Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G37 Transmission Problems

myg37myg37 Posts: 7
edited January 2 in Infiniti
I just got a new 2010 infiniti g37 sedan ( not sport model ) , maybe it's in my head but i think the car at some times doesn't shift thru 3 rd gear to 4 gear or 4 to 5 , at times it hesitates and rev's up then catches and goes. and sometimes it bog's down then catches. ( auto trans ) this is hard to explain , just curious if any other new g37 owners think they have this issue. thanks , mike D

Comments

• ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    Hi, myg37,

I moved your post to the G37 iPod/iPhone Integration topic, where it's more likely to be seen. Just click the link to get there.

Need help navigating? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• myg37myg37 Posts: 7
    my 2010 infiniti g37 sedan , i keep getting these weather alerts. telling me that bad weather in my area or 10 to 20 miles from my area , can somebody please tell me how to turn this off.
  • Just picked my G37x up last night. Mine does the same thing. i drove around for an hour trying to see if it corrected. I may take it back tomorrow.

RD7
    edited February 2010
    thanks for your reply , I took back to the shop on wed and the tech drove it and hooked it up to there computer , he said that it's shifting normal and the computer has no updates at this time. I believe that when the tech drove it he did feel what I said the tranny is doing. but infiniti has no fix for it know. if more people keep complaing maybe infiniti will provide a computer update for this problem. this problem is really bothering me I'm not happy with this. if no fix soon I am considering a lease transfer to get out.
    please let me know what your dealer say's if you take it back.
  • I took mine back after two days ad the dealer did the same thing. The fact that a trained professional couldn't sense the problem means that they won't acknowledge it yet. I do not plan on letting this issue persist. I will be contacting Infiniti USA until it is resolved. They don't want a transmission recall now, I'm sure Toyota is not having much fun with theirs.
  • Hi, congratulation on your new car, could you say what kind of gas mileage are you getting?
    Computer on car say's 18.5 mpg mostely city driving . not much highway.
    well this problem still is going on , i have around 800 miles on car know , i guess it's still going thru it's break in period. but what it's doing doesn't feel like it will fix it self after a proper break in. i wish infiniti would see that there is a real issue here.
    reddragon 7 please keep me informed with your results when you contact infiniti usa , i will be doing the same. thks , mike D
  • sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    edited February 2010
    Go to myg37.com. This issue has been discussed at length there. There is 2 possible scenarios. 1- The car is going through its learning process of your driving style, since you are doing mainly city driving there is a lot of stop n go and maybe the car is taking longer to adjust properly. 2- There is a real problem, in which case there is a fix for that or the worst case scenario, this cannot be fixed and you may need a new transmission or car :surprise: . To be frank, just judging by your driving circumstances and your description, I think its not the worst the case scenario. However its best to discuss this with a wider audience of G37 owners.

I have a '10 G37xS with similar mileage, no problems with the transmission to date.

I noticed you also described your annoyance with the weather updates. I am in the same boat, whoever thought of bringing weather updates to the car is NUTS. This is technology that is beyond useless IMO. I have not tried to disable it however. After the 3 months free XM service, I will just renew the radio service only.

Good luck and hopefully you will zero in on what is happening.
  • I have two G37/08 and 09 and yes they have transmission issues. I took both cars back at least 6 times each..they have change the slave cylinder..the car sometime pull back or hesitate into gears. The transmission also make noise..Infiniti know there is big issues with the transmission and they are denying it...The dash boards make rattling sounds and the breaks makes noise...All G37 owners try to turn off ur radio and listen to your car while you drive...there is big issues brewing.
  • Myg37,
    I just got back from the dealership. The tech took a ride with me in my car and agreed to sluggish shifting and acceleration. We took another 2010 g37 demo out and it seemed a little better but had the same issues. They are submitting an inquiry to corporae so the ball is rolling on addressing the issue. Please do the same at your dealership so we can mke this issues more urgent.
    The on possible reasoning I got was the adaptive 7-gear tranny may be more tuned to seek better MPG's than acceleration. I hope they didn't tune a 300+ hp engine to better gov't fuel requiremets!!!
    In any case, I will keep you up on my progress. Until then, I'm using the manual shifting mode.

Red Dragon 7
    Nothing is brewing. I get my info from myg37.com. As far as the transmission issue is concerned there is a thread there which is about 3 pages long with the majority having no problems. The high frequency issue is a problem with about 50% having the issue, but Infiniti has developed a fix for that. This is also on myg37.com with a +20 page thread dedicated to that.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    hey guys, just FYI, that is the XM NavWeather that you get complimentary for the first 3 months you have the vehicle, along with the XM radio and navtraffic!

I had the same thing on my 2010 Maxima and while I'm not sure you can turn it off, I lived with it until after the 3 month trial was over and didn't renew the navtraffic or navweather with XM; after the 3 months it will not do it anymore, unless you renew everything with XM, I just renewed the radio because I don't need to know what the weather is outside, I can just look out my window for free!!
    edited February 2010
    "The on possible reasoning I got was the adaptive 7-gear tranny may be more tuned to seek better MPG's than acceleration. I hope they didn't tune a 300+ hp engine to better gov't fuel requiremets!!!"

I have to disagree. Although I am still in break in period for the '10 its right on par with the 08 G35 I had as far as acceleration concerned. I am not exactly following the "break in rules" as I am training her for my driving style, once its broken in she will be exactly where she needs to be. Believe me it takes a lot to be at par with the VQ35HRs in the acceleration dept. Once its fully broken in it should start to edge the VQ35HR, but only just a bit.

I still think you really need to go to a G37 forum with your issues since not every dealer out there knows these cars as well as the guys there. In addition, you have a very tiny audience here. It helps to use multiple sources, this one included. I remember how my dealer knew probably 50% of what I know, I just wanted him to shut up and just let me drive, not that I needed the test drive.
  • aed1aed1 Posts: 3
    Just bought a 09 g37 coupe w/sport pkg. Had an 04 and loved it. Assumed it would be the same - just with updated interior. 2 weeks and 900 miles and I hate the new one. The transmission is so busy finding gears it's hard to get it to go! Would take it back if I thought I could. Have an appt. with the dealership but sounds like they cant' do much. Additional gripe - the fabulous tight steering on my 04 is gone on the 09. Too much power assist -
  • liberating2009liberating2009 Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I am the proud new owner of a G37 Journey, and this is my first time working with a preowned. I have owned it for 3 months and 2 days after I had the car the VDC/off and Slip lights came on. Yes it affects the car. The cruise will not stay on and it slips into "safe mode" which will not allow the car to go over 30 mph. The car can be reset if the motor is turned off then restarted.

The company is not having any success (after over 35 days working on the car) of fixing this. Has anyone else had any problems with the VDC/off and/or Slip lights? Any suggestions?
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    edited June 2010
    aed1: Man, are you ever correct !! I just picked up a new 2010 G37X. I only test drove for a 10-15 minutes with the same Dealer who leased me a 2007 G35X. The 7 speed AT is terrible. It has affected the Driveability of this great car so much, I'm FLOORED.... It "hunts" for the right gear as you said, lags a little on the downshift (in D Mode anyway), and has that......funny Overdrive type feeling at 30 to 40 MPH when driving on local streets. Oh yeah, the mileage is better - seen immediately even w/o full break in. Only have 180 miles on the clock. I'm 58 years old, Loved my G35X, it was a fantastic car, terrific in the snow and all kinds of weather, stuck like glue on the road, Still haven't learned my lessons: TEST DRIVE VEHICLES 10 TIMES IF YOU HAVE TO; AND DON'T REACT TO YOUR IMPULSES. I should have bought my G35X which had only 25k miles. Similar to your response, you know that there is no Fix For this - ECU upgrade, etc. the design was to improve mileage ratings, sacrificing driveability. Also, I fel the steering has been lightened - less road feel, too.
  • wjv1wjv1 Posts: 3
    Good evening,

Any luck on getting your transmission issue resolved? My '10 G37Sx automatic does the same thing. Has about 1300 miles on it. Didn't notice it initially. Funny thing is, this issue is most noticeable first thing in the morning or after it has sat for a while. Once it has gone through a few cycles, the shifting is smooth as silk. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for its first check up. This is so very frustrating.

Thanks, Bill
    No luck with Infiniti fixing my tranny issues , I have taken back twice and each time they played it off that it's normal. We are waiting for an ECU update to fix this proplem which i hope comes soon. I have called infiniti usa and got no help from them , I'm sorry I'm stuck in a lease because i would have allready sold the car and taken a hit just to get out. such a great car sad to think infiniti can't fix this issue. Mike D
  • clamboclambo Posts: 1
    I bought a 2010 G37S, same issue, especially noticed on the highway when i'm lane changing, it sits there for a second and "thinks" about what gear to go in, by then i've pushed it to the floor to get the heck out of the way of the car ready to hit me because the tranny isn't reactive enough.
    I'm sure you all have found this out, but the DS mode helps, and i got the paddle shifters, that eliminates the issue completely because i'm doing the "thinking" and you can blip up and down quicker than the car will do. Clearly they designed this to get better MPH when in D. A friend of mine has a 7 series with an 8speed tranny, his does the same thing.