Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• Hi, bought a '10 Elantra last week and had no problems until Monday AM. Let it warm up 3-4 minutes and then it shifted 1st to 2nd up around 4000 rpm with a nice clunk/jolt (reminded me of a former car with transmission problems). thought maybe it was just the cold. Monday evening, same issue after sitting at work for 8 hours. Tuesday AM, same thing, a rough shift 1st the 2nd just trying to get out of my neighborhood. Wedensday AM, warmed up 6-7 minutes and no problem. Wednesday evening, slight jolt after sitting at work all day. Thursday AM, we tried 1-2 minute warm-up to see if it was indeed a "cold start" issue and the jolt/clunk happened trying to go to Reverse. hmmmm....has anyone had this issue with 2010 or previous Elantras? I have an appt. next week--just hoping to make it to and from work until then. thanks! :confuse:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    1-4 minutes is not enough to fully warm up the powertrain after sitting all day in cold weather. I don't know how cold it is where you live, but where I live it's been near -20 F recently, and I would never rev the engine to 4000 rpms in that kind of weather without driving it quite a ways first. (Actually, I could probably count on one hand the times I've had my 2004 Elantra up to 4000 rpms, in any weather.)

Let us know what the dealer says.
  • thanks! 4000 rpm was not intentional---it just happened that it would not shift until then, and was actually quite a surprise when this happened since the previous few days were fine. we are about 20-30F in the morning this time of year. i'll give extra-long warm-ups until I get it to the dealer. thanks again! :)
  • dovid2dovid2 Posts: 90
    With the state of modern automatic transmissions, you should not get any kind of jolt or clunk, no matter the weather. If I were you, I'd take it straight back to the dealer. Cars don't need long warmups these days.
  • update on the '10 Elantra. Took it in to let the dealer experience the car in the AM/cold and they have the same problem. Could be a sensor or could be something more, so they are going to replace the transmission. :sick: With less than 700 miles on the car, I sure hope this is a random fluke. :confuse: I am otherwise very happy with my car. thanks for the ideas and suggestions!
  • tommieztommiez Posts: 11
    Test drove a GLS and liked it but decided on the SE because of the features. I didn't test the SE because I assumed all the trims handled the same. But then the very last minute I tested the SE and was surprised to find the steering so stiff and uncompromising - like driving a truck. Is this my imagination or is there a tangible difference in the steering between the two. Thanks for your feedback.
  • I bought my 2010 Elantra 12 weeks ago ,only had the car for 2 weeks started to hear a loud knocking noise every time i turned the wheel to the left and if i went over a speed bump. Took the car to the dealership they tried to tell me thats just the way the car is, i didnt believe them so i brought it back a week later and they replaced a gasket and an o-ring,still had the same problem, after the service manager gave me the run around for 2 weeks i brought the car back and they replaced the whole strutt and strutt mount, it still makes the knocking noise.Wondering if anyone else who owns a 2010 Elantra has any problems with the suspension or makes any noises.
    Find another dealer. I've driven many 2007-9 Elantras (same design as the 2010) and there's been no loud knocking noise when turning the wheel or going over a speed bump. You might also call Hyundai Customer Service and report this run-around you are getting from the dealer.
  • I just bought a 2010 Elantra and the next day I was calling the salesperson because the ride was very bouncy. It was so bouncy that it was making me sick to my stomach. They now say after four trips to the dealership that it has the wrong springs installed on the vehicle. Did the dealership resolve your problem??
    Was the dealer able to fix the problem? Which part(s) were replaced? I ask because I am wondering if in fact it was the struts that were replaced, vs. springs.

This is the first time I have heard of this problem in ANY new car, let alone an Elantra. Must be some huge mess-up on the assembly line to put the wrong springs/whatever into the car! :surprise:
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Three options:
    1. As noted, try another dealer.
    2. Call Hyundai and open a case with them. Maybe they can nudge the dealer.
    3. You took it back 3 times and it wasn't fixed. Tell them to fix or you'll invoke the Lemon Law and they can buy it back. (Lemon Law requirements vary by state so check it out before you go this route)
  • The dealership hasnt fixed the problem yet, they have had my car for almost 2weeks. I've also already called hyundai consumer affairs they called the dealership and consumer affairs is calling me tuesday. So as of now the dealer has replaced the strutt gasket and o-ring, the strutt and the strutt-mount, who knows what they're doin to it now.
    edited February 2010
    Which dealership? It would be good to know so others can avoid them. It doesn't seem like they know cars or how to treat customers.
  • I dont think they know whats wrong with it, because now this will be the 4th time they've had it.
  • I drove a GLS as a loaner while my SE was being repaired and I did not notice any difference with the steering. I would definitely suggest taking it in to be checked out.
  • is the sound in the steering wheel or below you? I had a friend who had a part of the car horn come loose in the steering wheel and it had nearly the same symptoms.
  • The sound is below me, I can feel it in my feet, it happens every time I turn the wheel to the left and sometimes if I go over a speed bump.
  • They replaced the back springs but the front are on back order. I am just over driving it. Feels like I am driving a trampoline down the road.
    Did they explain why the springs were not the correct spec--and what in fact they were?? I wonder if they were springs from the SE, which has a stiffer ride (not trampoline-level however).
  • We found color choices dismal. But then, we were giving our nice yellow Toyota Matrix to our son (we miss it dearly). The yellow was a nice yellow - not the construction color you see on other manufacturers models. However, when looking to buy an E/T we found two choices, Black with Black interior or White with Black or tan interior and finally Black with Tan interior. You cannot imagine how dismayed we were with the color choices and not having time to order one in vivid blue - the only color we really would have chosen to begin with. We ended up with the Black Pearl (aughhhhhh) with tan interior. Tell ya what - NEVER again will we buy a black car unless they wash it for free on a weekly basis! What a mess! All the manufacturers need to step up to the color wheel!