on the gas but it is a bit of a teaser getting up to speed . Otherwise it is definitely an impressive made car which a great chassis , handling characteristics and sporty interior.

Cant' really fault hyundai to make the turbo progress in a steady fashion than to have it bullet the car to speed so that it will prevent you from making frequent visits to the gas station.

so just some advice for those getting the 2.0T, can't wait until hyundai add the dgi into it eventually but want more juice out it(without breaking the bank) , add preimum fuel which increase horses from 210 to 223, add a performance air filter(2 or 3 horses) , replace the headers and cams with perfomance ones(2-3 horses) but don't mess around with the exhaust system or ECU (not worth the risks). If all of these things are done you could go from 210 to near 230 horses which should improve your 0-60 times from 7.2-7.5 sec to 6.7-6-9 range.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    From what I've been reading when the GC is compared to other vehicles, Mustang GT(notice not v6 like other comp.) G37, Camaro, they all beat the GC in performance and handling but barely. I don't know about you guys, but besting the competition by 2 or 3 tenths of a second from 0-60 isn't all that. Let us all remember one thing here too, the competition as been at this for some years now and this is Hyundai's first attempt at RWD and look how close they are to the main competitors.

Also of note: Ford really needs to do something with it's v6 powerplant. I mean if you have to use your v8 variant to compare against your v6 competitors and barely win, than what message does that really send. What do you guys think?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    When C/D compared the Camaro to the Genesis coupe, the Genesis beat the Camaro in performance and handling. The Camaro beat the Genesis in ride comfort and "gotta have it."
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Yeah it did, but barely. The GC is a better daily driver though, how many times will you really get to fling a car around to get the benefit of those 0-60 and quarter mile times? I mean are you gonna see how fast you can make to the supermarket and back home.
  • greekboyggreekboyg Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to buy a new sports car under 35,000, i was considering this car, but suddenly the camro seems so much better, what do you guys think?????????
  • stovebolterstovebolter Member Posts: 53
    Well, it's your money, so it doesn't matter too much what anyone else thinks ;)

That said, if it were me, I think I'd go for the Genesis Coupe over the Camaro. The V6 Genesis and V6 Camaro are neck and neck in terms of performance, with the Genesis having a slight edge.

What makes the difference for me is the styling. The Genesis is considerably smaller than the Camaro and has a much cleaner look, in my opinion, and the interior is modern and refined. The Camaro is big, heavy, and the styling doesn't do it for me. I tried to like it, but the exterior retro-theme just doesn't work. The interior is worse, it looks very forced and gimmicky.

Now with your price point, you may very well be looking at a V8 Camaro - and that powertrain is very impressive. I don't think the Genesis can really compete with it.

So for me, it's the V6 Hyundai over the V6 Chevy, but I stand by my first comment - what I think doesn't matter one bit when it's your money. In any case, try to take each one for a test drive before making any decisions, and good luck :D
  • dnbbdnbb Member Posts: 4
    While I was at the dealer looking at a Sonata for my wife, I drove a 6-spd 4-cyl turbo. I liked how it handled and it seemed to have decent pep. The seats were supportive but comfortable, the car has a great feel, and it looks good inside and out. I had been considering a mustang for myself but the Genesis might have swayed me in its direction today.
  • ncage1974ncage1974 Member Posts: 15
    Hey guys, currently have an 08 4cyl accord. Its a pretty good car its just getting boring. I want something a little more sporty. I have been doing some research over the past couple of weeks on what to get. I have looked at the G8 GT V8, Geneis Coupe V6, Camero V6, and MazdaSpeed3. I test drove a V6 Gensis and was pretty impressed. Unfortunately the dealer had neither a track edition or a manual tranny on the lot. I test drove a red grand touring which was pretty sweet. I love every angle of the car except for the front (wish the would change that)...it looks like it sucking on a lemon from the front. Only bad thing i can say is my salesperson didn't know squat about the car. Every question i asked him he fumbled. Anyways here are my questions:

1) For people that had the chance to test drive both the Grand Touring & the track how much worse is the ride in the track edition? Its it really harsh. Thats what sucks about these "professional reviews". The reviewers can never agree. Ive heard all the way from....its not bad at all....to its quite harsh over the bumps. I took the grand touring to a road which i knew was really really bad and it did quite well i thought. I'm buying this thing for the fun factor though and i definitely don't want to take away from that...but i don't know how much less fun a grand touring would be compared to track edition. How much better handling will it have with the limited slip diff, stiffer shocks, and bigger tires

2) Ok now for tires. I live. in central IL. While the winters aren't usually that bad (depending on the year)...we do definitely get a few heavy snowfalls or more a year. Will the track edition with its low profile tires be so bad in the snow that your going to have to get an extra set of rims/tires (big expense!!)? I remember in the forums everyone recommending an extra set for the mazdaspeed3. Do you think with traction control you would be ok most of the time. Heck even on hyundai's site they say "Not recommended for snow"

3) Hyundai cars have traditionally had horrible resale values. I think the sonata has turned into a pretty good car but yet it still doesn't have that great of resale. Do you think the genesis will be different just in case you want something different after 3 years? Thats whats so good about the accord. I'm not even 2 years into payments and yet i won't be loosing a dime on this car.

4) Do you think if someone is willing to wait until say near the end of the year (right after christmas) you would get a lot better deal? Right now the dealers are not willing to come that much off of MSRP. I'm hoping i can negotiate a track edition with a manual for 29k if i decide to go with the GC

5) This is more of a personal question. I'm trying to think between 3 colors: Yellow, Red, and Blue. Which one do you guys like the best? The Yellow is kind of cool in the sense that you can only get it in the track edition.

6) This is a easy question for you guys. Does the GC have an instantaneous fuel economy meter?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Ncage
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Even so, Genesis coupe doesn't have a sweet spot — it is a sweet spot.

Here is USA Today's take on the Genesis coupe...

USA Today

I think Healey kind of likes the coupe. ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    ya gotta like James Healey's take on the Coupe. If I were really rarin' ta go and get one of these Coupe's this review would not only be helpful it would put several beans in the positive Genesis Coupe front-engine RWD basket. I'd probably favor getting the manual-trannied 4-banger in the lower-range package. In red or orange color. It's a peach!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick