Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G37 Transmission Problems

Comments

• jfogofo, can you be a bit more specific about the date you last went? I just called my dealership on the 11th and they said there was no service bulletin available for two more months, for the transmission lag. Would be great to learn that they were wrong about waiting another two months. After reading your post, I called my dealership and a service technician said there are some updates available but, without bringing my car in they can't tell me if any apply to my car. They said one update was for hard shifting and not the lagged shifting everyone here is talking about. I made an appointment anyway - hard, lagged (maybe semantics) - for tomorrow to see if an update will apply and if so, if it does anything. I'll also update here on it.
  • I sure would like to hear about your visit. I have an appt on Saturday for an oil change. Would be nice to have a properly working transmission as well.
  • No go. I showed up and the dealership said there must have been some mistake - that there are no service bulletin updates. Fed up with my dealership's lack of knowledge (they again told me two weeks), I called Consumer Affairs to tell them I want them to call me direct when a fix is available. They took my info and said they would and that I can also call them monthly to find out more. They said they have no timeline on a fix but they are working on it.
  • I had my car in on Jan 12th (2011 G37S.) I don't know what the exact TSB# was, the sheet just said "ECT and TCM updates made", and the service manager told me on the phone that the exact problem I was describing had a lot of complaints behind it. I still haven't been able to really test it, but the shifting up and down is much smoother overall, no doubt.
    I'm not entirely convinced yet that the "lag" is fixed during sudden slow downs /immediate acceleration right after, since I still need to recreate that scenario. It's frustrating to think this could be a permanent issue, but I still love my car, and feel it was the best choice for all the features I wanted. The "adaptive" driving feature is making me wonder if I could teach it to behave?
    I'm in California, not sure if location of service makes a difference...?
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    jfogofo, It doesn't make a difference where you are!! The TSB they applied came out Jan 2011 (see MyG37.com Forum - check the Threads labelled Transmission Reprogramming, btw, read the hundreds upon hundreds of posts if you have the time} the TSB is as follows:TSB ITB10-075 . It was issued to address the harsh downshifts that some people complain about 3>2 and 2>1, But Does NOTHING about the terrible Lagging. In fact, it involves resetting the ECU (whenever a Reprogramming is setforth - it resets the ECU), it affects the so called : Adaptive Driver Control, where the Car "learns" and adapts to your driving behavior...(check the Infiniti Web Site and the cars specifications page, it's listed there).
  • I have a 2010 G37 coupe purchased in Nov. 2010 and have had similar problems. The transmission seems to be erratic at times especially if you are not driving aggresively (I like to call this soft pedaling). I may be going about 30 mph and than try coasting and the car shifts to a mystery gear, the RPM drops to 1000 and it holds there momentarily even if I continue to accelerate slowly. At times on the highway if traffic is bad and moving slowly, upon acceleration, the car hesitates big time and I have almost been hit by other cars as I try to change lanes. The dealership told me in the past that the car computer is learning my driving habits. So far I've got 15 K miles and the car still hasn't learned anything. It continues to give me big problems and I am going to try to contact the government safety office to see if they can do something about the problem. I'm afraid someone might get killed due to this problem and Infiniti should have taken some sort of action by now to protect consumers.
  • almattialmatti Posts: 164
    Mike, forget the gov't safety council.....Contact Infiniti Consumers Affairs - call or email about your complaint. Go to their Web site and you will find the Consumers Affairs page. Just follow the prompts or better Call !!

The more the merrier who file the complaints. Tomorrow is my meeting with a Factory Tech about my complainst filed (read my previous posts and on MyG37.com [almatti]). I am insisting on either an immediate "fix" {which apparently is NOT out there yet} or Return the car, my deposit on the lease, walk away from the lease with no further obligations.
  • amojebaamojeba Posts: 17
    Very curious to see how your appointment goes. I think it's a fair request given the circumstances (what you're asking for)....but you know how corporations are. Only looking out for themselves.

If it does work, and word gets out that Infiniti is giving refunds on leases, I'm sure that would force them to promptly address the issues, rather than continue to sweep it under the rug. It's all about the bottom line $$ for them.

Keep us posted!!
  • I hate to sound like a broken record but I am having the same problems. I described it to the service guy and it didn't get through. Bad weather didn't help. That being said, service has followed up and I was able to take a technician on a 15 minute ride and show him exactly what is happening.

I describe it as follows:
    When at speed above 45 km per hour, brake down to any speed between 35 and 45 kph. Immediate depress the accelerator pedal - soft or hard. This causes a momentary pause in acceleration plus delayed throttle response.

This is dangerous, especially when making left hand turns or highway passing.

Technician will have car Monday. Will update you if I get anything back.
  • I have a 2011 G37 convertible sport. Of course, I have the same problem and had the same problem with my 2011 M37 sport which I traded in after only 9 months thinking it would be better but its the same tranny. I've gone through all of the bull with infiniti and they say the same thing about the tranny. Its just the way it was designed.
    OK, ALTHOUGH ITS VERY HARD TO PUT TOGETHER A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AND EDMONDS DOESN'T CONDONE IT WE HAVE ANOTHER OPTION AND HERE IT IS;
    AS OF THIS MORNING THE NATIONAL NEWS REPORTS THAT A LADY WITH A HONDA HYBRID WON A PERSONAL SMALL CLAIM AGAINST HONDA FOR $10,000 FOR FALSE ADVERTIZING THEIR MILEAGE. A PROFESSOR OF LAW AT CAL DAVIS UNIVERSITY SAID THAT IF ENOUGH CONSUMERS FILE A CLAIM IN SMALL CLAIMS COURT OVER THE SAME THING, IT WILL CERTAINLY GET THE ATTENTION OF THE COMPANY AND NATIONAL ATTENTION. I AM FILING A SMALL CLAIM TODAY AGAINST INFINITI FOR THIS ISSUE AND I WILL BE BRINGING ALL OF MY EVIDENCE INCLUDING ALL YOUR COMPLAINTS TO COURT. WE SHOULD ALL DO IT AT THE SAME TIME AROUND THE US AND THIS MIGHT GET INFINITI TO WAKE UP!!! I'M TIRED OF PAYING $718.00 PER MONTH FOR A CRAPPY , DANGEROUS TRANSMISSION!!
  • Well, I must say I am not satisfied. I get my car back with a report saying that the transmission responds the same as a 2011 transmission and that there is no issue. No computer codes are being generated by the transmission.

So I am left with monitoring my car and calling Infiniti Canada Customer Service 1-800-361-4792. The one thing I do not want to do is be reminded about how disappointed I am.

I am glad this is a lease and I will be returning it next year.
  • I also have (had) a 2010 G37xS. Nissan bought the car back for 90% of the purchase price !! :)
  • ljelawljelaw Posts: 17
    Congratulations! I just took my 2009 G37XS in for transmission hesitation and flaring, and they said they couldn't replicate it. Either they are insane, I am, or they've gotten me that way. The disconnect is unbelievable. How did you persuade them to buy you out?
  • Document, document, document, then when Nissan tells you repeatedly after many failed reprogrammings that the transmission operates normally, if you are in Canada, use the Canadian Automobile Manufacturers Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP.com).

I received an Arbitration award, and Nissan was ordered to buy the vehicle back. Nissan resisted all the way, 'defending' the operation of the transmission as normal, and criticizing my driving style. The Arbitrator saw it differently.

I had my vehicle over 1 year and the entire ownership experience was hell. Many times I felt like giving up and trading or selling the vehicle. Perhaps that was the Nissan strategy.

Everyone with this issue, in Canada, should use the CAMVAP process. Good luck to all of you, and don't give up !! I hope to see more postings like mine in the future.
  • lusozicilusozici Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Sadly, I have an '09 G37x, 34k, same issues, although my car has thrown in an additional wrench which puts me in a very precarious position. Three times my transmission has disengaged (yes disengaged) from the motor at speeds between 60-75mph, leaving me unable to do anything but throw on blinkers and coast to the side of the road. The car is still at the dealership, and though they've been able to duplicate parts of the problem (bucking/jerking, bad MAF) they have yet to duplicate the disengaging.

This is more than a little disconcerting, very unsafe, and I have no confidence the car can be fixed. I'm working with Infiniti consumer affairs, but don't really have many options at this point except to wait and see what the dealer comes back with. I've been an avid Nissan fan for many years, beginning with my first 300zx, but this may well be my last Nissan.
  • Hi Mike, I have had mostly the same issues w/ '11 G37X Sedan 7AT. It never did any if this dopey stuff until AFTER 3,000 Mi. from new delivery.
    I just filed a NTSHA Safety Complaint yesterday. You may be able to access it as per the "ODI# 10448934". Apparently when filing such, one agrees that the text of the complait becomes public-domain record. SO-BE-IT.
    I am truly disgusted that Infiniti seems to be either un-ABLE or ... UN-WILLING to eat the cost to resolve this GLARING GLITCH with the JATCO 7AT ROM data & control architecture. Even if it required replacing ALL Computing elements in each so-equipped VIN, it should be reqiired by Law. :lemon:
    Please advise as to ANY progress on VIN specific issues per your dialoog with Nissan USA & Infinti Consumer Affairs. THANKS, Mack
  • Message from a new guy with same the car but a different story: I own a 2010 G37 Journey that I bought new two years ago (build date of Feb. 2010), and based on value, performance, appearance and comfort, I consider it to be the best car I have ever owned. I've had lots of them too, and I'm a dealer's worst nightmare when comes to demanding that a car operate as it should.

I was surprised when I stumbled onto this forum last night and read all the complaints about the seven-speed transmission. It took awhile, but I read every single post. I had errands today so I made many attempts in several hours of driving to replicate the engine stumble or pause that is so thoroughly described by many of you. I couldn't make it happen. My routine was to brake moderately or hard down to approximately 25mph and accelerate quickly back to 60mph or so. I tried other speeds also, but it wouldn't happen. It doesn't hunt for gears either.

What this tells me is that I am lucky and that this pause or hesitation problem is not prevalent in all 2010-2012 G cars with the automatic transmission. This would seem to discredit Infiniti representatives who suggest this condition is somehow normal. It seems more likely that batches of transmissions, but not all, are faulty for what could be many reasons. If it was just software, you would think they would have it figured out by now. The fix may be a software patch, but it sounds like there's more to it.

My heart goes out to all of you who love their cars and have to live with a problem that is much more than a mere annoyance. It would keep me awake at night. If it's any consolation, I do experience moderately harsh down shifts when stopping quickly. It's like the tranny doesn't have enough time to sequence down smoothly. But it's not going back to the dealer for a reflash because of the risk of coming back worse than when it went in.

It has been mentioned before, but one thing I would try is to disconnect the negative battery cable for several hours to let the ECU and TCU return to their original state. Then reconnect and drive the car. If it has made any difference whatsoever, then it might well be just a software issue.

Best of luck to you all!
  • joefrisjoefris Posts: 2
    To all,
    I recently leased a new 2011 G37XS. In the past I owned several Nissan models and other GM, Ford vehicles as well. It was not until I "upgraded" to the Infiniti (top of the Nissan line) that I had a hesitation in the transmission. This occurs when the vehicle is downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear and if I try to accelerate there is a brief hesitation. This has occurred several times when trying to change lanes on freeways creating an unsafe condition.
    I took the vehicle back to Infiniti and was told this is a normal condition. I vehemently disagreed and was told this is called TIP (which I interpret as Transmission In Pause). I spoke with Infiniti Consumer Affairs and was assigned a case #. After 6 attempts to get through to them again I got the number of the National Vehicle Safety Administration. I called them at 1-888-327-4236 and filed an official complaint. This took under 10 minutes. This is the agency that issues recalls when safety complaints are brought to their attention. I urge all of you to call and file a complaint and perhaps Infiniti will fix the issue.
  • joefrisjoefris Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Steve,
    Mine happens when the vehicle downshifts from 4th to 3rd gear at 20 - 23 MPH.
  • amojebaamojeba Posts: 17
    Hi Joefris

I can assure you that the National Vehicle Safety Administration does NOT, I repeat, NOT issue safety recalls. They can investigate the matter if they choose, and make recommendations. But that's about it.

But it is ultimately up to the manufacturer to issue recalls. A company's decision whether to recall is purely a financial one. They calculate the math, and decide if it's cheaper to issue a broad sweeping recall, or deal with each complaint and repair (if there is one) on an individual case by case basis.

In this case, there will never be a recall, b/c there's no "fix" for it.

I'm not saying I agree with it. But those are the facts of how it works. I've contacted NVSA myself regarding another vehicle in the past, and no matter how many complaints they get, nothing can prompt a recall.
    Your best bet is a class action lawsuit. That's how Honda settled their defective rear brake design that wore out after only 12k miles.