Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 vs. Nissan GT-R

2»

Comments

• revmattrevmatt Posts: 14
    But one (GT-R) and read the owners manual!
    If you use the launch mode, it voids the warranty!
    :P
  • What you said is NOT what the manual says, or ever did say. You're regurgitating internet rumors.

It says damage incurred by turning off the VDC will be at owner's cost. That is nothing close to permanently 'voiding' a warranty.

Using the word 'void' means you were never an owner. This would have been explained to you.

You can launch any 2010 or reprogrammed 2009 GT-R as many times as you want, warranty intact in VDC-R mode.

ANY GT-R owner would have picked up on this bit of info, since Nissan contacted ALL owners with the updated software patch, and REQUIRED that it be installed in the ECU and TCM at the next service.

They started this recall back in late 2008. It is fixed.
  • They announced in 2008 that updates would start in February.

http://www.gtrblog.com/2009/02/03/nissan-ecu-update-2010-demystified/?blog=4

Nissan North America’s campaign to update willing GT-R owner’s ECUs with the new 2010 firmware has already begun with one enthusiast, Matt “MC” from the North American GT-R Owners Club (NAGTROC), already taking them up on the offer. In the name of science he’s volunteered to have his GT-R go under the knife (so to speak) for the update and report back on the changes.

Matt’s report on the changes has demystified the workings in terms of the much rumoured launch control functions. First up the launch control is not gone, but it is modified. It is no longer a launch from 4,500rpm and it no longer requires the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) to be disengaged to function. That’s right the new launch control functions with VDC ON. It even functions with the gearbox in automatic mode.

So how does it work, you hold the brake on and floor the accelerator. The car revs to 3,000rpm and holds it there. Release the brake and off you go.

Matt has already tested this with a passenger in the car in manual mode and it’s good for 3.8’s 0-60mph times. Without a passenger, in auto mode or on a better surface perhaps it’s good for 3.7 seconds or faster. More testing is required.

The prime issue Nissan seemed to have with the launch control in the 2009 GT-R was the fact that to do it VDC had to be turned off, something the owners manual forbade. Now the launch is much more gentle but the effect is reported to be 80% as potent.

So if guys were hitting 11.6 second quarter mile ETs without launch control before the change, it will be interesting to see what they hit with this revised VDC ON version of the launch control.

Translated, Nissan has a fully warrantable LC feature.
  • This is the actual text from the letter that they make buyers sign.

Repairs for damage caused by driving with VDC OFF are expressly excluded under the terms of the Nissan GT-R New Car Limited Warranty. To avoid risk for such repairs, you are reminded to drive with VDC ON at all times. Except when stuck, there is no reason to be driving with VDC OFF.

This says nothing about 'void' It says the owner drives with VDC-off at their own risk.

The only thing that can void a warranty is tampering with the ECU, which you said "I had a "friend" eliminate records of launch control use from the balck box and sold it."

If you were an owner, you would have known that was a big no-no. Everything you say about this car is backwards.
  • Ok, the GT-R might not be as good looking as the ZR-1 or as fast, but at least it doesn't have cheap looking interior :lemon: as the ZR-1 and is less of a hassle when it comes to handling :P .
  • jsh3fanjsh3fan Posts: 1
    I'am pretty impressed with the power the nissan puts out, But I'm gonna half to give the credit to the vette, maybe if nissan could add 2 more cylinders they might have themselves a winner. I guess I'm a little partial to the bowtie guys
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118

Looks like a nice interior to me...
  • For what purpose would they need 2 more cylinders?

Mizuno has clearly stated he wants to keep tweaking the handling to see how fast
    he can get a 485hp chassis to go.

And it appears they already have themselves a winner with only suspension and
    rubber updates.

Autobild tests 2010 GT-R equipped with Dunlop SP Sport 600 (premium package tires) defeats ZR1 on Contidrom test track (Germany).

And the testers subjectively preferred the ZR1's driving dynamics. If anything,
    they were biased towards the Vette.
2»