Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,233
    Three options:
    1. As noted, try another dealer.
    2. Call Hyundai and open a case with them. Maybe they can nudge the dealer.
    3. You took it back 3 times and it wasn't fixed. Tell them to fix or you'll invoke the Lemon Law and they can buy it back. (Lemon Law requirements vary by state so check it out before you go this route)
  • The dealership hasnt fixed the problem yet, they have had my car for almost 2weeks. I've also already called hyundai consumer affairs they called the dealership and consumer affairs is calling me tuesday. So as of now the dealer has replaced the strutt gasket and o-ring, the strutt and the strutt-mount, who knows what they're doin to it now.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    edited February 2010
    Which dealership? It would be good to know so others can avoid them. It doesn't seem like they know cars or how to treat customers.
  • I dont think they know whats wrong with it, because now this will be the 4th time they've had it.
  • I drove a GLS as a loaner while my SE was being repaired and I did not notice any difference with the steering. I would definitely suggest taking it in to be checked out.
  • is the sound in the steering wheel or below you? I had a friend who had a part of the car horn come loose in the steering wheel and it had nearly the same symptoms.
  • The sound is below me, I can feel it in my feet, it happens every time I turn the wheel to the left and sometimes if I go over a speed bump.
  • They replaced the back springs but the front are on back order. I am just over driving it. Feels like I am driving a trampoline down the road.
    Did they explain why the springs were not the correct spec--and what in fact they were?? I wonder if they were springs from the SE, which has a stiffer ride (not trampoline-level however).
  • We found color choices dismal. But then, we were giving our nice yellow Toyota Matrix to our son (we miss it dearly). The yellow was a nice yellow - not the construction color you see on other manufacturers models. However, when looking to buy an E/T we found two choices, Black with Black interior or White with Black or tan interior and finally Black with Tan interior. You cannot imagine how dismayed we were with the color choices and not having time to order one in vivid blue - the only color we really would have chosen to begin with. We ended up with the Black Pearl (aughhhhhh) with tan interior. Tell ya what - NEVER again will we buy a black car unless they wash it for free on a weekly basis! What a mess! All the manufacturers need to step up to the color wheel!
  • mikey88mikey88 Posts: 9
    I purchases a 2010 Elantra one month ago. I love the car but one thing I notice is the brakes make noise after it rains which lessens after I drive the car but some noise still remains when I apply the brakes. I have 1600 miles on the car and am thinking of having the dealer check brakes when I get first oil change. Has anyone else noticed this noise on their new Elantra?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Is it a low rumbly/grinding type noise?
    yes, sort of, especially when it's wet out, but it gets much quieter after I start driving although I still hear slight noise when braking. I asked my mechanic and he said it's nothing to worry about. I'll keep an eye (or ear) on them though. I wouldn't expect brand new brake pads and rotors making any noise.
    Typical of oxidation on the rotors. When it rains, the moisture causes a bit of oxidation (rust) to form on the surface of the pads. If you look on a new car lot you'll see lots of brake rotors looking rusty. When you apply the brake the rust is eliminated and the sound diminishes.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,636
    Just like after coming out of a car wash...the brakes need to dry off. But same idea actually. Brakes should be just fine on such a new vehicle.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

That makes sense. The brakes have been quieter since we've had dry weather. Thanks.
    The issue will prove more noticeable during the humid summer months here in Birmingham, AL.

Enjoy your ride!

:)
    I am glad to see Hyundai is finally getting serious about crash safety of their sedans. The Genesis and Sonata are IIHS Top Safety Picks, and the 2010 Elantra would be a Top Safety Pick if it had been tested for rollover by the IIHS (which it hasn't yet) and scored well on that. Elantras made after November 2009 have design changes to improve side impact protection, which was Marginal and now Good. Also the whiplash protection is Good for 2010, up from Average in 2009. It's good to see Hyundai not waiting until the next-gen Elantra, which is right around the corner, to make significant safety improvements. Would have been nice if ESC had been added to the GLS at the same time, but that will come with the redesign for sure due to federal regs.
  • kinch417kinch417 Posts: 1
    Hello,

I test drove the Elantra last week and was surprised at how stiff it felt. The DH tried it, too and said he noticed it, too. Currently, he's driving a Nissan and I'm driving a Toyota. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, does this seem to be the same for all Hyundai models?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Check the tire pressure and maybe drive again. Often, cars come from the factory with tires that are grossly overinflated. This makes the ride seem harsher than it truly is.
  • afigafig Posts: 1
    I bought a 2010 Elantra about three months ago - brand new.

My Navigation system locks up when I believe the temperature in the car, after sitting in the sun, is high. When I start the car, the navigation system starts up, but even with AC running, after awhile I see a fuzzy image and every half inch I see a blue vertical line and the whole navigation system locks up.

When I say navigation system, I am including the radio, XM radio, GPS, and the Blue Tooth phone (the whole electronics package in the one unit). So all those functions quit working. While the car is still on, I can push the on/off volume control and the unit does turn off but comes back to its previous locked state when turned on after pushing the on/off button.

The only way to reset the navigation system is to turn the car off for over 5 minutes (not sure on exact time). I have turned off the car completely for 30 seconds and the navigation system comes back locked up.

Wondering what should I do ? And wondering if anyone knows a button combination that will allow me to reset the navigation system while I am driving (versus turning the car off on the side of the road for five minutes) ?

I was going to take it to the local dealer I bought it from. But I get the feeling over the phone they have never dealt with any Navigation system on the 2010. Meaning I am scared to take it to them in case something else goes wrong while they "tinker" with it. For other than the above everything in the car runs fine.
  • tannortannor Posts: 7
    I was at a dealer today, and looking at the 4 door GLS, and list price was $17,810, they gave me a price of $15,461 not including taxes, final price with taxes and everything else was $17,179

Is 15,416 the best you think I can do? Or i can negotiate to get it lower?

I am still going to look at the Kia Forte, to compare I heard good things about that car but not sure.

Thanks
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    We just picked up my wife's SE yesterday (7-3-10). The SE steering may be a little stiffer, since it has sport tuned steering and suspension. So far my wife hasn't found it to be an issue. She went from a 2003 Elantra GLS to the 2010 Elantra SE.
    Keep in mind, they do have electronic power steering, so on the highway, they will tighten up.
  • jblahjblah Posts: 7
    edited July 2010
    I got a 2010 Elantra GLS for 13500 OTD price. they tried to be a stickler for my trade-in offering me 500 below blue book fair value. I said I would leave because that was just insulting and started to leave but then they stopped me and said they would give me 200 below blue book fair value if I reconsidered. I estimated that 13500 OTD was probably +500 for me so that would make up for the -200 below blue book fair (although I would put it in between fair and good but who knows i'm not an appraisal expert). I got 3.9% financing though Hyundai for 60 mo. This is in the Northern VA area. Thoughts?
    So the OTD price includes or does not include the value of your trade? If the trade is included, how much did the dealer give you for it? What was the price of the car before taxes and fees? It's hard for others to compare deals w/o knowing facts like that.
  • jblahjblah Posts: 7
    edited July 2010
    the OTD price does not include the trade. it was 13500 OTD. it only includes tax, tag, title, freight, and all that stuff. i got 200 below bluebook fair price for the trade. i estimated the trade value to be between fair and good but i might have sentimental value for the car so i guess u can put it as fair. so it was 13500 - trade $ for the total price i paid.
  • on2010on2010 Posts: 2
    After being manipulated and intimidated into buying a new car, cars were switched without my knowledge and consent. I brought the wrong car back the next day for dealer to take back but they refused even they knew that I didn’t want that car from the start. Dealer offered to only buy it back or trade it in robbing me of thousands and thousands of dollars. They did everything possible to force the sale of the wrong car even processed unauthorized transaction on my credit card!
    General Manger of Crown completely ignored my emails for help! Hyundai Co. is no help either!
    Please be aware that any dealership can alter their contract anyway they want but they will not do so as they will not be able to rob you of your money!
    Crown Hyundai should have done the right thing and take the wrong car back, switch it back to the original car or return my money as this was their fault!
    As they haven’t done so I will NEVER buy anything at Crown Hyundai again!
  • on2010on2010 Posts: 2
    After being manipulated and intimidated into buying a new car, cars were switched without my knowledge and consent by Crown Hyundai, St. Petersburg, FL salesman. I brought the wrong car back the next day for dealer to take back but they refused even they knew that I didn’t want that car from the start. Dealer offered to only buy it back or trade it in robbing me of thousands and thousands of dollars. They did everything possible to force the sale of the wrong car even processed unauthorized transaction on my credit card!
    General Manger of Crown completely ignored my emails for help! Hyundai Co. is no help either!
    Please be aware that any dealership can alter their contract anyway they want but they will not do so as they will not be able to rob you of your money!
    Crown Hyundai should have done the right thing and take the wrong car back, switch it back to the original car or return my money as this was their fault!
    As they haven’t done so I will NEVER buy anything at Crown Hyundai again!
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    How about not letting yourself be "manipulated and intimidated into buying a new car"?